你可能喜欢福州海峡职业技术学院授课进度计划表_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
评价文档:
福州海峡职业技术学院授课进度计划表
福​州​海​峡​职​业​技​术​学​院​授​课​进​度​计​划​表
阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用
想免费下载本文?
你可能喜欢et a financial support to complete your higher education? How do you prepare for getting a good and safe job? What is your purpose to come to college? What kind of people we want to be? These questions may make you feel puzzled and depressed. You may stop pursuing your passion and may not think of college as a place to experience the joy of discovery, but become realistic: you may go to college not for the purpose of receiving education, but as a means to get a good job.Go to Text B… Unit 8 CollegeBefore ReadingOutlineText ReadingAfter Reading . Before Reading1. Oral Practice2. Listening Practice: Dictation 1. Oral Practice1. Do you think you can develop your hobbies in college? Why or why not? 2. What pressures do you have at college? 3. What is your purpose of going to college?4. Do you think you can choose a job in the future which is what you want to do? Why or why not?5. Do you think your parents have given some pressure on you? Why or why not? 6. Do you think you are less passionate at college than you were at high school? 2. Listening PracticeListen to the following short passage and fill in the blanks with the missing words.Thank you for your interest in our college. We’re excited that you’re thinking about your education, and we’re happy to tell you that our college can ____________________________________ in help get you exactly where you want to be your career. Whether you are getting out of high school or returning to school, our programs give you the important training you need. We offer __________________________ that equips you with realvaluable, hands-on instruction world skills and lets you ____________________________ . step into the career you want We think good teaching lies in the ________________________ willingness to care for what ______________________, which is why we do everything we can happens to our students to help you succeed. ______________________________ in some of In addition to providing training the most in-demand careers, we offer day and evening classes,1/2 2. Listening PracticeListen to the following short passage and fill in the blanks with the missing words.financial aid to those ___________ , graduate placement assistance, who qualify and so much more. At our college, we don’t just prepare you to graduate, we prepare you _____________________and do the things you love. By readying to pursue your dreams you for the future, we’re giving you ____________________________ the independence to become _________ ,the encouragement to better yourself, and the opportunity someone to _________________ that you can ___________________________ . accomplish just about anything prove to yourself2/2 Text Reading1. Global Reading a. First Readingb. Second Reading2. Detailed Study of Text A3. Summary of Text A 1.Global Reading?First ReadingChoose the best answers according to the text. 1. When she found her students looked a bit shell-shocked, the author thought they were probably worried about ______. A. their tuition fees B. the result of an examination C. an upcoming interview D. the time to finish their work 2. From her conversations with students, the author learns that they feel sad about the fact that________ . A. they have had no opportunity to get a job with good starting salary B. they have not worked hard enough to acquire knowledge C. they have had no time at college to pursue their passion D. they have not acquired enough skills for their career1/3 1.Global Reading?First ReadingChoose the best answers according to the text.3. The author finds that, to many students, the university is_____ . A. a place where they can pursue their passion B. where they can get a means to get a good job C. a place where they can experience the joy of discovery D. where they can receive an education4. One reason why the passion has disappeared is that________ . A. many kids at the college level try to discover who they are B. students are too busy with their school work C. students are often dissatisfied with their campus life D. many students try to do what their parents want them to do2/3 1.Global Reading?First ReadingChoose the best answers according to the text.5. What makes the author feel relieved is that________ . A. passionate pursuits have not disappeared completely B. most students spend summers feeding their passion for social justice C. most of her students have worked as journalists D. her students have still kept in touch with her by e-mail3/3 1.Global Reading?Second ReadingOutlineParas. 1-4 Where the passion went: students of a springquarter class.Why dreams die: a. when young, students have their dreams. b. going to college as a means to get a safe, wellpaid job. c. negative effects of competitive parenting. d. the pressure to succeed to be felt in small children. e. college students feel desperate. The passion has not disappeared completely.Paras. 5-13Paras. 14-16 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits1.I sometimes wonder where the passion went. I remember a springquarter class I was teaching a few years back, when a bunch of college seniors straggled in late, looking a bit shell-shocked. I assumed they were stressed about an upcoming deadline. 2. Hardly, one said. Turns out she and several of the others had just had an “exit” interview with their financial-aid counselor and found exactly how much a month their four years of student loans were goingto cost. 3. I wanted to defuse the gloom. So I tried playing Mom. “C?mon,” I said. “Don?t obsess about the money. I?m only going to tell you what your own parents would: Never sell out your passion for a paycheck.”1/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits1.I sometimes wonder where the passion went. I remember a springquarter class I was teaching a few years back, when a bunch of shell-shocked: feeling tired, confused, or college seniors straggled in late, looking a bit shell-shocked. I anxious because of a recent difficult experience assumed they were stressed about an upcoming deadline. 2. Hardly, one said. Turns out in panic,several of the others had e.g. The other night I woke she and shell-shocked just had an “exit” interview with their financial-aid counselor and from the Gulf War. found exactly how much a month their four years of student loans were goingto cost. In shell-shocked silence she sat, huddled in her 3. I wanted toas they drove away from the hospital. “C?mon,” seat defuse the gloom. So I tried playing Mom. I said. “Don?t obsess about the money. I?m only going to tell you what close your own parents would: Never sell out your passion for a paycheck.”1/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits1.I sometimes wonder where the passion went. I remember a springquarter class I was teaching a few years back, when a bunch of college seniors Hardly, one said. looking a bit shell-shocked. I straggled in late, assumed they were stressed about an upcoming deadline. Paraphrase: 2. Hardly, one said. Turns out she and several of the others had One student said that my assumption was not just had an “exit” interview with their financial-aid counselor and true. found exactly how much a month their four years of student loans were goingto cost. 3. I wanted to defuse the gloom. So I tried playing Mom. “C?mon,” I said. “Don?t obsess about the money. I?m only going to tell you what close your own parents would: Never sell out your passion for a paycheck.”1/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits1.I sometimes wonder where the passion went. I remember a springquarter class I was teaching a few years back, when a bunch of defuse: to make a difficult or dangerous situation college seniors straggled in late, looking a bit shell-shocked. I calmer by reducing or removing its cause assumed they were stressed about an upcoming deadline. 2. e.g. The two groups will meet next week to try to others had Hardly, one said. Turns out she and several of the just had an “exit” interview with their financial-aid counselor and defuse the crisis/situation/tension. found exactly how much a month their four years of student loans were goingto cost. Beth’s quiet voice helped to defuse the situation. 3. I wanted to defuse the gloom. So I tried playing Mom. “C?mon,” I said. “Don?t obsess about the money. I?m only going to tell you what close your own parents would: Never sell out your passion for a paycheck.”1/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits1.I sometimes wonder where the passion went. I remember a springquarter class I was teaching a few years back, when a bunch of obsess: to preoccupy or fill the mind of someone college seniors straggled in late, looking a bit shell-shocked. I continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent assumed they were stressed about an upcoming deadline. 2. Hardly, one said. Turns out she and several of the others had e.g. The depressed man was obsessed with just had an thoughts of suicide. their financial-aid counselor and “exit” interview with found exactly how much a month their four years of student loans were goingto cost. Don’t be obsessing about the wrong things other 3. I wanted to defuse the gloom.you. tried playing Mom. “C?mon,” people have done on So I I said. “Don?t obsess about the money. I?m only going to tell you what close your own parents would: Never sell out your passion for a paycheck.”1/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits1.I sometimes wonder where the passion went. I remember a springquarter class I was teaching a few years back, when a bunch of sell out: to be in late, looking a to shell-shocked. I college seniors straggled disloyal or unfaithfulbit one?s principles stressed about an upcoming deadline. assumed they were or friends, especially for money 2. Hardly, one said.be a good playwright, but he soldothers had e.g. He used to Turns out she and several of the just had an out and now just with their money. “exit” interview writes for financial-aid counselor and found exactly how much a month their four years of student loans were goingto cost. The spy was charged with selling out to the 3. I wanted to defuse the gloom. So I tried playing Mom. “C?mon,” enemy. I said. “Don?t obsess about the money. I?m only going to tell you what close your own parents would: Never sell out your passion for a paycheck.”1/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits4. Dead silence. Then finally, hoots of laughter as one guy in theback of the room - baseball cap on backwards, tattooed ankle resting on the desk - burst out, “My parents would never say that.” 5. Ever since, I?ve wondered why dreams die. I remember my oldest child?s “graduation” from kindergarten. She and her classmates, sporting construction-paper mortarboards and armed with an unsinkable sense of possibility and wonder, stood on tiptoe behind a microphone and told their adoring parents, videocams rolling, what they wanted to be when they grew up. There were ballerinas and ballplayers. Artists and writers. Firemen. Rock stars. Zookeepers.2/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits6.But what experience tells me is that, after four years of college, most of those kids will be doing none of the above. If history holds, they?ll head for a cubicle, doing something safe, risk free, but with a good starting salary. 7. Over the years, I?ve had conversations with students who tell me they not only have no time to pursue their passion-be it music or art or dance - but have never actually had the time to discover one. They mourn that fact. So do I. 8. What saddens me is that many students come to college to get a job, rather than an education. For them, the university is not so much a place where they experience the joy of discovery, but simply a means to yet one more end. To be sure, 3/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits6.But what experience tells me is that, after four years of college, most of those kids who be doing none ofonly above. Iftime to holds, … will tell me they not the have no history they?ll head for a cubicle, doing something safe, risk or artbut with a pursue their passion ― be it music free, or good starting salary. ― but have never actually had the time dance to discover one. 7. Over the years, I’ve had conversations with students who tell Paraphrase: me they not only have no time to pursue their passion-be it who dance - but have never actually what they music or art ortell me that they have no time to do had the time to like to They mourn that fact. music, discover one.do most, whether it isSo do I. or art, or dance, and in fact me have many had time to discover a 8. What saddenstheyis that never students come to college to get a thing that they like to do most. job, rather than an education. For them, the university is not so close much a place where they experience the joy of discovery, but simply a means to yet one more end. To be sure, 3/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits6.But what experience tells me is that, after four years of college, most of those kids will be the university is not so much a place For them, doing none of the above. If history holds, they?ll head forwhere theydoing something joy ofrisk free, but with a a cubicle, experience the safe, discovery, but good starting salary. a means to yet one more end. simply 7. Over the years, I’ve had conversations with students who tell Paraphrase: me they not only haveuniversity,to pursue extent,passion-be it For them, the no time to a large their is not a musicplace where they - but havethe happiness ofhad the time to or art or dance experience neve discover one. They mournis only a method to realize another going to university that fact. So do I. goal. 8. What saddens me is that many students come to college to get a job, rather than an education. For them, the university is not so close much a place where they experience the joy of discovery, but simply a means to yet one more end. To be sure, 3/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuitsthese are good kids: reliable, responsible, hard-working, and eager to please. Still, they are always worried about what comes next, and the grades it takes to get there. Rarely do they ever get too close to the edge, staying instead on their safe and proscribed five-year path. 9. When I teach my intro journalism students the fundamentals of interviewing, I often use myself as guinea pig to give them hands-on practice. Inevitably one asks what seems to be the most sensible question: Where do you see yourself in five years? I usually shrug and answer that I just don?t think in those terms. My students are usually a bit flummoxed.They think I?m quaint - in a nice little ?60s kind of way.4/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuitsthese are good kids: reliable, responsible, hard-working, and eager to please. Still, they are they are always worried about what Still, always worried about what comes next, and the grades it takes to get there. Rarely do theytakesget get there.to comes next, and the grades it ever to too close the edge, staying instead on their safe and proscribed five-year path. Paraphrase: 9. When I teach my intro journalism students the fundamentals of However, they are always worried about their interviewing, I often use myself as guinea pig to give them hands-on future and the grades they need to obtain to ensure practice. Inevitably one asks what seems to be the most sensible their future. question: Where do you see yourself in five years? I usually shrug and answer that I just don?t think in those terms. My students are usually a bit flummoxed.They think I?m quaint - in a nice little ?60s close kind of way.4/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuitsthese are good kids: reliable, responsible, hard-working, and eager to please. Still, they are always worried about what comes next, and close to the edge the grades it takes to get there. Rarely do they ever get too close to the edge, staying instead on their safe and proscribed five-year path. so unhappy or confused students the close 9. When I teach my intro journalism that you are fundamentals of to doing something silly or becoming mentally ill interviewing, I often use myself as guinea pig to give them hands-on practice. Inevitably one asks what seems to be the most sensible question: Where do you see yourself in five years? I usually shrug and answer that I just don?t think in those terms. My students are usually a bit flummoxed.They think I?m quaint - in a nice little ?60s close kind of way.4/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuitsthese are good kids: reliable, responsible, hard-working, and eager to please. Still, they are always worried about what comes next, and a guinea there. Rarely do they ever get too close to the grades it takes to get pig the edge, staying instead on their safe and proscribed five-year path. 9. When IA guinea pig is someone who is used infundamentals of teach my intro journalism students the a scientific test to see how successful or safe a new interviewing, I often use myself as guinea pig to give them hands-on product,system, etc. is. Here it means the author practice. Inevitably one asks what seems to be the most sensible plays the role of an interviewee in the interview. question: Where do you see yourself in five years? I usually shrug and answer that I just don?t think in those terms. My students are usually a bit flummoxed.They think I?m quaint - in a nice little ?60s close kind of way.4/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits10.I suspect the past quarter century of competitive parenting is starting to take its toll. These are kids raised on books like How To RaiseYour Child To Be A Winner or Kids Who Succeed. They were nurtured, loved, and, well, micromanaged by adoring parents who made sure they always gave their kids an edge - from preschool to play dates to piano teachers. By the ninth grade, many of them were starting to work seriously on their resumes, in hopes of gaining admission to increasingly competitive - and expensive - universities. 11. Apparently, this pressure to succeed has trickled down. My daughter told me she recently spotted this very stressed-out little girl, wearing grade-school plaid, at a local coffee house, 5/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits10.I suspect the past quarter century of competitive parenting is starting to take take its/their/aare kidscauses suffering, deaths its toll. These toll: to raised on books like How T have an adverse effect, especially RaiseYour Child To Be A Winner or Kids Who Succeed. They were so as well, micromanaged by adoring parents who nurtured, loved, and,to cause damage, suffering, or death made sure they always gave their kids an edge - from preschool to e.g. to piano teachers. had taken their toll on his them were play datesYears of hardship By the ninth grade, many ofhealth. starting to work seriously on their resumes, in hopes of gaining The increasingly competitive - and expensive admission to neglect of environmental protection has taken - universities. toll on the global climate. its 11. Apparently, this pressure to succeed has trickled down. My close daughter told me she recently spotted this very stressed-out little girl, wearing grade-school plaid, at a local coffee house, 5/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits10.I suspect the someone an/the edge: to give someone an is give past quarter century of competitive parenting starting to take its toll. These are kids raised on books like How To advantage that makes them be more successful RaiseYour Childthan Be A Winner or Kids Who Succeed. They were To other people nurtured, loved, and, well, micromanaged by adoring parents who e.g. Training can give you the edge over your competitors. made sure they always gave their kids an edge - from preschool to play dates to piano teachers. By the ninth grade, many of them were She says the summer camp gave her an edge in gaining starting to work seriously on their resumes, in hopes of gaining admission to the university. admission to increasingly competitive - and expensive - universities. They said that the position really gave them down. 11. Apparently, this pressure to succeed has trickledan edge My when applying for full-time this daughter told me she recently spotted jobs. very stressed-outclose little girl, wearing grade-school plaid, at a local coffee house, 5/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits10.I suspect the past quarter century of competitive parenting is starting to take its toll. These timekids raised on books like How To play date: a are that is arranged for children to RaiseYour Child To Betogether to play meet A Winner or Kids Who Succeed. They were nurtured, loved, and, well, micromanaged by adoring parents who made sure they always gave their kids an edge - from preschool to e.g. He even regards their time together as a play dates to piano teachers. By the ninth grade, many of them were play date. starting to work seriously on their resumes, in hopes of gaining admission to increasingly competitive - and expensive - universities. 11. Apparently, this pressure to succeed has trickled down. My close daughter told me she recently spotted this very stressed-out little girl, wearing grade-school plaid, at a local coffee house, 5/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuitsdrinking a latte as she anxiously went over problems in a Princeton Review workbook with her tutor. She said she was cramming for a private high school entrance exam. What baffles me is that few people think even her caffeine fix was weird. 12. I once interviewed David Elkind, Tufts University child development guru and author of The Hurried Child, for a piece I was writing on overbooked kids. He told me that he is often dismayed by what he sees on campus: “I see too many kids at the college level who are sort of desperate because they always tried to do what their parents wanted them to do, and now they feel really inauthentic. They get very torn -they?re thinking,?What am I really? I?ve always done what my parents wanted, and I never discovered who I really am.?” 6/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuitsdrinking a latte as she anxiously went over problems in a Princeton cram: with her yourself said she was cramming Review workbookto preparetutor. She for an examination by for a learning a lot of information quickly private high school entrance exam. What baffles me is that few people think e.g. She’scaffeine fix was her history exam. even her cramming for weird. 12. I Unlikeinterviewed David Elkind, Tufts high school, child once many of the tests you’ve taken in University you development guru and author of The Hurried Child, for a measure can’t cram for the SAT and ACT because they piece I was writing on overbookedlearned over the course of many years. what you’ve kids. He told me that he is often dismayed by what he sees on campus: “I see too many kids at the college level who are sort Staying up allbecause they alwaystest will not only make of desperate night to cram for a tried to do what their you tired but do, hurt your chances of doing well. parents wanted them to also and now they feel really inauthentic. They close get very torn -they?re thinking,?What am I really? I?ve always done what my parents wanted, and I never discovered who I really am.?” 6/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuitsdrinking a latte as she anxiously went over problems in a Princeton Review workbook with her tutor. She said she was cramming for a baffle: to cause someone to be completely private high school entrance exam. What baffles me is that few people unable to understand or explain something think even her caffeine fix was weird. 12. I e.g. She was completely baffled byTufts University child once interviewed David Elkind, his strange development guru and author of The Hurried Child, for a piece I was behavior. writing on overbooked kids. He told me that he is often dismayed by what he sees on campus: “I baffled many kids at the college level who The question see too me completely. are sort of desperate because they always tried to do what their parents wanted them to do, and now they feel really inauthentic. They close get very torn -they?re thinking,?What am I really? I?ve always done what my parents wanted, and I never discovered who I really am.?” 6/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuitsdrinking a latte as she anxiously went over problems in a Princeton Review workbook with herstrangeShe said she was cramming for a weird: very tutor. and unusual, unexpected private high school entrance exam. What baffles me is that few people or not natural think even her caffeine fix was weird. 12. I e.g. That’s weird ― I thought I’d left myUniversity child once interviewed David Elkind, Tufts keys on and author of The Hurried Child, development guruthe table but they’re not there. for a piece I was writing on overbooked kids. He told me that he is often dismayed by It’s a weird see too many kids at the college level who what he sees on campus: “Ifeeling to go back to a place that you lived in they time ago. are sort of desperate because a longalways tried to do what their parents wanted them to do, and now they feel really inauthentic. They close get very torn -they?re thinking,?What am I really? I?ve always done what my parents wanted, and I never discovered who I really am.?” 6/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuitsdrinking a latte as she anxiously went over problems in a Princeton Review workbooktorn: herunableShedecide what tocramming for a be with be tutor. to said she was do because private high school have different feelingsbaffles me isthings people you entrance exam. What or different that few think even her caffeine fix was weird. that you want 12. I once interviewed David Elkind, Tufts University child e.g. She was torn between her love of dancing development guru and author of The Hurried Child, for a piece I was and her fear of performing in public. writing on overbooked kids. He told me that he is often dismayed by what he sees on campus: “I see too many kids at the college level who He was torn for two ways. are sort of desperate because they always tried to do what their parents wanted them to do, and now they feel really inauthentic. They close get very torn -they?re thinking,?What am I really? I?ve always done what my parents wanted, and I never discovered who I really am.?” 6/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits13. Maybe that?s what happened to the passion. 14. The good news is that it hasn?t disappeared completely: At ourschool, a small but growing cadre of students spend summers, breaks, and the year after graduation feeding their passion for social justice by working with the poor anywhere from Appalachia to India. Just this week, I received e-mails from former students who haven?t given up their dreams of becoming journalists. One has subsidized an increasingly competitive slate of internships by waiting tables, and has just applied for another internship at Mother Jones. The other has endured summer heat in California?s Central Valley to intern at a small daily there. She says she loves it.7/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits13. Maybe that?s what happened to the passion. 14. The good news is thatpay part of the cost of completely: At our subsidize: to it hasn?t disappeared somethingschool, a small but growing cadre of students spend summers, breaks, and the year $50 would help subsidize the passion for social justice e.g. after graduation feeding their training of an by working with the poor teenager. from Appalachia to India. Just unemployed anywhere this week, I received e-mails from former students who haven?t given up their dreams of becoming journalists. Onetheir subsidized Many companies subsidize meals for has an increasingly competitive slate of internships by waiting tables, workers. and has just applied for another internship at Mother Jones. The other has endured summer heat in California?s Central Valley to intern at a close small daily there. She says she loves it.7/8 2.Detailed Study of Text A?Detailed Study of Text AText A College: Time for Passionate Pursuits15. And that kid from the back of the room? Right after graduation,he took off for a big city in Southern California, working for a caterer until he could talk his way into a staff position at a local paper, where he is now a sports columnist. When last we spoke, he told me that he had used his column to propose marriage to his girlfriend. 16. She said yes.8/8 3. Summary of Text A?Summary of Text AAs a college teacher, the author finds that there is lack of passion in college students because of various pressures on them. The first pressure is the financial pressure from student loans. Secondly, the pressure from the desire of getting a safe, well-paid job after graduation makes children’s dreams die. It is a sad fact that many students come to college to get a job rather than an education. Finally, the pressure from competitive parenting makes children lose themselves, never discovering who they really are. Fortunately, the passion has not disappeared completely since an increasing number of students spend time feeding their passion for social justice by working with the poor in many different places. After Reading1. Exercise 6 2. Exercise 8 3.Translation 4. Writing 1. Exercise 6Fill in the blanks with the words given.Change the form where necessary. deadline defuse obsess sensible adoring mourn edge bafflefundamentals hands-onstressed-out nurture1. In today?s world, the most _________ advice one can offer any sensible young person is “invest in yourself”. If you think about it, this is the only real safe investment. 2. Jane returned to her hotel that afternoon completely_______ by the baffled reaction of the participants and she wondered why things had suddenly gone wrong after such a promising beginning. 3. The Bruce Museum Education Internship program is designed for university or college students seeking to gain_________experience hands-on in a museum setting. 4. Stress is an internal reaction although external factors like work pressure can cause it. One can also feel ____________when one is stressed-out pushed or overwhelmed. 1/3 1. Exercise 6Fill in the blanks with the words given.Change the form where necessary. deadline defuse obsess sensible adoring mourn edge bafflefundamentals hands-onstressed-out nurture5. The best students do not usually________ about scores. Rather, they obsess keep their focus on learning the concepts, trusting that if they do so they will be ready when exams are in front of them. 6. Supported by his _______mother and by his sister Marie, he declared adoring his intention to be a painter, and his father agreed to support him in Paris. 7. Our course is designed to help young people to appreciate and understand the______________of science and its impact on society. fundamentals 8. Rice said a three-person team sent by the United Nations to the region should get a chance to try to________the crisis. defuse 2/3 1. Exercise 6Fill in the blanks with the words given.Change the form where necessary.deadline defuse obsess adoring mourn edgefundamentals hands-onsensiblestressed-out nurturebaffle9. Although we make it clear that admission to our summer program does not ensure acceptance to Harvard College, some students do come with hopes that a summer on campus will give them a(n) edge _____in their application to Harvard. 10. For many years I mournedthe fact that I had given up my beloved _______ Dublin―a graceful city by the sea―for an industrial, midlands city. 11. Our school is to provide a range of opportunities in a stimulating environment which__________ a love of learning in students and nurtures develops active, independent learners and problem solvers. 12. The________ for submitting applications for College of Education deadline departmental scholarships for academic year
ended at midnight February 1st,
2. Exercise 8Choose a right word to complete each of the following sentences. Change the form where necessary. 1. You can use the catalogue to reserve books which are on_______ loan (debt/loan) to other readers and books which are on order or on the new books display. 2. Convinced that he had an endless supply of money, he spent thousands and ran up huge_________ (debt/loan). debts 3. Most computer users have never received any formal keyboard Consequently training.______________(Subsequently/Consequently), their keyboard skills are inefficient. 4. Learners who are aware of a grammatical structure are more likely to notice it when they___________ (subsequently/consequently) subsequently encounter it.1/2 2. Exercise 8Choose a right word to complete each of the following sentences. Change the form where necessary. 5. Afterwards, she went straight to the ladies? room and __________ burst into (burst out/burst into)tears. 6. Charles didn?t respond and after a frozen pause, she collapsed into a chair and_____________(burst out /burst into) crying. burst out 7. Hundreds of animal farmers across the San Joaquin Valley will have to change how they do business if officials ____________ adopt (adopt/adapt) a new air-pollution regulation next week. 8. Her children were in Germany and she felt she was too old to follow along and________ (adopt /adapt) to a new culture. adapt2/2 3.TranslationTranslate the following into Chinese. 1. The greater number of scientists today work for government sponsored bodies, in their case, the responsibility lies mainly with the authorit they are not entirely free agents, short of resigning from their post. 今天,大部分科学家在为政府资助的机构工作,或在工业部门 工作;在这种情况下,社会责任主要应该由雇用他们的领导部 门来负,因为科学家们除了从自己的岗位上辞职,没有选择研 究课题的自由。 2. The University’s defence was that the results of research have been of benefit to the community as a whole through increased productivity and lower food prices, and that in any case the social consequences of its research were the responsibility of the whole community rather than of the University. 该大学的辩护原则是:他们的研究结果对社会整体来讲是有益 的,它提高了生产率,降低了食品的价格;不管怎样,其研究 的社会后果是整个社会的责任,而不应是该大学的责任。 1/6 3.TranslationTranslate the following into Chinese. 3. Many jobs with the best firms will never reach agencies and will never be advertised ―they will already have been filled by candidates who have targeted the organizations or who have networked their way in. 很多顶级公司的职位永远不会委托给中介,也不会登广告招 聘――因为这些职位早已让那些有的放矢找单位的申请者或有 关系网的申请者填补了。 4. If you think that the best way for you to find a job is to post resumes on the Internet, use job sites or browse advertisements in trade publications, then think again ― these are among the last methods that recruiters use. 如果你认为自己找工作最好的方式是在网上投简历,利用招聘 网站或浏览行业出版物上的广告,那么再仔细考虑一下――这 些是招聘者最不常用的方法。2/6 3.TranslationTranslate the following into Chinese. 5. Targeting involves researching companies in particular industries and applying for jobs directly, either applying for jobs advertised on the company’s web site or applying speculatively for jobs that may not yet be advertised. 有的放矢地找单位包括对某些特定行业内公司的研究并直接申 请工作,申请公布在公司网站上的职位,或者申请自己猜测那 些公司还未公布出来的职位。 6. Whatever you do, though, don’t worry about covering the whole job market ― there are so many people, agencies, web sites and job boards out there that it would be impossible to speak to, visit or look at them all. 但是无论怎样做,不要担心是否把整个就业市场都过个遍―― 有那么多的人,那么多的中介机构,那么多的网站和招聘公告, 你不可能都跟他们一一交流、访问或看一遍。 3/6 3.TranslationTranslate the following into Chinese. 7. She and her classmates, sporting construction-paper mortarboards and armed with an unsinkable sense of possibility and wonder, stood on tiptoe behind a microphone and told their adoring parents, videocams rolling, what they wanted to be when they grew up. 她和班里的同学,戴着彩色美术纸做的学士帽,带着那一副永不 消沉的、一切都可能实现的惊讶神情,一边踮着脚站在话筒后面, 告诉他们尊敬的父母自己长大后想要成为什么,一边摄像 机一直在拍摄。 8. Right after graduation, he took off for a big city in Southern California, working for a caterer until he could talk his way into a staff position at a local paper, where he is now a sports columnist. 他一毕业就去了加利福尼亚州南部的一个大城市,为一个宴会 承办商工作,直到他成为当地一家报纸的职员,他现在是那家 报纸的体育版专栏作家。 4/6 3.TranslationTranslate the following into English. 1.他一毕业就离开去了北京,希望能找到一个理想的工作 。(in hopes of) Right after graduation, he took off for Beijing, in hopes of finding an ideal job. 2. 我们认为不管是大目标,还是小目标,给自己确立一个目标对任何 追求幸福的人来说都同样重要。(be it … or) We believe setting oneself a goal, be it small or large, is of the same importance to any person who is seeking happiness. 3. 令我感到伤心的是许多学生上大学是为了找一个工作,而不是为了 接受教育,他们总为分数担忧。(sadden, obsess about) What saddens me is that many students come to college to get a job, rather than an education, and they always obsess about scores. 5/6 3.TranslationTranslate the following into English. 4. 显然这种成功的压力正在造成危害;对许多学生来说,大学不 再是一个体验发现快乐的地方了。(take its toll) Apparently, this pressure to succeed is start for many students, the university is not so much a place where they experience the joy of discovery. 5. 他们上课总是姗姗来迟,三三两两地走进教室,要考试了就临 时抱佛脚。(straggle in) They are always straggling in for class, and are always cramming for tests.6/6 4.Writing实用英语写作: An Order Letter假设你所在公司收到ABC公司数码照相机的价格表和 样品,对报价和产品质量感到满意,决定订购。请拟 写一封订购信,告诉对方订购数量、价格、货运期、 付款方式,并希望来函确认订购。1/2 4.TranslationDear Mr. Zhang, We have received your price list for digital cameras and the sample. We are satisfied with your quotation and the quality. We would like to place the following order with you: Commodity: Digital camera Specification: Kodak EasyShare DX7630 Quantity: 2000 Price: $290 each Date of shipment: By 15th October, 2005 Payment: By L/C Please confirm acceptance of our order by return and send the advice of shipment.We will send the bank draft upon receipt of them. Yours sincerely, Wang Ying Wang Ying 2/2
Unit8 TextA―汇集和整理大量word文档,专业文献,应用文书,考试资料,教学教材,办公文档,教程攻略,文档搜索下载下载,拥有海量中文文档库,关注高价值的实用信息,我们一直在努力,争取提供更多下载资源。}

我要回帖

更多关于 first food米粉 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信