there is an oldarticle...

Not a member yet?
An article is a word that modifies or describes the Noun. It is used before the noun to show whether it refers to something specific or not. So, in a way, articles can also be described as a type of adjectives as they also tell us something about the nouns, like adjectives.
Types of Articles
There are two types of Articles in the English language. They are as follows:
Definite article: Definite means to be clear, exact or obvious about something. It is called definite because it is used in relation to a particular thing or person. &The& is the definite article in English, which is used to refer to particular nouns, the identities of which are known. The definite article indicates that the noun is specific. The speaker talks about a particular thing. For example:
The cat sat on the couch.
The dog attacked me and ran away.
Notice how the reference is not left indefinite in both the sentences. It is clear that a particular cat sat on the couch in the first sentence and a specific dog that attacked the speaker is being spoken about in the second example.
Indefinite articles: Indefinite means something which is not clear, obvious or exact. They are called indefinite because the identity of the thing or person being spoken about is left unclear or indefinite. The indefinite article indicates that the noun is not someone or something in particular. The speaker talks about any one of that type of things. The indefinite articles in English are &a& and &an.& For example:
Do you have a pencil?
I want to have an apple.
Notice how the speaker is not asking for a particular pencil or apple, but any pencil or apple in the above sentences.
Difference between &A& and &An&
Indefinite articles &a/an& are used as follows:
&A& is used before a word beginning with a consonant sound. Consonant letters in the English alphabet are B,C,D,F,G,H,J,K,L,M,N,P,Q,R,S,T,V,W,X,Y,Z.
For example: A boy, a cat, a dog, a fight, a gym, a horse, a joke, a kite, a lion, a mirror, a noise, a pin, a quilt, etc.
&An& is used before a word beginning with a vowel sound. Vowel letters in the English alphabet are A, E, I, O, U.
For example: An apple, an elephant, an idiot, an orange, an umbrella, etc.
Note here that the usage is on the basis of sound and not only the letter the word starts with.
For example:
&An honest man&
&A one eyed dog&
Do these seem wrong to you?
They&re not and the reason is that the &usage is on the basis of sound&. The words 'hour' and 'honest' both begin with a vowel sound, as the consonant 'h' is not pronounced. Similarly, the word 'one' begins with the consonant sound of 'w' and hence is written as 'a one eyed dog', not 'an one eyed dog'.
Also, remember that we use &a& and &an& only before a singular noun. We can't use &a& and &an& before a plural noun. For example:
A book - correct
A books - incorrect
An egg - correct
An eggs & incorrect
Tips to remember the differences in a nutshell
&O a + singular noun beginning with a consonant : a a pen, etc.
&O an + singular noun beginning with a vowel: an
an orphan, etc.
&O a + singular noun beginning with a consonant sound:auser(sounds like 'yoo-zer,' i.e., gives a 'y' sound, so 'a' is used); a a European, etc.
&O an + nouns starting with silent &h&:an an honest man, etc.
These rules also apply in Acronyms.
For example:
He is a DU (Delhi University) student.
He is an IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) graduate.
The rule also applies when acronyms start with consonant letters but have vowel sounds.
For example:
She is an MBA (Master of Business Administration).
When/If the noun is modified by an adjective, the choice between a and an depends on the initial sound of the adjective that immediately follows the article.
For example:
a beautiful umbrella
an unusual situation
a European country (pronounced as 'yer-o-pi-an,' i.e., sounds like consonant 'y')
A/An is used to indicate membership in a group.
For example:
I am a journalist. (I am a member of a large group of professionals known as journalists.)
She is an Indian. (She is a member of the people from India, known as Indians.)
Difference between &A& and &The&
&The&, as mentioned earlier, is used to give information about particular or known nouns. These are usually things that have been mentioned before or that the listener is familiar with. On the other hand, &A& or &an& is used to talk about things which are not particular. Usually, these are things that haven't been mentioned before or that the listener is unfamiliar with.
For example, study these sentences:
I went to see a tattoo artist.
The tattoo artist has given me an appointment next week.
It is clear that in the first sentence, the speaker did not go to see a particular tattoo artist. He/she went to see any tattoo artist and was speaking to a friend about the same. The tattoo artist in this case has either not been mentioned before or is not that important, and therefore their identity is unknown.
Whereas in the second sentence, the speaker refers to the tattoo artist that had already been mentioned before. The identity is already known, therefore, &the& has been used to refer the tattoo artist.
Usage of &the&
Let&s study the different cases where &the& can or cannot be used.
Count and Noncount Nouns
The can either be used with noncount nouns or the article can be omitted entirely. For example:
She liked to sail over the water. Here, some specific body of water is being talked about.
She liked to sail over water. Here, no particular water is being talked about. It can refer to any water.
&A&/&An& can be used only with single count nouns.
I need a bottle of juice.
I need an eraser.
Use of &the& in case of geography
There are some specific rules for using &the& with geographical nouns.
Do not use &the& before:
&O names of most countries/territories: India, Brazil, C however, the Netherlands, the Dominican Republic, the Philippines, the United States
&O names of cities, towns, or states: Toronto, Delhi, Sao Paolo
&O names of streets: Callowhill Drive, Park Avenue
&O names of lakes and bays: Lake Michigan, Lake O except while referring to a group of lakes - the Great Lakes
&O names of mountains: Mount Everest, Mount Fuji except with ranges of mountains like the Andes or the Rockies or unusual names like the Matterhorn
&O names of continents: Asia, Europe
&O names of islands (Easter Island, Maui, Key West) except with island chains like the Andaman Islands, the Canary Islands
Use &the& before:
&O names of rivers, oceans and seas: the Ganga, the India Ocean
&O points on the globe: the Equator, the South Pole
&O geographical areas: the South East, the Asia Pacific
&O deserts, forests, gulfs, and peninsulas: the Kalahari, the Sunderbans
Where articles are not used?
The usage of articles is one of the most confusing things to remember for many English learners. It is not always necessary to use articles everywhere. Our tip is to remember the cases where articles should not be used.
Do not use articles:
&O When you talk about things in general.
For example: I like birds.
Here, the speaker wants to imply that he/she likes any bird in general, and not a specific type of a bird.
&O When talking about plural count nouns.
For example: Dogs make great pets.
Here, you are not talking about one specific dog you are talking about all dogs in general.
&O When talking about non-count nouns.
For example: I love music.
Here, the speaker is saying that he enjoys music, in general & not any specific kind of music or song.
&O When talking about specific days or holidays, geography, companies, languages.
For example: I have bought candles for Diwali.
Here, the speaker is talking about the candles he has bought to use on the day of Diwali.
&O When talking about Geography.
Articles are not used before countries, states, cities, towns, continents, single lakes, single mountains, etc.
For example: I live in Canada.
Mt. Rosa is part of the Alps mountain range.
Here, Mt. Rosa is one mountain, whereas The Alps refer to a group of mountains.
The United Arab Emirates, The Russian Federation&, The People's Republic of China, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, The Dominion of Canada, etc., all contain articles because of the usage of common nouns such as kingdom, republic, states, united, dominion, emirates, etc.
The Netherlands, the Philippines, The Bahamas, The Maldives, etc. have &the& before them due to the plural nature of the names of the countries.
The Ukraine, the Sudan, etc. are exceptions to all of these rules. It is perhaps, due to common use, or at least previous common use. There have been historical uses of articles before names of countries that don't fit into either category.
&O When you talk about companies.
For example: Steve Jobs founded Apple.
I use Facebook every day.
Here, the speaker is referring to companies like Apple and Facebook.
&O When you talk about languages.
For example: I speak Hindi.
Here, the speaker is talking about the language Hindi.
&O When you talk about places, locations, streets.
For example: My house is located on Callowhill Drive.
I left my pen at home.
Here, a street called Callowhill Drive and speaker&s home are being talked about.
However, there are specific places that do need the use an article. For example: the bank, the hospital, the post office, the airport, the train station, the bus stop, etc.
&O When you talk about sports and physical activities.
For example: I love to play cricket.
She enjoys dancing.
Here, cricket and dancing is being talked about.
&O When there is a noun + number
For example: She is staying at the Hilton hotel in room 127.
The train to Montreal leaves from platform 9.
Here, the nouns are hence, no article is used.
&O When talking about academic subjects.
For example: I hate attending Mathematics classes.
Here, the mathematic classes are being discussed.
A table to remember when or when not to use Articles
Different cases
&A&/ &An& is used
When mentioning something for the first time.
I went for a movie.
When talking about something which belongs to a set of the same thing.
This is a pen.
When talking about someone who belongs to a certain group.
She is an engineer.
When talking about a certain kind of a thing.
I've have made a great movie.
When wanting to say that someone is a certain kind of person.
She is a shy girl.
&The& is used
When talking about a particular thing.
The movie that I went for was fantastic.
When talking about something that you are sure of.
I cleared the interview.
When there is only one such thing.
I don&t like to go out in the sun.
No article is used
When talking about
something in general.
Swimming is a great physical activity.
When talking about cities,
countries, streets, sports, etc.
We visited France.
We watched soccer together.
Related Pages
Related Pages
Frequent searches leading to this page
Now Available for Android Download Now雅思IELTS考试
出国留学考试培训
阅读RC-597tak
This passage was adapted from an article written in 1990.Research data indicate that there is a great deal of poverty in the United States among single-parent families headed by women. This problem could result from the fact that women's wages are only 60 percent of men's. Some economists believe that rigorous enforcement of existing equal pay laws would substantially decrease this wage inequity. But equal pay laws are ineffectual when women and men are concentrated in different occupations because such laws require only that women and men doing the same jobs be paid the same. Since gender concentration exists (for example, 80 percent of clerical workers are women), other economists argue that a comparable worth standard, which would mandate that women and men in any jobs that require comparable training and responsibility be paid the same, should be applied instead. But some policy analysts assert that, although comparable worth would virtually equalize male and female wages, many single-parent families headed by women would remain in poverty because many men earn wages that are below the poverty line. These policy analysts believe that the problem is not caused primarily by wage inequity but rather by low wages coupled with single parenthood, regardless of sex. As a solution, they challenge the government's assumption that a family's income should depend primarily on wages and urge the government to provide generous wage supplements (child and housing allowances) to single parents whose wages are low.
According to the passage, some economists believe that, in the United States, there would be smaller differences between the wages of women and men who do the same jobs if
Aequal pay laws were enforced more fullyBmore stringent equal pay laws were passedCa more rigorous comparable worth standard were developed and appliedDmore men entered the occupations in which women are concentratedEwomen received the same kind and amount of job training that men receive
正确答案 A
当前版本由JoeHe2010更新于 13:29:45
感谢由JoeHe2010用户对此题目的解答所做出的贡献。
Some economists believe that rigorous enforcement of existing equal pay laws would substantially decrease this wage inequity
如果对题目有任何的疑惑,欢迎在这里提出来,大家会帮你解答的
这是一个提问,求回答
使用考GMAT的7大理由
1.每天2000+学生在这里学习讨论
2.OG,PREP,GWD全部题目收录
3.备考题目权威解析
4.模拟真实考试的模考系统
5.根据知识点与难度整理的练习册
6.做题数据云记录
7.强大的错题强化练习功能
最火爆、优质的GMAT备考网站
最近更新题目
用户名/Email邮箱地址:
登录密码:
下次自动登录
还没有考满分的账号?
使用其它账号直接登录
合作培训机构账号激活
此服务是赠送功能,目前仅限考GMAT报名培训的考生免费使用
你当前得浏览器版本过低,无法观看视频,建议更换使用chrome浏览器获得更好的体验
练习方式:
原题,选项乱序
选项强化(仅SC和CR)
题目筛选:
最近三天最近一周
做过一次一直做错
没有符合上述条件的错题,要不,换条件试试?
最全GMAT备考资源,注册即可免费拥有!
第三方登录:
该解答共被1名用户修改了1次
版本修改时间修订人字数
13:29:45JoeHe2010130
常用标签:
请选择错误类型:
格式有错误
题目内容有错误
请描述一下这个错误:14865人阅读
本人用Maven进行Web应用开发。年前还是好好的,过个年回来,就不行了。当我在浏览器中输入url时,出现以下错误:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: PWC6345: There is an error in invoking javac. &A full JDK (not just JRE) is required
一看错误,大概知道是JDK 和 JRE 的配置 有问题。有三个地方值得注意:
以上三个地方如果都弄好了,这个问题就解决了。
* 以上用户言论只代表其个人观点,不代表CSDN网站的观点或立场
访问:100171次
积分:1346
积分:1346
排名:第18886名
原创:36篇
评论:14条
(1)(2)(1)(1)(4)(2)(1)(2)(1)(4)(2)(3)(5)(6)(4)(2)(1)7500+ Subscribers |
6000+ Followers
Get Updates via:
You are here:
>> 30 Websites that Pay You to Contribute an Article, Instantly
30 Websites that Pay You to Contribute an Article, Instantly
by Bamidele
In this article, I’ll be listing 30 unique websites that will pay you to contribute an article to them. I haven’t tried all the websites on this list, but I ensured I did my due research by filtering through lots of websites and by going through feedback from other freelance writers to ensure this article is as accurate as possible.
While there are websites that give you a part of the revenue your article generates, it is often difficult for writers wanting to
to benefit from this websites. I believe you should be able to get paid for your articles instantly, and this article will be giving you a list of 30 websites that will pay you a fixed rate for every article you contribute. Most of these sites pay around $50 per article, and some of them even pay up to $900 for an article. If your writing
is accepted by any of these websites, you should expect to get paid anytime from a few days to a week.
Get the UPDATED 2015 Version of this List: The new updated version of this list includes 110 websites that PAY writers, and it is updated and verified for 2015. .
The good thing about most of the sites listed below is that they also allow you to include a bio with a link back to your website. You can easily use this opportunity to link back to a hire me page on your blog, and as a result get a lot of clients willing to pay you for your work. In other words, by writing for most of the blogs on this list you are being paid to market yourself.
Note: A few years after publishing this list, I’ve compiled and published a more recent one that features 46 additional websites that will pay you to write. Check it out by visiting
Here are 30+ sites that pay you to write an article.
Niche: Web Design
Payment Method: Paypal
Developer Tutorials is a programming/web design blog. You can submit articles to Developer Tutorials on anything from programming to web design, and you will be able to get $30-$50 for list articles, and $50-$100 for tutorials.
Developer Tutorials also allows you a bio with a link back to your blog. So, you can easily build your portfolio, and as a result expose your work to thousands of people.
Niche: Audio
Payment Method: Paypal/Moneybookers
Audio Tuts+ is one of the blogs in the Envato blog network, and they also provide people with writing opportunities.
You can easily make $50 by contributing a “Quick Tip” to Audio Tuts+. According to Audio Tuts+ a quick tip should be around 500 words, so you should be able to make some quick bucks for your short articles.
Niche: Photoshop
If you’re an expert at Photoshop, or if you have some cool tricks you think a lot of photoshop users will love to read about, you can create a tutorial and submit it to PSD Tuts+. For this kind of tutorial you will be paid anything from $50 to $150.
Niche: Health
Payment Method: Unspecified
The American College of Healthcare Sciences is looking for articles related to holistic health and wellness. They want articles to be in the 600 &# words range and they pay $50 per article accepted.
Niche: Computer Tips
Payment Method: Paypal/Check (for those in the US)
WorldStart is another great website providing freelance writers with several options to . There are various payment options you can get with them. They have the $25 option for 250 words article, the $40 option for 400 words articles, the $45 option for 600 words articles and the $50 option for 800 words articles.
With over 300,000 monthly visitors, if you’re in the tech/computing niche you can a lot of exposure and some more writing opportunities come your way by writing for this blog.
Niche: Writing
Payment Method: Paypal/Check
< is looking for practical articles aimed at helping writers get pa they have a preference for success stories.
They pay $45 &#8211; $50 per article depending on whether you want to be paid via Check or Paypal, and articles are usually accepted within a week of submission.
Niche: Making Money Writing
Payment Method:
Writers Weekly isn&#8217;t a blog. Instead, it is an online publication that is distributed to paying subscribers. With Writers Weekly you will be paid anything from $40 to $60 for articles you submit.
Niche: Career
Brazeen Careerist is looking for list posts about networking events in various cities. They pay $50 per article, and you need to arrange payment first with the editor before you start working on your article.
Niche: Make Money Writing
Even though Carol has already gotten more offers than needed for the whole of 2011, I think her blog is still worth being listed. You can easily pitch her an idea for consideration towards next year on the subject of /. You will be paid $50 for any of your articles that is accepted.
Niche: General
Listverse is looking for interesting and unique list articles from writers. Your lists can be about anything, as long as the topic is unique, unusual or interesting.
Listverse pays $100 per approved list, and they&#8217;d like articles to be around 1,500 words and to feature at least 10 items.
Niche: Education
Payment Method: Paypal/Check
Back to College is looking for articles about education for older students. They pay $75 &#8211; $135 per article, and payment is made via Paypal or check 30 days after an accept article has been published.
Niche: eCommerce
eCommerce Insiders is looking for articles about online commerce and retail, and they pay $75 &#8211; $125 per article.
Articles can be 400 &#+ words, and you&#8217;ll also have a bio below your article.
Niche: Adobe
If you&#8217;re an expert at using Adobe products and you want to share your experience through your writing, you can make anything from $50-$75 by contributing your tutorials to TheTechLabs.
Niche: Vector
You can easily make money by contributing articles about Vector arts to Vector Tuts+. You will be paid up to $150 per article for your writing, depending on the quality of your articles and you can receive your payment via Paypal or Moneybookers.
Niche: Adult Education
Payment Method: Unknown
The Change Agent is an Adult Education Publication that pays $50 per article contributed. Your article can be anything from 250 words to 1,000 words, and you will still be paid the same amount no matter how long your content is, as long as it is accepted.
Niche: Ceramics
If you believe you can write articles on all things ceramics you should give Ceramics.org a try. You will be paid $25 for any short article accepted, $350 for a 1,000 words bulletin, and up to $900 for a 5,000 words bulletin accepted.
Niche: Variety of Topics
Payment Method: Check
By writing for The Dollar Stretcher you will be paid $0.10 per word for any article accepted. That means you will get $100 for a 1000 words article, and $500 for a 5,000 words article. The payment will be sent via check in US dollars.
Niche: Skydiving
Dropzone is a Skydiving blog visited by millions of people monthly, and by writing for Dropzone, aside from gaining a lot of exposure, you will paid $50 for any article that is accepted and up to $100 for an article that is featured.
Niche: Parenting
Payment Method: Check
Metro Parent is a parenting magazine that pays you anything from $35-50 for a short article, and up to $350 for a detailed article accepted. The payment for your article will be made upon publication.
Niche: Web Development
Sitepoint is currently one of the leading websites online when it comes to web development, and they are interested in paying quality freelance writers to contribute to their growing network. Your article must be over 1,500 words, and upon acceptance, you will be paid a $100 flat rate. If your article does really well and is able to generate up to 100,000 page views you will be paid $250 more.
Niche: Web Design/Web Development
Themeforest is currently one of the leading authorities in the web design space. You can make up to $100 by contributing an article to Theme Forest, and you can easily use the opportunity to get more exposure for yourself.
Niche: Parenting
They are looking for practical articles with parenting tips, and they pay $100 per accepted article. You will also be able to link back to your site in your article bio.
Niche: Web Design
Spyre Studios is an authority blog when it comes to web design, and they pay freelance writers $50 for articles accepted, and up to $160 for tutorials.
Niche: Design/Programming
Smashing magazine is the number one web design blog online, and you can easily gain a lot of exposure while at the same time getting paid for every article you submit that is accepted. There is no fixed price for your articles, but you can be rest assured that you will be paid well if your article is of great quality and if it is accepted.
Niche: Photoshop
They are looking for articles about P your article can either be a quick tip or a full tutorial, and you can earn $50 &#8211; $300 per article accepted.
Niche: Coding
If you&#8217;re really good at coding and you want to share your experience with others through your writing, you will be paid up to $150, depending on the quality, for every tutorial that is accepted.
Niche: Design/Usability
UX Booth is another design blog on this list that pays freelance writers $100 for articles accepted. The article you write should be on the topic of design/usability.
Niche: Web design/Freelancing
They are looking for articles about web design, freelancing, productivity and other related topics. They pay $100 &#8211; $200 per accepted article.
Niche: Travel
They are looking for original travel articles in the 1,000 &# words range. They prefer you to pitch them first before proceeding with your article, and they pay $100 &#8211; $150 per article.
Niche: Design
By contributing an article to Crazy Leaf, aside from being able to show your skills to thousands of people, you will also be paid depending on how good your article is.
Bonus Sites
Yes, I know I promised only 30 sites in the title of this article, but in other to over deliver I will be providing you with 3 more sites. You can explore these sites to gain more exposure while at the same time increase your income.
Niche: Design/Programming
InstantShift is a popular design and programming blog that pay you for articles based on the quality of the article submitted. The site is well-respected and has a good reputation, so you should be able to make a great income for quality articles you submit.
Niche: Design/Coding
This is another great design website that offers payment based on the quality and volume of the article submitted.
Niche: Design/Coding
A part of the Smashing Network, Noupe is another great web design blog that is well-respected. You can easily contribute great content and get exposure for your work while at the same time getting paid. The payment is unspecified, but Noupe is a well-respected blog online so you should expect to be paid something great for your quality submissions.
Get the UPDATED 2015 Version of this List: The new updated version of this list includes 110 websites that PAY writers, and it is updated and verified for 2015. .
Note: A few years after publishing this list, I&#8217;ve compiled and published a more recent one that features 46 additional websites that will pay you to write. Check it out by visiting
Very Important Step
If you enjoyed reading this article or you think it is of great value to you, then kindly share it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Stumbleupon using the buttons below. I&#8217;d be super excited and happy to create more if a lot of people discover and enjoy this article.
Category: ,
I'm Bamidele Onibalusi, a young writer and blogger. I believe writers are unique and highly talented individuals that should be given the respect they deserve. This blog offers practical advice to help you become truly in charge of your writing career.
Ready to Get Started with Your Freelance Writing Career?
Get Started
Read and share these top articles:
Copyright 2016 - Writers in Charge}

我要回帖

更多关于 there is an old 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信