I know it’it has beenn a ...

Reading mode:
I Know It Has Been Mentioned, But This Is More Confirmation
I Know It Has Been Mentioned, But This Is More Confirmation
Jan 14, 2014
I happen to be a buddy of an owner of a well-known camera store in New York - Will not mention the name here so no one thinks I am advertising them
- but I spoke to him today and I got some more confirmation about the rumors out there.
Per his Sony rep which he talks to on a weekly basis:
1- Yes, the &NEX& name is gone, 100% guaranteed.
2- &Alpha& will be the new names for the APS-C mirrorless cameras.
3- APS-C Mirrorless cameras will have model numbers in the thousands....just like the Alpha 3000 and Alpha 5000.
4- NEX-7 has been discontinued. The NEX-6 will also be discontinued in the future, probably about a month before the replacement is announced. Reason why it has not been discontinued and the NEX-7 has, is because it has sold very well due to its low price.
5- NEX-7 successor will be announced in the first quarter this year. Rumored model name of &Alpha 7000& is not confirmed as of now, simply a rumor. Not even the Sony rep could tell him what the final model name will be, but he did say it will be the flagship APS-C mirrorless camera without a doubt.
6- Sony is working on a F2.8 fixed zoom lens (probably a 16-50 or 17-55). They plan to release a new APS-C lens road map when they announce the NEX-7 successor.
Just thought I would pass on some info that was shared with me today!
Reply to thread
Re: I Know It Has Been Mentioned, But This Is More Confirmation
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
Alpha has always been the name of the APS-C mirrorless. Removing the NEX part will make it more prominent, but it was already there.
Nice to know about the new cameras (This as rumored to be announced in 2 or 3 weeks), and obvious the 2.8 zoom is a very good surprise.
&TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5
Sony Alpha NEX-6
Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
kcamacho11 wrote:
I happen to be a buddy of an owner of a well-known camera store in New York - Will not mention the name here so no one thinks I am advertising them
- but I spoke to him today and I got some more confirmation about the rumors out there.
3- APS-C Mirrorless cameras will have model numbers in the thousands....just like the Alpha 3000 and Alpha 5000.
4- NEX-7 has been discontinued. The NEX-6 will also be discontinued in the future, probably about a month before the replacement is announced. Reason why it has not been discontinued and the NEX-7 has, is because it has sold very well due to its low price.
5- NEX-7 successor will be announced in the first quarter this year. Rumored model name of &Alpha 7000& is not confirmed as of now, simply a rumor. Not even the Sony rep could tell him what the final model name will be, but he did say it will be the flagship APS-C mirrorless camera without a doubt.
6- Sony is working on a F2.8 fixed zoom lens (probably a 16-50 or 17-55). They plan to release a new APS-C lens road map when they announce the NEX-7 successor.
Thank you!
Do you have any 'off the record' comments about what your friend thinks of:
- Sony dropping the NEX name 'because it was too popular'
- The restyling that we have seen in EVF viewfinder cameras recently (did the rep give any hints about if the new APS-C camera will have a 'hump').  Is it his opinion that Rangfinder-styled 'brick' cameras like the NEX-6 & 7 don't sell well to americans because they don't look like 'real cameras' and so a 'DSLR-styled' camera is necessary to sell well in the US market?
-- hide signature --DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me
&parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony a77 II
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
parallaxproblem wrote:
Thank you!
- The restyling that we have seen in EVF viewfinder cameras recently (did the rep give any hints about if the new APS-C camera will have a 'hump'). Is it his opinion that Rangfinder-styled 'brick' cameras like the NEX-6 & 7 don't sell well to americans because they don't look like 'real cameras' and so a 'DSLR-styled' camera is necessary to sell well in the US market?
-- hide signature --DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me
- The rep did not mention why they dropped the NEX name.
- He did not mention the styling of the NEX-7 successor
- He stated the NEX-7 sold well, but the NEX-6 beat in sales due to its lower price and similar body-style. He mentioned to the store owner that in his opinion, it was a mistake by Sony. But, he did say that this time around the NEX-7 successor will clearly be the better camera, with the NEX-6 successor sitting behind it as far as specs, build, and features go.
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
kcamacho11 wrote:
parallaxproblem wrote:
Thank you!
- The restyling that we have seen in EVF viewfinder cameras recently (did the rep give any hints about if the new APS-C camera will have a 'hump'). Is it his opinion that Rangfinder-styled 'brick' cameras like the NEX-6 & 7 don't sell well to americans because they don't look like 'real cameras' and so a 'DSLR-styled' camera is necessary to sell well in the US market?
- The rep did not mention why they dropped the NEX name.
- He did not mention the styling of the NEX-7 successor
- He stated the NEX-7 sold well, but the NEX-6 beat in sales due to its lower price and similar body-style. He mentioned to the store owner that in his opinion, it was a mistake by Sony. But, he did say that this time around the NEX-7 successor will clearly be the better camera, with the NEX-6 successor sitting behind it as far as specs, build, and features go.
Many thanks for the feedback
A bit confused, what was a mistake in his opinion, dropping the NEX name, or the NEX-7 release specs?
Sony a77 II
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
parallaxproblem wrote:
A bit confused, what was a mistake in his opinion, dropping the NEX name, or the NEX-7 release specs?
The mistake in his opinion was Sony releasing a very similar NEX-6 at a lower price range, with a better high ISO performance sensor and hybrid AF system. This attracted more people to go with the NEX-6 rather than the NEX-7.
He did mention that the NEX-7 successor will be the best ASP-C mirrorless camera they have released as of yet and predicts many people will jump on it.
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
parallaxproblem wrote:
kcamacho11 wrote:
I read that as &NEX-6 was too close to NEX-7& and people spent less, on the NEX-6. Personally, I weighed up the pros and the cons, and went with the NEX-7. I am still glad that I did. The NEX-6 is a fine camera, but isn't up to the NEX-7 image quality (in my opinion).
-- hide signature --Martin
&martindesu's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3
Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton
Sony FE 55mm F1.8
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
kcamacho11 wrote:
parallaxproblem wrote:
The mistake in his opinion was Sony releasing a very similar NEX-6 at a lower price range, with a better high ISO performance sensor and hybrid AF system. This attracted more people to go with the NEX-6 rather than the NEX-7.
He did mention that the NEX-7 successor will be the best ASP-C mirrorless camera they have released as of yet and predicts many people will jump on it.
Thanks for the info!
Edit: it's strange that the Rep should think the NEX-6 was a mistake because it sold too well. We have just heard a similar explanation for discontinuing the NEX name as it had 'too much recognition' and was eclipsing the Alpha name
What on earth is going on with Sony that they get upset when product sales exceed expectations - do they automatically think 'we sold it too cheaply'?
Sony a77 II
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
martindesu wrote:
parallaxproblem wrote:
kcamacho11 wrote:
I read that as &NEX-6 was too close to NEX-7& and people spent less, on the NEX-6. Personally, I weighed up the pros and the cons, and went with the NEX-7. I am still glad that I did. The NEX-6 is a fine camera, but isn't up to the NEX-7 image quality (in my opinion).
-- hide signature --Martin
I also prefer the feel of the NEX-7
I compared NEX-5R and NEX-6 together and found I really didn't like the lightweight feel of the NEX-6.  I got the 5R as it felt better made (though still not as good as the original 5) and a separate EVF but if I had wanted an EVF camera I guess I would have ponied-up the extra for the 7
As an amateur I find the 'feel' of a camera to be important.  I take photos for pleasure and if a camera doesn't feel good then some of that pleasure is removed...
Sony a77 II
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
I see the NEX-7 as superior too, but I guess it was more about people jumping on the NEX-6 because it offered basically almost everything the NEX-7 did for a lesser price.
Either way, I absolutely adore my NEX-7 and it is by far my favorite camera of all time. I am impatiently waiting for the successor to be announced. As soon as it is, I will be calling my buddy at the camera store right away for a pre-order!
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
parallaxproblem wrote:
kcamacho11 wrote:
parallaxproblem wrote:
Thanks for the info!
Edit: it's strange that the Rep should think the NEX-6 was a mistake because it sold too well. We have just heard a similar explanation for discontinuing the NEX name as it had 'too much recognition' and was eclipsing the Alpha name
What on earth is going on with Sony that they get upset when product sales exceed expectations - do they automatically think 'we sold it too cheaply'?
I think you're reading it wrongly. The mistake is not with the NEX-6, as shown Sony is continuing it while discontinuing the NEX-7. Their lineup was not balanced enough in terms of spec vs price. This doesn't mean either was a mistake, simply a correction after the evolution of the cameras.  The decisions about when to start and finish selling products are often made years in advance.  Sony will adapt to sales, of course, but it's quite possible they decided 2 years ago that they would do this with the NEX6 and 7.
The NEX name being discontinued is, in my opinion, to do with brand de-proliferation and brand power. I am referring here to the Alpha brand rather than the Sony brand. This is common in many industries, and is extremely important to overall brand image. It's a short term gain (continuing NEX, keeping current recognition) versus long term strategy (strengthening Alpha, with a clearly recognisable premium brand and an obvious upgrade path, from Alpha 3000 to Alpha 7, for instance).
Sony is not concerned with over-recognition of NEX. They are simply de-proliferating their brands, choosing to strengthen just a few brands (i.e. Cybershot and Alpha) rather than have many brands, to make their camera lineup clearer for consumers.
It makes perfect sense to me.
-- hide signature --mein fotoblog:
&Alex 13's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Sony FE 28mm F2
Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
As an amateur I find the 'feel' of a camera to be important. I take photos for pleasure and if a camera doesn't feel good then some of that pleasure is removed...
The feel (handling) of a camera is much more important at this moment then the proclaimed IQ. All mirrorless cameras with larger chip (say m43 and larger) offer great IQ, differences are minimal. So my advice always is to trya camera in a shop and buy the one you like best! Don't go by the saying of an other, what works for me may not work for you...
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
I'm not visiting the forums much in recent years but this &no more NEX& is just bizarre.  Especially since they have clearly been successful.
To me NEX = E-Mount.  So are they getting rid of the E-Mount then?  Yea, I didn't think so.
And what happens to all the video NEX stuff?
Could be a sales driven ploy to make everyone who owns anything NEX feel like they have outdated gear now.  Strange stuff.
-- hide signature --- Karen
&iGirl's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
Alex 13 wrote:
I think you're reading it wrongly. The mistake is not with the NEX-6, as shown Sony is continuing it while discontinuing the NEX-7. Their lineup was not balanced enough in terms of spec vs price. This doesn't mean either was a mistake, simply a correction after the evolution of the cameras. The decisions about when to start and finish selling products are often made years in advance.
Yes. This is called : when you have a too similar product to another, the former can &steal& buyers from the latter. It is also to be said, if I'm not wrong, that the NEX-7 production , two years ago, because of the floods in Thailand: this very likely changed the plans at Sony. Perhaps in the original plans the NEX-7 should have reached the peak of sells earlier and without suffering from the cannibalisation from the NEX-6. Actually, I've been quite confused when I had to choose between the NEX-7 and the NEX-6: there's no clear winner, in the sense that each camera has something more and something less than the other, and OTOH the NEX-6 seems to have some purportedly reduced features, probably to avoid reducing the gap too much. I expect that, having Sony learned the lesson and hoping that there are no more catastrophes such as floods etc., the next model should be better positioned on the market: this could mean a more appropriate price and less purportedly reduced features.
-- hide signature --Fabrizio Giudici
&stoppingdown's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
Nikon D7000
Sony a6000
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF
Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
I'm not visiting the forums much in recent years but this &no more NEX& is just bizarre.  Especially since they have clearly been successful.
To me NEX = E-Mount.  So are they getting rid of the E-Mount then?  Yea, I didn't think so.
And what happens to all the video NEX stuff?
Could be a sales driven ploy to make everyone who owns anything NEX feel like they have outdated gear now.  Strange stuff.
-- hide signature --- Karen1- E-mount has been expanded beyond just NEX. More expansion is possible.2- Sony had two NEX lines: Sony Alpha NEX-n (the stills E-mount cameras) and Sony NEX-VGn (the video cameras). Latter could be called Sony Handycam NEX-VGn.The NEX video cameras were never a part of Alpha brand and may continue to be the NEX. This change may be specific to Sony Alpha cameras.
&EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828
Sony SLT-A55
Sony Alpha NEX-6
Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF
Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
To be (who had close to all NEX models, or at least most of them...) the 6 has the best IQ, but I still prefer the 7 for looks, build, and handling. Both are amazing cameras, but if I could put the 6's sensor in the 7's body, I'd be in heaven.
-- hide signature --&If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot& - Peter Hurley.
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
kcamacho11 wrote:
Thanks for the info kcamacho !
I personally, am happy about all this for one reason: I have saved thousands of $$$ over the years by staying one step back of the latest technology release cycles!
For example i picked up my iMac just before the Haswel processors came on board, that was almost a $700 savings on the one I got.  I just picked up a NEX7  (I have a 16mp NEX5 for last two years and love it, best camera I have owned since my Leica M4 !!),
Certain large well known shops like B&H are starting to blow them out, I just bought a bundle kit with the NEX7 body and $400 worth of lenses, for $998, so after the e-bay blow out on the lenses, i should wind up with the NEX7 body for $750 +- range.. Remember that when the NEX7 came out it was MSRP $1399, many were sold for that price... I rather think that the new A7000 &flagship& will be in at least that range..
So, folks, now is the time.. if you were ever lusting after the NEX7, here is your chance!
Happy shooting, and have Fun !!!   -Dan
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
stoppingdown wrote:
Alex 13 wrote:
I think you're reading it wrongly. The mistake is not with the NEX-6, as shown Sony is continuing it while discontinuing the NEX-7. Their lineup was not balanced enough in terms of spec vs price. This doesn't mean either was a mistake, simply a correction after the evolution of the cameras. The decisions about when to start and finish selling products are often made years in advance.
Yes. This is called : when you have a too similar product to another, the former can &steal& buyers from the latter. It is also to be said, if I'm not wrong, that the NEX-7 production , two years ago, because of the floods in Thailand: this very likely changed the plans at Sony. Perhaps in the original plans the NEX-7 should have reached the peak of sells earlier and without suffering from the cannibalisation from the NEX-6. Actually, I've been quite confused when I had to choose between the NEX-7 and the NEX-6: there's no clear winner, in the sense that each camera has something more and something less than the other, and OTOH the NEX-6 seems to have some purportedly reduced features, probably to avoid reducing the gap too much.
What reduced features?  It seemed to me that the big differences were the 24mp vs. 16mp sensors, PDAF vs. CDAF, and the control dials.
I agree that this makes them very similar.  It wasn't hard for me to decide that I really didn't need 24mp and the PDAF would be helpful in real-world photos, and then there was the money savings.  But it may be that due to money, I never would have gone for the Nex-7 anyway.  So, Sony can think of it as a mistake, but I'm very pleased with the Nex-6.
It sounds from what was said, a future Nex-6 replacement is more likely to have reduced features to encourage people to go for the Nex-7 replacement.  I don't know why companies worry about cannibalization -- if someone buys one product instead of another, at least you're selling a product.  Yeah, OK, you'd like to get people to buy a higher-ticket item, but still...  You're not operatin make something too expensive, and the competition can move in.  Or the customer ma we're not all going out to buy A7s.
I expect that, having Sony learned the lesson and hoping that there are no more catastrophes such as floods etc., the next model should be better positioned on the market: this could mean a more appropriate price and less purportedly reduced features.
With both cameras more similar, it might come down to a simple mp vs. price comparison.
-- hide signature --
&GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3
Sony Alpha NEX-5
In reply to
Jan 14, 2014
GaryW wrote:
What reduced features? It seemed to me that the big differences were the 24mp vs. 16mp sensors, PDAF vs. CDAF, and the control dials.
Are you saying that this is just secondary stuff? I wouldn't say so. Add: the lack of a separate button for AF, the lack of an external mic input.
I agree that this makes them very similar. It wasn't hard for me to decide that I really didn't need 24mp and the PDAF would be helpful in real-world photos, and then there was the money savings. But it may be that due to money, I never would have gone for the Nex-7 anyway. So, Sony can think of it as a mistake, but I'm very pleased with the Nex-6.
The same for me. That's why for Sony is a mistake. If Sony added 2/3 of the missing features, excluding the 24MP, I think Sony would have seen even less NEX-6 sold.
It sounds from what was said, a future Nex-6 replacement is more likely to have reduced features to encourage people to go for the Nex-7 replacement. I don't know why companies worry about cannibalization -- if someone buys one product instead of another, at least you're selling a product.
Well, but you've spent lots of money in research for the other! The single-product strategy can perhaps be a good one in certain cases, *if* you planned it and not got to it by chance.
Yeah, OK, you'd like to get people to buy a higher-ticket item, but still... You're not operatin make something too expensive, and the competition can move in. Or the customer ma we're not all going out to buy A7s.
From financial figures I don't see any of the mirrorless competitors (Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji) able to sell stuff at lower prices: they're all crawling. I see that each competitor differentiates features: MFT for more native lenses, Fuji for retro design and better IQ of lenses, Sony for the capability of keeping both APS-C and FF, thus with an aggressive attitude towards high-megapixel DSLR bodies.
&stoppingdown's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
Nikon D7000
Sony a6000
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF
Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye
In reply to
Jan 15, 2014
kcamacho11 wrote:
Thanks for the Heads Up!
Starting with the lens, it will most likely NOT be anything like, or much improved over the present 16-50 power zoom lens. This will be a higher quality unit and if it is a constant f2.8. that is especially geared towards the video market. Meaning perhaps, that there may be other features designed into the 7 body which make it useful for video usage. And may be better for video than the A7R, which not great according to the Philip Bloom review.
The new camera body may be a lot like the present NEX-7
- it may be similar to but slightly smaller than the A7.
New features expected will be:
- an enhanced PDAF 24 or 32 mp sensor, with points on the screen more spread out.
-Apps/WiFi
- Improved tri-navi functionality
- Quick-navi screen, (the generic Quick Menu.)
- Weather proofing
- Manual remote plug like the 3N
- Some additional menu options including Airplane Mode.
- Higher FPS continuous AF with auto-tracking
- more robust construction especially around the tripod mount.
Keyboard shortcuts:
MMy threads
Latest reviews7384858283 &
Finished challengesA Cold Slap in the Face by evancjfrom FishFocus by Quicktake 100from Racket sportsTwo Dead Fish by Jere1rfrom - Trumpillary, Can you stomach anymore?
: Food-Political Concept Challenge - (Black and White + A white Border) &
Most popular cameras &
Top threads in this forum24221399777655544443333
Most bookmarked in this forum1698876554
Top posters in this forum3825232222212018171613131312121211111110
Editorial content
Product database}

我要回帖

更多关于 it has been 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信