I'm looking ___somereal clothess_____my mother. How do I look____this dress? Would you like to try

这是个机器人猖狂的时代,请输一下验证码,证明咱是正常人~the boy got up,_____(put on,dress)his clothes_百度知道So much of what we talk about here at Tenure, She Wrote is about straddling the often-conflicting expectations of the academic workplace and cultural pressures outside of work. At work we often equate age and expertise, masculinity with leadership. Outside of work, looking young is usually seen as a good thing.
A few weeks ago, there was a discussion over on twitter – and
by @drugmonkeyblog – on looking young as a scientist*. Or rather, on people commenting on your age and making assumptions about your age, based on how you look. In terms of action, Drug Monkey hits the nail on the head – just don’t do it. Keep your opinion to yourself.
The issue I want to discuss is this: Why is this a problem at all?
According to , and a helluva lot of advertising, we should be happy to be seen as young. We should be striving to stay or look youthful. I could trot out any number of examples – young models, aging creams, magazine articles , the , and so on – but we are all familiar with this.
So if looking young is so desirable, what is the problem here?
It’s not so much the exclamations of “Oh! but you’re so young!” which happen and are annoying in a generic why-are-you-judging-my-looks-rather-than-my science category, but commonly it’s comments like “So have you decided on your lab rotations yet?” or “Are you doing qualifying exams this year?” or even “You’re a very challenging young lady”**. Fairly commonly it is “Who do you work for?…No, really, whose lab are you in?”. Sometimes it’s from students “Are you a graduate student? Why are you teaching this course?”***
The problem with being told that you look like [status junior to your position] is not really about age at all. The problem is that even if (and that’s sometimes a pretty big if) the intention is a compliment, the result is ….not complimentary.
Questions like “Are you a graduate student?” or the insistence that I *must* be working in someone else’s lab don’t translate only to “You look young!“****. Instead, what I hear is “You are not who I expect to be here” and “I think you don’t belong” and “I don’t believe that you are qualified”. Which are annoying enough, but even worse, these happen to be the kinds of things I, as a junior faculty person, am most concerned about.
Not looking like a graduate student is one of the big reasons that I dress nicely to go to work*****, especially when teaching. I rarely wear jeans, I almost never wear jeans, t-shirt and sneakers. Not because I am trying to look old, but because my life is easier if I don’t need to constantly field questions about my age and position. I know I’m not alone in this – it’s one big reason that there are commonly questions and posts on .
One surprising thing here: how many of you are imagining these questions coming from older colleagues, particularly those of male gender? In my experience, these questions are as common from women and men, and more common – and more insistent from peers or younger. Why? I don’t know. Competitiveness? Curiousity? Ideas?
______________________________________ *
Go read. Check out the comments thread too.
Yes. That happened. At a conference poster, by a graduate student.
I was uncharacteristically speechless. Later my friend came up with the perfect retort: “That’s DOCTOR young lady to you” ***
or “You’re a graduate student, right? Where is the professor?” ****
Also? Let me tell you a secret – I’m really not that young.
***** Please don’t write in the comments that I shouldn’t wear jeans and sneakers and listen to rap music.
Share this:Like this:Like Loading...
Connecting to %s
Recent Posts
CategoriesCategories
Select Category
Advising&&(13)
Ask TSW&&(2)
Blogging&&(12)
Diversity & Intersectionality&&(45)
Field Notes&&(17)
Funding&&(3)
Graduate School&&(5)
Guest Posts&&(15)
Hiring&&(16)
In the Lab&&(7)
Inside Baseball&&(31)
Links&&(3)
Mental Health&&(25)
Mentoring&&(35)
Negotiating&&(6)
Professional Development&&(97)
Rants&&(15)
Sexual Harassment&&(17)
Teaching&&(25)
Tenure&&(13)
The Personal is Political&&(67)
Time Management&&(32)
Uncategorized&&(5)
Women in Academia&&(81)
Work-Life Balance&&(67)
Select Month
August 2016 &(7)
July 2016 &(2)
June 2016 &(6)
May 2016 &(7)
April 2016 &(6)
March 2016 &(7)
February 2016 &(8)
January 2016 &(6)
December 2015 &(5)
November 2015 &(6)
October 2015 &(6)
September 2015 &(5)
August 2015 &(8)
July 2015 &(8)
June 2015 &(5)
May 2015 &(8)
April 2015 &(9)
March 2015 &(8)
February 2015 &(8)
January 2015 &(7)
December 2014 &(5)
November 2014 &(6)
October 2014 &(7)
September 2014 &(6)
August 2014 &(7)
July 2014 &(10)
June 2014 &(8)
May 2014 &(8)
April 2014 &(9)
March 2014 &(9)
February 2014 &(9)
January 2014 &(8)
December 2013 &(6)
November 2013 &(6)
October 2013 &(9)
September 2013 &(9)
August 2013 &(9)
July 2013 &(7)
Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Follow &Tenure, She Wrote&
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 14,923 other followers
Send to Email Address
Your Email Address
Post was not sent - check your email addresses!
Email check failed, please try again
Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.
%d bloggers like this:For 52 years my father got up every morning at 5:30 am, except Sunday, and went to work. He returned home at 5:30 pm, for dinner at 6:00 pm. I never remember my father having a night out with his children. All he asked from me as a daughter was to hold his hammer while he repaired something, just so we could have some time to talk to each other.For 22 years, after I left home for college, my father called me every Sunday. Nine years ago, my father, 67 years old, spent three days painting my house. He asked me to hold the paint brush for him and talk to him. But I was too busy and I could not take the time to hold the paint brush, or talk to my father.Five years ago, my father spent five hours making a swing(秋千)for my daughter. Again, all he asked me to do was to give him a glass of tea, and talk to him. But again, I had some clothes to wash, and the house to clean.On January 16, 1996, my father telephoned me as usual, this time from my sister’s home in Florida. I had to get to church, and I cut the conversation short.The call came at 4:40 pm. That day, my father was in hospital in Florida. I got on an airplane immediately, and on the way, I made up my mind that when I arrived, I would make up for the lost time, and have a nice long talk with him.I arrived in Florida at 1:00 am, but my father had passed away at 9:12 pm. This time it was he who did not have time to talk, or time to wait for me.小题1:When the author was young, her father ______.A.was busy with his workB.disliked his childrenC.often talked to his childrenD.never cared about his children小题2:How old was the author’s father when he made a swing for his granddaughter?A.45.B.67.C.71.D.76.小题3:When painting the house, the father asked the author to hold a paint brush because ______.A.he wanted to make his work easyB.he was too old to work all by himselfC.he just wanted his daughter to help him D.he wanted to have a talk with his daughter小题4:The underlined phrase “passed away” in the last paragraph probably means “______”.A.arrivedB.lostC.leftD.died - 跟谁学
在线咨询您好,告诉我您想学什么,15分钟为您匹配优质老师哦马上咨询
搜索你想学的科目、老师试试搜索吉安
在线咨询您好,告诉我您想学什么,15分钟为您匹配优质老师哦马上咨询&&&分类:For 52 years my father got up every morning at 5:30 am, except Sunday, and went to work. He returned home at 5:30 pm, for dinner at 6:00 pm. I never remember my father having a night out with his children. All he asked from me as a daughter was to hold his hammer while he repaired something, just so we could have some time to talk to each other.For 22 years, after I left home for college, my father called me every Sunday. Nine years ago, my father, 67 years old, spent three days painting my house. He asked me to hold the paint brush for him and talk to him. But I was too busy and I could not take the time to hold the paint brush, or talk to my father.Five years ago, my father spent five hours making a swing(秋千)for my daughter. Again, all he asked me to do was to give him a glass of tea, and talk to him. But again, I had some clothes to wash, and the house to clean.On January 16, 1996, my father telephoned me as usual, this time from my sister’s home in Florida. I had to get to church, and I cut the conversation short.The call came at 4:40 pm. That day, my father was in hospital in Florida. I got on an airplane immediately, and on the way, I made up my mind that when I arrived, I would make up for the lost time, and have a nice long talk with him.I arrived in Florida at 1:00 am, but my father had passed away at 9:12 pm. This time it was he who did not have time to talk, or time to wait for me.小题1:When the author was young, her father ______.A.was busy with his workB.disliked his childrenC.often talked to his childrenD.never cared about his children小题2:How old was the author’s father when he made a swing for his granddaughter?A.45.B.67.C.71.D.76.小题3:When painting the house, the father asked the author to hold a paint brush because ______.A.he wanted to make his work easyB.he was too old to work all by himselfC.he just wanted his daughter to help him D.he wanted to have a talk with his daughter小题4:The underlined phrase “passed away” in the last paragraph probably means “______”.A.arrivedB.lostC.leftD.diedFor 52 years my father got up every morning at 5:30 am, except Sunday, and went to work. He returned home at 5:30 pm, for dinner at 6:00 pm. I never remember my father having a night out with his children. All he asked from me as a daughter was to hold his hammer while he repaired something, just so we could have some time to talk to each other.For 22 years, after I left home for college, my father called me every Sunday. Nine years ago, my father, 67 years old, spent three days painting my house. He asked me to hold the paint brush for him and talk to him. But I was too busy and I could not take the time to hold the paint brush, or talk to my father.Five years ago, my father spent five hours making a swing(秋千)for my daughter. Again, all he asked me to do was to give him a glass of tea, and talk to him. But again, I had some clothes to wash, and the house to clean.On January 16, 1996, my father telephoned me as usual, this time from my sister’s home in Florida. I had to get to church, and I cut the conversation short.The call came at 4:40 pm. That day, my father was in hospital in Florida. I got on an airplane immediately, and on the way, I made up my mind that when I arrived, I would make up for the lost time, and have a nice long talk with him.I arrived in Florida at 1:00 am, but my father had passed away at 9:12 pm. This time it was he who did not have time to talk, or time to wait for me.小题1:When the author was young, her father ______.A.was busy with his workB.disliked his childrenC.often talked to his childrenD.never cared about his children小题2:How old was the author’s father when he made a swing for his granddaughter?A.45.B.67.C.71.D.76.小题3:When painting the house, the father asked the author to hold a paint brush because ______.A.he wanted to make his work easyB.he was too old to work all by himselfC.he just wanted his daughter to help him D.he wanted to have a talk with his daughter小题4:The underlined phrase “passed away” in the last paragraph probably means “______”.A.arrivedB.lostC.leftD.died科目:最佳答案小题1:A小题1:C小题1:D小题1:D解析
知识点:&&基础试题拔高试题热门知识点最新试题
关注我们官方微信关于跟谁学服务支持帮助中心CHARTS & TRENDS
There was an error trying to load your rating for this title.
Some parts of this page won't work property. Please reload or try later.
I'm Watching This!
Error Please try again!
Added to Your Check-Ins.
How Do I Look?&
A style-impaired guest gets a new wardrobe and makeover. New looks are chosen by a professional stylist and two friends of the guest. The guest sees each collection and has to guess which ...
Can't get enough of movies and TV shows that scare up a good fright? Check out , IMDb's Horror Entertainment Guide.
User Lists
Related lists from IMDb users
a list of 44 titles
created 13&Dec&2011
a list of 1570 titles
created 20&May&2013
a list of 277 titles
created 09&Aug&2013
a list of 127 titles
created 20&Dec&2014
a list of 30 titles
created 11&months&ago
Connect with IMDb
Share this Rating
How Do I Look?
Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? Use the HTML below.
You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin.
2 nominations.
Do you have any images for this title?
Series cast summary:
&Herself - Host
(25 episodes, )
(12 episodes, )
&Herself - Host
(11 episodes, )
A style-impaired guest gets a new wardrobe and makeover. New looks are chosen by a professional stylist and two friends of the guest. The guest sees each collection and has to guess which of the 3 chose it. Then the guest choses one collection to keep, much to the dismay of the other 2 stylists.
Written by
Plot Keywords:
Parents Guide:
Official Sites:
Release Date: 16 January 2004 (USA)
Also Known As: Mude o Meu Look
Production Co:
Show detailed
Frequently Asked Questions
User Reviews
This show runs on adjacent stations and simultaneously with Howard Stern's program, and it's tough to tell which one is more insulting to women. Each episode, they take a young woman (who seems perfectly happy with how she looks) and give her an unwelcome, unwanted makeover, insulting the way she currently looks and actually destroying some of her favorite articles of clothing.The most common &complaint& about the woman's style is that she doesn't &look like a woman enough,& as if to suggest that women should never wear athletic gear, sweatpants, or baggy clothes even when working out. (I guess exercise and sports are just for guys, according to the show.) I'm male, but if four people came into my house, insulted my clothing, and ripped up my sweatshirt in front of me, I'm mostly sure I'd throw them out of a three-story window. The women are made to give up their comfortable clothes and instead put on things they find too revealing or wrong for them, including cleavage shirts, short skirts, and spike heels, all in the name of making her look &more feminine.& (I suppose a woman doesn't look like a woman unless dressed as a prostitute.) I personally think the women look better in the college t-shirts and jeans and well-worn sneakers, but the more important point is that THEY liked how they looked better that way, and are made to act like something they're not.This show needs to be blown up ASAP.
8 of 14 people found this review helpful.&
Was this review helpful to you?
Message Boards
Recent Posts
on the IMDb message boards &
Contribute to This Page
Add episode
Find showtimes, watch trailers, browse photos, track your Watchlist and rate your favorite movies and TV shows on your phone or tablet!
Follow IMDb on
Copyright &}

我要回帖

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信