For the first time in his life, he became是什么意思 the proud owner of a bed which had sprin

扫二维码下载作业帮
3亿+用户的选择
下载作业帮安装包
扫二维码下载作业帮
3亿+用户的选择
求新概念英语第二册49~58的课文原文
作业帮用户
扫二维码下载作业帮
3亿+用户的选择
Lesson 49 The end of a dream Tired of sleeping on the floor, a young man in Teheran saved up for years to buy a real bed. For the first time in his life, he became the proud owner of a bed which had springs and a mattress. Because the weather was very hot, he carried the bed on to the roof of his house. He slept very well for the first two nights, but on the third night, a storm blew up. A gust of wind swept the bed off the roof and sent it crashing into the courtyard below. The young man did not wake up until the bed had struck the ground. Although the bed was smashed to pieces, the man was miraculously unhurt. When he woke up, he was still on the mattress. Glancing at the bits of wood and metal that lay around him, the man sadly picked up the mattress and carried it into his house. After he had put it on the floor, he promptly went to sleep again.Lesson 50 Taken for a ride I love travelling in the country, but I don't like losing my way.
I went on an excursion recently, but my trip took me longer than I expected.
'I'm going to Woodford Green,' I said to the conductor as I got on the bus, 'but I don't know where it is.'
'I'll tell you where to get off.' answered the conductor.
I sat in the front of the bus to get a good view of the countryside. After some time, the bus stopped. Looking round, I realized with a shock that I was the only passenger left on the bus.
'You'll have to get off here,' the conductor said. 'This is as far as we go.'
'Is this Woodford Green?' I asked.
'Oh dear,' said the conductor suddenly. 'I forgot to put you off.'
'It doesn't matter,' I said. 'I'll get off here.'
'We're going back now,' said the conductor.
'Well, in that case, I prefer to stay on the bus,' I answered.Lesson 51 Reward for virtue My friend, Hugh, has always been fat, but things got so bad recently that he decided to go on a diet. He began his diet a week ago. First of all, he wrote out a long list of all the foods which were forbidden. The list included most of the things Hugh loves: butter, potatoes, rice, beer, milk, and sweets. Yesterday I paid him a visit. I rang the bell and was not surprised to see that Hugh was still as fat as ever. He led me into his room and hurriedly hid a large parcel under his desk. It was obvious that he was very embarrassed. When I asked him what he was doing, he smiled guiltily and then put the parcel on the desk. He explained that his diet was so strict that he had to reward himself occasionally. Then he showed me the contents of the parcel. It contained five large bars of chocolate and three bags of sweets!Lesson 52 A pretty carpet We have just moved into a new house and I have been working hard all morning. I have been trying to get my new room in order. This has not been easy because I own over a thousand books. To make matters worse, the room is rather small, so I have temporarily put my books on the floor. At the moment, they cover every inch of floor space and I actually have to walk on them to get in or out of the room. A short while ago, my sister helped me to carry one of my old bookcases up the stairs. She went into my room and got a big surprise when she saw all those books on the floor. 'This is the prettiest carpet I have ever seen,' she said. She gazed at it for some time then added, 'You don't need bookcases at all. You can sit here in your spare time and read the carpet!'Lesson 53 Hot snake At last firemen have put out a big forest fire in California. Since then, they have been trying to find out how the fire began. Forest fires are often caused by broken glass or by cigarette ends which people carelessly throw away. Yesterday the firemen examined the ground carefully, but were not able to find any broken glass. They were also quite sure that a cigarette end did not start the fire. This morning, however, a firemen accidentally discovered the cause. He noticed the remains of a snake which was wound round the electric wires of a 16,000-volt power line. In this way, he was able to solve the mystery. The explanation was simple but very unusual. A bird had snatched up the snake from the ground and then dropped it on to the wires. The snake then wound itself round the wires. When it did so, it sent sparks down to the ground and these immediately started a fire.Lesson 54 Sticky fingers
After breakfast, I sent the children to school and then I went to the shops. It was still early when I returned home. The children were at school, my husband was at work and the house was quiet. So I decided to make some meat pies. In a short time I was busy mixing butter and flour and my hands were soon covered with sticky pastry. At exactly that moment, the telephone rang. Nothing could have been more annoying. I picked up the receiver between two sticky fingers and was dismayed when I recognized the voice of Helen Bates. It took me ten minutes to persuade her to ring back later. At last I hung up the receiver. What a mess! There was pastry on my fingers, on the telephone, and on the doorknobs. I had no sooner got back to the kitchen than the doorbell rang loud enough to wake the dead. This time it was the postman and he wanted me to sign for a registered letter!Lesson 55 Not a gold mine Dreams of finding lost treasure almost came true recently. A new machine called 'The Revealer' has been invented and it has been used to detect gold which has been buried in the ground. The machine was used in a cave near the seashore where -- it is said -- pirates used to hide gold. The pirates would often bury gold in the cave and then fail to collect it. Armed with the new machine, a search party went into the cave hoping to find buried treasure. The leader of the party was examining the soil near the entrance to the cave when the machine showed that there was gold under the ground. Very excited, the party dug a hole two feel deep. They finally found a small gold coin which was almost worthless. The party then searched the whole cave thoroughly but did not find anything except an empty tin trunk. In spite of this, many people are confident that 'The Revealer' may reveal something of value fairly soon.Lesson 56 Faster than sound! Once a year, a race is held for old cars. A lot of cars entered for this race last year and there was a great deal of excitement just before it began. One of the most handsome cars was a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost. The most unusual car was a Benz which had only three wheels. Built in 1885, it was the oldest car taking part. After a great many loud explosions, the race began. Many of the cars broke down on the course and some drivers spent more time under their cars than in them! A few cars, however, completed the race. The winning car reached a speed of forty miles an hour -- much faster than any of its rivals. It sped downhill at the end of the race and its driver had a lot of trouble trying to stop it. The race gave everyone a great deal of pleasure. It was very different from modern car races but no less exciting.Lesson 57 Can I help you, madam?
A woman in jeans stood at the window of an expensive shop. Though she hesitated for a moment, she finally went in and asked to see a dress that was in the window. The assistant who served her did not like the way she was dressed. Glancing at her scornfully, he told her that the dress was sold. The woman walked out of the shop angrily and decided to punish the assistant next day. She returned to the shop the following morning dressed in a fur coat, with a handbag in one hand and a long umbrella in the other. After seeking out the rude assistant, she asked for the same dress. Not realizing who she was, the assistant was eager to serve her this time. With great difficulty, he climbed into the shop window to get the dress. As soon as she saw it, the woman said she did not like it. She enjoyed herself making the assistant bring almost everything in the window before finally buying the dress she had first asked for.Lesson 58 A blessing in disguise? The tiny village of Frinley is said to possess a 'cursed tree'. Because the tree was mentioned in a newspaper, the number of visitors to Frinley has now increased. The tree was planted near the church fifty years ago, but it is only in recent years that it has gained an evil reputation. It is said that if anyone touches the tree, h if he picks a leaf, he will die. Many villagers believe that the tree has already claimed a number of victims. The vicar has been asked to have the tree cut down, but so far he has refused. He has pointed out that the tree cut down, but so far he has refused. He has pointed out that the tree is a useful source of income, as tourists have been coming from all parts of the country to see it. In spite of all that has been said, the tourists have been picking leaves and cutting their names on the tree-trunk. So far, not one of them has been struck down by sudden death!
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
把邮箱留下,我发给你。
上可可英语网
扫描下载二维码阅读理解 A woman in the US is able to speak for the first time in 11 years after a pioneering voice box transplant. Brenda Jensen said the operation was a great success which had saved her life.Thirtee 题目和参考答案——精英家教网——
暑假天气热?在家里学北京名师课程,
& 题目详情
  A woman in the US is able to speak for the first time in 11 years after a pioneering voice box transplant(移植).
  Brenda Jensen said the operation was a great success which had saved her life.Thirteen days after the surgery she said her first words:"Good morning, I want to go home."It is the first time a voice box and windpipe have been transplanted at the same time and only the second time a voice box has ever been transplanted.
  Ms.Jensen, 52, had been unable to speak on her own since her voice box was damaged during surgery in 1999.Since then, she has been unable to taste or smell food, could breathe only through a hole in her windpipe and could talk only with the help of an electronic voice box.
  In October, surgeons at the University of California Davis Medical Centre removed the voice box and 6cm of the windpipe from a donor body.In an 18-hour operation, this was transplanted into Ms.Jensen's throat and the team connected it to her blood supply and nerves(神经).
  Professor Martin Birchall from University College London, who was part of the surgery team, said:"We've learned that we can repair nerves to make even very complex organs function again.It'll open the door to better facial transplants and will be extremely important as tissue engineering develops."
  A voice box transplant might be life changing, but it is not life saving.Everyone who receives a transplant must take drugs to control the immune system(免疫系统)for the rest of their lives.These drugs can reduce life expectancy, so they are normally set aside for life saving procedures.
  One of the reasons Ms.Jensen was a suitable person for this transplant was that she was already taking immune controlling drugs after a kidney-pancreas transplant four years ago.Professor Peter Belafsky, part of the surgical team, said:" Brenda was an exceptional candidate for the transplant because she was highly motivated.Anyone who's met Brenda knows that she is a strong and determined person with a great outlook on life in spite of the many physical challenges she's faced over her lifetime.
The voice transplant operation is of great significance because it proves that ________.
facial transplants are now easier to perform
new medical technology is always possible to discover
nerve repairing is a breakthrough in tissue engineering
the drugs taken after the operation help the patient live longer
Ms.Jensen was a suitable person for this transplant because she was ________.
strong-willed and prepared
experienced and brave
seriously ill and motivated
determined and realistic
Which of the following is the right time order of the event?
a.Ms.Jensen received a voice box transplant operation.
b.Ms.Jensen began to take immune controlling drugs.
c.Doctors removed the voice box from a donor body.
d.Ms.Jensen had a kidney-pancreas transplant operation.
Which is the best title for the passage?
Transplant Saves A Woman's Life
Overcoming Obstacles to Speak Again
First Words from New Voice Box
Courageous Woman Defeating Fears
答案:1.C;2.A;3.B;4.C;
练习册系列答案
科目:高中英语
来源:选修导学英语译林7 译林版
  If you can’t catch the bad guy, t’s game over-this is the rule of life for computer game players in cyber-world(网络世界).
  But similar thoughts might be worrying US President George W.ush as he prepares for election year with the world’s most wanted man still out of his reach.
  The hunt for Osama Bin Laden, eader of the AL-Qaida group, as been going on since the attack on New York’s World Trade Center on September 11,2001.Progress has been slow and, ith Democrat Senator John Kerry winning the race last Tuesday to challenge Bush in November’s presidential elections, he president needs results.f Osama Bin Laden can be caught before the presidential election, ush will gain an obvious advantage.
  The American public’s support for the war in Iraq has been falling, specially as the Bush government cannot find the banned weapons(武器)that it said were in the country.ut the way the president’s popularity rose following the capture(捕获)of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein in December shows how useful it would be if Bin Laden could be caught.
  The latest polls suggest the election will be close, ith 48 per cent of Americans saying they will vote for Bush and 46 per cent backing Kerry.
  In order to capture the Saudi Arabia-born AL Qaida leader, housands of US soldiers were moved from Iraq to Afghanistan earlier this week.urther efforts have been made to strengthen Afghanistan’s border(边境)area with Pakistan, ith soldiers inspecting nearby villages more frequently than before.
  However, akistan has denied(否认)reports that US soldiers will be allowed to search for Bin Laden on its land.ush’s battles, oth at home and abroad, ill not be won easily.
Why does the writer mention the rule of life for computer game players in cyber-world?
Because catching Osama Bin Laden is another game.
Because real life can be similar to life in cyber-world.
Because this is also one of the rules in the American presidential election.
Because a game like this has become a real life situation for Bush.
We can learn from the passage that Osama Bin Laden ________
was born in Afghanistan and lives in Saudi Arabia
is sure to be captured since Saddam Hussein has been caught
must be found so that 48% of the Americans will back Bush
is probably hidden in the border area of Afghanistan and Pakistan
The underlined word “inspecting”(Paragraph 6)can be replaced by ________
It can be inferred from the passage that ________
the Bush government has great difficulty in seizing Bin Laden
Kerry is more likely than Bush to win the coming presidential election
more and more people are supporting the war in Iraq
Pakistan will allow US soldiers to search for Bin Laden on its land
来源:2013福建高考英语试题
  This is What a REAL Silver Dollar Looks Like
  If you trust in the yen, the euro, and the dollar…stop reading.
  Because this is a story about the silver coin EVERYBODY wants.
  You read the headlines.You know that troubled economic times have put global currency on a rollercoaster(ride.But millions have found a smarter way to build long-term value with high-grade collectable silver.And right now, those people are lining up to secure some of the last 2012 U.S.Mint Silver Eagles, America's Newest Silver Eagle Dollars.Today, you can graduate to the front of that line.Buy now and you can own these brilliant uncirculated Silver Dollars for only $38.95!
  You Can't Afford to Lose
  Why are we releasing(发行)this silver dollar for such a remarkable price? Because we want to introduce you to what hundreds of thousands of smart collectors and satisfied customers have known since 1984-New York Mint is the place to find the world's finest high-grade coins.That's why we're offering you this Brilliant Uncirculated 2012 U.S.Silver Eagle for as little as $37.45(plus s/h).
  Timing is Everything
  Our advice? Keep this to yourself.Because the more people who know about this offer, the worse it is for you.Demand for Silver Eagles in 2011 broke records.Experts predict that 2012 Silver Eagles may break them all over again.Due to rapid changes in the price of silver, prices may be higher or lower and are subject to(受...影响)change without notice.Supplies are limited.Call immediately to add these Silver Eagles to your holdings before it's too late.
  Offer Limited to 40 per household 2012 American Silver Eagle Coin
  Your cost 1-4 Coins $38.95 each+s/h
  5-9 Coins $38.45 each+s/h
  10-19 Coins $37.95 each+s/h
  20-40 Coins $37.45 each+s/h
  Note: $10 s/h(shipping and handling)for each purchase
  For fastest service, call toll-free 24 hours a day
  1-888-201-7143
  Offer Code(代码)ASE177-04
  Please mention this code when you call.
  New York Mint 14101
  Southcross Drive W., Dept.ASE177-04
  Burnsville, Minnesota 55337
  www.NewYorkMint.com
What is stressed in the ad?
The coin is of high quality and worth collecting.
The coin can be circulated as a currency.
Limited supplies guarantee a stable price of the coin.
Demand for the coin is bound to break records.
If you buy six 2012 U.S.Mint Silver Eagles by post, you should pay at least ________.
The ad strongly encourages people to purchase the silver coins by ________.
shopping online
making a phone call
lining up in front of the stores
writing to the company
来源:四川省自贡市2012届高三第一次诊断性考试英语试题
  Three in ten Americans commit" financial infidelity(出轨)W by lying to their partners about money, sometimes suffering consequences such as separation or divorce(离婚), according to a new survey.
  The Harris Interactive online poll of 2019 adults released on Thursday showed 31 percent of American couples who have combined finances were not truthful about issues such as hiding cash or a bank account or about debt or earnings.
  "Financial infidelity may be the new normal," said Forbes.com, which performed the survey with the National Endowment(基金会)for Financial Education.
  One-third of respondents(响应者)also say they have been cheated, and both sexes lie to their partners about money in equal numbers."These unwise behaviors cause great damage, to the relationship, which is really not worthwhile.We must consider how important a family is to all of us.We must be honest to our partners in everything including money," said Ted Beck, chief executive of the National Endowment for Financial Education.
  Sixteen percent of couples affected by financial infidelity said the cheat led to a divorce and 11 percent said it caused a separation.Sixty-seven percent said it led to an argument and for 42 percent it lessened(减少的)trust in the relationship.What a great damage it is to the family members!
  The most common lie, at 58 percent, was hiding cash.Fifty-four percent of respondents admitted hiding a minor purchase, 30 percent hid a bill, 16 percent did not disclose a major purchase and 15 percent hid a bank account.
  Eleven percent lied about debt and an equal number were untruthful about earnings, the survey showed.It is suggested that all the couples should learn a lesson from this matter.
What does Ted Beck think of Americans' committing financial infidelity?
Rewarding.
Unlawful.
What does the fifth paragraph mainly tell us?
The harm of financial infidelity.
The meaning of financial infidelity.
The explanation for financial infidelity.
The percentage of Americans' committing financial infidelity.
What does the underlined word"lessened" mean in the fifth paragraph?
Most Americans lie to their partners about _________.
hiding cash
bank account
What is the best title of the passage?
Americans like to lie most
Three in ten Americans commit financial infidelity
Americans have the largest percentage of divorce
Americans like to hide their partners' cash
来源:黄冈题库 练考新课堂 高二英语(下)
  Former US. Vice President A1 Gore, who came close to winning the presidency two years ago, said he will not run in 2004, and probably will not have another opportunity to seek the White House.
  Though Gore would have been a frightening Democratic(民主党的)main runner, his decision to give up the 2004 race probably helped his party' s chances in the general election against President George W. Bush, Democrats said.
  Many did not want to see Bush-Gore Ⅱ.
  “The last campaign was an extremely difficult one,” Gore told CBS TV show “60 Minutes”. on Sunday.
  While saying he still had the energy and drive to run again, Gore recognized, “There are a lot of people within the Democratic Party who felt exhausted (by the 2000 race)… who felt like, OK, ‘I don't want to go through that again.’ And I'm frankly sensitive to that feeling.”
  In nearly two dozen interviews after Gore announced his plans, Democrats dutifully claimed their party had lost a top candidate, but one after another, they praised Gore for taking an early exit from a primary race he could have won, sparing them a repeat.
  Gore, 54, said he was making his decision “in the full understanding that it probably means that I will never have another opportunity to run for president.”
  Party activists(激进主义分子)blamed Gore for losing despite a booming economy and eight years of a Democratic administration. Gore even lost his home state of T a victory there would have given him the White House.
1.Which of the following can be the best title for this passage?
A.Gore Was Criticized
B.Gore Decides Not to Fight Bush in 2004
C.Former US. Vice President Al Gore
D.Al Gore and Gorge Bush
2.Why do you think Gore has decides not to run in 2004 according to this passage?
A.Because he is quite old
B.Because many people are against him
C.Because he quite understands the feelings of a lot of Democratic members
D.Because he doesn't want to be President of US
3.What was Gore's feeling when he made his decision?
A.DelightB.Sad
C.RegretfulD.Calm
来源:广东省培正中学学年高二第一学期期中考考试英语试题
  Recently, another study has been carried out about who is the greatest American president.Sixty-five presidential historians took part in it and they judged the past forty-two American leaders based on ten qualities of leadership, which include public persuasion, crisis(危机)leadership, the management of economy, moral leadership and international relations.The historians also looked at administrative(行政的)ability, relations with Congress, goal setting and pursuit(追求)of equal justice for all.Finally, the experts considered performance based on the historical period in which the president lived.
  The historians chose Abraham Lincoln as America’s greatest president.He had also been named best president in a similar study in 2000.Abraham Lincoln was the only president in American history to lead the nation during the Civil War in the 1860s.He united the nation at last.And he took the first steps that detroyed the institution of slavery in America.
  Edna Medford is a professor of history at Howard University in Washington, D.C.She was an adviser on this study and the ealier one.She says Abraham Lincoln is seen to represent the values that the nation most honors like truthfulness, moderation(温和)and respect for human rights.
  The historians named America’s first president, George Washington, as second on the list of greatest presidents.Franklind.Roosevelt, theodore Roosevelt and Harry Truman are next in that order.John F.Kennedy, the coutry’s first Roman Catholic president, is sixth on the list.Like Abraham Lincoln, John F.Kennedy was murdered while in office.
  Among recent presidents, Ronald Reagan was named the tenth best president.Bill Clinton was rated fifteenth.And the historians rated former president George W.Bush as number thirty-six.His fathter, George H.W.Bush, did much better.He was rated as number eighteen.
Abrahm Lincoln was chosen as America’s greatest president mainly because _________.
he led the people to end slavery and united the nation
he caused the Civil War and fought against slavery
he was the only president to join in a civil war
he owned the ten qualities of leadership
According to the recent study, a good president wouldn’t _________.
persuade the public to follow some rules
take measures to deal with an economic crisis
start a war between countries
run after equal justice for the people
Which of the following presidents did worst when he was in power according to the recent study?
John F.Kennedy.
George Washington
Bill Clinton
George W.Bush
According to the passage, the greatest American president from Mo.1 to No.6 should be _________.
Abraham Lincoln→George Washington→Franklind.Roosevelt→Theodore Roosevelt→Harry Truman→John F.Kennedy
Abraham Lincoln→George Washington→Theodore Roosevelt→Franklind.Roosevelt→John F.Kennedy→Harry Truman
George Washington→Abraham Lincoln→John F.Kennedy→Theodore Roosevelt→Harry Truman→Franklins.Roosevelt
Abraham Lincoln→John F.Kennedy→GeorgeWashington→TheodoreRoosevelt→Harry Truman→Franklind.Roosevelt
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
请输入姓名
请输入手机号}

我要回帖

更多关于 hasbecame 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信