YOu can easy new filefind the new house. 对不

Newegg.com - A great place to buy computers, computer parts, electronics, software, accessories, and DVDs online. With great prices, fast shipping, and top-rated customer service - once you know, you Newegg.
If you are reading this message, Please
to reload this page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button).
if you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this message.
If you see this message, your web browser doesn't support JavaScript or JavaScript is disabled.
Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings so Newegg.com can function correctly.
iframe for layout
Shell ShockerTM
Daily Deals
Explore Pi Day & Makers
Shop With Confidence
Testimonials
We won't be beat on price.
Free 3-Day or faster shipping.
12 Months Special Financing** every day on purchases of $499 or more.
EXCLUSIVE SAVINGS FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Please add "promo@e.newegg.com" to your address book to ensure delivery.
Trending Now
Select a Plan & Save
Repairs & Replacements are costly.
Being covered pays off.
You're Covered
100% Parts & Labor
24/7 Customer Support
Hassle-Free Claims Process
Provided by Service Net A+ rated by Better Business Bureau
Service Express
Repairs or Replacements in 5 days or less or your money back
No Shipping Fees with Service Express
Shipping Restrictions
Newegg does not process or deliver orders on weekends or holidays. Delivery will be next business day.
If the Adobe Reader does not appear when you click on a link for a PDF file, you can .
iframe for third party code【中考直通车】最新的阅读题材
我的图书馆
【中考直通车】最新的阅读题材
叉子是怎么成为餐具的?the fork as an eating tool&&&&
“fingers were made before forks.”(叉子出现前,用手抓饭吃)—when a person gives up good manners, puts aside knife and fork, and dives into his food, someone is likely to repeat that saying.&&& the fork was used as an ancient agricultural tool, (古代农业用具)but for centuries no one thought of eating with it. not until the eleventh century, when a young lady from constantinople(君士坦丁堡) brought her fork to italy, did the custom reach europe.
& by the fifteenth century the use of the fork had been wide-spread in italy. the english explanation(解释)was that the italians do n”. english travelers kept their friends in stitches while describing this ridiculous (可笑的)italian custom.&&& anyone who used a fork to eat with was laughed at in england for the next hundred years. men who used forks were thought to be sissies, and women who used them were called show-offs and overnice. not until the late 1600’s did using a fork become a common custom.
令人终生难忘的假日my holiday
&&&& this holiday my sister and i went to shanghai. my sister had just graduated and she wanted to find a job in shanghai. my uncle lived in shanghai, so we lived with him after we got there. on the first day we went to a lot of interesting places, including waitan and huangpu park. the next few days were spent helping my sister find a job. we read many advertisements in newspapers. my sister failed in getting the first job because they said she was too young. then we lost our way and couldn’t find the second company. we had a map but the city is so big, so we had to asked someone for help and finally found the second company. the boss had a talk with my sister and asked her to wait at home for their decision. a month later we went home. my sister couldn’t find a job in shanghai because she was not knowledgeable enough or she didn’t have enough experience. in this holiday we learned that if we want to succeed in life, we have to work hard and get a lot of knowledge.
手工制作字母表的办法alphabet book
&&& punch (钻孔)a few holes along the margins(页边) of 14 pieces of construction paper (or use regular lined paper with holes). tie the paper together with some strings to form a book.put a personalized title and a few cut-out(图案) pictures (a child's photo or an “a” letter, a “b” letter, and a “c” letter) on the cover. write a large letter on each page of the book.go through (通过)the magazines and catalogs(目录) with your younger sisters or brothers, looking for simple pictures of easy words that start with different letters of the alphabet.(字母表) cut out the pictures. to help your sisters or brothers learn the alphabet, say the words out loud and have them try to guess what letter each word starts with. paste(粘贴) the picture on the page with that letter of the alphabet, and label(标注) the picture.&you can also draw pictures on the pages.&this picture book can be a rainy day activity that you finish over a long period of time. you can use the alphabet book to help your younger sisters or brothers learn the alphabet after the book is done.
要想酷 去读书to be cool, stay in school& ★★★ words: 351&&&& time: 6 mins
in canada, most school-aged children attend public schools from grade 1 until grade 12. canadian public schools have different patterns: 5-3-3 (elementary, middle, high), 6-3-3 (elementary, junior high, high) or 8-4 (elementary/ middle, high). grade 6 is usually thought of as the start of middle school. some high schools are called collegiate institutes(学院), which mean the courses offered are usually taken as the prerequisites(先决条件) for universities and colleges. as a matter of fact, there are some larger schools where they have programs from grade 1 or kindergarten(幼儿园)level to grade 8 or even to grade 12. that is to say, if they like, the students can stay in the same school for as long as 8 or 12 years, receiving education from the very beginning until the end of high school. a really long period, isn’t it? however, not so many students grow up that way. they change their schools because their families keep moving.&&& in high schools, there used to be less than 30 students in each class. nowadays, with the population increase in big cities like toronto or vancouver, it’s common to see more than 30 students in one class. students take most of their courses in their classrooms. at the same time, some courses are taken in the specific rooms. for example, music room is for instrument practice, gym room for physical training, drama room for drama performance, and, of course, science lab for scientific experiments. the home teacher is in charge of(负责) the class routines(日常事务), in addition to the course he or she teaches.
cafeteria(自助餐厅) makes up an important part of the students’ school life because they have their lunch there each day. school starts at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 3:00 p.m., with 45 minutes’ lunch break. students either bring lunch to school or buy it from the cafeteria. with a big stage, elegant curtains and theatrical stage lights, the cafeteria also serves as an auditorium where various shows are performed and celebrations are held. sometimes parents and the nearby residents(居民) are welcome to the school events.
丹尼和邻居家的孩子dany and rick jackson
&&& danny was very worried about the way things were going. (丹尼很担心事情的发展走向)his mother came to the school and talked on and on about rick jackson. it seemed that she would never stop talking. “somebody has to stop that boy,” she was shouting. “rick is troubling everybody in the neighborhood. it is bad for danny to be troubled by rick. you should take action to stop that!”&&& mrs green, danny’s teacher, got worried about that.“i’m sorry, madam. i didn’t know that,” she answered. “he’s never said anything about this to me!” mrs green looked at danny and asked, “how long has this been going on?”& danny could only shake his head and look at the floor. he knew if he said a word about this, he would have trouble after school.&&& danny didn’t say anything about the problem because he wanted to do things with the boys in the neighborhood. after all, most of them were nice to him. he would not like to leave the gang (团伙)just because of rick. maybe he should find some new friends. but he felt it hard to make up his mind.
澳大利亚的熊熊山火fires in new south wales
dear kim,&&& it’s very hot and windy in sydney today. in fact, it has been hot and windy for about a week. this is very bad weather because of the danger of bush fires.&&& this year we have a lot of fires around sydney and in new south wales. every night on the news there are stories of more houses being burnt down in the suburbs(郊区) around sydney. this year we can see the smoke and smell the burnt trees and grass from our house. i don’t like the smell.&&& there are over one hundred fires, and there are thousands of firefighters trying to put them out. firefighters(消防队员) from all over australia have come to help. some even come from new zealand. they are all very brave. i can see how high the flames (火焰)are on the television news. the firemen look very hot and tired.&&& my friend michael lives in one of the suburbs that are threatened by the fires, and seventeen houses have been burnt down there. i can’t call him because all the telephone lines have been burned down, too.&&& we feel sorry for the people whose houses have been burnt down. they have lost everything they had. the worst thing to lose is photographs and other things that they can’t replace. you can always buy new furniture or go to live somewhere else, but you can’t get replacements for the photos that were destroyed(毁坏的).
if our house were threatened by fire, the first thing i would put in the car before we left would be the computer, because it has copies of all the things i have written. mom says the most important things to take are the photo albums(相册). dad says the most important things to save are the documents that have to do with the bank and owning the house.&&& we all hope it will rain soon so that the fires will be put out.&&& bye for now. write soon.&&&&&&&&&&&&& 一部手机的其他用途uses of a cell phone★★ words: 191& time: 4 mins
&&& 现在,手机变得越来越时尚了。大家知道彩信手机吗?它有什么功能呢?让我们一起看看日本人是如何使用彩信手机的吧!&&& one afternoon, the 21-year-old tokyo student mary was walking when her cell phone rang. her friend was asking whether she should buy a winter coat she had just found in a downtown store. mary told her friend to do “sha-mail” (“sha” means “to photograph” in japanese). seconds later a picture of the coat appeared in the phone’s lcd screen(液晶显示屏). “looks ok, but the price is very dear,” mary said. so her friend did not buy the coat. “sha-mail is great,” said mary. “it makes everything so easy.”&&& the different uses of “sha-mail” have come to seem limitless(无限的). tokyo housewife sally, 41, shot the timetable at the bus stop on her way to the supermarket so she could look up her return time while she was waiting at the checkout(付款处). she planed to e-mail some pictures to her friends so they could collect what they really like.&&& holiday shoppers in the united states and europe are only now getting cell phones with tiny built-in digital cameras. but the japanese people also take low-resolution(低分辨率) pictures that can be e-mailed to friends. the phone company has sold 7.5 million this kind of phones.
简单介绍我的家my home
&&& i live in a nice house. there are six rooms in my house. there is a garden, too.&&& in my kitchen, there is a table, three chairs, a fridge(冰箱) and a dishwasher(洗碗机). the dishwasher is between the sink(水槽)and the fridge.&&& next to the kitchen is the living room. it is my favorite room. in it are a new sofa and an armchair. there is a lamp on a small table. there is also a tea table in front of the sofa.&&& the dining room is next to the living room. there is a big table and six beautiful chairs. there are nice plates and bowls in the cupboard(碗碟橱).&&& opposite the dining room (餐厅对面)is the bathroom. in it there is a big bathtub(浴缸), a toilet (厕所)and a sink.(洗涤槽)& in the corner of the room is the washing machine.&&& my parents’ room is next to the bathroom. it is a big room. there is a big bed in the middle of the room and two bed-side tables next to the bed.&&& my bedroom is opposite the kitchen. there is a bed, a desk and a bookcase(书柜). there are three posters and a clock on the wall.&
学生宿舍里的生活life in the dormitory
&& &there are two dormitories(宿舍) for our class’s boys. i live in 2110.&& &we seven boys share the dormitory 2110. every morning we get up at 6 o’clock. sometimes one or two boys may wake up a little later. after washing, we go to the playground to do morning exercise.&&& at night, after the self-teaching classes, we go back to the dormitory. some roommates enjoy singing loudly before the lights go out, (有几个室友喜欢在熄灯前唱两嗓子)some enjoy sharing their snacks and drinks with others, some go to bed early, and others read books or listen to the pop music late. we often tell jokes in the dormitory. the room is always full of cheers and laughter.&&& on the evening of oct.18th, the chinese national football team got their place in the world cup. it’s the first time for our chinese team. the chinese people have dreamed of it for 44 years. though the light was out we jumped up and down and shouted: “we are the winner! we are the winner!” at the very moment, “bang! bang! bang!” we heard the noises of knocking at the door and a teacher shouted:“ don’t be so excited. go to sleep now.” so we dared not make any noise. we even smiled in our dreams that night.
&& 我们大家一起来环保how your town recycles ★★ words: 213& time: 4 mins
&&& why do we need to throw less away? there are two reasons. one is that some resources are nonrenewable(不可再生的). that means there is only a certain amount of that resource in the world. one example of this is oil. when we use up all the oil in the world, there will be no more.&&& there is another reason for throwing less away. all of our trash(垃圾) has to be put somewhere. often, it is put into garbage dumps(垃圾场). much of that trash will be there for hundreds of years. the dumps will be filled up with all this trash.&&& there are three ways we can cut down on trash.&&& one way is to recycle. (回收)when you recycle something, it means it is made into another shape and used again. old newspapers may become paper bags. a glass jar can be melted(熔化) and made into a bottle.
&&& another way to cut down on trash is to reuse things. (再利用)you can wash and use again a bottle that can hold mustard(芥末酱) or something else.
&&& the third way to cut down on trash is to reduce the amount of trash you make.(减少制造垃圾的数量) stop buying things that you don’t need in the first place. that reduces the amount of the earth’s resources that you use.
史蒂夫 帕金森steve parkinson&&& steve parkinson from australia is coming to study in britain. mr and mrs field have come to meet him at the airport.mrs f: oh dear, this airport is so puzzling.(使人迷惑) all these signs and notices ─ international departures, (国际航班出港)transfers,(传输) domestic arrivals...(国内航班到达)mr f: international arrivals. look!over there!international arrivals. that’s the one we want. over there and up to the stairs. come on.mrs f: oh, look at all these people. where’s steve? he’s late. the screen says his flight landed 20 minutes ago.mr f: he’s possibly been held up in the customs(海关) or has to wait a long time for his luggage(行李).mrs f: there he is, with all those bags. steve!steve! oh, he can’t see us. there’re so many people. steve! we are over here.steve: hello. hello. there you are. what a crowd! good day, mrs field, mr field.mrs f: hello. did you have a good journey? was it a comfortable flight? did everything go all right?mr f: you must be very tired. anyway, we don’t have to go far. we’ve booked(预定) a room for you in a hotel in the city center for tonight.
steve: oh, fine. thank you.
生活中无处不在的能量energy★★words: 264&& time: 5 mins
&&& you use energy in many different ways. you use it to cook your food. you use it to get to school or work. and you use it to light up a dark place. in fact, you use a lot of energy every day.&&& even though you use energy all the time, you probably don’t think about it much. but without energy, you could not live. energy is all around you.&&& one day, you’re driving down a road. your car is moving along. it’s in motion(移动).&&& the sky starts to get dark. night is coming. you can’t see the road very well, so you turn on the car’s headlights. they light the road.&&& now it starts to snow. you’re getting cold. you turn on the car’s heater. it sends heat into the car. soon you are nice and warm.&&& you’re now using three kinds of energy. what do you think they are?&&& right! motion, light and heat are the three kinds of energy you’re using.&&& all of a sudden, your car stops! your lights go out, and your heater stops working.& you can’t get the car to start up again. you’re cold, you have no light, and you are stuck in the woods. you have an energy problem! what would you do?&&& that’s an example of what could happen when you can’t get motion, light, and heat energy. they are the three kinds of energy you use every day. without them, your life could be very hard. what would your life be like if you didn’t havemotion, light, and heat energy?(动能,光能,热能)
海口酒店服务指南service guide
&&& welcome to haikou hotel. we will make you stay here as enjoyably as possible. we hope we will give you the best service.&&& room service: you can use the service 24 hours a day. phone the information desk, and your message will be passed on to the room waiter.&&& dining room: you can have three meals a day in the dining room. breakfast is served from 8:00 am to 9:30 am. also the room waiter may bring breakfast to your room at any time after 7:00 am. if you need it, please fill in a card and hang it outside your door before 6:00 am. lunch is from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm. dinner is from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.&&& telephones: to make a phone call, dial “0” for information desk to put you through. there are also public telephones near the information desk. tell information desk if early calls are needed.&&& shop: the hotel shop is open from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm.&&& coffee house: you can drink coffee here at the following time:12:00 pm — 2:00 pm&&&& 8:00 pm — l:30 am&&& other services: there is a cinema in the hotel. films begin at 7:00 pm on sundays and wednesdays. hot water is offered 24 hours. there is also a big swimming pool in the hotel. you can enjoy yourself at any time if you like. it is free.&&& we are always ready to help you.
有话大声的说出来speak up!
&&& have you ever been told to do something by your parents that you just do not want to do? or you just feel as if you don’t have a choice? some teenagers say that they cannot talk with their parents, while some say they can. for those of you out there who cannot ever have an opinion in your own home, maybe it is time you started.
the kids of today will be the adults in ten years. our generation should be able to express our feelings in the home. not all teenagers have the guts(勇气) to speak up and say anything. when there is a disagreement in your family, your voice should be so loud that your opinion can be taken into consideration. however, this does not mean that you get anything and everything you want because you yell(喊叫) and scream (尖叫)and become very angry.&&& most parents today seem to think that whatever they say is right. what they do not realize is that teenagers have found many ways to rebel.(叛逆) and parents must know and realize that kids need trust. without trust, some kids will take drastic (激烈的)measures in order to make their parents come to the conclusion that they need enough space to grow up.&&& parental(父母的) guidance is necessary for a healthy environment, but space should also be provided so that experience of oneself is not solely (独自地)the advice of their parents’ past experiences. if you do not think that you can talk with your parents, take the risk and give them more credit. try it.
中国学生的英国之旅to go to england
&&& i’ve got some information for everyone going to britain next month. as you know, you’ll be staying with a family for two weeks.(将在英国普通人的家里住两个星期) now the most important thing is money. you should take about £30 in cash (现款)and about £200 in traveler cheques(支票). then when you arrive at the airport, you’ll be met by our host family. you must remember to wear a red shirt so that the family will find you easily. i’ve told them to look out for the red shirts. you’ll also need to take with you 4 photos of yourself and, of course, it’s very important that you take the school letter. while you are there, if you have any problems, you can call our agent(代理人). i’ll give you her office phone number now: it’s 580-4436 and the person to ask for is mrs. belcher, that’s b-e-l-c-h-e-r. she’s in the office from 9 a.m.to 5 p.m. every day. ok! that’s everything. have a good trip!
学生们穿什么很重要吗?students and their clothes
&“can you believe what john wore to school today?”&“have you seen those new sneakers(运动鞋) mike has on?”&&& these are made every day by teens in our public schools. everyone is more interested in what kind of sneakers mike is wearing and how bad john was dressed than who john and mike really are. mike could be a fool and john could be the most pleasant person in the world. then why should mike have more friends than john? the sad fact is that mike will have more friends. why? because of his clothes?
teens are interested in their clothes, not because they like to dress up, (打扮)but because they feel they have to. why should a young teenager own a $150 pair of sneakers when a $50 pair is just as good? it is not because they like the expensive pair more but because their “friends” like them more. i myself have bought over-priced sneakers just because that’s what everyone wants.&&& if i were coming to school dressed less fashionably than others, i would be made fun of. (我要是上学的时候穿的稍微朴素点,同学们就会取笑我)i’ve seen people (my friends included) make jokes about the clothing some kid is wearing. this is the main reason why, when i wake up in the morning, i dress the best i can. i don’t want to be their next victim(嘲笑者).&&& once i heard two girls talk about their clothes. amy made fun of julie’s red dress. she knew that julie could hear her and be hurt, but she didn’t stop. she still went on until julie was almost ready to cry. when julie got home, she would probably discard(丢弃) her red dress forever.&&& things like this should never happen, but they do. just because the brand(商标) is wrong, the clothing should not be worn? should one person have more friends than another just because of his or her nice clothes? (一个人穿的时髦点,就会拥有更多的朋友?)american teens seem to think so. is a dress code the answer?&&& i have heard my friends say, “i would never go to that private school because of the uniforms.” my friends believe that is a bad point of that school. i disagree. maybe this is one of the good points. maybe there is no discrimination(歧视) against people because of their clothes since everyone is dressed alike. there shouldn’t be a need for a dress code, but if teenagers go on acting like this, there will be.
北美人的娱乐活动parties in america
&&& in the united states and canada, people enjoy entertaining(引起乐趣的) at home. they often invite friends over for a meal, a party, or just for coffee and conversation. here are the kinds of things people say when they invite someone to their homes:&“would you like to come over for dinner on saturday night?”&“hey, we’re having a party on friday. can you come?”&& to reply to an invitation, either say “thank you ” and accept, or say “i’m sorry” and give an excuse: “thanks, i’d love to. what time would you like me to come?” or “oh, sorry. i have tickets for a film.”&&& sometimes, however, people use s that sound like invitations, but they are not real ones. for example:&“please come over for a drink sometime.”&“let’s get together for lunch soon.”&“why don’t you come over and see us sometime soon?”&&& these are really just polite ways of ending a conversation. they are not real invitations because they don’t talk about the specific(特定的) time or date.&&& they just show that the person is trying to be friendly. to reply to s like these, people just say: “sure, that would be great!” or “ok, yes, thanks.”&&& so next time you hear what sounds like an invitation, listen carefully. is it a real invitation or is the person just friendly?(弄清楚这真是一个邀请还是仅仅是友善的表现)
mobile phones in middle schools
&&& mobile phones are more and more popular nowadays. do you think it’s ok for middle school students to use mobile phones?john: i study in a boarding school(寄宿学校) and only go home at weekends. my dad gave me his old mobile phone to keep in touch with me. it’s more convenient(方便的) than the ic phones.maryi agree that it’s not good to use mobile phones in class. but after class why can’t we use them? we are old enough to control ourselves, so teachers and parents should have more trust and confidence in us.tony: i like to send sms(短信) to my friends. it’s cheap and fun. it’s a good way to communicate with my friends when they are not with me.lisa: nowadays, mobile phones have more and more functions(功能). we can use them to take photos, play mp3, listen to the radio, play games and surf the internet.
(上网)so if our parents can afford mobile phones for us, why not use them?andy: in my eyes, the mobile phone is not only a tool for communication, but also a symbol of fashion. if you don’t have a mobile phone, it means you are out of fashion. in other words, it’s cool to have a mobile phone. my friends and i sent many smses to hunan tv’s “super girl” to support our favorite singers. without mobile phones, how could we make it?ted: the mobile phones are like other personal belongings.(所有物)as long as you don’t do harm(伤害) to others, you can choose to have them or not. it’s totally(完全地) a personal affair. no need to worry about it.
laura: it’s said that the radiation(辐射) of mobile phones is not good to people, especially to teenagers. besides, the screen of a mobile phone is usually very small, so it’s bad for our eyes. so i think at our age, we should use mobile phones as little as possible.joseph: some students tend to(倾向于) show off (炫耀)their mobile phones in the class. others who don’t have mobile phones will feel envious(嫉妒的). as middle school students, we should compete with each other in our study, not the luxuries(奢侈品).lily: owning a mobile phone costs a lot of money. we are too young to afford it now. so we’d better use them when we are able to pay for it.teacher: a mobile phone is like the computer and the internet. if we make reasonable use of it, our life will be more colorful and convenient.
小女孩与绑架者a pretty little girl
&&& it was snowing heavily and it got white everywhere. six-year-old becky had to stay in the warm room after supper. her daddy was reading an evening paper and her mummy was doing some cleaning. the little girl was standing by the window and looking out of it. her parents didn’t allow her to go out by herself. she wished one of her friends could call her outside and so she could go out to ski on the slope(斜坡) behind her house. but to her disappointment(失望), nobody called.&& &“oh, dear!” mr. beckman called out suddenly.“what’s up?” asked his wife.&& &“elise, an eight-year-old girl, was kidnapped(绑架) this morning!”&& &“yes?” mrs. beckman asked in surprise. “where did it happen?”&& &“in a town which is twenty kilometers from ours,” said mr. beckman. “she wanted to skate on the river after breakfast and went there alone, and was lost near the bank. the police only found her skates(溜冰鞋) there. it’s said that two young men were wandering(徘徊) there...”&&“that’s too terrible! becky! have you heard it?“sure,” said the girl. “but what does ‘kidnap’ mean?”&“it means she was taken to a dangerous place. she can’t see her parents or friends!” answered mrs. beckman. “what are you going to do if a stranger wants to take you away, dear?”&& &“what’s he going to give me?” asked the girl.&“some oranges.”
一个学生的周末预算学生的每周消费预算
&&& it’s useful to know how much money we usually spend on different things. then, if we also know how much money we will have, we can decide which things we should buy now and which things we can go without or wait for.&&&&this student has only $50 a week to spend. so, he must spend less on some things or not have them at all. if he wants to save on bus fares,(费用) he can walk to class. if he doesn’t buy any candy, he can save $5 a week. or, he can save $3 if he has no soft drinks. he can save on lunches if he brings his own.&& he may be able to save on cds by borrowing them from his friends or buying them second-hand. he doesn’t have to go to the movies or restaurants.&&&different people need or want different things, so their budgets are different. girls may not like computer games. they may want to spend more money on clothes or jewelry.(珠宝)&&& for most of us, a weekly budget(预算) is only a little helpful. we really need to have a monthly budget, or even a yearly one. this is because we have to pay for some things only once a month or once a year. clothes, textbooks, vacations and so on are not weekly expenses.(消费) they are monthly or yearly expenses.
关于颜色的一些问题sandy‘s some questions
&&& sandy did not understand some sentences so she went to her teacher for help.sandy: mr smith, i have difficulty in understanding some sentences. for example, “simon sometimes is yellow”; “millie is blue today”; “peter has green fingers”; “john has told a white lie”. there is a color in each of these sentences. what do they mean?&mr smith: in english, yellow sometimes means cowardice(胆小). blue usually represents sadness. a person with green fingers grows plants well. and a white lie is not a bad lie.sandy: could you give me an example for “a white lie”, please?mr smith: certainly. for example, i want to give you some cakes, but in fact you don't like them. what will you say? &&&&&sandy: “no, thanks. i'm not hungry.”mr smith: that's a white lie. if you say “no, i don't like them”, it is impolite.sandy: oh, i see. thank you very much.
我最好的朋友 书籍books and i are good friends
&&& when i was very young, i could just say “mom, dad”. my mother began to give me some picture books and story books. she let me know how to read those books and told me stories, which were from the story books. pictures and books were so fresh for me! though thin and simple, they were full of funny stories and knowledge. they brought me, a little girl, a colorful world.&&& parents also bought me a lot of toys at that time, but i liked only books. i always asked my parents for books and asked them to explain the contents(内容) to me. i always asked them a lot of questions: “why can the bird fly?”, “why is the sky blue?”, “why are the leaves green?” and so on. my father told me that books were our good friends and they could help us answer questions. so i liked reading books better, and was thirsty for more knowledge, and always regarded books as my best friends.&&& now i am a middle school student. in my free time, i read different books and learn a lot of different, important and interesting knowledge every day.&&& books are the sources of wisdom, the sea of the knowledge, the steps towards improvements for human!&&& books are my loyal friends!
宇航员在太空的生活astronauts
&& 随着“神舟6号”的顺利升空,我国在航空航天技术上又向前迈进了一步。杨利伟、费俊龙、聂海胜都是我国优秀的宇航员,同时也是我们的民族英雄。想知道他们在宇宙飞船起飞前是如何刻苦训练的吗?想知道他们在飞船起飞后又要克服哪些困难吗?请看下文……&&& if you were an astronaut up in space, you would find life very strange. you wouldn’t be able to walk, because in space you can’t keep your feet on the floor. you couldn’t drink, either, because drinks don’t pour in space. and you would have to sleep strapped(扎上安全带) in your bed to stop yourself from floating away.
imagine(设想) you are an astronaut about to set out on a space mission(任务). (想象一下自己是一个身处即将发射的太空船内)before you set out, you have to train hard, rehearsing(演习) the work you will carry out in orbit. you spend a lot of time in simulators(模拟器). they are machines that behave in the same way as your spacecraft does without leaving the ground. you go over and over the details(细节) of your trip with mission control, the centre that controls missions from the ground.&&& when it is time for the launch,(发射) you strap yourself into your seat, facing away from the ground. as the launch rockets fire, you feel yourself flattened(变平) against the seat. your body feels much heavier than usual. this is because of the forces set up as the rocket accelerates(加速). they are called g-forces, the g standing for gravity(重力).&&& once the rockets stop firing and you are circling the earth in orbit,(轨道) your body no longer feels heavy. if you unstrap(解开皮带) yourself, you float gently out of your seat. it seems that your body has no weight at all! we call this special state zero-g, (零重力)or weightlessness.&&& weightlessness affects everything you do in orbit. it’s best not to eat crumbly(脆的) foods, because the crumbs will float away and get into everything. you have to drink liquids through a straw(吸管) because there is no gravity to make them pour.
young people in britain&& &★★ words: 323& time: 5 mins
&&& life used to be fun for “teenagers”. (年轻人过去常常在生活中寻找乐趣。)they used to have money to spend, and free time to while(消磨) away. they used to wear teenage clothes, and meet in teenage coffee bars and discos. some of them still do. but for many young people, life is harder now. jobs are difficult to find. there’s not so much money around. things are more expensive, and it’s hard to find a place to live in. teachers say that students work harder than they used to. they are less interested in politics, and more interested in passing exams. they know that good exam results(结果) may bring them better jobs.&&& most young people worry more about money than their parents did twenty years ago. they try to spend less and save more. they want to be able to get homes of their own one day.&& &for some, the answer to unemployment(失业) is to leave home and look for jobs in one of britain’s big cities. every day hundreds of young people arrive in london from other parts of britain, looking for jobs. some find jobs, and stay. others don’t, and go home again, or join the unemployed(失业者) in london.
when you read the newspapers and watch the news on television, it’s easy to get the idea that british young people are all unemployed, angry and in trouble. but that’s not true. three quarters of them do more or less what their parents did. they do their best at school, find some kinds of jobs in the end, and get married in their early twenties. they get on well with their parents, and enjoy their family life. after all, if they don’t, they won’t be british, will they?
家庭抗灾准备工作home preparedness
&&&& in the event of an earthquake, you may be instructed to shut off the utility services at your home. teach responsible members of your family how to turn off the gas, electricity, and water at valves and main switches. consult your local utilities if you need more information.
&&& you can identify potential dangers in your home by conducting an earthquake hazard hunt. foresight and common sense are all that are needed as you go from room to room and imagine what would happen in an earthquake. some possible hazards are:
&&& 你可以通过在家中进行“地震隐患排查”来寻找地震中可能出现的隐患。你需要做的只是巡视你的房间,设想地震时房中会发生什么,用你的常识来进行预测、找出隐患。一些可能的隐患有:
· tall, heavy furniture that could topple, such as bookcases, china cabinets, or modular wall units.&&& · water heaters that could be pulled away from pipes and rupture.&&& · appliances that could move enough to rupture gas or electrical lines.&&& · hanging plants in heavy pots that could swing free of hooks.&&& · heavy picture frames or mirrors over a bed.&&& · latches on kitchen or other cabinets that will not hold the door closed during shaking.&&& · breakables or heavy objects that are kept on high or open shelves.
· a masonry chimney that could crumble and fall through an unsupported roof.
· flammable liquids, like painting or cleaning products, that would be safer in a garage or outside shed.
在地震中可能会倒塌的又高又重的家具,比如书架、瓷器柜,或是定制的组合柜。应当设法固定在墙壁上&&& ·可能会从管道上脱离并碎裂的热水器。·可能发生移动,扯坏煤气管道或电线的物品。&&& ·悬挂在高处较重的盆载植物,有可能脱钩坠落。 ·挂在床上方较重的像框或镜子,有可能在地震中坠落。&&& ·橱柜或别的柜子剧烈晃动时,柜子的插销可能会松动打开
&·放置在高处开放式储物架上的易碎品或重物可能会坠落摔碎。&&& ·石制烟囱可能压垮无支撑的房顶并崩塌。&&& ·易燃液体,如油漆及清洁剂,应储存于车库或是室外储物室中(而不是室内)。
积极锻炼,远离肥胖get fit, not fat
&they started playing football for a few minutes every night. the minutes turned into an hour or more. in just a few years, the out-of-shape kid turned athletic and fit, and best of all, healthy.&&more tv equals more fat. (看太多电视会引起肥胖)&&the average(平均) american kid watches 2 hours and 56 minutes of television every day—that adds up to 44 days a year of sitting. the equation(方程式) is simple: more tv (or more internet surfing, (上网)or more video games) equals more fat.
getting fit—and staying fit—works. eat an apple. walk around the house. play something with your dad.&&& do it today, and do more tomorrow. it will help you a lot.
美国人眼中的宠物pets in americans’ eyes
&&& americans love pets. in america, there are more families with pets than those with children. (在美国,养宠物的比养孩子的都多)you might say americans treat their pets like they treat their children—sometimes even better. at least 43% of american families have pets. the common pets include mice and birds. but the favorite are cats and dogs. americans sometimes have strong feelings about pets.
living a dog’s life in america isn’t such a bad thing. it is said that americans spend about $1.5 billion on pet food each year. many grocery stores(杂货店) sell pet foods. in the city of houston, texas, dogs can have their dinners sent to their homes, just like pizza. pets can even accompany(陪同) their owners on vacation. furry(毛茸茸的) guests at four seasons hotels can enjoy delicious meals served on fine china and sleep in soft beds. to pay for their health care, people can buy health insurance(保险) for their pets.&&& it’s easy to see why pets are so popular. dogs can offer protection from unwelcome visitors. cats can help people keep the unwanted pests(有害的小动物) away from the house. pets can even make their owners kind and friendly to others. some white-collars(白领人士) feel that they spend all the daytime on the hard work and the night time should be fun and relaxing. the pets could do both. even some parents will buy a pet for their children because most children today are only child in the family.&&& pets are as basic to american culture as hot dogs or apple pie. to americans, pets are not just property(财产), but a part of the family.(在美国人的眼里,宠物不只是所有物,而且还是家庭成员)
长寿的秘密在哪里?the secret of living longer
&&& if you want to live longer, you should try to get into the following habits:&&& 1. don’t drink or smoke too much. drinking or smoking too much is bad for our health. and it can cause many illnesses. so you had better not drink or smoke too much. certainly, you’d better not smoke at all.&&& 2. don’t become too fat. becoming too fat means that a person has many chances to become ill. so we should pay more attention when eating something. never become too fat. if you are too fat, don’t worry. take more exercise and you can become healthy.&&& 3. don’t eat too much food. a research shows that eating too much is also bad for our health. many of the old people, who are over one hundred years old, eat less than the people around them.&&& 4. eat more fruit and vegetables. as you know fruit and vegetables are rich in vitamins(维生素). they are very good for our health.&&& 5. take more exercise. if you want to keep healthy, you should take exercise every day. you can walk, run, play basketball, play football, or play table tennis, etc. and the best way of taking exercise is climbing stairs, hills or lifting something.&&& 6. keep in touch with your family and friends. your family and your friends can share(分享) your happiness and your trouble. they can give you some advice when you do something. and you can talk with them so you can laugh and cry freely. thus you can keep healthy.
7. use your head more. whether a person use his or her head more has something to do with his or her lifespan(寿命). so in order to live longer, you should read more, do more guessing games and so on.
皇家马德里足球俱乐部spanish football club real madrid
&&& when you think of the spanish football club real madrid, probably the first thing that comes into your mind is its signing(签约) of some of the world’s best footballers.&&& this trend(趋势) began shortly after euro 2000 with the world record—60 million euros(欧元) acquisition(获得) of portuguese player luis figo from fc barcelona.&&& after figo in 2001, the two-time fifa world player of the year zinedine zidane joined the club from the italian side juventus. again, it was for a world record fee, about 71 million euros. the following season, the team bought ronaldo, top soccer in the 2002 world cup, for around 39 million euros, from inter milan of italy.&&& in the summer of 2003, they got david beckham, captain of the english national side, from manchester united, for about 36 million euros.&&& and in 2004 real turned to liverpool’s michael owen for 12 million euros.&&& even after spending so much money, real madrid is still a good mone-maker. it earns a lot more than it spends.&&& of course, the club is looking for not only profits(利润), but also success on the pitch(足球场). it was founded in 1902. since the middle of the 20th century, real madrid has been one of the top football clubs in europe. it has won the european cup more times than any other club.&&& in 2001, it ranked as the world’s most successful club of the 20th century by the fifa.
however, in recent years, although it has been armed with a lot of superstars, the club has been in an embarrassing position(另人难堪的处境). its last major title was in 2003.&&& off the field, real madrid is never out of the news, since it has so many superstars—led by ronaldo—who are always in the spotlight.
各国庆祝生日的方法celebrating birthdays
&&& people celebrate (庆祝)birthdays in almost every country on the earth, and celebrate them in many different ways.&&& in china and in japan, for example, the arrival of the new year is more important than a person’s birthday. so everyone adds a year to their ages on new year’s day, instead of on their birthdays.&&& in brazil,(巴西) the special birthday food isn’t a birthday cake, but special candies. in china, it’s long noodles — for a long life. in iceland, people have pancakes with candies rolled inside (煎饼卷糖果)on birthdays.&&& in britain, a birthday is an all-day celebration. at school, the birthday child is lifted up and “bumped(碰撞)” by his classmates. in israel(以色列), the same custom is followed, but the birthday person is lifted and lowered while sitting in a chair.&&& in holland, (荷兰)children not only get presents, but give things out, too. (不仅会收到礼物,而且还会送出礼物)they give cakes, cookies and candies to their classmates and teachers on their birthdays.&&& in mexico, it’s good luck to give birthday greetings as early on the day as possible. so it’s usual for the birthday child to be woken up at midnight by friends singing birthday songs.
in india, birthday celebrations also begin quite early. prayers(祈祷) and blessings(祝福) must be said before morning comes.&&& in thailand,(泰国) two tall candles are lighted at night before a birthday. one is as tall as the birthday person. if it goes out early, it’s bad luck. another custom of& thailand is that they buy living fish and birds for the birthday person and then the birthday person frees them, and it brings good luck.&&& in nigeria(尼日利亚), persons in a certain age group celebrate their birthdays together on a certain day.&&& in many countries, birthday customs are changing. old customs are giving way to western style of birthdays, with candle-topped cakes. but one thing never changes — birthdays are special days for every birthday person!
我的英雄是父亲my father is my hero
&&& 我们常说,父爱如山,因为在他的肩上背负着太多的责任与义务。作为父亲,他会将所有的感情都默默地隐藏在他那伟岸的脊背上,随着岁月的流逝而积淀。
&&& my father is my hero all my life. he was the father of eight children, and he had many problems in life.&&& when i was a child, he looked so big. in my eyes he could do anything. he was a very strong man both physically and mentally, (身心)but he was gentle too. he found ways to be open and kind.
when i was young he would kiss me every night and sing to me as i awoke. he made me feel so special. i knew that my father loved me. it made me feel strong enough to do almost everything.&&& he got sick, but strength(力气) kept him alive. he loved his children so much. he gave up years of his life caring for the woman, his wife. she was going to die. day and night he struggled(努力) for years with her disease. (疾病)despite disease of his own, he still stood by her side caring for her and loving her until the day she died.&&& twenty days later, he died. i lost my hero, my father, a man who was my friend.&&& a few years have passed, and the life has changed a lot. but the love for my father won’t change and it will never end.
做人要厚道don't be selfish
school was over and i was tired. i sat at the front of the school bus.&&& janie, the driver, tried to break the uncomfortable atmosphere(气氛) by making a conversation. i tried to listen politely, but usually i was too busy thinking about my day.&&&& “my father’s ill,” she said to no one in particular. i could see worry in her eyes. i had never seen her like this before. she always met students with a smile.&&& with a sudden change of interest, i asked, “what’s wrong with him?”&&& with her eyes wet and her voice unusual, she answered, “heart trouble. i’ve already lost my mum, so i don’t think i can stand losing him.” i couldn’t answer. my heart ached(疼痛) for her.&&& i sat on the seat thinking of the great pain my mother was thrown into when my father died. i saw how hard it was, and still is, for her. i wouldn’t want anyone to go through that.&&& suddenly i realized janie wasn’t only a bus driver, and that was just her job. she had a whole world of family too.&&& i suddenly felt very selfish(自私的). i paid no attention to janie because she was a bus driver. i had judged(判断) her by her job and brushed her off(丢弃) as unimportant.&&& i shouldn’t have been so selfish and self-centered.&&& understanding people is very important.
在澳大利亚的所见所闻our experience in australia
&&& australia is the largest island in the world. it is a little smaller than china. it is in the south of the earth. australia is big, but its population is small. the population of australia is nearly as large as that of shanghai.&&& enough laws have been made to fight against pollution. (有很多反污染的法律)the cities of australia have got little air or water pollution. the sky is blue and the water is clean. you can clearly see fish swimming in the rivers. plants grow very well.
last month we visited perth, the biggest city in western australia, and went to a wild flowers’ exhibition. there we saw a large number of wild flowers we had never seen before. we had a wonderful time. perth is famous for its beautiful wild flowers. in spring every year perth has the wild flowers’ exhibition. after visiting perth, we spent a day in the countryside. we sat down and had a rest near a path at the foot of a hill. it was quiet, and we enjoyed ourselves. suddenly we heard bells ringing at the top of the hill. what we saw made us pick up all our things and run back to the car as quickly as we could. there were about three hundred sheep coming towards us down the path.&&& australia is famous for its sheep and kangaroos. (袋鼠)after a short drive from any town, you will find yourself in the middle of white sheep. sheep, sheep — there are sheep everywhere.
怎样制定一个好的计划to have a good project
&&& are you interested in projects and want to have a good one? well, that doesn’t come easily. you need to do the following tasks:talk: you and your classmates discuss in detail(详细地) all that you would like to do to realize(实现) your project.write: one of your classmates acts as secretary(秘书). he or she keeps full notes as your group discuss. later he or she will sort(整理) your ideas to make them better.plan: with the secretary’s notes, your group make a list of everything you’ll need and who will get, do or research what.do: each group member gets, does and researches something on the list. your group put together all you have found and try to make the project better-organized.show: you and your classmates show the world the result of your hard work.knowing all the above, you may want to try a project. why not start with this: you can find out more about the history of your city. what did it look like? which famous people lived there?
复读的酸甜苦辣the real deal on repeating a grade
&&& 你或者你的朋友复读过没有?复读的滋味也许太难受了,但对于有的同学来说却是必须的,也是无可厚非的。如果你或者你的朋友有过这样的经历,请不要自卑,晚开的花一样鲜艳。&&& some kids need to repeat(重复) a grade in school. this means if you’re in the third grade, you have to do the third grade again next year instead of moving on to the fourth grade. repeating a grade can be a right thing, though, because you get another chance to complete the work. for instance, a kid might have trouble reading. other kids might have been ill or absent(缺席的) for a long time, so they missed a chance to learn everything they needed to learn.&&& if it’s you who must repeat a grade, you might be thinking, “is everyone really moving on without me?” repeating a grade might make you sad, angry, or both. it can be stressful. (有压力的)you might be upset(沮丧) because you won’t be in class with all of your friends. you might feel embarrassed or ashamed(羞耻的) about repeating a grade. you may think that people are talking about you or making fun of you. these feelings are normal. it can really hurt if someone teases(奚落) you about repeating a grade.&&& try talking with your mom or dad, a teacher, or a school advisor if you’re having these feelings. school can be hard work, but there are strategies you can learn to help it go a little better for you. set a goal for yourself and keep working toward it bit by bit. ask for help if you need it, and you’ll get there!
一些有趣的新闻interesting news
the two-year-old hero ye chengfeng saved most of his family from a deadly gas leak. as his grandfather lay dead, the child woke up his grandmother and saved five other family members from death.&&& more and more british kids use their mobile phones to cheat in exams. they use them to send messages to get the answers. so far this year, 1,013 students were caught cheating with mobile phones. teachers are now teaching themselves so that they can find the cheats. they also ask the students to hand the phones in before exams.&&& a new study shows that girl chimps are faster to use tools than boys! experts found that girl chimps in east africa use sticks to dig in the soil two years earlier than boys do. but they don’t know why. girls watch their moms work, but the boys climb trees. yes, human girls always learn to write and draw first, but boys often run and play balls earlier than girls.&&& in germany, doctors have three ways to help kids who are addicted to the internet. first, learning art — kids learn painting or singing. second, doing sports — kids do swimming or horse riding. the last one is to go into nature — kids plant flowers and grow vegetables. doctors want kids to find other ways to have fun rather than surf the internet.
你会离开家就睡不着homesickness
&&& when you sleep somewhere else — like at summer camp or a friend’s house, you know you’re in for a fun time. but for some kids, being away from home can be scary (害怕)and sad. they want to go and have fun with their friends, but once they’re there, they start to miss their room, their parents, and all those everyday things at home. it’s called being homesick.(想家的) lots of people get homesick, even grown-ups.&&& how will you fall asleep without your night light or the sound of your mom watching tv in the next room? or without your dad to give you a kiss good night? here’s some advice on how you can help yourself feel less homesick:&&& if you’re going away from home, bring your pillow(枕头) or your favorite pajamas(睡衣).(如果你要离开家到外头睡,带上你的枕头或是你最喜欢的睡衣.)or maybe you can bring pictures of the people you’ll be apart(分离) from and look at them any time you want.&&& the more fun you have, the less time you’ll have to feel homesick. try to join in activities wherever you are. you won’t feel lonely if you’re too busy having fun. meantime,(同时) e-mail or write letters to your family and friends.&&& if you’re feeling down, it can help to talk with other campers or your teachers about your feelings.&&& now you can learn to feel less homesick. we really hope you do.&
通灵之术:召唤先人spiritual medium
&&& mrs chen and her mother lived together in america. mrs chen had been there for many years, but her mother had only recently arrived. after just two months, mrs chen’s mother died. mrs chen was very sad. she loved her mother and missed her very much.&&& one day, mrs chen was walking along the street when she saw a notice outside a building. the notice said, “madame rita, spiritual medium. (通灵者)room 454. fourth floor. i can help you contact your departed beloved ones.”&&& mrs chen thought, “i’d like to ask my mother how she is. perhaps i should visit madame rita.” she went into the building and took the elevator (电梯)to the fourth floor. she soon found room 454 and went inside.madame rita asked, “how can i help you?”“i want to speak to my mother. she died last year.” mrs chen said sadly.“what was her name?” madame rita asked again.“mei ling,” mrs chen answered.“i can help you,” madame rita said. “it will cost $200.”“all right,” mrs chen said.&& madame rita closed her eyes. she was silent for several minutes, then she spoke, “mei ling, can you hear me?” she asked.“yes, i can hear you,” a voice came out of somewhere. “your daughter wants to know if you are happy.”“yes, i am very happy,” the voice said.
madame rita opened her eyes. “did you hear what your mother said?” she asked mrs chen.“yes,” mrs chen said.“then that will be two hundred dollars,” madame rita said.“fine,” mrs chen said. “i’ll pay you if you can explain how my ninety-year-old mother learned to speak such good english. she couldn’t speak it when she was alive.”
无聊透顶的学校聚会dull school party
&there would be a school party on friday evening. the girls were talking about what they were going to wear.&& “i’m going to wear a black dress, so everybody will notice me,” said emily.& “how about you, linda?”&& “i’m not sure. maybe jeans, an old shirt, and a hat. people will notice me more than you! ” said linda.&& “but what are the boys going to do in the party?” asked jane. “do you remember the last school party? they just stood there, and we girls had to dance by ourselves! ”&& “i hear that some of the boys learned how to dance this summer. maybe it’ll be better this time,” said mary.&& the party was held on friday evening. groups of students arrived. the music began. the girls stood in a line on one side, and the boys on the other side. mr green, their teacher, tried to get them together, but failed. after a while, tim said, “i don’t want to stand here the whole time. the party is only for two hours. it’ll be over soon.” he started to dance. all the others watched him. then david asked emily if she wanted to dance. then jack and linda. then, all began to dance. soon there were more dancers than watchers.
书籍是我们的好朋友a great friend
&&& as i am now a senior high school student, i have a great many friends, but there is one whom i prize over all the rest. i first made his acquaintance(相识) when i began to go to school. he has been my constant companion ever since.
though he is serious in appearance, he never fails to be interesting. often he is clever, sometimes even gay(充满乐趣的). he is the most knowledgeable friend a person could have. he almost knows& every language of the world, all the events of history, and the words of all the great poets and philosophers. a kindly benefactor(施主), he is admired and enjoyed by everyone who makes his acquaintance.&&& to me, he has been a great teacher as well as a friend. he first taught me the secrets of my own language and then those of others. with these keys he showed us how to unlock all the arts and sciences of man.&&& my friend is endlessly patient. dull though i may be, i can return to him again and again, and he is always ready to teach me. when i am bored, he entertains me. when i am dispirited(情绪低落的), he lifts me up. when i am lonely, he keeps me company. he is a friend not only to me but to millions around the world.&&& shall i tell you his name? his name is “reading”.
临考前一天的晚上the night before the exam&&&&
&&& the clock struck eleven at night. the whole house was quiet. everyone was in bed except me. under the strong light, i looked sadly at a huge pile(堆,摞) of troublesome(令人讨厌的) things before me, which were called“books”.&
i was going to have my exam the next day. “when can i go to bed?” i asked myself. i didn't answer. and i could not. the clock struck twelve. “oh, dear! there are ten more books to read before i can go to bed!” we pupils are the most wretched (可怜的)people in the world. dad does not agree with me on this. he did not have to work so hard when he was a boy. the clock struck one. i was quite hopeless now. i forgot all i had learned. i was too tired to go on. i did the only thing i could do. i prayed(祈祷), “my god, please let me pass the exam tomorrow. i will work hard next time. amen.” my eyes were so heavy that i could hardly open them. a few minutes later, with my head on the desk, i fell asleep.
改变一下思维方式change your way of thinking
&&&&&&&& 当你生活中遇到难题时,不妨变换一下自己的思维方式。或许,你会找到一个更好的解决问题的方法。
&&&&&&long long ago, people didn't wear shoes. they used to walk barefooted.(光脚)there was a king who went to travel far into the countryside. he felt very uncomfortable and angry because there were many stones on the road and they made his feet hurt a lot.&&&&&&&& as soon as he returned to his palace, he issued an order that all the roads should be covered with cattle hide(牛皮). he thought it was good not only for himself but also for the other people and hoped walking would no longer be a painful thing. but even if all cattle in the kingdom were killed there wouldn't be enough hide to get the work done. (但就是把王国境内所有的牛都杀了也不够用)of course it was a stupid idea. people could do nothing but shake their heads and sigh(叹气) as that was an order. a servant (仆人)in the palace said, “your majesty, why not take an easier way? you don't have to have so many oxen killed, nor so much money wasted. what you have to do is simply to cover each of your feet with a piece of hide.” surprised and pleased, the king immediately changed his mind and asked people to do as the clever servant said.
it is said to be the origin(起源) of making shoes. though it sounds funny and strange, it makes us think. it is much easier to change oneself than to change the world. so it will be much better for one to change himself before he makes an attempt to change the outer world. when you change your way of thinking, maybe you'll find it easier to solve a problem.
国产鲜花 走俏市场homemade flowers in shanghai
&随着生活水平的提高,鲜花不断点缀着我们的生活,那么多的鲜花从何而来?瞧!国产鲜花已经占领上海市场。
flower market is a hot topic in shanghai this year, and it is filled with homemade(国产的) flowers instead of imported (进口的)flowers. in the past, most of flowers were from foreign countries, so the prices were high and few people bought them. but now, things changed, and we can make them by ourselves.&&& it is learned that the homemade flowers, mainly from yunnan, shandong, taiwan and hong kong, have taken up 80 percent of the market, with the quality improved greatly and the prices much lower than the flowers from overseas. (海外)&&& lanling flower market, the largest one in shanghai, provides about 500 different kinds of flowers and up to 300,000 pieces a day.&&& the salesman said the prices are often stable,(稳定) but they will rise certainly during some festivals, such as the spring festival (春节)and valentine's day.(情人节)&&& dear friends, if your parents, friends, schoolmates or teachers are ill and you want to see them, you can take some flowers to them. the flowers will make the patients feel comfortable and happy, and perhaps they will be well sooner. do you think so?
在自助餐厅吃饭eating in a cafeteria
自助餐厅在美国学生中非常流行,那里的服务快捷,价格便宜。
as america becomes home to so many different nationalities, one can find almost any kind of restaurant in all the large cities. the restaurants can be very cheap or very expensive. but fast food shops have become very popular in the usa, because they can offer quick service and the foods are cheap.
cafeterias(are especially popular with american students. there you can get many different kinds of food such as fried fish, barbecued chicken, spaghetti, salad, vegetables, sweet potatoes and rice. there are also desserts and drinks. you can pick up whatever you like.&&& tips are generally not required at cafeterias where you serve yourself and you are expected to clear your own table of dishes, spoons and forks, and put your trash(垃圾) in the garbage cans.&&& in most cafeterias, you should stand in line. as you walk along, you select foods at a counter(柜台). at normal mealtimes, cafeterias are crowded with people. but you can usually get a seat without waiting too long if you eat a little early or a little late.&&& dining at students'cafeteria, students are required to follow some rules. for example, no food, glass or other dining tools can be removed from the dining hall. students should be polite to fellow students and the workers in the cafeteria. no student if barefooted will be permitted to enter the cafeteria.
令人颇感意外的误会a misunderstanding
&&one day, a woman got into her car and started driving home after work. suddenly, she noticed a yellow car behind her. the driver was a man. when she turned left, the yellow car turned left. when she turned right, the yellow car turned right. when she stopped at the traffic lights, the yellow car stopped behind her.&& she was afraid, so she drove quickly to the police station. she was very surprised when she saw the car stop behind her. at that time, i was standing outside the police station. the woman was very happy to see me. she knew that i was a policeman because i was wearing a police uniform. she jumped out of her car quickly and ran to me. she asked me to arrest(逮捕) the man inside the yellow car, so i walked towards the man.&& the man didn't try to run away when he saw me. he just smiled and said to the woman, “i want to give this purse back to you, madam. i think you dropped it on the street.”
郑州五中的发泄墙students'true voice expressed on paper wall
在紧张的学习生活中,大家是如何缓解压力的呢?郑州五中开辟的“发泄墙”就为该校的学生释放压力提供了一个有趣的平台。
in the modern world, it seems impossible to live without stress. as for the chinese teenagers, because of their heavy burden of study, poor communication with their peers(同龄人) and parents and other worries, they also suffer a lot from stress. to deal with the problem, a middle school in zhengzhou came up with an idea.&&&&& recently, zhengzhou no. 5 high school set up a 25-meter-long wall in the campus. different from other walls, this one is made of paper. the students are allowed to write down what they want on it. the school hopes this paper wall can help the students release(释放) their stress in some way.&&&&& the wall turned out to be a great success. the students like it very much. “we can write down how we feel}

我要回帖

更多关于 雪城大学newhouse 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信