Do you think people today arealways responsible personfo

The Washington herald. (Washington, D.C.) , May 08, 1909, Image 1 - Chronicling America - The Library of Congress
APAP A QUALITY PAPER EROF OF OFQUALITY I THE WAS IN GTO N HERA IIERALU IIERALUNO LD LARGE5MORNING LARGEST ClRC cl CIRCULATION CCt4zzot LATION MORNING MORNINGCIRCULATION MORNINGA D DQUALITY S SI SI SNOI WASHINGTON 3 D C SATURDAY HAY 8 FOURTEEN FOURTEEN PAGES TWO CENTSNO 944It GillESPIE LLESP1E SUI SLTEU SLTEUINar EOAS 5 G SVirginia i O DI P PIND4 NOMIr INar INari EE EErVirginia r irgiu a Leaders Agree Upon UponHim 113011Hiim UponAiffiHim for Governor GovernorSTKONGEST GoiernoiPARTY GovernorSTRONGESTSTRONGEST STRCNGESTAsserted PARTY 3IAS 3IASAsserted MA I IAssertedAsserted that Rank and File I Imand De Demand De Demandmand His Nomination Nominationr NominationAnnounced NominationAn1ounced NominationAnnouncedr rAnnounced An1ounced that Influence Ban Ia Bee BeeBrought Been BeenBrought BeenBroughtBrought to Bear to Make J1a lake e HimWithdraw HI HIWithdraw Him HimWithdrawWithdraw His Refusal to Tak TakSemination Take TakesomlnationCabeUs TaketominntionCnbells &somlnationCabeUs Semination Cnbells Selection fo foCapers for torCaVers forCapersCapers Job Made to Strenj Strengthen StrenJihenParty StrengthenParts hc hcPartyParty In Gubernatorial Fight FlgrlitThere FJl1tre FightThereThere re were developments of the great greatest eat I Iestj lestest estj iRtportance ta WatMactsm yestoriabearing yestoria 1 1upon 1 1uponbearing upon the Htpuuncoa L party1 party1ubenwtertal I & i iJJ ubenwtertal pine pineFolJowbg Virginia VirginiaFoltowing Irgtmls IrgtmlsFolbwIngFoltowing closely upon t & the heels of tb tbannouncement da & i iarmouDeement i t tannouncementannouncement of the oefcxtkm e of Post Postmaster p pmaster Poetmaster ?master Beyal p1 E E Caber of Richmond Richmondinternal as asintftnal asinternaliinternal revenue commissioner eo 110fT to t sue sueceed suec secceedceed c ed John G Capers came the atatempti daWeatentfront atatemptifrom t tfromfrom Vlrgtaia 1k Republicaii Repu leaders ersCIat that A AP A Ap APP Giltesple G IespIe of TaxeweU iaseweUthestroa recognized at atState as asthethestroa the stronget man t tile party lw t teatState IatStateState h has s been prate agreed upon 1IPOIIas uponas opo opoasas the candidate for gewaor sM Me mid midbo wad wadhI wwutdhebo the ur unanimous anInaus choice of the K KNews Newport N8WJMktews NewportNewsNews ews convention ceave t10a in July If he wBI wBIcept w lie lieHpt ae aeceptcept the notnhtationThis nomination nominationThis noml1adoaThisThis announcement was wasRepublican tame by tile tileRepubUcan theRepnbanRepublican leaders of Vhrsua wfeo wfeoir wItoin were wereinin Washington yesterday y erd They y dedar dedarthat 6 d reTi reTithat EiI EiIthatthat the demand d mand for OIfl OBtaapbTs OBtaapbTsf IIIegton Its a t ttnnf ton & n not only from party plllt71eMen kainx but from fromthe ft ftthe lromthethe rank and fife of tie party is s gretit gretitthat t r a athat t tthatthat despite his tecttnattoa to refuse tto ttonomination the tbenomination thenomination &nomination be caaaot now disr disregard ard the thewisheee t twishes 11Mheswishes hes of the theBG party partyrv partyBcsterlaoBG Bcsterlao rv terIDi Party Pnrt for coming Comln Fight FightIt FI ht htItIt was also staled that tac selection selectionCabell deo 0 ofCabell 0CabeUCabell feeinternal revenue revenuewas aosumbfdonar aosumbfdonarwas 1 1R 1Raswas as made to strengthen toe RepubIieaD Repsthiicanparty RepubIieaDparty Repu Repupartpart party in Virginia and that the uethis c can canthis nmpatgit nmpatgitthisthis fan miff not be a perfunctory perfunctoryas 1 int intasas of old but the hardest fight Ia t tpartys the tiaevartys thepartypartys party s history to wrest control of t tState time timeState titeStateState nom the Democratic party partyThere IIUUt IIUUtThere ptrttjiThereThere has been some doubt of late tl tlOrillespte thai thaiGiJeapte that thatGilespkOrillespte would take the noachmdoa noachmdoafact 1IllIt t1ea In Int Infsctfact t he tod the party leaders that 1 1CLuld be beculd becouldcould not make the campaign on aceeun aceeuno a ant anto t tor rdergoaeo his physical coodfetoa i he liederxo txvtac va vaderbossdergoae derxo an operttoa oa & uadou 4II G recently TH THrot 1 dieriotriot discourage dlacwurft e a his friends frtttI4JBflrm hpwwet i ifirm sat satfirmfirm in the belief be that he is the stronges strongesman strom at atman t tmanman for the Republicans to name sev several MYal severa ?era eral & al leaders it is said laid sought the fasfiuence biAnence fasfiu 1aAuenen ence of the administration a di to prevail upoi upoihim upoIIhim upeenhimhim to take the nomtaattoo doG The TIIennuncemesat an anTinuncement anDTinuncement D uncemettt made last night t indicates tbJ tbJeffort ibis tbtdf ibisefforteffort df ort has borne fruit fruitSummers flUitSummer fruitSummersSummers Will VllI Stand Aside AsideBesides AOideem side sideEeEe Besides & ides GiDspe em there have been bee beenRepublican other otberR otherRepubRepublican R Repub pubJicaJt mentioned for the thetl seateae seateaeten BO BOtionten tl n Prottent t among them a aSummers aft 1 P Pt11UDeIS PrummersSummers t11UDeIS collector of internal IDtenI rer rerfor rwe rwef rsVesve rsVesvefor &for f the Western Y tera district of Ytrgiafe YtrgiafeKoyaJl Fhl and aadRoyall andRoyallRoyall E CabeO Ca who he WIll land the internah in int Iatternah t rnal revenue re enue coiniuimiionti COtUnindOnUhtp rim Bhip Mr MrSummers fIIr fIIrSmmers r rSemmesSummers according to a recent biter biterview intervies er erfewview few says he will stand aside for GinV GinVrie Gin GinPie GitleoTiePie while th OM selection of toned 1 1th 1 fortha 1thotho th Federal iisoitiou eftaoiaates Aes him time thusmaking 1 1rpaking timemakillSmaking a dear flefct far the Tase Taselawyer Taze1PfR Taaewetllawyerlawyer lawyerGiltespie 1 lawyerGillespie wyer wyerGillespieGillespie is a member of the law lawof InK InKof tiraiofof Chapman Jb Gftlmpla G of TaaeweH 1 1has Be Beras Halhas l as never ne er taken a promtebnt part in poli politics pelttics politics ?tics and has never sought Federal omce omcedevotiag arise oaIcedeotlDg arisedevotesdevotes his tIlDe to his profession pro eaaion which wIaieIanrin whichbrings w wbringsbrings nrin him In 5 X101 35 809 annually HIs HIsratlon aomi aomiration noiadratleeration It Is declared will mark a net netera new aewea neweraera in Virginia Repubttean RepabUeaaOlltb pottties I Iwould It Itld Itwoldwould ld mean that the G O P ta taState that tbatSate thatSateSate has turned its back upon its pt pto MIIIc70 days gone by of nominating DOII Fed Fedofficeholders Federal Federalofficeholders Federalofficeholdersofficeholders for the leading State offices officesCabell 06 o9fceaCabelI ea eaCabellCabell as a ur Capers SuccessorThat Successor SuccessorThat SueeIJOorThatThat Royall E E Cabell the present poet poetroaster tmaster poetmastermaster of Richmond lUeJmII Dd Va Va will suoceed sueeeedJohn suoceedJohn saeeeedJohnJohn G Capers as internal revenue reeauemissionfl com commissioner coaamissioner ?missioner became known yesterday Mr MrCapers 1IIrCapers MrCapersCapers is very ery in m In the paicopal i paI paIEar Eye EyeEar EyeEarEar and Throat Hospital H and he has ten tenderrd teaderd te tetierderrd tier d his resignation r to tak take effect effectJul efleetJul ect ectTulJul 1 1Mr 1Ir 1MrMr Cabell was as a Democrat until w TOK 196when TOKwhen 1Swhftwhen he voted Y8tedtor tor McKinley and Hobart HobartNorth Hobartcrth HobartBerthNorth Berth Carolina Republican leaders a1 a1that asked askedthat askedchatthat Spencer B B Adams A chairman of ofHcpobiican o the theRcpub theRepublicanHcpobiican Republican icaa State central commiUe 1 1appointed be beappoiD beappointeeappointed appoiD commissioner eoIDII sio of internal t tenNJ r rnu reve revenu reventente nu & nnd & + 00 thought thou t that Mr Adams wi wibe would woWclbe wouldbebe selected td until Thursday Tburs ay aac aacWhen night 1drltatWhfi nightWhPCWhen some cf eo them went t to the th White WhiteHouse WhiteHouse WhiteHouseHouse to talk over 0 over Tarheel patronage patronagewith patr e ewith ewithwith President Taft they learned that a aVirsiamii aY aVirgIvaltVirsiamii Y was to get the plum phamSplit plainSpit plumSolitSplit In North Carolina CarolinaThe CarollnnThe CarolinaTheThe cbeice of Cabeil is a bitter bkreto blow blowto blowtoto some of the North Carolina leaders leaderswho 1ea Ieederswho ers erswhOwho have been worfcin w hard to land the thejob tilejob thejobjob for Spencer 3 B Adams Adams chairman o othe of ofthe ofthe &the itepubiican State central coonnktec coonnktecofof North Carolina Yesterday aDd lastright last 15rtght lasti &i right Ight the President saw several North NorthCaroKnlaas N NCl6tn2aaS NorthCarNhtfaasCaroKnlaas and Adams name was waspressed wasjP58eCL wasPrpressed pressedThe jP58eCLThe Pr ° seed seedTheThe North CaroUaiaas are badly 4b split spifeup splitu splitupup u over poHtfcal matters and their con conferences coner confexenees ?ferences er with the PrerfdJent who is try trying trying trying ?ing to bring order out of chaes resulted resultedinin little or nothing JIOt It l was at Thursday Thursdaynights Tlwrsdaynights Thursdaynightsnights conference when tb the name o oAdams of ofamS ofAdamsAdams amS was betas urged for Capers po position po positl pemsition ?sitl sition that th the President informed his Msvisitors hisytflltOlS hisvisitorsvisitors that he bad decided to make makeCabell makQCabel1 makeCabellCabell Commissioner of Internal RerenueConnor R RConnor Revenue RevenueConnorConnor Slated for JndRrcRhip JndRrcRhipItIt is also stated that Henry Y G Connoreceociaae Connor Connorassociate CoRAorvsoassociate vso Jate member of the North Croli CroliState C CState Caropna CaropnaStateState Supreme ComX CourtWlJI Court wf arm I be selected forhie fi fihe for forhehe he Federal Fe eraJ bench In that State tc soc succe swci soccPdce cPd i the late Judge Purall The ap appoiulnwnt ap appoihtm8t appoiltmetttpoiulnwnt is expected to be made today todayoror 0 Monday Judge Connor ie a Democrat DemocratThe DemocratThe DeiocrazTheThe PresJdwst p t it Is said may mma 7 name nanieVV nameI nature1i1i VV I Grubby of Birmingham to succeed succeedJudge suoceedJudge sacceedJudJudge Jud e Hundley as the preaidit presiding jurist m mthe ht htttt nthethe Northern orthern Alabama district Mr Gmbb Gmbbisis 1 a former Democrat Of recent yea yeahe rears rearshe eH3 eH3hehe has supported the Republican Re Ik Iknationally tIc tnationallY tid tidnztionaIIynationally but the Democratic ticket ticketlocal In Inlo ii iirr local lo aJ and State elections electionsBaltimore el eleetfonsBaltimore tloos tloosBtiBti Baltimore 9re and Return ReturnJa Return ReturnBaltimoreBaltimore Ja t 1orl Ohio R It R REvery n nE IlEversEvery E Setsrday and S1uIdIt7 mday AM trains trainsboth tulnsbotn trainsbothboth ffsyH wa3 bath h days daysexcept except Royal Um Umted Ldruted lAmted& ted d k t omoes1417 offices o lces 1417 G st st and AdtiJI at 61 P Pa ave ave8th aveTumb ve veII Tumb t Laces s Hare Dropped AnIn AnInF A taiaF a Ce 0 8th st and N Y ave av14 1WEATHER FORECAST FORECASTFor FORECA FORECAFor FORECASForFor the District of Columbia ColumbiaMaryland ColumbialIaryland ColumbiaMarylandMaryland and Virginia VirginiaFair Vrgima Fair Fair to today tocia today ?day cia and tomorrow warmer wannertomorrow warmertomorrow warmertomorrowtomorrow mod moderate northerly northerlywinds nortfterlyinds northerlywindswinds windsEEKB windsFIND & indsindsFIND1tBPFIND FIND1tBP BEPOSTS RTSOF OF SPIES SPIESLoniLi SPIESYoun SPIESYoungYoun Young Turks RemoTe Four Wagon WagonLonde agon agonLoadiLoniLi of Documents DocumentsCcxtstaatiaopfe DocumenttIaopie DocumentsCoastaatinepleCcxtstaatiaopfe tIaopie May aJ 7 7Fear Feur Fo v wagon wagonkibes wa wahJ amgeaehdskibes of documents have been removed removedHorn ruedfrom e etNIIIHorn the YBdtz Y lldlz Kleefc They eenstet oolstmmostly eenstetMostly ItsdyMostly of reports of spies Several of ofthose orthQle ofthesethose reports emanate from fr All Efemal Efemalsuitor Kemalehliar JMalelsuitor of the newspaper Beam I and other otherprofessed other1KQf otherprofessed1KQf professed supporters of the comaWttee c nu Ittee of ofentoa ofIHIIeA ofnaiettentoa and alldprogress progress who pished the part partof partee partofof traitors tn t In the Young T Irk rk camp for forsfcc fOC fOC014 forsexsex months past pastCONTEOIS pastCONTROLSCONTROLS C014 ROIS NAVAL GUNNERY GTTRHBRYXcTvlets ew Invention Permits One Nan to toFire toFire toFireFire a Series of Guns GunsLondon GunsLoDdoB GunsLandonLondon May 7 iThe The newspapers record recordthe rMOnlthe reordthethe conclusion n of th the trials UIeJs of an ltnpertant Impor Important kRpwtaat ?tant invention by Rear Admiral Sir Percy PercyScott P PercyScott ICY ICYSC8ttSC8tt Scott which It is stated will r rMGhldon rMGhldonhe revahttionze voh tten ttenbebe ze naval manlIt gunnery guaaeryItIt afeoliafe abolishes eIS gaalaytos gva by a men o fe theborbottea the thebar theM1tM1t bar Ues 9Uas and cotabMonos e absolute seNte ooHtrol osntrelof ooHtrolof Iofof a series of guns from trots rOAl a adoa nrecotrol tireoestroistados nrecotrolstattoastattoa doa V wy one man The ers creoa Good GoodHope GoodHepe GoodHopeHope Argyll and Arre Arrogaat ant hays hsrvaesperimciitia beeR beeRexperlllaEtta beesexpoesperimciitia with the iawootion lalea v vIB which wtdeItIs whichhsIB caned a director under Rear Admiral AdmkalScotts A4DdcaIsus AdmiralSesttsScotts saperMtendence saperMtendenceTheThe directors action is entirety eteetrl eteetrlcaL eIeetrIcaLcaL It is understood that the experi experimem exper1wen a xpeimeoppmeopp mem were succeesf ul but they weree wereeeret were se secret tieaet ?cret aet and details cannot be beI bePUNISHED obtainedPUNISHED obtained obtainedPUinSHEDIPUNISHED PUNISHED FOR WIFES GRIME GRIMEIndiana GRIMEI CRIMEIndianaIi Indiana Man Ian Ix Paroled When hen Pccu Pcculiar lccuI 1ccnliarliar Conditions co ndlt onIJ Are Learned LearnedIndfcnapoite LearnedTpott LearnedIadfaaapolleI Indfcnapoite May 7 After serving i ipart a apet apartpart of a prison sonter MDterie seste 4 e of from two t ti tifourteen u uf toofoartoefourteen f years for a crime Ms wtf wife has hasroigesred ha haeoafccccd JIUeH &eoafccccd eH sed to 0 William Vl am Welling Ve was wasnight waswI te teeightnight paroled from from the Indiana Refora Reforma Reformatory Bef BefURT e etorstory Welling We is said to have kM kMaotains known kaowaaottdac knownnotblaotains aottdac notbl of Ms wifes wIfesp guilt when he w wto went WEllItM wenttoto to prison aad he protested that no eri eribad cdID cdIDad crime crimebadbad been commuted commutedWetting comllldttedWeU8b tommftteWedlhrgWetting aDd his wife were charg chargJointly charged ctaubeflJ8InU7 chargedjutlyJointly with raising a check but se setence sea seatence see seeteactence teac = e la her ease was wagAUTO suspended suependedATTTO suspendedAUTOAUTO FOR POPE PISSWealthy PISS PITTSWealthy PI S SVeLlthWealthy VeLlth Americans Donors of 3Ia 3Iachine JIaeIlIne Machinechine for Vatican Use UseRome ueR UseRouteRome R May ay 7 7A A group coup of ofwIIDH n nAmericans wuhhby wuhhbyAmeticassAmericans rvhoss names are not nothave Mtve kaowa kaowahavehave ve coramtaetoaed tV mIReel at T Turin Turinsome a Jad Jadl1De d dmesome me automobile euadautette aIene of orer 31 31power inarx inarxpowerpower which is to be decorated cIeCiKMedpapal with 1 1papal the thepapalpapal coat of arm 1 upbota tared red hi hileather white Wi10i whitecattierleather aad lighted with electricity t 1 1M It Iti Itiii 15 to MIl an image e of SL St Joseph and aIIdR andoaM the teacSc soot will be a richly boi boicexisry bound NIcde NIcdrieUt6 boundeeryR cexisry cexisryThe e eeryThe &The rieUt6 sets fe Mended imondcd i as a ame presatt f fthe fee feeii the Pope for his use to the garaW garaWthe r rI ofthethe e Vatican The cost taaeur win be St StCkmu I + iMR iMRChenI Chen aaeur ems Cago Ca the winner of the Me ratfar r rfor Mefeifei far for the Targa trophy in May OK will wiltestrncc willIIatnKt willtntrnettestrncc The chauffeur who hi to dtevefor arm armfor drWe drWeforIIatnKt for his haaitno holiness holinessrWENTONE IIoItDcssI IIoItDcssTWENTYONE s sh sII h I rWENTONE 1 DIE IlK iK WRECE WRECESteamer WREGKI WREGKSteamerI i iiSteamer Shores Goes Down in Lake LakeSaperior LakeSuperior LakeSuperiorSuperior with All on Board BoardVessel BoardVesselVessel Bound for Duluth and Si SiDays Six SixDn SixDaysDays Dn s Overdue OTerllueSeventymlIe OTerllueSeventymlIeGnle Seventymile SeventymileGaleGale Over Ore Lake LakeDoteth LnkeDaktUa LakeDuluthDuluth MiR a May 7TIIe 7TIIeAdelia The Thedetta steamer steamerAddlaAdelia detta Shores a we wooden ne boat 1 an N feet feet3i feetkingking 35 feet beam 1 eam with a tonnage t of ofcBsaged fftas ofgroomas s cBsaged m Ia a general Lake Lakeis LaketraifmctraJ traifmc is reported to have sunk off officiteftsh eW1teAab e eWtitedsbiciteftsh Poiat la Lake Superior with withH withB witha8a8 & H on board The crew and passengers passengerssteted llUqsag paaeagerscarslsted l5 l5edcarslsted steted ed of twentyone twen o eI peoplo popitimers peoploSailerstimers on board the Northland which wiuehacned WIaidareactJed whichreachedI reached acned this pert this evening brought broughthe broughtthe t ttbethe he news of the probable le disaster As Ast Asthethe t Northhtnd was paaam pesoag the paint JGiDtwredabe paintwreckagewreckage 3 se was discovered ed alt about the thei thepam thepathpam i of the steamer steamerlofenes steamerTIle steamerTheTIle Shores was n n cosmtaand oC Ca CaHolmes Capt CaptHolmesHolmes She was bound for Duluth and andas aadwas andwaswas as six days overdue oer ue It is thought the thetores theShoresShores tores was seat to the bottom of LakeSuperior Lake Lakeipertor LakoSGpedorSuperior ipertor by the same gale that foundered founderedhe 1ou8deredthe founderedthethe he Russia Nestor and Aurasia several severalJay severaday severaldayday ago when the winds swept sw the Lake Lakeat Lakeat Lakeatat a seventymile velocity velocityThe velocityThe eIodtyTheThe owner of the boat says he ts sera serathe SUItthe sirsthethe wreckage e kage sighted is from the Snores Snores5AESBARS S EMPLOYES MP S 1 FROM UNION TJUIONDrench UNIONFrenchIBFrench Government Seeks to Balk BalkPlan BalkFlansIplanK Plan of Organizers OrpanlzerParie Or OrganizersParis nJzersParis May ra f The prefecture of the theine theSeineSeine ine teday t transmitted to the procureur procureurthe procireurofof 0 the republic the e statutes OyIaWs bylaws de desited cJe depositedposited sited with It yesterday esten y by the f e orcan orcanzer organ orgaRIZer5 organizersIZer5 zer of a trade union among among the the postal postallegraph postaltaegraphtelegrAph legraph and telephone eropieyes of the thonrernnidat thegovernment68ernn government governmentThe nrernnidat nrernnidatTJte L LTempsThe Temps understands 5 that the pro proireur pro8 pro8curec pracuretacurec cureta ireur Intends intendsto to demand from the tribunal trfeo trfeoil trRJunalnal il of the Seine a decision dlsseiyhtg dtesehria the thek tJto1IftIon tineunionunion k n as having been illegally eeasti titubed eeastirted eeasttute4tute4 rted Should the courts decide that tae taelaw tilelaw thelawlaw of 1SSS iS does ROt permit such a union inieaiU 1Dd8R 1Dd8RJt unionItsiU members should they continue to to3Mtet tome tomeetmeet me will be Habie to faapriEomneac and aadJae aMlfine andfinefine fine fine2heJaePhe& Phe e National Railway RaI1wa Workers talon talonin Untonin tDkminin in congress to t today ay voted to take e a referendum refer referdttm reEAA um dttm on a general railway W3J strike A AErike Astrlke Astrikestrike Erike committee was nominated aocmvatedPrivate nemtaatedPdTatC nominatedPrivatePrivate Car BurnedChicago Burned BurnedChicago BurnedChicagoChicago May 7 High officiate of thePenttSylvaaia the thePennsylvania tilePPennsylvania P IY lines experienced e ced a thrill thrHiingescape thrillescape ing ingeScapeescape today from fire which destroyed destroyedthe destroyedI destroyedheI the special car ceo en which they were weretravellBg wer wertr3 weretravelingtraveling tr3 eltnS from Plttsburg to Chicago The Theofflcials TJaeomctaIs Theoiiclalsofflcials were First Vice Vice President deDt Jo Joseph Toepb Joseph ?seph epb Wood Seeood d Vice President J JTurner J JTurner JT1IIDerTurner and Chief Engineer Themes ThemesRood Tlt ThemesRodd mes mesRodeIRood Mr Turner C escaped through a acnnsylvanln 8I avvlndowwladew wladewt vvlndowtcnnsylvnaiaIcnnsylvanln l eunSYITn la Limited to o ChicagoloEztrn Chicago ChlcngoXo ChlcngoXoE So SoErtrat Ertra E n Fare FareI FareLeasesf I LeaTes Leases eares Union Station StatIoA Washington WashingtoneaTCyivania W Wj WashingtonIPennsylvaniaj IPennsylvania eaTCyivania R R R R US5 af in J Through Throughptos TItrottghI Throughsleepingsleeping ptos car Chicago Ch iengo Limited Lt with steep steepcarI car leaves at 545 n 1 IB No extra extrnl fare fareCommon ie ieCommon areI 1Common Floorlnjr FIoorIn = iye e n Foot FootrankFrank rank ZJbbey y a Co 8th S3and s md N Y aveMADE A SCAPEGOAT SCAPEGOATKeep U s tX tXBOYLE s I IBOYLEBOYLE TELLS COURT COURTKeep I IKeepKeep Quiet diet You Fool His HisWile Hjsite IllsWifeWile ite Hisses at Him IsmWOMAN Him1CAKES d m mWOiIfANWOMAN 1CAKES AXES 1 NO 0 DEFENSE DEFENSEWhltla DEFENSE DEFENSE1VhitlaIWhltla hUla Kidnapping flase Will n B BArsraed Ile IleArced e eS1Arsraed Arced S1 d Today oda nn D1l1lGn1 and I Go L Jn JnHacband Jurj JurjHatband J JHabandHatband Who fJ1o Was Vall Found Guilty Guiltyon Guilty GniltYon I Ionon Thursday ThnrsdnyDcclareso Declare the Boy Was WasBroueht WasBrought is isBrouhtBrought to Him In Warren arren Ohio Ohiofarcer O Ohioim io ioPLfarcer im + cer Pa PL May 7 7The The Boyle kidnappfMj kidnap wpcuekidnappfMj case today became more e of a atery mys mystery mystery ?tery Attorneys for f & Mrs Boyle rested reeodtbs restedtbatr reaeddMIrtbatr tbs case without calling a witness fat fatdefesse bateue Indefensedefense teue of the woman or ponnlui permitting g her herto Itert hertoto t be called to explain UM Mdoapphig kN kNTbe kidaapptusThe MdoapphigTheThe cue will b be argued t0BMrrow to mambo men 1IMKIIwUI menInSInS bo and win so to the jury juryThe juryTIte juryII The Arst explosion e came early In the thotrial tMII trial of Mrs Boyle when James & Boyle Boytorus Bo7hU BoyleV58rus U caned on for some letters which wIdcb11II4 ha hahad hahadhad been subpoenaed e4 to bring log into court courtRfetes courtRtda courtIdaIda Rfetes g BoytesaM BoytesaMtotes Boyle 31 saidf1 f have never bad a chance to ear T aQ aQI anPtbbigtotes I want lo tell the troth about this thisuse tfttecaoe UdCMeuse I want a ten deal and I baaat baaathad ha 9eat 9eatbd eat eatbadbad H It Am I not entitled tc a say StI la this thfeibatterT tJd6aatUcr thisswatterswatter swatterKeep ibatterT aatUcrK ibatterTKeepKeep K quiet quiet you fooir r Uss hissed d Mrs MrsBoyle MrsBoyle MrsBoyleBoyle across the tableBut table tabtoBut milleButBut Boyle JJ white wWt wUhrage rage se caatfmed caatfmedII want to ten about this kJuaaapfog k I Xwill Ic1U Iwillwill b be hoard bordForces hoardForces headPorcesForces Him to Keep Ke p Quiet QuietWell QuietWellWell show you 7 where ere yea are at t It ifyou ItYGR ityouyou dottt don t sit down and keep quiet Step Stepk StePk StopItk m hav have the sheriff take you back backto DIoekto becktoto JaI thundered th1m ered Judge Ju re WHUan m & and aa4Boyle IBoyle andBoyleBoyle sat down downLater dOwaLater downLaterLater when court adjourned a joenae Judge JuegaAHinams JudgeR 1 11WaD1sR AHinams stopped Boyle as he was being beingled beIIIgled behmgledled from the room and asked him whyhe why wIqbe whybebe had mad arms all the outburst and Boyle Boyiesaid Beyte10M Boylesaidsaid loud enough to be heard ail aI over overthe overtM Overthethe court room roomTheyve room11aeyye roomTheyreTheyve made a goat of me Yrm Yrmthought IvetIIougllt Fr Frthoughtthought about It It I had something to towltlI u uwith do dowithwith the kidnapping all right but I am amDOt antnot am amnotnot the whole thing as they are trying to tomake toMake tomakemake It out There are others ouersme hsdoeme assWoe assWoeraeme hi 1 the ease I was in Warren WaenMea WaenMeaUte when TvheRthe whenthethe boy was brought to me The man manwho mn mnwho manwhowho brought 1k t him over to tome7 me iaer dtt thot thotknow tot totkaow not notknowknow that he was Was kidnapped lie wa WM WMthe ac acthe + s sthethe one who took the boy from the tbebul1dlD school schoolbunding ehoolbuildingbuilding but 4W Hd not know what it was wasfor wasfor wasforfor He didnt plan k It and I ddat plan piatnH plaJtit planItH it either The man who did the pbaiaine pbaiaineUved pIsIrdDgUved plnadnglivedUved m hi Mercer ener County Count and was to get gethalf gMbalf gothalfhalf the money too Mrs rs Boyle didnt didnthave ldathe didnthavehave any more tp do with It than the theraan tilemAR themeanmAR who brought the boy to me meCalls meCnllll meCallaCalls Him a Dummy DummyAt Dnmm DnmmAt DummyAtAt this Juncture Mrs Irz Boyle came up upaad vpand upandand nodded her bead to her husband say saying sayIn sayIn ?ing In Go on em dummy dummyWhat du dummyWhat uny unyWhatWhat I waated to do was to go on thestand the thestandstand and ten about three others oth rs wile wilew whowere roue rouewerewere w e in this case continued Boyle bet betray batID7ray attorneys Ys threw me down They Theydidnt Theydidntdidnt t at let m me go on They said it wouldnt wouldntdo wouldntdodo any good for n me e to tell it it for il the thsJury theJwy thejuryJury did believe me I would be guilty gutlt of ofkidnapping orkWaaM ofklduappingkidnapping b Just the same What t I want waatsquare wantedtoed edto to do was to tell It It m COUrt and andagoaresquare myself self I didnt f It want to sit herelike here hereffiaelike a drnnniy 4htmaI14 and be convicted ed & l Trlthoai wIthauttelling Trlthoaitelttog tvoutteHIogtelling on the other fellows but I had t ttake ii iitaketake e it ItRepublican 1Are Are Seated SeatedXJacoia SeatedLluceln SeatedUnmanUnman Nebr Ne Nee May M 7 7The The SupremeCourt Supreme SupremeCourt ScpremeCourtCourt today seated Judges & Rose and andDean JM1II I Dean as members utemeers of that tribunal t i ii al and anddenied aIIdii i denied the t e claims of Judges Sullivan Si111 Sullivan n aadOidhaglo aac1I andI OIcIba Oidhaglo to places on the bench The fcrtner fcr termer fcrI ?mer were appointees of Goy Go Sheldon and andare aRtiue andareI are Republicans and the latter latt are ap appointees ap appointeeS appointees ?pointees of ShaUaaberger er and are Dome DeJROcrts Domeoralscrts51 i to Baltimore and Return RettIr1St1lt1aYs ReturnSaturdays5 Saturdays and Sundays via Pennsylvania PennsylvaniaRailroad Pennsyh3ntaRailred PennsylvaniaRailroadRailroad Tickets good returning until untilthe unlSundaY untilSundaySundaY night Ight All regulartr regular trains Ins exceptt excepttthethe Congressional Lfr Limited LimitedAlabama Limited lted ltedInbmAlabama Inbm t Floot1n Flooring Gooi1 GODl1 z 2c n LootFran Foot FootFranFran Libbey S S Co Co 6th stllnd at and N Y a are eIMORSE WITHOUT A DOLLARPromoter DOLLAR 30ELRPromoter DOLLARPromoterPromoter Worth ort1I 22O00frOO OA4O OO ooo In fn 100 190tdntit 100AclmitH dadtJlAclmitH tdntit dadtJl lie IM Penniless PennilesJiNew Penn PennilessNew lIcit lIcitTarkNew York May 7Oharlac i W Mcraewho Mcrae Mcraewho MUMtoldwho told several frtemnr m Ia WB 1 that tllatW he hewaa hewanwan worth jemauj sell = etl4 rust teetMled iaMMedIII od w In snnpte snnpteimrtsry suppienitelnitel imrtsry ry proccedlns ns III the Tomb Court Courtthat crttmr1 Coactthatthat he has ba not a dollar that he ea tea aa HaB HaBUs Ibill 1tafbinUs own All of of his ice trust trustMotstehlp ataawielitp tp tpbuk inMl inMlbank Mbankbank securities have gone to satisfy satisfycreditors s satietycreditors tIsfy tIsfycreditorscreditors Mr Morse declared l before Bat Boferee ReCene Bateraeree era John Whalen as well as m d the realOtate real realstate realdIUstate aad personal property that he heowaed heownedowned ownedSell owaedhMse Sell fIt Ir MAHefi s CTS r5 r5tII I1OecoitII tbt itad LlJ 1 1iii iI lat bell bellsehM & iii out of jJuVwweJc the wreck of Msr fortune fort1lMtttadt and andIt and1tIt tttadt wai wt to aat tams effort to get et at the facts factsthat facuUwani facttiDatthat Edward C Jones once a austnew 1MastDeMIdate buaioadate austnewsaoctatedate date of the mmacter had him ex exto axendued x xnrfaed Iendued as to the th Utesta1l8 state of his resources reOUlCe8X resourcesM resourcesMrMr M Jones has a judgment for Std Stdagainst StTLSSagainst I Iinstagainst inst Mr Morse The statements oi oiMr oiMr ofMrMr Morse wer wen made public today todaySLMK tcMIaiSIATIi tomSLAINSLAIN BY G GAMBLERS GAMBLERSInn MBEEES MBEEESManMan Inn Who Wins Ins at Poker Set Upon Uponand UponamI Uponandand Body Sunk in Diver BlverPissott Divert HirerPltgsttPissott t Ark May ay 7Becaase Jhcauee he had haddeaaed adAI badClerkedClerked op all at the money in a the party partyla puta partySnla a poker game ann ramblers It te said saidaaoKDMed SI d1IdDic saidsoaudaaoKDMed MOar Wafcer WWIb of C Jeimstion JeimstionN I INN YM Y crushed his skull un and sank his hfedead hisdeaddead body bod to the bottom of St FraacirRiver Francis F FUftI Francisktvet jRiver with wehjhts attached attachedMecttncation attachedIdmtditatlonIMecttncation was made co complete otate to toeay to toI totaT todayItaT through the papers found tUMl on the thnbody thoi thebodyi body which was dragged to the surface surfaceNo surfaeeI surfaceNoNo o arrests have been made JIMMie but huttliq som somstartling mmmstartlingIstartling tliq developments are expected in involving mI Involving ?I voI volving prominent planters who It t tsaid b Issaid II said were playing the game gameWflEAT sameE IIWHB WflEAT E T MARKET IN j jesShow N A PAHIG PAHIGOfficial PARmi PARmiOffiOffi Official iM Crop Cropas IigiiresShov7 Fri r esShow Shortage Shortageasas Compared with July 1908JulT 1908JulyJuly Options OptlonsFluctuate Fluctuate Four Cents Centsand C Centsand ntJl ntJlnndcand Close In Chicago ChIc o Pit Is Isat Isat Isatat Highest Figure FlgoireCaJcago Figure2IiaJ FigureJCncadJCncad CaJcago 34ay 7 7O 7011dd Ofiteial elal crop figures figuresrirei ftgureswtrtNI figureswiredwired here late today te 7 caused great greatJIGdon com comjoction ern ernactionaction ta tile wheat trade Before the thereport Utereport thereportreport was received there was panicky panickyon panickysellingselling on reiports re rts Arts of rates ta the South Southest Southwest th thTrestwest est and fear that tba the Washington figures figurestift figuresmiyht es esII miyht tift t ae be proven prow i bearish baaniehtriiest bearishWhen beariIILbWhen b the report was received recel d it proved provedBlHsh provedMiDlsh provedbullishbullish BlHsh and a phenomenal advance startad start startI starteel =eel I which wt carried prices up to 1LIFya S11 U7 IdV IdVuly f fj1liT fOr fOrJulyJuly uly sad SL Iq for f Dr September The crop cropreport cxopreport p ptreport t gives the area of winter wheat ta dothis taths 1fttbstbs country at about 24IGlI i 2 0XW cm acres acres acr s short shortof shortof shortofof the harvest t of IMS The average con condition condlUoo condition ?dition of the t crop improved Impl eel only OI J 13 points pointsorag poim3Oirl pointsCaringOirl Caring orag the month of April AprilThe A1KitTAe AprilTheThe best that can be Agured Is a harvest harvestpromise narvestprnmIse harvestpromisepromise of 4MM0i WZW lM bushels 811S etS and many nanylocal menyJocl manylocallocal authorities think the yield for fo the theyear theeer theYearyear eer will fall below that figure figureThe figureTM figureTheThe action ta the e market may be Judged Judgedby ju judgesby ge6 ge6byby the fact that July wheat sold early at ataim atUi4 atBlraim Blr A and had a break t3Ua tQo1JICh to 113 From Fromthis Fromthi Fromthisthis there rues an advance to aL11 LK Llii a alittle atltt1e atittlelittle before the cteee cteeeSliver dewSilver dgeSlherSliver Trowel to Encircle Earth EarthEl EarthEI EarthElEl Paso Tex May a7 7 7The The traveling traveJtagslhrer traellnter travelingerslhrer er trowel of Justice Lodge of Masonwhit Mason MasonTTfaieh MasonIwhit started several months ago from fromNew fromNew fromNewI New York on a Trip rip around the worjd wotjdhas worjdhas WGrJdbashas readied r El Paso p aad tomorrow will willleave willleave m mIleave ea Q for Mexico City It will later be beseat beSGt besentIseat to Hawaii I the Philippines China Chinaaad Chinandand back through Asia and Europe EuropeSloans EtnOQSl EnrogeSloansISloans Sl nI Annual Spring S1ln Sale SaleThe Stl StlTIte SaleTheThe housekeepers bouRk PfIS harvest of furniture furnituretakes furnituretakes furnituretakestakes place a today toda at Sloans KP7 G sL sLIn st stta stIata their t e annual spring sale comprising an anunusually anminasily n nUDusoaDyunusually large and fine assortment 2S & rtmC1t of ofdeslraWe ofdesirable ofdesirabledesirable furniture for every room In the thebouse tblbouse thehousebouse sent t in by local hotels bot ls storage storageconcerns storageconcerns storageconcernsconcerns and other sources not to men mention I IUon tnttion ?tion the entire content content of a 28room man mansion mansion ?sion at Chevy Chase The sale e opens opensptly pens pens1COI8Ptly1COI8Ptly 1 & ptly at If 1 odoek this morning eon conag eontmulRb eontinningtinning ag without intermission until about 4 4IB 4p 4pp IB OE until all Is sold No reserve reserveDreucd resevepr reservelxIcspr lxIcs lxIcsDressedprDrellScdDressed Pence Palings Pdln VIe 2c e n Foot Footrant FootFrUlK FootFrankFrank rant OBbey LJbbcS S Co Gth st St anal and a Y ave aveTHOUSANDS NVISIT NVISITt VISIT YISITNew VISITWARWAR t AR SHIP II IN RIVER RIVERNevNew Orleans Sees the th Missis Mississippi Mississippi Mississippi ?sippi Moored at WharfINJURyJ INJURyJictPRECAUTION AGAINST INJURY INJTJEYVictory INJURYirictorVictory irictor ict or or of City C Ih Over e r But Bureau of oU JfvJ JfvJJ ssi ssiirationWiltjk V tf tfjratlonjratlon irationWilt Will 111 Be Ctelcbraited t t J 1Jrated lay 1 lt y Dcsi DcsiWatersvn Dep DepAVnienvay D P PVnterwa1AVnienvay Vnterwa Advocates dvoeatesCnpt Cnpt Fre Fremont PreJnont Fremont ?mont Congratulated Con ratuItted for Taking Takln the theVes theCScl theVesselVes Vessel CScl cl Through South Pas Pan PanXow PassNew v vNowNow Orleans May 2 7 TJSThouaands visited visitedthe riIdtecIthe visitedthethe battle We ship Mfestes MiselmstJ i pi d today Great GreatInterest GreattMkeSt GreatinterestInterest wa walk centered ha the hug huge craft craftthe craft craftlite craftlbthe lb interest est bete being mteneWed bit by the feet feetthat tactthat factthatthat much udt dJecuootoa lectln R has been beeaoer aroused areuocdover arousedoverover the possibility of her grading 111 ta Inthe tathe illtIMthe Mtesissipui W River Maritime mea here heresay heresty heresaysay that this te impossible D l st the pros present pr prat prosout ?out stage of the water waterPresident waterPresidentPresident Pre lteat lam EllIE of the beam of tradewho trade tradewho t 6 6whowho has been making Javeatigaticns Ia ttc on onthe onthethe depth of the chanaot hum sNatmez hen to toNatebSK toNatcbesNatebSK says ys that there can 8 be no JIGtbat doubt doubtthat aouuttbtthat the battle ship will be safe MI on her herJocraey ber1MKJa heriolirneyJocraey both up and dews the river riverFrom nvsFrom riverFromFrom Ms lavesdgattons he is isSthat seUsIIe seUsIIetitat ssdsledthatSthat that the chancel nt Is free ree and is ae teas teasthan leesthanthan 1 n fortythree feet In m depth between betweenthis betweeatltts betweenthisthis city aad Xatchee XatcheeCapt XtdtecCtpt NatchecCaptCapt Fremont Not ot Alarmed AlarmedCapt AlarmedCaptCapt John C Fremont of the battle battleship 1IttJeshipship shares thee idea lieu Capt Fremont Fremontsaid FremoatMId Fremomisaidsaid that he fete dl satisfied he would WGaIdMI M Monly art artsillyonly be able to make a sale Journey u uand up upArti upudand down dew the rhreiv river but be able to turn tornU turnt turntheU t the fc battle skip with safety He said saidthat soldthat IIW IIWtlaatthat if he could net turn her he would wouldback WMIdOadc wouldbackback her to a point where such a preeeee preeeeecould processcould i icooWcould be safely executed executedAnother eceeatedAac executedAnotherAnother thin thh which Is attracting ttrK nrac nraci much 1D1IChaueDdon muchattentioni attention here is that the t huge II agfctia bgbdngmaehbe agfctianrochlHtf 6gladBga8ICktaenrochlHtf Is moored at the wharf It 1 1the isthe is istilethe first time in the history of the av avthat envy MT7tllat envythatthat a battle snip btp has ever been tied a ato up upte uptoto a wharf in a large city Every vpre vprecaution Jlle Jlleeaadot pee peemutescaution has been taken by the captain captainand ea eaancI captainandand the ponce police of the ctty to prevent an anarchists aaacIaists anarcilsis ?archists from t approaching within a dfe dfei as astaJlce metastei taste where an esptoeive e could be piaeed piaeedI pllleedRMr platednearI near the hulL hulLOccasion InIILOccasion hullOccasionOccasion of Rejoicingrbe Rejoicing RejoicingjTne ReJofeingIbejTne Ibe presence of the Mississippi here he will willb yilt yiltbe yllihagb be made Rta is de e the oessston ef great rejoicing rejoicingoaoa the part of the deepwater deepv = alet & advocates advocatesAA banquet win be tendered to the offi officers ofilceIS officere ?cers next Tuesday T1Ie night at the St StCharles StOtarles StCharlesCharles Charles Hotel at which Representative RepresentativeJoseph ReprP8eatatlveTeeph RepresentativeJosephJoseph E E Raasdeli pre ideDt of the Xatloaal Xa National a atloRaJtloaal River and Harbor Congress Coa s and andW AdW andWW K K Kavaactugh pre pce9deate president deat of f the Lakes Lakesto LakestO Lakestoto the G Gulf lf Deep ep Waterway AssociationwlH 3ssocntioewill Association S5odatJeBwillwill be e present presentThe presentT presentTheThe victory of New ew Orleans ever the theBureau theBureau theBureauBureau of Navigation will be celebrated celebratedaad celebraedaIId celebratedandand speeches speech will wUlDe be b made congratulat congratulating eoasnt1ltattag eoagrariAatag ?tag ag Capt Fremont F JDOAt over his successful successfulnavigation successfulDIltgation successfulnavigationnavigation of the South Pus which whichdemonstrated wltlckdeJllOftstrated w hicht hichtdemonstrateddemonstrated that ships of deepest ee draft draftcan d draftcan ft ftcancan safely come into the river without withoutdeager withoutdanger itboutberdanger ber of grounding grouadinsWETS groundiotWETS groundingWETSWETS WIN IN INDIANA INDIANAPosey IND INDIANAPosey ANA ANAPoPosey Po ey County Proves a Shock Sho k t tthe to tot tothe &the t e AntiSaloon ntIS loon League LeajrucIndiamtpoUs LenueIndIauPOl LeagueIndianapolisIndianapolis lad IDd May 7Psey JIINeJ is t tbanner the tbeMtmer thebannerbanner wet county tY of loOtena It gave gavia guemajertty gaveaa a majority of I 1 I4o41 to tota toky ey In faT o oretaialng ol olr ofrttinlagretaialng r licensed Uleu saloons Mmatt fosstDon Ver Veraoa e eDODDOD the county seat gave se a wet w t ma inajority majority majoritY ?jority of rSH aT imltThe rSHTheThe T e surpris su satprlsng g feature was the way thefarmers the thrfarmers thevmelSfarmers vmelS voted Practically aU of tb tbcounty the theIcounty was dry outside Konat Vernon Veraonwhich VeIDOaI VernonwhichIwhich dl tad the AatiSeiooii Leaguers to topredict tot toprcddictI predict t an easy victory 7 The wets how however however ew ewners ?ever ners showed we4i great gretstr gtrangth In the agrl agricultural agrleutUlral agrleulturai ?cultural districts dlstrlc Tyro Ttoe defeat was the thrwerst t1aeW9r theworstworst W9r t te AnUSateon AI1USaJeOa League has sew sewtaiaod swtatncd ssatamedtamed tatncdlalto SI l = 5 to Baltimore = Csd sad ndReturn ndReturnVia Return ReturnVia ReturnVIABaItmeIeVia VIABaItmeIe Baltimore ad Ohio HaAvead today todayand todayand 7 7aDdand tomorrow torabrrowUlackLitonea tomOrICWD1ackbtonea tomorrowBlacklstoneaUlackLitonea Floral Designs D I 11 Are AreBeautiful AreBe AreBeautifulBeautiful Be Choicest flowers used 11 Hth h H HDressed HDreuCd HDressedDressed Qoardk Good 2c e a Foot FootFrank FootFrank FaotFrankFrank Libbey g Co Co 6th st S and N Y ave areiiARKANSAS WANTS TO SEE EE SHIP SHIPHequest SHIPRequest SHIPRequestRequest Made that Battle Ship As Ascend Ascend Ascend ?cend Hirer to Helena Ark ArkMemphis ArkMemphis a aMemphisMemphis Tenn May 7 If I the Navy NavyDepartment NavyDepartmentDepartment favorably considers eonsl ers the peti petition petition ?tion that the Arkansas legislature le ure will willforward willforwardforward mald it the battle ship fp of that name namewitt nainewitwill go 0 S3 miles mllesfartber farther uther up the Father llatl r of ofWaters ofWaters ofWatersWaters than the battle ship Mtsotssppiwil Mississippi Mississippiw4B llJse1s ippi ippiwt8w4B go Helena Ark ninety stiles below belowMemphis bei belowMemphis w wMemplDsMemphis by river Is the city where Ar Arkansas ArJamsas Arkansas ?kansas hopes to prevent the vessel wJUi a aaMW agiftaMW 1 + h14i gift if they can induce the govern government Ovenameat government ?ment to venture the ship so solar far Intend IntendSTUDENT t inlandSTUDENT and andSTUDENTSTUDENT PLEA S GUILTY GUILTYAdmits GUILTYAdmits GUILTYAdmitsAdmits He Stole to t lo iefp verp eeP Pace Pa e Setby Set Setby Set1Jby 1J As ASHt ASHtNew AasaNew HI HINewNew Haven road Co My M Mz tlD j IB the Po Ponce P Pnee Police ?nee Court today t day Edmead C C Pity of ofSpencer ofSpetteer ofSpencerSpencer Mass Ius who was in the Sheffield SheffieldScientific 1 1Sdentide i iSdentJAeScientific School SeIIo far a while was fined finedS MOOM finedlM S and the costs of tllar Ok tint for theft theftof their tJaelteC theirofof a f 1rrltaed rllaed iAed coat ee t from 1itltk K Kk Maavttieof Maavttieof Carbondale Pa Pa and a geld watch watchIrwa watchfrom k ktnNDfrom JJelaao pel elaao iDO P I Douglass of e Worcester WorcesterMasE WwcesterMass WorcesterMassMass MasEThe MassThe MassTheThe three men were ere members ets flf f thesame the thei theseme Utesameisame college fraternity fraternityProuty atendtyProuty fraternityProutyProuty pleaded guiltY He frankly ad admitted aded adl ?mitted l ed that he stole s to keep up the pace pacesot pacesot pacesatsot by the other students Hte Ik father fatherpaid fatherpIdd fatherpaidpaid ate fine fineMA2T5T AaeMAU AnteMANYMANY KILLED XILEERiot IN MEXICO MEXICORiot ICEX1CORiotRiot on Santa Fe o e Plantation Fed F61lovfM J1 Fedlows l llowlows low Clash with Americans AmericansSI AmericansElSI Paso Tex TeL May LNews 7 News reached reachedhere reA reAe reachedherehere e todey t dtiy that 8wi11g fiMtewia e the riet on onche ondie onthedie plantation near Vera Cr Cnrz z owned ed by byGeotg bYG byGeorgeGeorge G Saabora of Chicago a a riot Iiofbe Iiofbetweea rotbetweea be betweeatweea M MexleaDlS Moxi xit sne aE occurred OR ther theSanta theSantaFe AaDta AaDtaIre Santa SantaFeFe plantation soar TtecotaJpain In which wMchmuay whichnwauy Mdt MdtweIemuay nwauy were killed JtUed with knives and guns gunsThe gtaDS gtaDSTIle gagsTheThe American vice consul is at Aeayueaa Aeayueaawhere earueaa earueaawlleJe ueaa ueaawherewhere Harold Saabora of Chicago is in inJpfl 10JatL inhillhill He will 111 protect the Interests of the theyouog theChkagoa theyouyouog you g CislcagoatsPAINTINGS Chkagoan ChkagoanEAIKTIKGS ChkagoaPAINTniGSPAINTINGS MAY MAYBE BE VALUABLE VALUABLEDetectives VALUABLEDetecdveK VALUABLEDetectivesDetectives Unearth Three Oil Oils but butJlystery buttsterT butMysteryMystery Surround the Case CaseCtadnaati CnoeCbIdmHW CaseCincinnatiCincinnati May 7 7Deteetlns Detectives early to today to today ?day unearthed three oft paintings that thatmay thaty thatstaymay = y he worth fortunes The detectives detectiveshave cleteetlv6Sllan detectivesbarehave been aeea a af work ever since Henry HenryWeMeibach HearyW HenryWeldelbadnWeMeibach W ch artist conaofeseur sevr and re restmrer re reWKer restorerstmrer of New York was arrested on a agrand agnuacl agrandgrand htrceay charge to Sad some of 1 the thevaluable tMvaluable theramblevaluable ptattegs pJa paludu s said to have Te been beenstolen DeeaRoIa beenstolesstolen by Man They ouad the three threepateiMgs weepaW threepaintingspateiMgs paW paintings bidden m Ia a state stateSeveral stIIftSeftnJ storeSeveralSeveral connoleteurs tookeAat looke d at the paint paintings pMAt1Dss paintInsa ?ings and while hIJe no one CBufci put a value vateeon vdue vduetltem valueonon them tltem th they y all agreed dIRt the paint painthaes paintkI paintshaes s stay be priceless weeks of oW inns ?tars The eanwases show where they theyhave tile tilebeea theyihave i & ara beea cut aDd torn from their frames framessend frme5d framesandsend are dim with ages age WeWcftacfc will wttnot willtell wiltnotnot tell where w he get than or ei grwbat what they theyVMe Uteya theyarea II 1M 1MI hew mst e eFI VMe B wker tf tlimmer ef tbatfaigs ae site sitewaeksi dieweds heWVifsweds r thi t1I the aut aeiters er5 ers he heS heshakes sates satessnakessnakes S his head kD knowingly wtcgi7 sad says fce fcebought 1IeboItg heboughtbought them from a man ta New York Yorkfor Ywkfor Yorkforfor l1t X a a piece e The artists names have havebeen hav havMea havebeenbeen erased e4 or have nave faded aDd the tiIepoIIce tiIepoIIcerill police policewiH policewillrill have baT photographic reproductions replOductJ made madeaad ma maaM madeandand seed them out in the hope of learn learawg JearnIBJ learnhtgwg the ownership of the paintings paintingsHONOR paintingsProminentHONOR JEROME AT BANQUET BANQDEProminentProminent Men Gather at Delmoni Delmonicos Delmonioos Delmonie9scos to Praise District Attorney AttorneyHeHe Tell Them that Evildoers Ar ArAlvraya Are AreAlwa ArAlwaysAlways Alwa on the Job but Good GoodrUcn Goodlen GoodAlenrUcn len Co o Home EarlyNew York May iThe I The friends of Wii WUIlam Wiihun Wttt WtttTravers =hun Travers Jerome Je gave bin a dinner dinnertonight cIiaDertoaIIkt dinnertonighttonight at Dehnoniees to emphasize stillfurthtr still stillfarther st111fanltufarther tnen belief that he has beenstrictly been beenstrictly Ue6Rstrktlystrictly oa the level as ittscrict attorney attorneyof auonteYot attorneyofof New ew York County Perhaps St men menof me meoSJlDe menofof oSJlDe some once eminence ta tie professions jKOfeestc the thetew OMJaw thelawJaw literature jouraansm jc espectiUly especidly lis listened Us UsUDOO htstencd ?tened to hit defense 4ler liSe of Ms conduct in in45ce De inofficee ee 45ce and cheered him hIAieph vfldly wiIdIyJoseph vfldlyJcsephJoseph eph H Choate who w was pr prin JItjIdaeDt JItjIdaeDtin emt emtinin arranging the dinner was c cJTasniRgtoa dbeI dbeIlashI toJTasniRgtoa lashI 1 ashIngtos OR aad Edward E4wanlM M Shepard nl presided pre prei pceo pceostded =i sided ta lib pi e e At Mr Jeromes Teromessat Jerome s lett lettsat letlsatsat Mark k Twain very aoticcaMe MUe indeed indeedta indeedInta Ms white naanete among the btaclc btaclcswaAowtatts bJae bJaeswanowtaUs c cswallowtailsswallowtails and boiled spats Mr Clesa Clesaeats CIe1eRtS Clementseats entered eater kite and the orchestra for forsome forso forsomeso some reason grabbed Old Black Joe Joefrom Joefr Joefromfrom fr their music sheets sh ts and saluted himwith him himwith Rwitkwith that lugubrious Jugubri us selectione selection seteetJoMr1 Mr Jmnm Jmnmpromises J r & me e tit m a speech recalled the thepromises tilepronpromises pron lie made ta Ills first campaign campaignfor campaigntor campaignforfor dtetri distrlt t attorney attORe mad ia Ms second secondSome S9CtmS secondSomeSome he e had not IWtDen ben aWe to keep keepthough keep keeptbough keepthoughthough after Her all he said sai he had toldthe told toWthe toldthethe people pe ple not that he would do things tugsbut thingsbut tlftngsbutbut that he would try to t do do them tIIeRlbe1 thembe thembecause be because ?I cause waves of reform I had come and aadgoae andbut1 goRe but always the u cohesive lq por pcr pcrpu rsof rsofpublic xfc xfcpublicpublic plunder was sUNg straagThe sUNgThe strongThe and1 &The evildoers saW Mr Jerome Har Haralwa arealways we wealwaysalways alwa s en the Job while the good man mangoes mangoes mangoesgoes home e early Laughter LangiiterjGAMMON Laug LaughterGMiTON ter1 1GAIDtIONGAMMON MUST SERVE TEEM TEEMAmerican TER TERMAmerican r rAAmerican A ertcan Promoter Promot r In Paris Found FoundGuilty FoundGuilty FoundGuiltsGuilty of Swindling SwindlingParis SwindlingParis 1TlnIUnJParisParis May iCharles Charles Woods Gammon Gammonwas Gammonwas Gammonwaswas sentenced today te4laYtG to imprisonment far fartwo rertwe fortwotwo years y and to pay a fiDe aae of fraacs 3100francs soo sooffaDeSfrancs fraacsGanwnoa ffaDeSGammoR francsGammonGammon who is from 11ml Seerameata Cat CathMS Catj Cajhamham been coaductteg tOD eoaducsttg f for r seme some time abank a abaakt bank k at 4 Rue R12e Salate Sabte Aane ins e all s d ass hasbeen hasbeenI been beenthe It the leading I SpIrit irit la the ihe Araerteaa A Americanl3a Americanl3apletatloa eicaa Ex ExpWtatiOR x IpWtatiOR pW atOA Company The eGmp cbiBpaay ay was wassupposed was5VPPGod wassupposedsupposed to eatt wn n valuable mines mlA S In the theWestern t theWestern J JwescernWestern States of America and a MrGammos Mr MrGanunoas i iGammOlsGanunoas s chief cl occupation was setting settingstocks selllagstocks sellingstocksstocks to Frenchmen F endtmen Spaniards and aadPortusueae aMp andPortuguesePortuguese PortusueaeKe p PortugueseHe e eHeHe was arrested on June S on chargesalleged charges chargesxflegcd eftaqa6aDealleged xflegcd aDe cd swiadiinc swi is litig to the amount as mnt of ofee o oiC ofliC l ee 3c He was lS retessod ea bail pond pondtag penflIn p03111kegtag In trial and and complaint cOmpl R flt6 to t the t e Ameri Americas Amercan ?t caR Embassy in ia Paris and tetegcapaed tetegcapaedto te Pb Pbtoto President pesident Roosevelt that he e was the thevictim Cm throevictimvictim m of a conspiracyAtlantic conspiracy conspiracyVtlantlc CO SPLacltnntlcAtlantic City Clt Special Through Tram TramOf Tr1inOf TrainOfOf buffet parlor cars ao4 couches cacb s via viaPeaBsrlvante mpPaRIilanla vinPenmy1vanIPeaBsrlvante Railroad do Delaware Dela lawat rar RccrBridge River RiverBridge RlttBridgeBridge route will w leave lea W Waskingto VasWagtos i atlc at at1ti1ti lc 1 5 p m week days beginning Saturday Satnrdayi Saturdaynextt Sat1ttfi Sat1ttfiRexRex May S SFencing 5 5II F Fencing Dcln hoards onrdS 1 175 Per 100 Feet FeetFrank PettFranki Frank LIbbey 8 Cxx Co 6th st atu1d at and X Y ave aVLAAMElVillE e CH RG RGMM MAYBRINGCHANGE MAYBRINGCHANGEDawsou Y BRING CH NGt NGtDawsonDawson Says Congress 5 Will WillSettle WillSettleaSettle Navy Dispute DisputeSPEAKS Disp Di spite spitef te tePEAKSSPEAKS TO TOENGnEERS TOENGnEERSCO MGINBEES MGINBEESCommends 1 f GINEERS GINEERSCommendsCO Commends 1mends Address Add ess of FormerChief Former FormerChief FormerChiefChief of BureauDeclares Bureau BureauDeclares BureauDecIareDeclares Public P bUc Is Tiring of the Con Continuous COntfunons Contfnnous ?tinuous Airing Airin of the he Dissensions Dissensionsand Dfssenalonsand Dissensionsandand that Action Should Be Takento Taken Takento Takentoto Supplant Advisory Boards that thatArc thntArc thatAreArc Not ot Responsible RcspoDlbIeS4TS Says Inspec Inspection Inspection Inspection ?tion Opened Open d Many ByesTtet EyesV EyesThat Eyes Eyesjjr rDIet ViDIet the recent jftseeastows d oeaslos s ta JRthe t the e Navy NavyDepartaaeat NavyD NavyDepartmentDepartaaeat D Department vividly accentuated accellt ta the thespeech thespeed thespeedaspeech of Rear Adanrai Melville l Thurs Thursday T1nttsdq Thursday ?day eveantg ee Ig as reported r excteatreiy inThe in inThe inTllcThe Waahfagtea aebt8gi Herald y yesterday e tec eterday morn momtag mornHlg mornSagtag will receive atteatloa ta Coagre Coagrewas Congress Congresswas Congresswaswas the Import of aa address by Representative Repre Representative Repre3eRtadTe ?sentative Dawson of Iowa Iewa last night at atthe atthe atthethe baaauet of the Society of Naval Na EOgi Engiaeors EOgiaeers Eogiseersseers at Rjmscners RjmscnersComiag RuseltersComIDg RauscchersComingComing as the climax of a aumber of ofaddresses ofa ofaddressesaddresses a made by Rear Adnnral Sperry Sperryan Sperryai4ai4 an others ta which w rte navy and its reistion re retattoB rekUoRtattoB to naval MI eagiaeertag eag Deectag was discussed dtcussedand discussedaad dIecussedaand a mutually praised the tlMr8lRrks remarks of the theWestern ther theWesternWestern r est4nl Congressman Csagre esmaa were well received receivedIt recehedItIt bed been expected that recognition of ofthe ofthe ofthethe caustic criticism by Admiral Melviiie Melviiiewould Melvillewould dvi11e dvi11ewealdwould be noted earner earlier in the evening and andMr andMr andMrMr Dawsons unexpected speech was a asurprise asurprise asurprisesurprise Declaring that be admired the theadartrars theadmkars theadudralsadartrars fnlkDe1i6 frankness in crtddstos d the thepreseat thepresent thepresentpresent systeM Mated rated by Secretary SecretaryNewbcrry SecretarYewbcrry SecretaryNewberryNewbcrry the Representative begaa his hisImpromptu hisf hisImpromptuf Impromptu Impromptu ompbt reflections rMiutleDsConnlct redactionsConflict t tConflictConflict TiringThat Tiring TiringThat TiringTRThat t there h is & a abundant 4mde t opeertmky tlllllkj for forreorgaatsaliOB forrecarg1lprtia8 forreorganlnatiosreorgaatsaliOB te the department d andthat and aadthat andmatthat Congress and the people of the theUnited thec theCartedUnited c Carted tMd States are tired etI of the constant constantconaict CODStanttc conaict uInct t between the officers of the line lineand lineApcl lineandand Apcl the staff ta the the avy D was expressedta expressedta in succinct termsKhle terms terrasWhite termsWhileWhite Mr Dawsoa D moa did not coiMait hlm hlms himselfs self f f to any particular method Soc a profit profitable pN profitable t table ?able reform r of the navy he Intimated tatlmatedthat IIItlm Intimatedthat ted tedtJthat tJ at the creation a tklll of + f an advisory board boardcomposed boadcomposed boardcomposedcomposed of aScers e kers created by few tohe to tojicaptas tomeme aaakJec atiaka of tile ua nay would WCMMdaI wouldc wouldhelpingcaI helping the Secretary SecretaryiKT ett Secretarysrt th th iKT conduct the afiates oi ohis ohisdepa his hisShould hisdepadepa depaShouldShould Supplant Boards BoardsOae BoarcbODe BoardsOneODe of the principal Deeds is the sapa sup supadltg supattngboards that thatare thaare thatarea adltg ng of those advisoryare DOt responsible to t Congress es6 and thepeople the thepeople thepeoplepeople he saM The watchword of thenest the thenext thenestnest Congress I aat led to believe will willbe willbe willbebe economy and I would advocate tak taking aklag taklog ?lag precautionary steps eps to trim up the thenavy theDaVY thenarynavy I am not here to defend the planput plan planpnt planDtput ta operation ta the dosing days of ofthe oftbe ofthethe test adonntetration and I am aware awarethere awarethere awaretherethere are seme members of Congress Congresswho Congresswho Congresswillewho are DOt iaspreseed wick the tne system systemwhereby systemwhereby tem temwIIerwhereby whereby wIIer there is so an DlllCS1T mUC z won toof don of ofdpportateats ofts ofdepartmentsdpportateats departments ts ta the navy vy yards yardsII 1 will also state te that toe inspection of ofthe ofthe ofthethe navy J yards arcade recently by a Con Congressfefial Congressional CongteeeIogressfefial aI committee revealed r certain certainconditions certaindoII5conditions doII5 that were not praised JIIIIIed JIIIIIed1Ie praisedThe uiatKUTheThe 1Ie troubles te this anuefc of the theAmerican theAllledcaa theAmericasAmerican service that have bees recently recentlysired recentlyaired recentlysedsired in the press and magazines es haveled the public pob to beffeve there te some something sometldDb something ?thing defective ta the navy The navy navyis na naIs navyIsis still being admfanstercd erd under a system systemthat systemUaat systemthatthat is seventy years old old and I would wouldsuggest wouldsue wouldsuggestsue suggest eet that we leave here tonight t aiSht de determined de deto deteraaaed ?termined to fuhTO the re r lleSt & r est made by byAdmiral b bAdmIra1 byAdmiralAdmiral Sperry rry that unity 1IIIItyactuate C purpose purposeactuate purposeactuateactuate every department t to Hr the navy navyIa na na1A nay nayInIa this I would urge that the press unite unitswith uniteith unitewithwith ith Congress te working out this prob probJeat probJeHL problJeat l sJeHLApplaudApplauded d by Banqueters BanquetersThe BanquetersThe BancinetersTheThe applause that greeted gr eted BesKgsut BesKgsutape tnt tntMise nt nteMise ape e Dawsoa at his conclusion was a aisatere a aJeae afearerisatere fearer of the banquet bauet Another address addressthat addressUIat addressthatthat evoked the plaudits of the Ugi UgiBcers eaginters ngi ngiacersacers was that of Prof W Hutton of ofiiirabta ofGpmdlla oftuablaGpmdlla iiirabta University His sktUfuily veiled veiledaltirical TeiledJurica1 veiledrealaltirical Jurica1 real remarks about Secretary New Newberry Newberry ev evbberry b try were evidently ap appreciated appreciatedThe appredlLtedThe wedated wedatedTheThe only other reference ref Me to Admiral AdmiralMeiviUes Adm1 Adm1MelTJUes AdmiralMeldnesMeiviUes statement temeot was contained in in thespeech the thespeech thespeedaspeech of Admiral WatewrtBht who said saidf s saidhe Jd Jdbebe was as prowl 1te was a member of f thepersonnel the thepersona thepia Osfavor Osfavortvith Gsfaorwl Clsfavorwithp personnel persona board which seemswith wl I the former & chief engineer of the thenavy t1enavy thenavynavy navyThe navyThenavyTOO The banquet marked the tweatyfirst tweatyfirstaaatverary t twentyfirstanniversary first firstaaJltvena1Taaatverary of the Naval vt1 Engineers Soclety So Society S0 S0cietY ?ciety aDd th the manner aDReI ta which the mom aiembacs membats momhotsbats and their guests celebrated c eIJcated th the occa oeeasisg occast oecaitst sisg it a ta AI de the feast xuspteione xuspteioneAdmiral auspldousAatnil 1Isleioat 1IsleioatAmiral° Admiral Sperry ta responding to the thetoast thetoast thetoasttoast rite The navy praised the engineers engineerswho gngineerswho sineerswho 110 made the world cruise cruise possible and andwith andwith andwithwith whose aid the fleet was able to tosteam 10sta tosteelssteam sta past the Presidents yacht in inHampton inHaJRiMDR ± n nHamptonHampton Roads R s ea February 22 2 at oclock 10 10odeck 1058oclockoclock Instead of 11 oclock oeIock as per ached schedule scbedtIe achedtie ?tIe tIeHeHe urged more mor uaaaJraity ta the rightarm right rightarm rightarmarm eC the American service serrice09 and predietcd pre predicted predicted ?dicted that the future of the nary was waaso wasso wassoso brifSaat that it would rant first among amoDitlu amongthe amongthethe world powers powersTonnt powersTgnllt powersToastToast to the President PresidentSenator PresidentSe1 PresidentSeSenator Se1 Se istb tM Ciapp Cla p answered uswer tae toast to tothe toUte tothethe President t and said s ld that e office ce was wasa wast wasnota not t only the greatest gift m the bands of oftlte oftits ofthetits people but b1attJaat thai it was preamfeently preamfeentlythethe highest hoaor to be offered ued ia tha thaworld thewetldworld He tacieetttally eulogized stze William WiUiasiHoward WilliamHttwanl WilliamHowardrwerlHoward Taft as a one of calm calm judicial judicialtemperament judicialItIt temperament who will fttdngiy ffiigiy an th thoffice thlerlee &lerlee office made m famOus by his predecessors predecessorsAs pr ClecessorsIAs a member of the RoaM Naval Af rSairs Affahs MftlrsI fahs Committee Representative W WRoberts E ERoeerts Eo EoRoeeRoberts of Massachusetts U6e1uL eCb told of the thenavy thena thenat77navy na and the thenrda7 people peopleToday peopleFToday F day an are anxious that we should shouldaave Sbo1J1dlaTe shouldharelaTe aave the greatest gre nest naval force In the theworld thewerWThe theworldworld werWThe The limit of the navy vy rests not notwith notwIda notwithwith Congress advisory a advieo T y boards boU 8 Or even evenContinued evenContinue1 eveaContinuedContinued on Page 2 Column ColumnPopular CQlamnpopatrr ColumnPopularPopular Excursion Stmc11 Sunday S us day Hay 8 8BaSfcaore 9t pBjtlhsoret BaSfcaore e k Ohio R RR B 3 Round trip trP 1Ferry i iPolttu lFF mr rF rFPoint Ferry Clutrieaown wnmltPoint oUa W Ta Stephenson and W Winchestar winches winchesS ches chestete Va Va Spedal train e1ves ewes Washington WashfntonaS a a m au rt returning caiag g same day dayFraaJtUIbbey7 dayfn dayHogrdsHogrds fn S1hbu 817 S1 For 100 Pt PtFr PtFrankFrank Fr FraaJtUIbbey7 Llbbey SCo6h Co eo6th 6th st st and N Y are anii}

我要回帖

更多关于 some people think 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信