Nurse, youi have worked forvery hard. thank you very

Patient Stories, Nurses are Angels
Nurses are Angels&&
Stories, poems, thoughts and letters from patients and nurses who have touched each others lives in special ways. NAA is created and maintained by Christy Gerber Jones, an RN at , Dayton, Ohio.
Patient-Nurse Connections
Submit your stories to
CODE: WHITE DOVE
by Shelley Madden
Jeb’s hands, aged by time clutched the cards before him. He peered at the blurring faces staring back.& He had heard the call over the nursing home loudspeakers.& Code: White Dove.& The cards fluttered from his hands, landing quietly on the table.&&&
He gazed at his partner, Betty, opposite him.& It was time to go.& They spoke no words, they knew it was time.& He watched in silence as she quietly rose from the comfort of her chair, easing her weary bones against the table for support.
Jeb slow a nearby aide rushed to his side, and steadied him before his walker.& He brushed her away, determined to make the long walk down the corridor on his own.
The near silent hum of wheelchairs followed behind him, as he slowly made his way toward the front entrance.& He could hear the click-click of other resident’s walkers, and doors opening as more residents stepped into the halls.&& Soon, the hall was lined on each side with nurses, aids, family members and residents.
He steadied himself a moment to catch his breath, and gazed out the corridor window.& A lone white dove had made a perch in the nearby tree, its glittering diamond eyes watched him through the glass, filling him with peace.& Sunlight played through its alabaster feathers, as a light wind ruffled the golden leaves.& He smiled at the bird, caught his breath, and determinedly made his way to the line of residents as they formed on each side of the hallway.
He gazed down the corridor once more.& The back doors were locked, as they should be.& No more whisking out a resident who had passed in the night in secrecy.& No more silence as the deceased was covertly taken on their final journey through a side door.
Now, they would leave the way they come to spend their final days, through the front entrance. This way, everyone would have their chance to say their goodbye’s.& Warmth filled his heart, joy filled his very soul, as he watched the procession approach.
Mrs. Bailey, a resident, and a friend of many years, had passed quietly. She had been loved by the nurses, and the aides, and the fellow residents.& Shrouded in maroon velvet, her body was slowly being wheeled toward the front door.& A nurse followed directly behind, as Mrs. Bailey passed in front of her fellow residents one last time.&
The nurse began to sing.& Soon, all the nurses joined in, and the nurses aides, and the janitors, and the residents and even the families who had also lined the halls.
&&&&&&&&&&&&& Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
&&&&&&&&&&&&& That saved a wretch like me,
&&&&&&&&&&&&& I once was lost, but now I’m found&&
&&&&&&&&&&&&& Was blind, but now I see…
His heart filled with joy as he watch the stretcher slowly pass.& Residents patted her leg, or stroked her hair as she was slowly wheeled into the glittering sunlight.& Lips mouthed soundless prayers, as others sang proudly for her, and to the heavens above.
&&&Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear
&&&And Grace, my fears relieved
&&&How precious did that Grace appear
&&&The hour I first believed…
Soon, she was gone.& His heart sang as he wished her well on her next journey.& He eased himself back into his walker, and slowly began making his way down the long hall.
He had the urge to turn back once more as the car gently carried her away.& He watched as the dove flew from the tree and followed, as she was carried to her final destination.& He recalled a bible verse:& Oh, that I had wings like a dove! For then would I fly away and be at rest…
“Go, my friend, on the wings of the dove.” He whispered.& “He will take you home.&&
This story is dedicated to the staff at Green Valley Nursing and Rehab, North Richland Hills, Texas.
Copyright & 2011 Shelley MaddenAll Rights Reserved.
Nurses are &Earthly& Angels
Dear Christy,
My name is Helen Young and I live in Jellico, Tennessee.& I was browsing different web-sites regarding angels when I ran across yours regarding nurses being angels.& I am 100% in agreeance with you regarding nurses being earthly angels.& They touch so many lives with there medical assistance, tender loving care and there spirits.& On January 02, 2003, my mother passed away loosing her three year battle with cancer.& The summer of 1999 my mother called me explaining to me that she was bleeding profusely as if she had just had a baby.& She had been post menopause around 14 years. I work at the local community hospital, where I have worked for the last 17 years.& I took her to see a family physician that deals with high risk pregnancy and female menstrual disorders.& After his examination he explained to us that we were dealing with cervical cancer, it was invasive and had already metastasize to the rectum area.& He set us up with a gynecologist/oncologist at the University of Tennessee.& This physician was truly a wonderful expert in his field, and also a Christian man.& Everything he recommended to my mother she tried, she so desperately wanted to live and overcome cancer.& She was 62 years old, with no major health problems.& She had been the rock and strength of our family for so many years.& My father passed away when I was a teenager (17).& She had three grand children at the time of her death that she loved greatly.& June 2002, she attempted a second surgery which would allow her to be cancer free.& They attempted to remove the tumor that was discovered growing in her pelvic area.& Unfortunately the surgery was not a success and she was given approximately six months to live.& Her health slowly deteriated and in August 2002, I had dropped down to a PRN status at the hospital and moved in with my mother to assist with her care.& December 2002, she was admitted at the University of Tennessee Hospital with renal failure.& The day after her admission they were going to insert a catheter through her back and into her kidneys in an attempt to open up her kidneys.& She was a full code at her own choose.& She wanted everything done except to be placed on a ventilator.& Sometimes when things happen we do not understand why, but God has a purpose.&
When my mother would be admitted to the hospital I would always stay with her to help her and care for her in any way that I could.& Know one ever stayed with me, my brother and aunts would come for visits and would bring me changes of clothes,etc.& On this last hospitalization one of my aunts decided she was going to stay with me in Knoxville.& I was grateful but told her she did not have to, but she insisted.& That night I was extremely exhausted for some reason, I absolutely could not keep my eyes opened it was as if I had weights on them pulling them closed.& My mother woke me up several times wanting to talk but I could not stay awake.& I tried so hard but I just couldn't.& A pastor friend of mine stated that this time was my mothers time with the Lord.& The Lord knew if I was awake she would focus on me and would want to talk with me.& Around 5:00 am I was helping her change the depends undergarment and chux on the bed, after she laid back down she spoke only for a few moments than had a grand-mal seizure.& By the time the nurses arrived the seizure was over.& After the seizure I called my brother and told him something was wrong and he needed to return to the hospital as soon as possible.& We live one hour from Knoxville, he stated he would get my mothers other two sisters that were in the area and he would be on his way to the hospital.& Around 6:30am she had another grand-mal seizure I thought she was going to jerk off the bed.& It was the worst seizure that I had ever seen.& When the nurses arrived she was still having seizures, they called for the intern physician to come to her room stat.& After he was in there for a period of time he came out to discuss her code status with me, I of course told him to carry out her wishes.& With in 5-10 minutes the intern again came to speak with me, he stated her condition was not good.& Her oncologist told him I had a medical background and understand exactly what he was saying.& After a discussion with the intern and her oncologist I made the decision to make her a DNR.& My brother and myself had decided previously if the decision ever came to us to make that she had suffered enough.& Even if they coded her and she came back she would continue to suffer with agonizing pain from the cancer with no hope of being cured except by a miracle of God.& They were finally able to stabilize her.& Her oncologist told me she would never wake up, she was in sort of a coma state and would be that way until she passed away.& It was only a matter of time but he did not know how long.& I remember after three days she woke up and spoke to me she knew where she was, she knew who I was and all the family that was there.& When her physician came in I told him she woke up and talked to us I was so excited she was getting better.& What I didn't realize or think about is the thing we always see in our hospital (they always get some better before the die).& I wasn't ready to hear that I thought she was going to pull through and I would be taking her home to continue to care for.
He told me of course to not get my hopes up and that I needed to realize that she was never going to return to her earthly home, but she was going to her heavenly home.&
I wanted to write this letter on behalf of the nurses on the sixth floor at the University of Tennessee Hospital and what true living earthly angels they are to the patients and the families of the patients lives they touch.& The sixth floor is the oncology floor.& What a great gift and blessing these people are.& The day before my mother died, there was a nurse that cared for her several times. Stopped by at the end of her shift to tell me goodbye, that she loved me and God loved me, and that she would be praying for me.& She then proceeded to say, I wanted to tell you this because I probably will not see you again before my next shift.& She looked over at my mother and said you know I don't think it will be to long before she gets her wings and flies into the arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.& She then hugged me and she was correct I never saw that nurse again.& My mother died that night.& When that shift ended I saw one the nurses that I recognized coming down the hall who was supposed to be off and on her way to North Carolina to be with her fianc&e.& I hugged her and told her how glad I was to see her and asked her what she was doing there I thought she was.& She replied yes, I should be headed for North Carolina but for some reason God wants me to be here I don't know why but my place is her tonight.& Well we discovered before the night was over why God called her to work that night, she is a 17 year oncology nurse.& She knew more than the interns did on how to care for oncology patients.& I don't know if I would have survived the night without her.
God blessed us richly during this time by surrounding us with his people.& He always had his earthly angels watching over me and my family.& From the angels at the University of Tennessee Hospital to the angel physicians and co-workers at the Jellico Community Hospital.
Who continuously ministered in prayer, love and guidance during this time.& There is not a day goes by that I do not think of my mother, I loved her with all my heart and there is still an emptiness in my heart.& I am so thankful we have such a wonderful loving God.& Who has promised that I will be able to see my mother and father again.
My Special Nurse
Dear Christy,&
I was told about your web site by a friend of mine who has visited your webb site many times. I was so touched from the stories i read as well as other articles you have put on your webb site.& I have a story to tell and i want so very much to get this story out before God decides he wants to take me home. I want to share with you and your many readers the meaning of &NURSE. Knowing this nurse as i do he would not want recognition for what he has done but in my heart i feel the need to express to him as well as other nurses how very much they are appreciated. Nurses are Angels and it's up to us to let them know this in any way we can.
I am writing this story not for sympathy or self pity I am writing this story to share with each and everyone of you what the true meaning of a nurse stands for. Six years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The doctors told me my whole life was about to change. I broke down and cried. How can I do this? Will I be able to fight this and win, all these questions running through my head. I picked up the phone and made a call to a man whom has touched my live in ways no one could ever imagine. Terry answered the phone I began crying.I told him what the doctors had said. He was a nurse he would tell me what I had to do he would have all the answers. When I told this nurse what the doctors had said all I heard for a brief second was silence then I heard him say. Sonja, I am a nurse and I don't have all the answers but together we will find the answers to your questions and together we will get through this. It will be tough but we can do it with God's help. I told this nurse I did'nt think I could go through a complete mastectomy. He told me I could get through anything, that I was not alone and to watch the mail he was going to send me something. A few days later the mail delivered a package to me. Inside was a white bear with brown shiny eyes and a pink nose. This bear had wings of gold. If you pressed it's paw it prayed for you. I held that bear an cried then I went over to the phone and called the nurse who so unselfishly sent him to me. When Terry came to the phone I told him how much I appreciated what he did for me . He told me that he wanted me to have this bear to get me through the fight I was about to undertake. I named him Terry Bear. I had to have a complete mastectomy I took Terry Bear into surgery with me he prayed and gave me peace of mind.After the surgery I felt useless, unwanted less than a woman all those feelings you go through. The pain was terrible the chemo even worse I would lie in bed at night and cry be so sick from the chemo I couldn't raise my head. The pain was so unbearable at times I wanted to die. I wanted to pray but couldn't find the strength to do so, but there was Terry Bear a push of his paw and he would pray through out the night for me. I clung to that bear like it was my life line. When I was allowed to go home the nights were hard and long, there were many times I picked up the phone in the middle of the night hurting and wanting to die. Terry would always answer, he would talk to me about snow, mountains, walks in the woods anything to keep my mind off my pain. He cried with me, laughed with me, hurt with me. How many nurses would give that much of themselves to someone in another state. Someone whom they owed nothing to. He would research my medicines encourage, support and walk through each step with me. This nurse never felt sorry for me like my friends he made me fight to live. If I started feeling sorry for me like I often did he would tell me of someone who was worse off than I was. If I was not fighting with all that I had he would tell me right out. Sonja, you have to do what you can to keep fighting you have to keep your head straight and fight. He always told me that he would never feel sorry for me, he would support and walk with me but he would not allow me to give up on myself. I asked myself why is this man who has so many patience and so much going on in his life taking time to do so much for me. The doctors told me I would not live 6 months to a year. Terry always told me I should fight and show these doctors the strength that I have and the faith in God that I have always had. He told me as long as I continued my fight he would always be there to help me when it got tough. I was turned down for a trial clinic because I refused to admit I was going to die. But I believe that God wants me to live to help others see that there is hope. I have went through several Terry Bears due to loss or giving them to others in need but my special nurse always manages to get me another Terry Bear. I named this Angel Bear after this nurse because he's and Angel. I have known many nurses in my life time but never one who has given so much compassion , love and support. The cancer showed up in my vertebrae, kidney. I have been in and out of remission. I've been battling this for six years now and just finished another round of chemo but Terry Bear is still my crutch and my
special nurse is still very involved in my treatments and is my biggest supporter. This nurse cared enough to show me tough love. He gave me a good old kick in the behind when I felt like throwing in the towel. He never let me quit. He made me fight for what I believed, he pushed, encouraged, fought and made me see how very fortunate I was to be alive. He sent me post cards, books with bible verses so that I could read and keep my faith. He even sent me bible cassettes so that I could listen to them when I was unable to read. He would take pictures of rainbows, I always loved rainbows and thought of them as one of God's miracles. He called me when he was on his way to a patience house and said he saw a rainbow that started at the sky and touched the ground. He told me he was taking a picture as we spoke and sending it to me. That picture is on my nightstand as a reminder of God's miracles. He took many pictures of snow, mountains God's beautiful creations and sent them to me so that I could keep them by my bedside and look at them when things were tough. This nurse is one of God's angels he has given so much of himself to helping me fight my battle for life. When I felt I wanted to die, couldn't walk another step, face another needle another round of chemo Terry helped me see through others eyes and see that I was not the only one who had problems.He reached out his hand and took mine and walked with me. He never asked for anything other than for me to get well. He has given 6 years of his life to help me in my fight for life. If it had not been for God his miracles and Terry whom I call my very on Angel I would not be here today.I have come to realize, I want to live and I am not alone for I have my faith, Terry Bear and my own special nurse. If he has given so much to me I can only imagine what he has given to so many others. I can't put into words how this nurse has touched my life. I am alive today because of his unselfish, unconditional love. A nurse who is compassionate, caring and willing to go that extra mile. I will never be able to repay him for all he's done , but this is something this nurse would not expect to read about how much he has touched one persons life. He chose his profession because he truly cares about people. He's and angel without wings and wears his title as nurse proudly. Thank God for Nurses like him.
Sonja Gaither
Westfield Center, Ohio
Nurse Information
Tammy Miracle, RN
University Hospitals Health Systems
Cleveland, Ohio
Pray For Your Nurse
Dear Christy,
I am married to a nurse with twnty-one years experience at a large teaching medical center/hospital in Northeast Ohio.& She is an inspiration to me and her R.N. colleagues.& She was certified in I.C.U. and Oncology, which is her
main career mission.& I worry about hearing of the &burnout& factor in nursing.
It is important for husbands, wives, significant others related to nurses to be loving and supportive.& I believe in the power of prayer, and know that God has a special place for nurses.& I hope you will pray for your nurse, hug your nurse and tell him or her how vital they are to people's lives.&
Thank you for letting me share this with you, on behalf of my beloved nurse/spouse Regina..
Sincerely,
My Angels At MVH
Hi Christy,
I sat here tonight feeling even more grateful than usual reading the stories from all the loving nurses, MVH included. On Sept 18th &2002, I awoke in the middle of the night to a heart attack. Female and 40! I was in a coma for almost 3 weeks and in MVH for almost 3 months, and though I ran across MANY angels there that contributed to my survival, one particular nurse not only helped me but touched my heart and those of my family.
Her name is Molly, she works on the 3rd floor in Pulmonary, along with Mary who is PT. I don't know eithers last name but these are the most remarkable women I know. They showered me with smiles, comforting touches, praise, and encouragement. They also knew the right time to tell me it wasn't time for me to give up and the courage to fight some more.
Now that I'm home, I find myself missing these 2 more than I ever knew I could. They were the ones who washed my hair, watched me till I fell asleep, and made me know I was so blessed to meet Angels here on Earth.
I pray they read your page so they know how much I love them, and how much gratitude I have for them. Thank you Molly & Mary...for the talks, the fingernail polish, but most of all....for your love!
You two are and shall always be..MY ANGELS HERE ON EARTH!
How true today what you have said.
I work for the elderly, and though it is not a glamarous title today.& I recently experienced a tragedy at my place of employment.& You know, I think that companies these days see things as ie: acceptable risks.& I know I am out of step, but, there are no acceptable risks when it comes to a human life.& I just wanted you to know, that although I am suffering inside for what has happened, your words warm me and make me know that all nurses especially the old ones like me still feel the patient is number one.
Thank you for the blessing of this web site.
God's Peace.
&... Make one little child happy and comfortable& ...&
Dear Christy,
I was diagnosed with chronic asthma when I was born and have spent many times in the hospital. When my doctors were busy, and could not take much time out for me, the nurses always answered my questions and always treated me with the best of care. I am now 17 years old and I am planning on going to school to become an RN. I was always interested in the medical field, but I was never sure what I wanted to do. Then, on November 14th at 6:28 a.m., I lost my best friend of over 10 years to the fatal genetic disaese, Cystic Firbosis. His name was K.J. and he was 15 years old. I had always known how important and sweet the nurese were to me, but when his family told me about a few specific nurses who cared for K.J., I knew it was what I wanted to do. My goal is to study respiratory therapy and become an RN at a Cystic Firbosis center. I know it will be hard to see little kids like K.J. suffer from this illness, but when I start to get sad, I will just remember that the nurses made such a difference in K.J.'s life ata the end. If I can make one little child happy and comfortable, then everything will be worth it.
&Follow the light and someone special waits for you.&
Dear Christy,
In 1994, while nursing in Dallas, Texas I cared for a patient that was dying. Her family had a farewell party for her one evening on the 3 to 11 shift. I was assigned to take care of her on the 11 to 7 shift. Little did I know that I would meet her Guardian Angel that morning. You see, she had a hard time letting go, even though you could see in her eyes that she knew the fight was over for her. She was 89 and her breathing was shallow and labored. She loved her family very much. In Room 511 her daughter, sisters, nieces and nephews all came to kiss her goodbye. Even her priest came to say goodbye.
I did not realize that God sends you Angels to say goodbye, as well. After making rounds of all my patients that morning I checked her first and last. Before my first break I got a new admission, a woman in her late 80's that looked like she could be in her early 30's.& She introduced herself with a very pleasant and soft-spoken voice, then reached out her hands to grasp mine. She ask me in a soft whisper if I believed in Angels. I told her that I did and she asked me to do something for her.& She asked if I would tell the woman in Room 511 to &walk in the light and to not be afraid for someone on the other side waits to lead her through.&
I went to Room 511 where the lights were low. She was laboring to breathe. I opened the curtains to see if the moon was shinning but the clouds covered its light.& After a few moments of hesitation I did what the other patient asked. Kneeling close to her ear, I whispered that she had shown extradiordinary strength and how loving she was to all those close to her. I explained how saddened everyones heart was to see her leave, but that it would be selfish of me and the others to pray that she continue to hang on. I held her hand and asked her to follow the light and someone special awaits to see her.& Within a few short breaths she was gone.
It was always my practice to visit with each of my patients early in the shift and pray that each of them wait until my shift was over the next morning to leave this world. I now know this was a very selfish prayer. I learned that day -- that very hour -- that being alone at the hour of death is a terrible thing. I pray that when it is my time someone will hold my hand and tell me to &follow the light and someone special waits to see me.&
She will be in my heart forever.
Dear Christy,
I am 17 years old and a CNA at a nursing home. I love my job. I go home at 11:00 each night knowing that I have touched someone's life.
One night while making my dry rounds, I was talking with a 76 year old lady named Retta. We were having a conversation about the mystery meat dinner, when she stops in mid-sentence. She had a fixed look on her face and tears in her eyes. When I asked her what was wrong, she merely smiled and took my hand. She then drifted into a sound sleep.
When I returned later to give Retta a snack, she watched me like we would never see each other again. Then, out of nowhere she spoke, &You are my angel. You treat me as though we are family. I just want you to know that God has a special place for you. You have given me joy in my last days here. Don't cry when I am gone. I will watch over you and wait for you while I visit with God.&
I was so touched that tears were falling. I told Retta how much that meant to me and kissed her good night.
I was off the next night and when I returned to work the following day I was met with the bad news that Retta had passed away the night we had spoken. I was heart broken. The family asked me to attend the funeral since I had been one of Retta's &favorites&.
After the funeral, I began to realize that I shouldn't be upset. She knew she was going home and she was happy.
Retta inspired me. I think about her every morning and when I prepare to go to work. Because of Retta, I am now enrolled in the 2002 Fall RN classes. She will be in my heart forever.
God Bless You All!
Hello Christy,
I was in MVH for 4 months. I was in Intensive Care and on a ventilator. I just want to thank& all the Nurses and Doctor's for helping our family through a very difficult time. I had to go through physical therapy and wore leg braces for several months. My doctors were Dr. Linker and Dr. Thakor. I had several great Nurses and a wonderful Physical Therapist, Shawn. God Bless You All!
Nurses and Angels Mean Something Good To Kids Like Me
Dear Christy,
I'm 13 and have leukemia. Nurses treat me nice and help me deal about things scaring me. I'm a boy and not supposed to cry but my sickness scares me and my nurses help me. So do other patients in the kids cancer ward. I'm home now in remission partly, but still getting treated. It's not fun having leukemia. People like my nurses make my life easier even if they have to do things to me I don't like. They hold my hand and wipe my face when I cry which I hadn't done for a long time and& worried somebody would think I was a sissy.
Nurses and angels mean something good to kids like me.
&From A Nurse in England&
Hi Christy,
I read the stories of nurses tonight and felt really warm and humble reading them and they made me want to tell my story. I have been a nurse (and healer no doubt) now for 28 years and have seen many changes and worked very hard in my profession hopefully giving love, respect and compassion to patients I have nursed. All the goodness I gave out in my career came back to me through God and healing when my own Father at the age of 79 had rectal cancer and surgery last year. We live in the UK and because I was a nurse all the stops were pulled out to help him when he developed post operative pneumonia after a abdominal perineal resection and colostomy last year. Dad was critically ill in Intensive Care and almost died but due to wonderful surgeons, aneasthetists and nurses he lived! The most wonderful thing however is that Dad was always afraid of death but now fears &going home& no longer because he said he would not have cared and that it would have been ok if he had died then as he had no pain or worries. He no longer is afraid and has lived his life to the full since buying his first brand new car, having several holidays and driving some 500 plus miles to Ireland and back exhausting himself in the process but enjoying his own personal challenge immensly. Dad also was alive to see me marry and to see yet another Christmas with us and hopefully to celebrate my 50th birthday this year with all of his family around him around the Christmas period. All due to prayers, healing and nursing and medical care I am sure was returned to me at that time because of what I had given out in my career as a nurse, teacher and healer.& I hope my story gives hope and comfort to anyone reading it who is experiencing anything similar at this time and that it helps someone, somewhere out there. Lots of love to all.
&Nurses are angels sent from God!&
Dear Christy,
My Name is Bethany. In the last 2 years I've been in the same hospital quite a bit and it's far from home and my parents didn't come that much and the NURSES BECAME MY BEST FRIENDS! One nurse in partictular became kind of like a mother figure to me! She always made sure she had me when she was workings. She would find time to come in and talk and come in and watch ER with me and she would stay with me at night when I was having a bad one! We're best friends and I luv her like my mom and I know I'll know her till the end!!!!! From my experience with these awesome bunch of nurses, I'm gonna be one!
&I want to be as perfect a nurse as possible.&
Dear Christy
My name is Erika, I emigrated to the US 12 1/2 years ago.& I'm a nursing student finishing my fifth quarter, and just in 10 more weeks I will be finishing up my nusing school. I worked as a student in many hospitals, but there was a particular hospital where I was disapointed. One nurse I worked with was always so busy that it seemed that he never had time for patients, co-workers, or anyone in general. Because I was under his direct supervision, my patient, who was also his patient, I felt,& was lacking the necessary care.
It is difficult to remember everything you learn in a hopital just in one day a week for eight weeks. I want to be as perfect a nurse as possible, but the understaffed system makes it seem impossible. I hope that I will find a friendly, well-staffed hospital that will welcome me in their midst.& Nursing is the best profession in the world, I would not have chosen it otherwise.
&They're not just nurses, they're beyond the word nurse.&
Dear Christy,
I think your site is great.& I believe there are truly some very special people called nurses. They are there for you when you need them.& They care and that's what makes patients feel that their just not another number.& My life has been revolved around doctor's & nurses since birth.& I have been going to the same hospital for over 10 years for treatment on a monthly basis.& I have a new family made up of my special friends.& They're not just nurses, they're beyond the word nurse.& When I come in for treatment,& they always go out of their way to make my stay as easy as possible.& They almost always save the comfortable room for me.& They sit there and talk to me.& We laugh, share secrets, watch tv, and spend many times just listening to each other about anything and everything.
They go out of their way to come by and see me when their working a different floor. Now,& if this isn't unconditional love,& then I don't know what is.& Nurses are nice, understanding, radiant, exceptional, and super sweet.& Nurses stands for these words and so many more.& My nurses are my heroes in time of need!!
Thank God for such beautiful people.
Thank you,
I got my license in December, 1994, and have loved working in the nursing profession ever since!
Dear Christy,
How wonderful it was to log onto your site!& I have the greatest respect for nurses everywhere, but especially to the wonderful nursing staff at Miami Valley Hospital! Let me fill you in on my story.& Sorry it's a little long, but I want you to know how wonderful your profession is to someone like me.
My name is Robin.& In 1991, I had just gone through a nasty divorce.& I was the single parent of a beautiful 3 year
old daughter, Kiley.& Through some very unwise decisions on my part, I became involved with a man who swept me off my feet with promises of marriage and happily ever after's.& I became pregnant.& Abortion has never been an issue, I decided to make the best of it, and bring a beautiful life into this world.& However, in my 5th month, I began to have trouble with diarrhea.& I then developed a severe upper respiratory infection.& In one weekend, I became so ill I could hardly walk.& My OB, Dr. Sarin, in Troy, Ohio, immediately hospitalized me.& Within 24 hours, I was transferred to MVH with a temp of 105, and I was also in preterm labor.& Dr. Sarin then transferred my care
to his friend, Dr. Buttino.& The first nurse I met in the CCU area of the Barry Women's Center was a spunky little lady named Mary Ann.& She took charge, and I immediately took a dislike to her bossiness.& The 15 days that followed are quite a blur.& However, I remember several angels who hovered above me during those hours.& Mary Ann insisted every day that I brush my teeth--even though I hadn't eaten in hours! Another angel was named Marcia --& a sweet lady with the hands of pure ICE! I lovingly refer to her this day as my Ice Princess!& She sat by my bed and fed me, spent hours comforting my parents, and even held my hand for what seemed an eternity when the doctors were inserting a Central Line d/t the fact that I'd gained 40 lbs. in 3 days. My sweet sunshine nurse was Sally.& She even brought in a group of carolers the week of Christmas. . .even though I& bawled like a baby and yelled for everyone to get out. I remember her genuine sweetness.& Then there was this quiet 3rd shift angel.& I didn't know her very well, and for the past 8 years, I knew very little about her, other than she had beautiful curly reddish-brown hair, and eyes that changed color nearly every day d/t colored contacts.
Just before Christmas, I was diagnosed with Acute Viral Pneumonia, and after much begging, I convinced Dr. Buttino to let me go home for Christmas. I was dismissed on Christmas Eve Day.& Unfortunately, 15 days later, I was re-admitted in preterm labor again.& At this time, I was introduced to Dr. Wm. Wilson, the gastroenterologist who I firmly believe saved my life!& He quickly diagnosed me with Crohn's Disease, & put me on medications to try and save the lives of me and my unborn son.
On February 3rd, I phoned Dr. Buttino.& My due date was March 17th, but this time my contractions were 5 minutes apart.& I was advised to go to the hospital and if I was in true labor, he would meet me there.& Within one hour, my whole world was turned upside down.& The nurse performed an ultrasound, and before she even told me, I knew what was wrong.& My little boy was no longer alive. This would be the hardest yet happiest day of my life.& I met Dr. Jeff Hatcher that night. . .a wonderful man, and a dear friend in the time of need.& He spent hours talking with me, consoling me in my time of need.
My labor and delivery nurse was none other than my sweet sunshine nurse, Sally. Bless her heart, she was so awesome! I gave birth to Benjamin Adam Gray, a 5 lb 15 oz beautiful angel of a boy!& Sally encouraged me to spend as much time as I wanted holding him.& They took pictures of me with him for a memory album, which at that time I didn't want.& But those nurses knew best, and I thank them every day for encouraging me to do what at that time was the hardest thing I'd ever done.
After all this tragedy, you probably wonder how anything positive could come of my life, right?& Well, the next thing I'm about to tell you is the most amazing of all. Prior to my illness, a friend had encouraged me to apply for the nursing program at Edison state College.& She was an RN, worked weekends only, and brought more money home in 2 weeks than I did in a month!& So, the seed of greed was planted! I was going to make money!& However, when I was hospitalized, I decided there was no way I could ever take care of other people!
After the diagnosis of Crohn's Disease, the death of Benjamin, and a DVT in my inner thigh only days after his funeral, I had almost a year of convalescing time to think and pray.& It was none other than the bossiness of Mary Ann (who is one of the dearest people I know, by the way) and her take-charge additude, the positive and loving care of Marcia, who spent TIME with me, the sweetness of Sally, and the mystery behind the curly-haired 3rd shift angel, and their encouragement in those days that gave me the spark to light my fire!& I was advised to live as stress-free a life as possible d/t the Crohn's Disease.& The first thing I did was go to Edison State College and sign up for pre-requisite classes for the RN program& --& much to the dismay of my parents, who were treating me like a china doll who might break if the wind blew too hard.&& I took only 2 classes that term.& However, when I applied for the nursing program, I didn't even make the waiting list, which was 2 years long. It was then that I learned about the LPN program at Upper Valley Joint Vocational School in Piqua, OH.& There were no openings in the pre-requisite testing, but was invited to show up and be on stand-by.& There were 4 of us on the stand-by list for testing.& And thanks to God, there were exactly 4 people who did not show up for the test. I passed the test, and in November, 1994, I graduated!& I got my license in December, 1994, and have loved working in the nursing profession ever since!& I began working home health, but the travel wore me out so much.& I then worked 3rd shift at a nursing home, which I truly loved!& However, it is almost impossible to raise a child and work 3rd shift!& I also remarried in 1995, so I am the step-mother of a beautiful daughter, 'Andrea.
I now work full time at a physician's office in the Troy area.& People have a misconception of what an office nurse does. . .admit patients and call in scripts. . . WRONG!!!& It is so much more detailed!& I have been at this job for 4 years now, and have the highest senority in the nursing department of our office--a practice with 5 physicians, 2 physicians assistants, a nurse practitioner, a psychologist, and a physical therapist. I LOVE WHAT I DO --& HELPING PEOPLE WHO NEED ME!
Now, for the end of my story. . .remember the curly-haired 3rd shift angel who has remained a mystery all these years?& There is a student working in our office under the direction of our nurse practitioner.& She's a sweet lady with straight brown hair, and beautiful eyes.& We talked many times about MVH and her job.& Just days before Christmas, during the middle of a conversation, it came to me that she looked so familiar...... the best gift I got last year for Christmas was the revealing of my mystery nurse. . . her name is Brenda!
I made a commitment to God when I was so ill that when I was up and healthy again, I would do his will, no matter what.& I am now fulfilling that promise. . .helping those who need help.& Not only do I work with the physicians, but I also operate a program within our practice for patients who are indigent and have no access to their medications --& the Patient Assistance Program.& I have been asked several times to phase out the program d/t the time it takes to do all the paperwork, but I refuse!& This is my calling! Anyway..............
I know your site is titled &Nurses Are Angels& and I wanted you to know I think the nursing staff at Miami Valley Hospital are truly angels in disguise! I also think that the patients we touch with just a smile, a touch, a hug, or a moment of our busy schedules are truly angels, too!& Thanks for your time!
When I grow up I want to be a nurse.
Dear Christy,
I love the stories& about nurses, They make me feel like I have a lot of compassion for myself. They will be out there all the time to help people. I 'm only 14 years of age. When I grow up I want to be a nurse. I& love to help people.
... she saw a man in a bright light tell her not to be afraid for tomorrow she was going with him to see the Lord.
Dear Christy,
I have& served people as a CNA since I was 15 years old. I have been doing this for about 23 years and I think our youth forget that our elderly have alot to offer. After all they have so much of our history in their mind if we choose to lisen.
I have& always been truely impressed by how the things we have learned in school. A lot have their own stories that match with their countries history. We should be proud of our greatest asset ... our elderly.
I have also, like many,& sat on dying& peoples bed and you can just feel the presence of God. And how these people& know that the Lord is coming to take them home. That is how I have always heard& the elderly phrase it. They are never dying, but going home. I have also, in my& 23 year, have heard people tell me of a bright warm light like as if someone were& hugging them.& People tell me they have seen& their deceased wife or husband and that they were coming to take them home.
I& had a 109 year old women tell me that she saw a man in a bright light tell her not to be afraid for tomorrow she was going with him to see the Lord.
So,& yes this is one person who believes in angels.
&From Nowhere, A Nurse Appeared At My Bed ...&
Dear Christy,
At 25 years of age I was diagnosed with Pleurisy and confined to a hospital bed.
One lung had filled with an unmentionably colored fluid and I was given an expectorate to help clear out the resultant Pneumonia that accompanied my Pleurisy. Needless to say, when I coughed, my ribs pushed against my filled lungs, with a pain akin to torture. At night. it was a race to see if I could get to sleep, with pill, before the expectorate kicked in.
Most nights it was fine, but one night, I didn't make it and the resultant cough ripped an involuntary scream from my mouth. The pain was unbearable and I knew in a split second I would cough again and experience an agonizing torture.
All this flashed through my mind as the first scream tore from my mouth. From nowhere, a nurse appeared at my bed and pushed against my side, keeping my inflamed lung from pressing against my ribs. The next cough came and her brilliant efforts stopped an agony which would surely have caused me to pass out.
I had never seen this night nurse before and after the coughing ceased, I thanked her from the bottom of my 25 year old heart. I later found out she was a former Army nurse who had returned to &civvy street.&
To this day, I have nothing but respect and admiration for all nurses: the caregivers who understand the physical and emotional harm of pain and who add their kindest ministering to all patients. When I saw the TV series, &China Beach& I was reminded of my WAC nurse and her incredible knowledge, skill and compassion.
Mary Became One of Mom's &Gals&.
Dear Christy,
I cannot tell you how glad I was to come upon your site! I just lost my Mother to cancer two and a half weeks ago.& Through her illness and death, there was much sadness and pain. But more importantly there was much spiritual healing and miracles of the heart.
We had to Place Mom in a nursing home at the end stages of her disease so she could recieve 24 care. Prior to her illness my Mom was a very proud woman, she had a hard life and it was very hard for her to open her heart and let her love out and our love in.
When she was first diagnosed with cancer, in my grief, my biggest fear was that Mom would pass through this life without opening her heart to God or to her children and grandchildren. I prayed, and asked everyone I knew to pray for the Lord to move Mom's heart, so she could express her love and feel ours before she died.
She had stopped talking to me about God years before, and I was so afraid for her at this time. One night while I was staying in her room, one of the nurses (Mary) from the Nursing Home came out to visit with me.. she asked me if Mom had expressed a desire for last rites or for a priest/chaplin/minister to visit her. I opened up to her, through my tears told her how afraid I was for Mom. My Mother's eyes had turned a milky white color and had no life in them at all.. That night Mary came in and asked Mom if she could pray with her... and Mom said yes, Mary prayed with Mom and asked Mom if she could say that she believed in God, and Mom DID!! I sat quietly in the chair, tears of joy and gratitude to Mary rolling down my face..
Mary became one of Mom's &gals&. She provided skilled care to Mom, but way beyond that, Mary touched my Mom's soul. The next morning when Mom woke up her eyes were crystal clear! The Lord and Mary gave my Mom hope. After that Mom's heart was healed completely, the layers of hurt and sorrow and pain were peeled away. Mom was able to accept our love, and give out her love freely. Many, many miracles happened in the end days of Mom's life, thanks to the Good Lord and a Nurse named Mary. Mary will forever be in my heart and prayers.
I just wanted to share this wonderful story with you Christy, I have thanked Mary many times for her kindness and love for Mom, I would love to honor her on your page.
Thank you for your Time, and for your website! All Hero's Need to be SUNG!
&When I cannot cure, I can still care.&
Hello Christy,
I'm a relatively new RN with just one year of clinical experience, but in that year, I have learned so much -- about spirituality, about human nature, about human frailty, about life -- that I never would have learned in any other way except through nursing. When I happened upon your website, I& thought of the many stories I have already collected and wanted to share one with you.& This particular incident occurred when I was a student nurse on& the oncology floor at a rural Midwestern hospital, about 5 years ago.
Just before taking report from night shift, I was going through my patients' charts when Marian, the nurse I would be taking report from, came& up to me and asked, &Are you going to be assigned to Mrs. S today?&& When I answered yes, she said, in a whisper, &Before you go in there, there is something you should know. About 5 seconds ago, the doctor informed her that she has a massive malignancy in her left breast.& Likely, it's terminal.& The poor woman is an absolute wreck. I've never seen anyone shaking so badly.& She keeps saying she doesn't know what to do. Perhaps you can get through to her.& Do you think you can handle this one?&
Seeing as my instructor was boring holes through me with her stare, I gulped, nodded, silently took report, and headed down the hall toward Mrs. S's room.
Mrs. S was crying quietly when I walked in.& My first impulse was to cry, too, or to say something profound, something that would &make it all better.& Instead, I took her hand, looked her in the face, and said softly, &I'm Meg. I'm going to stay with you until 3 this afternoon.& Your night nurse told me what the doctors just told you.& I want you to know that it's OK to cry as much as you want.&
It was as if I'd given her the &permission& she needed.& Mrs. S began sobbing as I finished speaking, clutching my hand and murmuring the jumbled words that come when pain is just too deep for expression.& I sat next to her on the bed as she cried, just holding her hand.
I learned many things from Mrs. S that day.& I learned how life is precious even to the elderly, how -- even when staring in the face of death -- one struggles to eek just one little bit more out of the life that is left.& When I discovered the source of the cancer -- a black, crusted crater in Mrs. S's left breast that easily accommodated my entire fist -- I learned about the crazy dance of denial, the unwillingness to surrender this experience called life.& More importantly, I learned that even when I cannot cure, I can still care. Now, working on a floor populated mainly with HIV / end-stage AIDS patients, this lesson is reinforced to me day after day.
This was also the first of many times that I have prayed with a patient.& It was all I could do for this woman and it seemed like so little, yet it meant so much to her. &Thank you, dear, thank you so much,& Mrs. S said with a beautiful smile on her face, &you don't know how much that means to me.&
I still think about Mrs. S a lot -- if she later remembered that brief interaction with me and if her death was as peaceful and dignified as she deserved.& By working with her, I realized that nursing care doesn't always have to involve bedpans or IV pumps or high tech machinery, but it must always always ALWAYS involve the heart.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share my story and to allow me to share in the stories of others.
God bless.
, RN, BSN -- Columbus, Ohio
When Mary leaves ... Ernest Does Move.
Dear Christy,
This is a true experience. One I have shared only with my family and friends. The hardest part in writing this, is not having the right words to explain the &feelings& involved. Perhaps it's not for us to know.
I've been giving private care to Ernest, 82 yr. old, four hours a day, for the last 2 months. He has lung cancer and is under Hospice care.& Ernest is not a religious man, although he seems to believe in God.& He never prays and fears what the &afterlife& may be, if there is any at all.
His sister told him to pray three times a day, now that he is dying. Ernest told me that he doesn't know how, and it's too late now to become a religious man. I told him that he needs to find what is good in himself and focus on that. He is a loving dear family man, and good business man.& I love his life stories, and I explained that he has done &right& in his life to have all his children and grandchildren still around him. That is his religion.& He liked that and felt better.
His wife told me that Ernest seemed confused one day and kept asking her, &When Mary leaves do we have to move?&& She said, &no, we're not moving anywhere.&& We were unsure what he meant at the time, but a few days later we knew. Ernest had weakened greatly over those last four days he was bed-bound, sleeping most of the time.& In constant pain.
One morning, as usual,& I sat and talked with him. T &Do I have to move with all those people?&& I asked him,& &What people? Who do you mean?&
He asked me again, and was a bit irritated,& &Do I have to move with all those people?&
And I said,& &Yes...they are here to take you to Heaven. When you move, you will move to Heaven, and I am here to help you.&
In an instant I saw &THEM& and I flowed in conversation, not hesitating or thinking of what to say. It was so moving. The room was filled with brightness,& the whitest white I ever saw. There was a crowd of people/angels facing forward to me, without definition, without detail. We were surrounded in this vision and the room felt pressurized and very peaceful.
Ernest began to cry, &Am I going to Heaven?&& I &Yes, it's the only place you're going to be moving to.&
He then began talking about his cancer. He never spoke of his cancer to me. He spoke very clear, not his sometimes soft mumble, which he often spoke due to fatigue and Morphine. I began to cry.
We talked for half an hour, until he became too fatigued.& I then went out to the kitchen to share this with his wife. But I did not tell her of my spiritual vision. She too believed that in this particular incident that Ernest truly did see angels (or whoever) standing there, ready& to help him move to Heaven.
&THEY& allowed me to see them briefly, or what seemed to be briefly, because time was measured only on earth, to help put peace in Ernest to prepare him for his journey.
I went back in his room and held his hand, soothed his body with gentle rubs and meditated, for the next two hours. I almost felt like I was in a trance, yet I knew where I was.& And I loved the experience I was just given.
Ernest did not die that day. Curiously, the following day he did not want anyone to touch him or be near him, he merely wanted to be left alone.& So I sat and talked with his wife for four hours, frequently checking on him.
The following day when I arrived to his bedside he hugged me and hugged his daughter then he began to cry, whimpering like a hurt animal, stating how he hated the changes in his body and that he doesn't have much time left.& That was the last day I saw him.
Now we know it's true. What Ernest said: &When Mary leaves...Ernest does move.&
He's safe in Heaven.& I know in my heart that this was not meant for me...but for him.
Love to all,
My Love For Elders
Dear Christy,
Your page was sent to me from my cousin.& I enjoyed your page.& I am a nurse of almost 8 years.& I have always worked with geriatric patients and have enjoyed that work since I was 15.& Now that I am getting older myself, I find myself questioning my call in life.& What should I do?& Make a career change, change to a hospital, go in to a totally different career.
I would like to share a little about what I have learned.& My facility that I work at is about 88 beds, and I work with intermediate and skilled level care. Each day I am faced with some sort of challenge whether it be an elder who slaps me into next week or whether it be a crying elder missing their spouse who has passed away leaving them behind. Or the days of working so short that you just pray that the day will quickly pass and that you go to the bathroom to just sit and try to get your head straight.
Seeing the frail skin of the elderly, seeing them on their death bed gasping for air and no family there to sit with them so you sit there and hold their hand so they wouldn't have to die alone. I see more than just a person lying in a bed who can no longer feed themselves or take themselves to the bathroom. I see a person who smiles when one of our facility cats jumps into their laps and a face light up when a child from our local school brings them a picture that they had drawn especially for them.
It is so sad, many of these elders no longer have family or someone to call even to check up on them.& They just live there and we are the only family they know. That is what I have really learned is that they have become a part of my extended family. Now I have a daughter, 5 years old and I want her to know and respect the elders. Elders is the name that the residents chose to be called instead of residents or patients.
It is amazing how an elderly persons face lights up when they see a child. Or when one of the most combative, suddenly smiles and reaches out to hold one of our facility pets.& We are &Edenizing& our facility, and I have to say if you aren't familiar with Long-term care, you are missing out on a wonderful opportunity to learn about life histories of elders that have lived through 3 centuries.... all the wars known to& us.& The great depression, and families having almost 20 children& and how they managed and how God helped them live through it all.
Today I think we often forget we get busy wrapped up in our day to day things to notice that a elder may offer some real comfort advice or inspiration....Amazing.
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to talk about my love for my elders.
Jerry's Song
Hi Christy,
I was excited to see such a positive idea from a fellow nurse. Our profession is so valuable yet it is undergoing so many negative changes and we are acting like we cannot do anything about it. Just seeing your article in the paper was so uplifting and I want to say, I am right in your corner. I am a nurse at St.E's and work in OPS. I have 17 yrs. of various types of nursing and can say I have not regretted any of them, but realistically speaking, they have really been difficult, as you know better than I.
My story is about a nurse who recently took a few moments to sing a song to my Aunt Marilyn who was dying at Kettering Convalescent Home. Marilyn had Down's Syndrome and she was the most loving person on earth. She was struggling to breathe and Jerry, the nurse, sang to her a song about angels that Marilyn would have learned in first grade at St. Anthony's school. Marilyn seemed to be hearing her singing and peace came over her and she began to relax and stop laboring so much. It meant so much to my other aunt and I to see Jerry care so much to take those moments to reach out and make Marilyn feel calm and not scared to die. I hope that when it is time for me and my other loved ones to let go of this life, that we have a &Jerry& at our bedside singing like a special angel to us.
I know I will try to be more loving with my patients, now, because I was on the other side of the bed, and I saw what it takes to be a true angel of mercy.
Sincerely,
An Inspiration For All
Your web page is wonderful and so inspiring. I am a nurse working in a small rural ER. We see so much suffering and then something will happen that brings us all back to the reason we became nurses. We are all so blessed to be in a profession that allows us to care for our patients and touch their lives. So many times they touch ours and make it all worthwhile.
I lost my mother this past June and the nurses at Washoe Medical& Center in Reno (ICU), were a Godsend for me and my family. They were what nursing is all about. I can't express how grateful I was that Mom had these Angels to care for her and us. We were allowed to spend all the time we wanted to at her bedside. They have a special program that they call &VIP&, (very important person). They use this program to allow families to become a part of caring for their loved ones. They made us a part of Mom's care and didn't leave us feeling so very helpless. They really are ANGELS of MERCY.
An Angel Sent From God
&My name is Tina and I have been a nurse for almost 10 years.& I was sitting here dreading my birthday and wondering throught the net and just came upon this site.
The reason I am dreading my birthday is because I lost my mother May 14,1998. I am the baby of 6 children (29 y/o) and really missing my mother. You see my mother always made birthdays special.& And she is not here to make things bright and cheery.
So, I would like to tell the story of the one nurse that sticks out in my mind about my mother's care while she was at University of Arkansas Medical Center. All I can remeber of the nurse's name is Teresa, but she was an Angel sent from God.
My mother was diagnosed with Sorjen (show-grin) Syndrome in late March. Of course being the only one in the medical field I go to the internet to research what this disease is.& At the time my mother was diagnosised in her disease it was more than likely about 90% fatal.& Other diseases she had also include Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Raynaud's Syndrome.& My mother WBC count always stayed below 6.
On May 6, 1998 my mother was admitted to UAMS for what I thought was Congestive Heart Failure.& Well, I was wrong.& It was pulmonary fibrosis. I will never forget the day my mother was placed on the ventilator.&& Teresa who normally works night shift came in to help me adjust to the thought of my mother being on the vent.& I kept telling my family that she was dying, but noone would listen. They had to keep doing all kinds of tests.& My mother would not have wanted done. Teresa was by my side and talked with my family and told them the exact same thing I was.
My mother was placed on the ventilator on Monday.& Tuesday a lung biopsy was performed. On Wednesday the intern and his team of doctors told the family that a decision needed to be made by Thursday @ noon.& That Wednesday night I sat in ICU with Teresa and watch my mother through the window and talked to her about everything that had happened, but I still felt my family would want to continue the life support even without any help.
As we talked that night she allowed me to vent my anger and dispair at the situation at hand.& She also talked with my family @ length about what the felt my mother would really want done.
The next day @ noon Teresa came in after working 12 hours the night before to hear the decision to remove my mother from life support.& Then I was back at work that night to care for my mother.& As I sat up camp in the ICU waiting room the phone rings and it's Teresa and she informed me that I was to get back to my mother's room because that is where I would be staying that night.
Teresa broke every rule as people know them to ICU standards that night. I assisted in caring for my mother that night and just being in the room and letting my mother know that& I was taking care of her was the most wonderful experience I have or will ever have.& I have Teresa to thank for that.
The next day @ 2pm my mother was taken off life support and Teresa was there. She was supposed to be off work for the next 4 days.& I was and still am to say that Teresa is a colleague and a friend.& I will never forget the way she took care of me and my family in our time of need.
Sincerely,
Sarah's Tears
Hello Christy,
I am a nurse in TX. I found your site looking for a graphic of Florence Nightingale. It is a neat site. I am including a story for you. Hope you enjoy it. God Bless.
Late one December night on the cancer ward the halls were quiet and solemn. The clients were asleep and most of the visitors were gone with the exception of a few who were staying with a loved one who was on the fence between life and death. The nurses were gathered about the nurse's station preparing for shift change, and discussing the patients that they had had. Each showed the signs of stress that& a day like they had had brings with it and were watching the clock hoping no one& had called in causing one of them to stay over. It had been a long shift, there had been a directive about a cut in support staff and that the nurses would pick-up the load, two had called in sick and causing the patient load to be high, and, of course, they each had a patient who seemed to be on the call button ever 15 minutes.
S having worked seven straight 12 hour days, Christmas was coming, the kids had a list of wants and needs, her husband had been laid off, and the house payment was due. What kept her going was that in January she was going to quit.
After ten years of answering call lights, starting IVs, working short staffed, putting up with constant administrative changes, and listening to bickering and complaining co-workers she had decided that it was not worth the effort anymore- there had to be a better way to make a living.& Nursing had become such a drudge.
PING. PING. PING. Sara angrily looked at the call light box, &Good grief, this must be the 20th time that she has been on the button tonight. What could she want now.& The patient was a seventy-year-old woman. Sarah had been to her room at the end of the hall at angrily she started down the hall. When she drew abreast of room 235, she suddenly stopped.
She stood motionless as a soft, beautiful soprano, voice wafted out of the room singing:
&Because He Lives.&
And then one day
I'll fight life's
And then as death gives way to victory,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives.
Tears welled up in her eyes as she listened to the music, and thought about the young woman that room. She was thirty-five year old mother of two who has ovarian cancer, and the doctors had given her only a week to live-perhaps only days. Sarah remembered as she stood there, tears in her eyes, how this young terminal woman had such peace. She would speak to everyone who came into her room when able and she would smile even in her pain. Also, she was one of those people who have the knack of getting others to talk
Sarah had even shared some of hers. She took the time to share her faith and let people know that the reason for her peace was a faith in God.& All the nurses who had been around her commented on her strength and how they had felt peace and calm and how their shift had went better after talking with this exceptional young woman.
Tears cascaded down Sarah's cheeks and stained her uniform with moisture as she continued to listen to the words of that heavenly }

我要回帖

更多关于 thank you very much 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信