我现在读gra12,刚来加拿大读博士一个月,...

114网址导航您的位置:&&&&&&&&& & 正文
2012年12月四级多题多卷真题-仔细阅读汇总2
导语:为大家汇编了2012年大学英语多题多卷真题仔细阅读部分,希望对各位考生有所帮助。
Directions: There are 2 passages in this section. Each passage is followed by some questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A),B),C) and D).You should decide on the best choice and mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 2 with a single line through the centre.
Passage One
Questions 57 to 61 are based on the following passage.
As you are probably aware, the latest job markets news isn't good: Unemployment is still more than 9 percent, and new job growth has fallen close to zero. That's bad for the economy, of course. And it may be especially discouraging if you happen to be looking for a job or hoping to change careers right now. But it actually shouldn't matter to you nearly as much as you think.
That's because job growth numbers don't matter to job hunters as much as job turnover(人员更替)data. After all, existing jobs open up every day due to promotions, resignations, terminations(解雇),and retirements. (Yes, people are retiring even in this economy.)In both good times and bad, turnover creates more openings than economic growth does. Even in June of 2007, when the economy was still moving ahead, job growth was only 132 000, while turnover was 4.7 million!
And as it turns out, even today-with job growth near zero-over 4 million job hunters are being hired every month.
I don't mean to imply that overall job growth doesn't have an impact on one's ability to land a job. It's true that if total employment were higher. it would mean more jobs for all of us to choose from (and compete for).And it's true that there are currently more people applying for each available job opening, regardless of whether it's a new one or not.
But what often distinguishes those who land jobs from those who don't is their ability to stay motivated. They're willing to do the hard work of identifying t be creative about w learn how to present themselves to and keep going, even after repeated rejections. The Bureau of Labor Statistics data shows that 2.7 million people who wanted and were available for work hadn't looked within the last four weeks and were no longer even classified as unemployed.
So don't let the headlines fool you into giving up. Four million people get hired every month in the US. You can be one of them.
注意:此部分试题请在答题卡2上作答。
57. The author tends to believe that high unemployment rate_?
A) deprives many people of job opportunities
B) prevents many people from changing careers
C) should not stop people from looking for a job
D) does not mean the US economy is worsening
58. Where do most job openings come from?
A) Job growth. C) Improved economy
B) Job turnover. D) Business expansion.
59. What does the author say about overall job growth?
A) It doesn't have much effect on individual job seekers.
B) It increases people's confidence in the economy.
C) It gives a ray of hope to the unemployed.
D) It doesn't mean greater job security for the employed.
60. What is the key to landing a job according to the author?
A) Education. B) Intelligence. C) Persistence. D) Experience.
61. What do we learn from the passage about the unemployment figures in the US?
A) They clearly indicate how healthy the economy is.
B) They provide the public with the latest information.
C) They warn of the structural problems in the economy.
D) They exclude those who have stopped looking for a job.
Passage Two
Questions 62 to 66 are based on the following passage.
Our risk of cancer rises dramatically as we age. So it makes sense that the elderly should be routinely screened for
多题多卷(一)20 12-12-6
new tumors---or doesn't it?
While such vigilant(警觉的)tracking of cancer is a good thing in general, researchers are increasingly questioning whether all of this testing is necessary for the elderly. With the percentage of people over age 65 expected to nearly double by 2050. it's important to weigh the health benefits of screening against the risks and costs of routine testing.
In many cases, screening can lead to surgeries to remove cancer, while the cancers themselves may be slow- growing and may not pose serious health problems in patients' remaining years. But the message that everyone must screen for cancer has become so deep-rooted that when health care experts recommended that women under 50 and over 74 stop screening for breast cancer, it caused a riotous reaction among doctors, patients and advocacy groups.
It's hard to uproot deeply held beliefs about cancer screening with scientific data. Certainly, there are people over age 75 who have had cancers detected by routine screening. and gained several extra years of life because of treatment. And clearly, people over age 75 who have other risk factors for cancer, such as a family history or prior personal experience with the disease, should continue to get screened regularly. But for the remainder, the risk of cancer, while increased at the end of life, must be balanced with other factors like remaining life expectancy(预期寿命).
A recent study suggests that doctors start to make more objective decisions about who will truly benefit from screening- especially considering the explosion of the elderly that will soon swell our population.
It's not an easy calculation to make, but one that makes sense for all patients. Dr. Otis Brawley said, &Many doctors are ordering screening tests purely to cover themselves. We need to think about the rational use of health
That means making some difficult decisions with elderly patients, and going against the misguided belief that when it comes to health care, more is always better.
62. Why do doctors recommend routine cancer screening for elderly people?
A) It is believed to contribute to long life.
B) It is part of their health care package.
C) The elderly are more sensitive about their health.
D) The elderly are in greater danger of tumor growth.
63. How do some researchers now look at routine cancer screening for the elderly?
A) It adds too much to their medical bills. C) They are doubtful about its necessity.
B) It helps increase their life expectancy. D) They think it does more harm than good.
64. What is the conventional view about women screening for breast cancer?
A) It applies to women over 50. C) It is optional for young women.
B) It is a must for adult women. D) It doesn't apply to women over 74.
65. Why do many doctors prescribe routine screening for cancer?
A) They want to protect themselves against medical disputes.
B) They want to take advantage of the medical care system.
C) They want data for medical research.
D) They want their patients to suffer less.
66. What does the author say is the general view about health care?
A) The more, the better. C) Better early than late.
B) Prevention is better than cure. D) Better care, longer life.
Directions: There are 2 passages in this section. Each passage is followed by some questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A),B),C) and D).You should decide on the best choice and mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 2 with a single line through the centre.
Passage One
I've worked in the factories surrounding my hometown every summer since I graduated from high school. but making the transition(转变)between school and full-time blue-collar work during the break never gets any easier. For a student like me who considers any class before noon to be uncivilized, getting to a factory by 6 o'clock each morning is torture. My friends never seem to understand why I'm so relieved to be back at school or that my summer vacation has been anything but a vacation
There're few people as self-confident as a college student who has never been out in the real world. People my age always seem to overestimate the value of their time and knowledge. In fact, all the classes did not prepare me for my battles with the machine 1 ran in the plant, which would jam whenever I absent-mindedly put in a part backward or upside down.
The most stressful thing about blue-collar life is knowing your job could disappear overnight. Issues like downsizing(裁员)and overseas relocation had always seemed distant to me until my co-workers told me that the unit I was working in would shut down within six months and move to Mexico, where people would work for 60 cents an hour.
After working 12-hour shifts in a factory, the other options have become only too clear. When Fm back at the university, skipping classes and turning in lazy re-writes seems too irresponsible after seeing what I would be doing without school. All the advice and public-service announcements about the value of an education that used to sound stale now ring true.
These lessons I'm learning, however valuable, are always tinged(带有)with a sense of guilt. Many people pass their lives in the places I briefly work, spending 30 years where I spend only two months at a time. &This job pays well, but it's hell on the body,& said one co-worker. &Study hard and keep reading,& she added.
My experiences in the factories have inspired me to make the most of my college years before I enter the real world for good.
57.How did the author look back on his summer days while at college?
A )They brought him nothing but torture.
B )They were no holiday for him at all.
C) They were a relief from his hard work at school.
D) They offered him a chance to know more people.
58. What does the author say about college students?
A )They expect too much from the real world. C) They think too highly of themselves.
B)They have little interest in blue-collar life. D) They are confident of their future.
59. What, according to the author, is most frustrating for blue-collar workers?
A )They do not get decent pay. C) They have to work 12-hour shifts.
B )They do not have job security. D) They have to move from place to place.
60. In what important way has the author's work experience changed him?
A )He learned to be more practical. C) He came to respect blue-collar workers.
B)He acquired a sense of urgency. D) He came to appreciate his college education
61. Why does the author feel somewhat guilty?
A )He realizes there is a great divide between his life and that of blue-collar workers.
B )He looks down upon the mechanical work at the assembly line.
四级多题多卷(二)
C )He has not done much to help his co-workers at the factory.
D )He has stayed at school just for the purpose of escaping from the real world. Passage Two
Are people suffering from gadget(小器具)overload? Are they exhausted by the consumer equivalent of the brain fatigue-information overload that is caused by constant updates of devices and online media?
Underwriters Laboratories issued a report last week that found 48% of consumers &feel high-tech manufacturers bring new products to market faster than people need them.&
There are two possible explanations. The first, obvious one is that the pace of innovation(创新)is too fast for consumers. The second less obvious one is that, in fact, innovation is too slow. That is, the new offerings companies are pushing out the door every six months or so are me-too products or ones with just a couple of new features. Marketing schedules, not product innovation, are driving the corporate(公司的)train. Manufacturers in America valued &speed to market& more than in other countries, the report found.
Sara Greenstejn, Underwriters Laboratories' chief strategy officer, offered her interpretation of the survey results. &Innovation is too fast only if corners are cut.&
For the high-tech sector, there are a few other interesting findings. Consumers are less concerned about safety in high-tech products than categories like fresh and processed food. But their top safety concerns are emissions and wireless radio waves. Many people, it seems. are uneasy living in a thickening cloud of radio waves from mobile phone towers and the gadgets they communicate with.
A finding that was a hit surprising is that to consumers, the inner parts of high-tech devices do apparently matter. Some 55% of consumers, according to the report, said they are &more concerned about where high-tech components come from than where the product was assembled.&
The report doesn't really say how that information would affect consumer buying decisions. It could be complicated. Manufacturing companies on average rely on more than 35 contract suppliers around the world to create a single product. That number would be higher for a smartphone or laptop.
But maybe some sort of supply-chain labeling showing where parts come from in a product? &We're working on it,& Ms. Greenstein said.
62. What is the finding in Underwriters Laboratories' report about many consumers?
A)They are exhausted by the information overload.
B)They are tired of the constant updating of devices.
C)They feel products are updated faster than needed.
D)They have difficulty following high-tech innovations.
63. What does the author mean by &me-too products&?
A)Products with no substantial difference. C) Products everyone is eager to possess.
B)Products tailored to individual users. D) Products companies compete to make.
64. What do American businesses give priority to when marketing their products?
A)The constant updating of their technology. C) The quality of their new products.
B)The speed of putting them on the market. D) The pace of product innovation.
65. What is the consumers' chief concern about high-tech products?
A) User-friendliness. B) Product quality. C) Place of assembly. D) Radio emissions.
66. Why does the author suggest supply-chain labeling?
A)It guarantees the safe shipping of products.
B)It promotes the competitiveness of the supplier.
C)Consumers care about where components are made.
D)Consumers tend to buy products they are familiar with.
Passage One
It's no secret that some of the resolutions that many of us vowed to pursue in the new year-eat healthy. lose weight, quit smoking, save more money一have already fallen by the wayside.
Many of them are likely the same resolutions that we abandoned last January. And it's a good thing for those who sell health club memberships, quit-smoking programs and other products that help us think we can improve our lives.
Many gyms see new memberships double in January, making up for the third of their members who do not renew each year.
And many who sign up in January will be no-shows by February.
&If I try one quick fix and it doesn't work, I may be more likely to try the next quick fix,&Lisa Lahey. who coaches executives how to sustain behavior change, told The Times.
The Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge doesn't offer any quick fixes, just a 12-hour schedule full of exercise, a 1 200-calories-a-day diet and a fee of$2 000 a week. The resort teaches its clients that &weight management& is a combination of fitness, diet and emotional health.
&Given my recent weight gain, and the fact that I was turning 50,&Jennifer Coniin wrote in The Times,''l wanted to start a program that would make 2012 the year I finally got in shape.&
&For years, the advice to the overweight people has been that we simply need to eat less and exercise more,&Tara Parker-Pope wrote. &White there is truth to this guidance, it fails to take into account that the human body continues to fight against weight loss long after dieting has stopped. This translates into a sobering(令人清醒的)reality: once we become fat, most of us, despite our best efforts, will probably stay fat.&
Of course this revelation(揭示),it proven true by further study. is not good news for the weight-loss industry. But chances are it won't have much impact on the human tendency to resolve to get to the gym more and avoid chocolate cake when the clock strikes midnight on December 31.
57. What do we learn from the first paragraph about new year resolutions?
A)They are hard to sustain. C) They help shed bad habits.
B)They test one's strength. D) They promise a good year.
58. Who do new year resolutions eventually benefit?
A)Society in general. C) Health club members.
B)Business executives. D) Health industries.
59. What is special about the Biggest Loser Resort's weight management program?
A)It gives top priority to emotional health. C) It focuses on one's behavior change.
B)It does not resort to any quick fixes. D) It is not cheap but extremely effective.
60. What happens when people stop dieting?
A)They regain their appetite. C) Their weight bounces back.
B)They usually stay in shape. D) Their health is likely to fail
61 .What do people tend to do about new year resolutions?
A)They keep making them year after year.
B)They abandon them once progress is made.
C)They keep trying until they finally succeed.
D)They make them for the sake of making them. Passage Two
When University of California-Berkeley released a study this month showing alarmingly high teacher turnover(人员流动)rates at Los Angeles charter schools, I wasn't surprised.
That's not a slam at local charter schools. It's just that the study echoed something I'd observed many times, starting with my niece.
四级多题多卷(三)
Bright and cheerful, my niece longed to teach high-needs children. She started out in the San Francisco public schools, where she was assigned to the district's toughest elementary school. Fifth-graders threw chairs across the room-and at her. Parents refused to show up for conferences.
She wasn't willing to deal with this level of indifference and teacher abuse, so she switched to a highly regarded charter elementary school in the Bay Area where she poured her energy into her job and it showed. Her students' test scores were as high as those in a nearby wealthy school district, despite the obstacles these children faced.
Yet by her fourth year, my niece was worn out, depleted(耗尽)of the energy it took to work with a classroom of sweet but deeply needy children who pleaded to stay in her classroom when it was time to leave. The principal's offer of a$10 000 raise couldn't stop her from giving notice. She went to work at that wealthy school district next door- for less money.
Over the years, I've met many impassioned(充满激情的)teachers at charter schools, only to call them the next year and find they've left. The authors of the Berkeley study theorize that the teachers leave because of the e long hours, intense involvement in students' complicated lives, continual searches for new ways to raise scores. Even the strongest supporters of the reform movement concede that the task of raising achievement among disadvantaged students is hard work.
It's unlikely that we can build large-scale school reform on a platform of continual new demands on teachers--- more time, more energy, more devotion, more responsibility--even if schools find ways to pay them better. This is the bigger challenge facing schools. We need a more useful answer to the Berkeley study than &Yeah, it's really hard
62. Why wasn't the author surprised at the high teacher turnover rates at Los Angeles charter schools?
A) She had participated in the Berkeley study.
B) She had noticed the phenomenon repeatedly.
C) She had been involved in the local school reform.
D) She had been informed of the problem by her niece.
63. What do we learn about the students in the public school the author's niece taught?
A) They were undisciplined.
B) They were tough and strong.
C) Many of them enjoyed less parental care.
D) Many of them dropped out of school halfway.
64. What does the author say about her niece's work in the charter elementary school?
A) It won high praise from her school and colleagues.
B) It was cited by the Berkeley study as an example.
C) It contributed to the success of the school reform.
D) It was well received by the disadvantaged children.
65. Why were the teacher turnover rates so high according to the Berkeley study?
A) The students were indifferent to learning. C) Teachers' work was too demanding.
B) Teachers' salary was not high enough. D) Jobs elsewhere were more meaningful.
66. What is the author's comment on the current school reform movement?
A) It will give rise to more problems. C) It will have a positive impact on education.
B) It is not likely to be successful. D) It demands the local authorities' support.
&&上一篇:&&
&&下一篇:&&
相关资讯:
网站导航:
信 息
课 程
社 区
访 谈
学位英语免费试听
超值优惠套餐=写作+词汇+听力+阅读+翻译+真题精讲班 70课时
精讲大纲词汇,轻松记忆单词
课时数:10课时
紧扣大纲要求,直达阅读高分课时数:10课时
剖析解题秘笈,提升听力水平课时数:10课时
解读命题规律,揭秘高分技巧
课时数:10课时
梳理重要考点,提高应试能力
课时数:约6课时
讲授历年真题,直击命题精髓
课时数:24课时
学员 kxiwo:
学员 doeiia:
学员 ouemnx:
学员 mlbafjlkafmb:
学员 ahogj:
学员 ahigahe32:
学员 loiwu:
学员 yopdm:
   1、凡本网注明 &来源:外语教育网&的所有作品,版权均属外语教育网所有,未经本网授权不得转载、链接、转贴或以其他方式使用;已经本网授权的,应在授权范围内使用,且必须注明&来源:外语教育网&。违反上述声明者,本网将追究其法律责任。
  2、本网部分资料为网上搜集转载,均尽力标明作者和出处。对于本网刊载作品涉及版权等问题的,请作者与本网站联系,本网站核实确认后会尽快予以处理。
本网转载之作品,并不意味着认同该作品的观点或真实性。如其他媒体、网站或个人转载使用,请与著作权人联系,并自负法律责任。
  3、本网站欢迎积极投稿
  4、联系方式:
电话:010-1}

我要回帖

更多关于 加拿大读博士 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信