Change Password
Old Password
New Password
Very Strong
Your password has been changed
Create a new account
Email or Customer ID
Forgot your password?
Enter your email address below. If your address has been previously registered, you will
receive an email with instructions on how to reset your password. If you don't receive an email,
you should register as a new user
Email or Customer ID
Please check your email for your password reset instructions.
Request Username
Can't sign in? Forgot your username?
Enter your email address below and we will send you your username
Email or Customer ID
If the address matches an existing account you will receive an email with instructions to retrieve your username【走遍美国精讲笔记】第 1 课:林登大街 46 号 ACT 1 - 1难度:容易 作者:沪江英语 来源:沪江英语 评论:23 划词:已启用收藏收藏喜欢的文章,日后复习吧!哎呀,可惜你是未注册用户!ACT 1-1 “我可以给您和您的小男孩拍张照吗?”【故事梗概】自由摄影艺术家 Richard Stewart,正在为编出自己的影集《走遍美国》到处拍照。今天他在由纽约市曼哈顿区到斯塔滕岛的渡船上工 作,回程中遇到了来自加州的一位黑人妇女 Martha Vann 和她的小儿子 Gerald。Richard 想要给他们拍照。请先听下面的音频:Richard: Excuse me. My name is Richard Stewart. I'm a photographer. May I take a picture of you and your little boy? Mrs.Vann: What's it for? Richard: It's for a book. Mrs.Vann: You're writing a book? Richard: It's a book of pictures. I call it Family Album, U.S.A. Mrs.Vann: Oh, that's a nice idea. Well, it's fine if you take our picture. I'm Martha Vann. Richard: Thank you. I appreciate your help. I'm Richard. What's your name? Gerald: Gerald. Richard: How old are you, Gerald? Gerald: Five. Richard: And where do you live? Mrs.Vann: We live in California. Richard: Well, welcome to New York. OK, just a second. I'm almost ready here.【语言点精讲】1. Excuse me. My name is Richard Stewart. I'm a photographer. 这是 Richard 在与陌生人搭讪并介绍自己。 Excuse me 这个短语用来引起对方的注意。相当于汉语的“对不起,劳驾”。 自我介绍时可以先介绍自己的名字,再说明自己的职业。 介绍自己的名字时,可以像 Richard 一样,说 My name is Richard Stewart. 也可以像 Mrs. Vann 那样,说 I'm Martha Vann.2. May I take a picture of you and your little boy? May I...是一种很礼貌的征求别人的同意的说法,相当于“我可以...吗?”。 Richard 想要为 Mrs. Vann 母子拍照片,他首先要征得当事人的同意,否则闹出肖像权的问题可不是好玩滴~~3. I appreciate your help. 这是在受别人帮助或听了别人的忠告之后的感谢语。 Richard 向 Mrs. Vann 说明了照片的用途后, 在 Mrs. Vann 欣然接受拍照的请求, 之后 Richard 立即向对方表达了感谢。这里也可以说 I really appreciate it.4. Welcome to New York. Welcome to… 是迎接客人的客套语。Richard 与 Mrs. Vann 母子攀谈几句后得知母子二人来自于 California,于是 Richard 对他们 说,欢迎到纽约来。 又例如:Welcome to HJ English.ACT 1-2 “我可以帮忙吗?”【故事梗概】Richard 准备为 Mrs.Vann 母子拍照,他需要使用反光板。这时,一位来自希腊的交换生 Alexandra 主动提出要帮助他。照片顺利的拍 完了。Richard 感谢了 Alexandra 并开始与她交谈。Richard: OK, Just a second. I'm almost ready here. Alexadra: Can I help you? Richard: Oh, please. Hold Gerald's hand, please. Great! Now point to the buildings. Terrific! Give Mommy a kiss, Gerald. Nice! Thank you, Gerald. And thank you, Mrs Vann. Mrs.Vann: Oh, my pleasure. We'll be looking for your book. Richard: Thank you. Good-bye. Bye, Gerald. Thanks again. Alexandra: Oh, you're welcome. Richard: Hey, let me take your picture! Alexandra: Wonderful. Please. Richard: Are you from New York? Alexandra: No, I'm from Greece. I'm an exchange student. Richard: When did you come here? Alexandra: Three months ago. Richard: Your English is very good. Alexandra: Thanks. I studied English in school.【语言点精讲】1. Can I help you? 在为别人提供帮助前,我们可以说 Can I help you? 也可以说 Let me...(让我,允许我),如本文中,Richard 对 Alexandra 说&Hey, let me take your picture!& 但是这种说法没有 Can I...的礼貌程度高。 如果我们愿意接受帮助,则可以回答&Oh, please.& 或者&Yes, please.&。也可以像 Alexandra 那样很可爱的讲&Wonderful. Please.&2. Great! / Terrific! / Nice! 在拍照的过程中,Mrs.Vann 母子每在他的要求下摆一个新的姿势,Richard 都会对他们的配合给予肯定。他用到的&Great! Terrific! Nice!& 都是用来表示“太好了,好极了,很好”的意思。3. We'll be looking for your book. 这里的 look for 是寻找的意思。4. My pleasure. / You're welcome. 当别人对你表示感谢时,可以用&My pleasure.&或者&You're welcome.&来进行回应。ACT 1-3 “ 你想来点咖啡吗?”【故事梗概】 在交谈中,Alexandra 表示希望了解一下 Richard 的书。于是 Richard 向她展示了自己为这本书拍的一些照片。同时,Richard 也向 她展示了自己家人的照片。下面,上音频~~Richard: Your English is very good. Alexandra: Thanks. I studied English in school. Richard: Would you like some coffee? Alexandra: No, thank you. Tell me about your book. Richard: Oh, it's not finished yet, but I have some of the pictures. Would you like to see them? Alexandra: Yes, I'd like that. Richard: Here they are. Family Album, U.S.A.. It's an album of pictures of the United States: the cities, the special places, and the people. And these are pictures of people working: steel workers, bankers, police, street vendors, ambulance drivers, doctors...Oh, this is my father. He's a doctor. This is my mother. Alexandra: What's her name? Richard: Ellen. My younger brother, Robbie. He goes to high school. This is my sister Susan. She works for a toy company. Here's my grandfather. He lives in Florida. And this is my wife Marilyn. Alexandra: Oh, she's very pretty. Richard: Thanks.【语言点精讲】1. Would you like some coffee?Would you like...相当于“你想要...吗?”,在客气地请对方做某事或请客时用。 如本文中,Richard 问 Alexandra“想来一点咖啡吗”,他说 &Would you like some coffee?& 在谈到自己的书 Family Album, U.S.A.时,他问对方“想要看一看吗”,&Would you like to see them?& 如果我们不想接受,就说&No, thank you.& 如果愿意接受,则说&Yes. I'd like that.& 或者&Yes. Please.&2. Here they are.把东西给别人看时用。单数时用 Here it is. 3. Thanks.在本情境中出现的两次&Thanks&都是对于别人赞美的回应。 称赞对方,或对方的家人,是美国人很重要的一种社交习惯,被人称赞时,要表示乐于接受并愉快地感谢,不要急于否认或自贬,也不 要表现得扭捏不安。所以无论是人家说你的英语好--&Your English is very good.&,还是称赞你的夫人很漂亮--&Oh, she's very pretty.&,都不必不好意思,只要说声 &Thank you& 就可以了。ACT 1-4 “ 很高兴认识你。”【故事梗概】Richard 问到了 Alexandra 的家庭及个人情况。 在交谈中, Richard 突然想起了与自己的妻子还有约定, 于是与 Alexandra 匆匆告辞, 下船离开。这时 Alexandra 发现他忘了拿一个挎包。她拿起它,赶紧追他……Richard: And what about your family? Alexandra: They're in Thessaloniki. That's a large city in northern Greece. But now I'm living in the Bronx. Richard: With a Greek-American family? Alexandra: No. Hispanic. Richard: Oh no! It's five thirty. Will you excuse me? I have to meet my wife. Alexandra: It was nice meeting you. Richard: It was a pleasure meeting you, too. Thanks for your help. And good luck! I've got to go. By the way. I'm Richard. What's your name? Alexandra: Alexandra. Richard: Bye-bye, Alexandra.Thanks. Alexandra: Bye-bye. Richard! Richard! You left your bag.【语言点精讲】1. And what about your family? What about…在这里用以询问别人的情况,相当于 Tell me about… 2. the Bronx 是纽约市的五个行政区之一。另外的四个如下: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island3. Hispanic 意思是西班牙语系的,西班牙的。Alexandra 和一个讲西班牙语的家庭一起生活。4. It was nice meeting you. / It was a pleasure meeting you. 很高兴认识你。与新朋友第一次见面时可用此用语告别。5. I've got to go. 这句表达的意思是“我必须得走了”,与 I must go, I must be off 之类的告别语同义。6. By the way… 此短语在转换话题或者作补充说明时用,相当于汉语中的“顺便说一下……” 。ACT 2-1 “ 能告诉我怎么去弗代尔镇林肯大街吗?”【故事梗概】Alexandra 想把 Richard 忘下的包还给他。包上挂着 Richard 的住址牌,Alexandra 向一位警察询问该怎样去那里。警察叮嘱 Alexandra 要坐 1 路地铁,可是她却仍然坐错了车。Alexandra: Excuse me, officer. Can you help me? Policeman: Sure. Alexandra: Can you tell me how to get to Linden Street, in Riverdale? Policeman: &Richard Stewart, 46 Linden Street, Riverdale, New York.& You should take the number one subway. Alexandra: Is there a station near here? Policeman: Yes. The station's that way. You should take the number one train to Van Cortlandt Park. Alexandra: Number one train to Van Cortlandt Park. Thank you. Policeman: Anytime. Good luck. Remember, the number one train. The uptown platform. Alexandra: Thank you. Policeman: You're welcome. 【语言点精讲】1. Excuse me, officer. Can you help me? 当我们向别人寻求帮助时,可以说 Excuse me. Can you help me?(劳驾,可以帮个忙吗?) 本文中的 officer,是指 police officer,即警官。2. Can you tell me how to get to Linden Street, in Riverdale? &Can you tell me how to get to ...? &可以用来向别人问路,意思是“您能告诉我怎么才能到达某某地点吗?”3. 46 Linden Street, Riverdale, New York. 这是一般地址的说法。地点由小到大排列。4. Anytime. 在你为别人做了某事后别人向你道谢时回答 Anytime,相当于 You are welcome anytime.5. Good luck. 祝你好运。一般用于与人分手时,回答也用 Good luck.6. uptown platform 北线月台。在纽约,地铁线有 uptown 北线(向北驶)和 downtown 南线(向南驶)之分,在每个地铁站口都有标志。ACT 2-2 “ 你穿上它好极了。”【故事梗概】在一家时装店里,Richard Stewart 的妻子 Marilyn Stewart 正在接待一位女性顾客。请听她们的对话:Customer: Is this pink too bright for me? Marilyn: Mmm-hmm. It is a very bright pink. Try this. It's size eight. Customer: But I wear size ten. Marilyn: How about green? It's size ten. Customer: Let me try it on. I'm taking too much of your time. Marilyn: It's six o'clock. Where's my husband? I was expecting him here at five forty-five. Customer: Don't worry. The traffic is very heavy at this hour. Marilyn: I know. But we're going to be late for dinner. Customer: I'll take this green sweater. I like the color on me, don't you? Marilyn: I think it looks terrific on you.【语言点精讲】1. Let me try it on. Let me... 让我...,允许我...。注意在说这两个字时,这位顾客使用的是口语音:Lemme...这里 let 的 t 因为连读而失去了爆破。 try (it) on 试穿。2. I was expecting him here at five forty-five. 我本来指望他可以 5 点 45 分到这里的。Expect 是“期望,盼望某事发生”的意思。当我们盼望一个朋友来,等一个电话,等一封信时都 可以使用 expect.3. The traffic is very heavy at this hour. 这个时间交通很拥挤。heavy 在这里形容交通繁忙,拥堵。4. I think it looks terrific on you. 我觉得你穿上它好极了。美国人在赞美别人的时候,喜欢用一些比较夸张的形容词。像在本情境中,女性顾客试穿了一件绿色的毛衣, 她对 Marilyn 说&I like the color on me, don't you?&(我觉得我穿这颜色不错,你说呢?)Myrilyn 用了这个&terrific&,来赞美她 穿这件衣服看起来“好极了,棒极了,简直没治了”。ACT 2-3 “ 我实在太感谢你为我所做的这一切了。”【故事梗概】Richard 赶到了 Marilyn 工作的时装店。他告诉妻子自己的包忘在了渡轮上。Marilyn 在查号台查询了渡轮失物招领处的电话号码并给 失物招领处打了电话。她被告知没有人拾到 Richard 丢失的包。Richard: I'm sorry I'm so late. I had a really bad day. Marilyn: It's ten after six. We're late. Robbie's cooking tonight, and dinner's at six thirty. Richard: I know. I know. I'm really sorry. I left my bag of film on the ferry. I went back for it, but the ferry was gone. I lost a whole day's work. Marilyn: I'll call the Staten Island Ferry lost-and-found office. Richard: I didn't think of that. Thanks. Marilyn: Hello. Yes. The number, please, of the Staten Island Ferry lost-and-found office. Five five five... zero eight zero eight. Thank you. Richard: I really appreciate it, Marilyn. Marilyn: Hello. Did anyone find a camera bag this afternoon, a small canvas bag, on the J. F. Kennedy Ferry? No? Maybe someone will find it. The name is Stewart, Richard Stewart. And the telephone number is five five five... three oh nine oh. Thank you. Sorry, Richard. They don't have it. Richard: Thanks, anyway. There was a girl on the ferry. Now maybe... Marilyn: Tell me about it on the way home.【语言点精讲】1. I had a really bad day. 我今天真是糟透了。我今天可不顺了。2. I'll call the Staten Island Ferry lost-and-found office. 我来给斯塔滕岛渡船失物招领处打个电话。lost-and-found office 是指失物招领处。美国的许多公共场所或公园都设有失物招领处,失 主可直接与之联系。3. I didn't think of that.Thanks. 美国人即使是在亲人之间,也是谢谢不离口。 当 Marilyn 想到要给失物招领处打电话这个主意后,Richard 立即表达了感激之情 -- &I didn't think of that.Thanks.&(我就没想到 这个,谢谢。) 这里的 think of 相当于“记起,想到”。 随后,Marilyn 给查号台打电话查询斯塔滕岛渡船失物招领处的电话。面对妻子的帮助,Richard 又一次致谢--&I really appreciate it, Marilyn.&(我实在太感谢你为我所做的这一切了,Marilyn。)4. The number, please, of the Staten Island Ferry lost-and-found office. The number, please, of the...请告诉我...的电话号码。用此来向查号台询问电话号码。 5. small canvas bag 小的粗帆布包。这里用了两个形容词来修饰 bag 一词:small 指尺寸;canvas(粗帆布)指材料。一般形容词的排列顺序是表示尺寸的 放在前,表示材料的放在后。6. Thanks, anyway. 无论如何,我还是要谢谢你。当有人尽力想帮你但没帮上忙时可用此短语道谢。ACT 3-1 “没什么。我们有很多冰淇淋呢。”【故事梗概】在 Stewart 家,晚饭前,Richard 的父亲 Philip Stewart 在和他的一个病人的家属通电话。电话后,他和妻子 Ellen Stewart 在谈论 即将开始的晚饭。随后,Stewart 一家在一起吃由 Richard 的弟弟 Robbie 做的晚饭。Robbie 忘记准备甜点了,Ellen 建议用冰淇淋 作为甜点。Philip: And give her a teaspoon of the medicine after every meal. Don't worry. She'll be fine. You're welcome. Good-bye. Ellen: How are you? Philip: I'm tired and hungry. Ellen: Well, Marilyn and Richard called. They'll be here soon, and then we'll eat. Philip: All right. Is ... is Susan coming? Ellen: Well, she'll be here later. She has to work late tonight. Philip: And what's Robbie cooking for dinner? Ellen: It's a surprise. Philip: I hope it's pasta.Philip: Robbie, the dinner was terrific. Susan: Yes, it was delicious. Marilyn: What's for dessert ? Robbie: Oh, I forgot dessert. Philip: Robbie! Ellen: Don't worry. We've got lots of ice cream. Richard: Oh, I'd love some ice cream. Ellen: Well, there's chocolate and coffee and a little vanilla. Robbie: I'll have vanilla. Is that all right with everyone? Philip: I like chocolate. Marilyn: Me, too. Richard: Uh, one scoop of coffee and one scoop of chocolate for me. Ellen: Robbie, will you help me serve ?【语言点精讲】1. And give her a teaspoon of the medicine after every meal. 每顿饭后给她喝一茶匙那种药。teaspoon 是在喝茶或者咖啡时,用以搅拌或往里面加糖的小匙。2. Well, she'll be here later. She has to work late tonight. Later 是“随后,稍后”的意思。Late 则是指“迟的,晚的”3. Don't worry. We've got lots of ice cream. 这是 Ellen 在安慰忘记准备甜点的厨师 Robbie“没什么。我们有很多冰淇淋呢。” We've got... 是“我们有...”的意思。这里的 have got 表示“拥有,具有”,可以用 have 替换。 用来安慰别人的时候,我们可以说 &Don't worry. &,相当于汉语中的“别担心,甭急,没什么”。又如,在电话中安慰病人的家属时, Philip 说&Don't worry. She'll be fine.&(别着急,她很快就会好的。)4. Well, there's chocolate and coffee and a little vanilla. 有巧克力的,咖啡的,还有一点儿香草的(冰淇淋)。这里的&vanilla, chocolate, coffee&都是指冰淇淋的口味。5. I'll have vanilla. Is that all right with everyone? Robbie 在抢着要只剩下一点的香草冰淇淋,“我要香草的。大家不反对吧?” Robbie 做了很美味的 pasta(意大利通心粉),但却忘了 做甜食。他是晚饭的厨师,但他首先抢着要只剩下一点的香草冰淇淋。这些幽默的小细节也体现了美国人的富于诙谐的性格。6. Me, too. 我也要。在本情景中是&I'll also have chocolate ice cream.&的省略。日常生活用语中,常用这样的省略句。ACT 3-2 “是 Richard 的胶卷。我是说,Alexandra Pappas 来了。”【故事梗概】 晚饭后,Richard 还在为丢失的胶卷沮丧不已。这时,门铃响了,Robbie 去开门,发现来访的是 Alexandra。她送回了 Richard 忘记 的装胶卷的包。Richard: I keep thinking about that bag of film. Eight rolls. A whole day's work. And good stuff, too. Ellen: Don't worry, Richard. Someone will find it. Robbie: I'll get it. Hello. Alexandra: Hello. Does Richard Stewart live here? Robbie: Yes, he's my brother. I'm Robbie... Robbie, Stewart. Alexandra: I'm Alexandra Pappas. How do you do? Your brother left his bag of film on the ferry boat. I found it. Robbie: I'm really glad to see you. I mean... my brother'll be really glad to see you! Ellen: Robbie ! Who is it? Robbie: It's Richard's film! I mean, Alexandra Pappas. Come in, please. Richard: Alexandra! Alexandra: Hello, Richard. I found your bag! Richard: Oh, thank you! Thank you!【语言点精讲】1. I keep thinking about that bag of film. 我一直在想着那包胶卷。Keep doing...的意思是“一直在做...”2. good stuff 不错的东西,这里是指丢失的胶卷都是拍得很精彩的。 stuff 在口语中可以泛指任何东西,类似汉语中“东西”的概念。3. How do you do? 与人初次见面时的礼貌用语,多用于比较正式的场合。4. I'm really glad to see you. I mean... my brother'll be really glad to see you! 当我们需要纠正我们的口误时,可以使用&I mean...&(我是说) Robbie 遇到美丽的 Alexandra 时,显然有些语无伦次,把哥哥说成了自己-&I'm really glad to see you.&(我见到你真是高兴。)于 是马上改口-&I mean... my brother'll be really glad to see you!&(我是说...我哥哥见到你一定会很高兴!) 当 Ellen 问他&Who is it?&时,他又一次说错了话-&It's Richard's film! &(是 Richard 的胶卷)随后马上纠正&I mean, Alexandra Pappas.& (我是说,Alexandra Pappas 来了)ACT 3-3 “让我为你介绍一下。”【故事梗概】Richard 为 Alexandra 介绍了自己的家人并感谢她送回自己的装胶卷的包。Richard: Um... Alexandra, let me introduce you. This is my wife Marilyn. Alexandra: Richard showed me your photo. How do you do? Marilyn: Oh yes. Richard told us all about you. It's nice to meet you. Richard: And this is my mother, Ellen Stewart. Alexandra: How do you do? Richard: And my father, Dr. Philip Stewart. Philip: Nice to meet you, Alexandra. Richard: And... ah... you met Robbie. Alexandra: Yes. And you must be Susan. Hi. Susan: Hi. Welcome. Richard: I'm so glad you found the bag and took the time and trouble to return it. Alexandra: Oh, it was no trouble. I just took the wrong train. Ellen: Would you like something to eat? Alexandra: Thank you, no. I'm late for dinner at my house. I really have to go. Richard: Would you like to call home ? Alexandra: I'd appreciate that. Ellen: Please, use the phone. Alexandra: Thanks. Excuse me.【语言点精讲】1. Alexandra, let me introduce you. This is my wife Marilyn. 当我们介绍两个第一次见面的人互相认识时,可以用&Let me introduce you. This is...&(让我为你介绍一下。这位是某某某。)你也 可以用&I'd like you to meet...& 被介绍的人可以说&How do you do?& 也可以说&It's nice to meet you.& 或者&Nice to meet you.& 后面的两种说法不如&How do you do?&正式。2. I'm so glad you found the bag and took the time and trouble to return it. 我很高兴你捡到了包,而且不惜花时间和麻烦把它送还给我。 I am so glad (that) ... 表示“我真高兴...”。3. Would you like something to eat? / Would you like to call home? &Would you like sth.?&或者&Would you like to do sth.?& 用来礼貌地询问对方的意愿,是否“想要...”,或委婉地提出请求、建议、 陈述个人的想法。 Call home 指给家里打电话。4. Thank you, no. I'm late for dinner at my house. I really have to go. 美国人通常会在拒绝别人的好意的同时给出自己不能接受的理由。在本情境中,面对 Ellen 的邀请 &Would you like something to eat?& (你想吃点什么吗?) Alexandra 首先礼貌的表示拒绝 &Thank you, no.&, , 随后给出了自己的理由 &I'm late for dinner at my house. I really have to go.&(我回家吃晚饭要迟到了。我真的得马上走了。)5. Excuse me. 本文中出现的&Excuse me&相当于“对不起,失赔了”的意思,是在要离开片刻时使用的礼貌用语。ACT 3-4 “沉住气,不要激动。”【故事梗概】在 Alexandra 给寄宿家庭打电话的时候,Richard 向家人介绍了她的一些情况。Robbie 得知她住的地方离自己家很近时,表现得很兴 奋。Alexandra 打过电话后,与 Stewart 一家闲聊了一会儿。Richard: Alexandra's a high-school exchange student from Greece. Robbie: Where does she live? Richard: With a family in the Bronx. Robbie: Oh, that's not too far from here! Richard: Take it easy, Robbie. Alexandra: Thank you. I can only stay a few minutes. Ellen: Have some iced tea. Alexandra: Thanks, Mrs. Stewart. Robbie: Please sit down, Alexandra. Philip: So, you're an exchange student. Where do you go to school? Alexandra: At the Bronx High School of Science. Philip: Oh, that's a very good school. What are your favorite subjects? Alexandra: Biology and mathematics. Richard tells me you're a doctor. Philip: Yes, a pediatrician . And what does your father do? Alexandra: He's a lawyer, in Thessaloniki.【语言点精讲】1. Take it easy. 别急,别激动,沉住气。也可以说&Take things easy. & Robbie 得知 Alexandra 住得离自己家不是很远时, 表现得很兴奋。 他的哥哥 Richard 故意拉长了声对他说 &Take it easy.& (沉住气, 不要激动)2. Where do you go to school?/ What are your favorite subjects? 你在哪里上学?/ 你喜欢哪些课程? 第一次见面后,询问对方的工作或学习情况是开始交谈的典型方法。3. Biology and mathematics 两者均为学科名称。biology: 生物学。mathematics: 数学。4. Yes, a pediatrician . a pediatrician 是指 a children's doctor(儿科医生)。5. What does your father do? 你父亲做什么工作? 用这个句子来询问别人的职业,也可以说&What is your father's job?&ACT 3-5 “欢迎你随时来玩。”【故事梗概】 Alexandra 与 Stewart 一家人告别。这次,这位助人为乐的来自希腊的小美女反过来却把自己的背包忘在了 Stewart 家。Robbie: Would you like some pasta? I made it myself. It might be a little cold. Alexandra: Thanks, no. I do have to go. It was nice meeting you all. Marilyn: Well, maybe you'll come for lunch some Sunday, so we can really thank you for bringing Richard's bag back. Alexandra: Maybe. Ellen: You're welcome anytime. Philip: Good-bye. Richard: Can I drive you home? Alexandra: No, thanks. The train is just up the street. It won't take me long at all. Richard: Well, you really saved the day for me, Alexandra. Alexandra: Bye. Richard: Bye-bye. Ellen: Good night. Philip: She's a smart young lady, and very nice. Robbie: Very! Hey, she forgot her bag! Ellen: I guess we'll be seeing Alexandra again. Right, Robbie?【语言点精讲】1. I do have to go. do 在这里相当于&really&,用来加强语气。2. Maybe you'll come for lunch some Sunday. 或许哪个星期天你可以过来吃午饭。 这是在告别时表示客气的一句客套话,如诚心诚意地邀请,则须说明确切的时间。3. You're welcome anytime. 欢迎你随时来玩。这也是在告别时经常使用的一句客套话,4. You really saved the day for me . 相当于&You really helped me a lot.&(你的确帮了我的大忙。) 5. Good night. 晚安。用于下午或晚上人们相互分手告别时。6. I guess we'll be seeing Alexandra again. I guess...在这里是“我认为...”的意思,认为某事很有可能如此或会发生时用。 这里的&will/shall be doing...&,是用将来进行时来表示较强的感情,即盼望将来能做到某事,或预期将来某件事情必然会发生。【走遍美国精讲笔记】第 2 课:介绍会面 ACT 1 - 1难度:容易 作者:沪江英语 来源:沪江英语 评论:9 划词:已启用收藏听歌学英语,轻松有趣,赶快注册一起交流吧!ACT 1-1 “伍斯特大街 83 号该怎么走?”【故事梗概】Harry Bennett 在曼哈顿岛闹市区的一条街上,拿着一束鲜花。今晚他与 Susan Stewart 有一个约会。那将是他们的第一次见面。他 找不到 Susan 的公寓所在的伍斯特大街 83 号,于是他向路边的一个卖热狗的小贩问路。小贩的指点并未帮他找到目的地。他试图拨打 Susan 的电话,却打不通。之后,他又向一位女士第二次问路。Harry: Excuse me. Can you help me? Vendor: Sure, what do you want? Harry: Where is 83 Wooster Street? Vendor: That's easy. Walk to the corner. Then make a left turn . Then walk two blocks to the traffic light. Make another left to Wooster. Harry: Thank you. To the corner and then a left? Vendor: Yeah. A left. Hot dog? Only seventy-five cents. Harry: No. Thank you. I have a dinner date.Harry: 555-9470 ... and it's busy. ... Try again. 555-9470... and it's still busy. Excuse me, ma'am. I'm looking for 83 Wooster Street. Woman: Yes. Wooster Street is two blocks, and 83 is to the right, about two houses. Harry: Thank you, thank you! Woman: You're welcome.【语言点精讲】1. Excuse me. Can you help me? 劳驾,您能帮帮我吗?在想向旁人问路时,可以使用这句话来引起对方的注意。也可以只用&Excuse me.&2. Sure, what do you want? 这位小贩在这里用的是非正式的口语的读法&Sure, waddayawant.& 因为人的身份和相互关系不同,说话的礼貌程度也不一样。&What do you want?&比较礼貌的说法是&What can I do for you?&3. Where is 83 Wooster Street ? 伍斯特大街 83 号该怎么走?问路时可以说&Where is...?& (某某地点该怎么走?) 也可以说&I'm looking for...& 。 (我想找某某地点。 )4. Walk to the corner. Then make a left turn, then walk two blocks to the traffic light. Make another left to Wooster. 朝前走到转弯处,然后向左拐,走过两个街区,到红绿灯处,再往左拐就是伍斯特大街。 walk… make a left/ right turn… 沿着……走,然后朝左/右拐。这是指路常用的套语。 block: 街,街区。traffic light: 红绿灯,交通信号灯。5. Thank you. To the corner and then a left? 问路的时候,为了确保我们的理解是正确的,可以把听到的内容再重复一遍,就像这里 Harry 做得这样。6. Yeah. 这是 yes 的非正规形式,常在口语中使用。7. I have a dinner date. dinner date 是指晚餐约会。 date 通常是指男女社交性的约会。 Susan 和 Harry 原先彼此不相识, 这是他们经别人安排的第一次会面, 称为 blind date。这种约会的目的是为男女双方创造机会交往,互相深入了解。这种约会在美国十分平常,往往由亲朋好友来安排。地 点可选在餐馆,边吃边谈,所以叫 dinner date。8. Excuse me, ma'am. ma'am 是对年长女士的尊称。这个词的完整形式是 madam,但是因为 madam 这个词实在是太正式了,美国人在口语中几乎是不使 用的,倒是省略了&d&的发音的 ma'am 比较常用。另外,对年轻的女士可以称 miss,对男士则称 sir。 ACT 1-2 “让我介绍你认识一下我的嫂嫂。”【故事梗概】Harry 终于找到了 Susan 的公寓。此时 Marilyn 也在 Susan 的公寓。Susan 为他们做了相互介绍。Susan: [at the intercom] Who is it? Harry: Harry Bennett. Is this Susan? Susan: Yes, it is.Come up. I'm on the top floor.Susan: Hello, Harry. It's nice to meet you. Harry: Nice to meet you, Susan. Sorry I'm late. The traffic. The parking. I was lost. Susan: What pretty flowers! Thank you. Oh, please come in. Don't worry about being late. It's fine. Excuse the mess. I just moved here. Oh, I'd like you to meet my sister-in-law Marilyn. Marilyn Stewart, this is Harry Bennett. Harry: Pleased to meet you. Marilyn: Nice to meet you, Harry. Harry: Are we too late for our dinner reservation? Susan: No, the restaurant will hold our table. I know the owner very well. I eat there a lot.【语言点精讲】1. [at the intercom] Who is it? 当有人敲门,以及通过电话或 intercom 讲话时,我们看不到说话的对象。这时用&Who is it?&或&Who is that?&来确认对方的身份。 Intercom, 对讲机,是 intercommunication system 的缩写。在美国的一些公寓楼安装了对讲机。来访者,像 Harry 在楼外通过对 讲机与 Susan 联系,她在房间内可通过按纽把楼下大门打开,放 Harry 进来。2. Excuse the mess. 请原谅屋里不够整洁。当有人来拜访时,可以说这句话。这时有可能是房间真的不够整洁,也有可能只是出于客套。3. Oh, I'd like you to meet my sister-in-law Marilyn. Marilyn Stewart, this is Harry Bennett. 让我介绍你认识一下我的嫂嫂 Marilyn。Marilyn Stewart,这是 Harry Bennett。 在介绍两个人见面时,一般是把男子介绍给女子,把地位低的人介绍给地位高的人,把客人介绍给主人。说法是&This is...&或省去 This is 而只说一下双方姓名。被介绍的人互相说&Nice to meet you.&或&Pleased to meet you.& sister-in-law: 嫂子,大、小姑子,大、小姨子,弟媳。4. Are we too late for our dinner reservation? Reservation: 预订(席位、车、机、船票、旅馆房间等)。ACT 1-3 “电话号码是 555-17-20。”【故事梗概】Harry 向 Susan 询问将要去的饭店的电话号码。 他给家里打了个电话, 告知他的临时保姆 Betty, 如果他的女儿 Michelle 有什么急事, 可以打 5551720 找他。Harry: Do you know the phone number of the restaurant? I'd like to call home and leave the number with the baby-sitter. Susan: Sure. The number is...five five five...seventeen twenty. Harry: May I use the phone?Harry: Five five five…one seven two oh. Hello? Hi, Michelle. It's Daddy. Can I speak to Betty? I wanna to leave the phone number of the restaurant...Hi, Betty. I'll be at five five five...seventeen twenty. OK. Thanks. See you later. Well, that's done. Shall we go? Susan: I'm ready. See you later, Marilyn. Marilyn: Have a nice evening. Harry: Bye, Marilyn. Hope to see you again. Marilyn: Me, too. Have fun! Susan: Thanks. Harry: After you.【语言点精讲】1. I'd like to call home and leave the number with the baby-sitter. I'd like to…(I would like to)是较客气的表示希望或要求的说法。 baby-sitter,临时保姆。在美国,父母晚间外出时都要找自己比较熟悉的临时保姆(baby-sitter)来照看孩子,按小时付给工资。通 常他们外出前都会将所去处的电话号码留给 baby-sitter,回来后一般都要开车送他们回家。 2. five five five…seventeen twenty 5-5-5-17-20。这是念电话号码的一种形式。念完前三位号码,再两个两个地念后四位号码。3. Five five five…one seven two oh. 5-5-5-1-7-2-0。这是念电话号码的另一种形式。念完前三位号码,再一个一个地念后四位号码。4. Shall we go? 用&Shall we ...?& 来提建议,显得礼貌。5. Hope to see you again. 希望再见到你。对新朋友道别时讲的话。6. After you. 请先走。一般男士让女士先下车或先出门时讲的话。ACT 2-1 “您想吃点什么?”【故事梗概】Susan 和 Harry 去了一家 Susan 经常光顾的泰国菜餐馆。餐馆的主人 Somsak 为他们点餐。Somsak: Ah! Miss Stewart! Welcome! How are you? Susan: Fine, Somsak. And you? Somsak: Fine, thank you. Susan: This is my friend Harry Bennett. Harry: Pleased to meet you. Somsak: Very nice to meet you. Any friend of Miss Stewart's is welcome at Somsak's. Follow me, please. Harry: I like it here. Susan: I do, too. I come here often. Somsak: A special place for special people. Susan: Thank you, Somsak. Harry: Well! Nice restaurant. Somsak: Would you like something to drink? Susan: Yes, I'd like a glass of ginger ale with ice. Harry, what would you like? Harry: Do you have a dry white wine? Somsak: How about a California chablis? Harry: Chablis is fine. Somsak: What would you like to eat? Susan: I'd like the mee krob. Harry, would you like to see a menu? Harry: No, it's OK. I'll have the mee krob also. What is it? Susan: Crispy fried noodles. I love them. Somsak: May I bring you a salad? Susan: Oh yes. What do you recommend today? Somsak: I recommend rose-petal salad. Special for new friends. Susan: Rose-petal salad? Harry: Why not? Somsak: I'll take care of everything.【语言点精讲】1. A special place for special people. special people 在这儿的意思是指身分高贵,品味不俗的客人。后文中还有一句&Special for new friends.&这里的 specia 指平常不 轻易供应,特别为某人烹调的。嘴这么甜!可见这位泰国老板 Somsak 还是很会作生意的嘛~~2. Would you like something to drink? 您想喝点什么?用来询问顾客要点什么饮料。3. I'd like a glass of ginger ale with ice. 我想要一杯带冰的姜味汽水。在点菜或饮料时可以说&I'd like...&(我想要..)。另外也可以讲&I'll have...&(我要……)或者&Do you have...?&(有……吗?) ginger ale 姜味汽水,是一种用姜汁制成的不含酒精的饮料。4. How about a California chablis? 在向别人推荐某种饮品或菜肴时,可以用&How about...?&(来点……好吗?) chablis 是一种干白葡萄酒。 5. What would you like to eat? 您想吃点什么?用来询问顾客要点什么菜品。 Susan 点的&mee krob&,是泰国炒面,它是泰国的一种家常餐点。6. May I bring you a salad? &May I bring you...&(要不要来点……呢?)是向顾客推荐菜肴的另一种讲法。 在美国餐馆里,点菜的顺序一般是这样的:饮料(drinks),汤(soup),色拉(salad),主菜( entree), 甜点(dessert)。7. What do you recommend? 你今天推荐什么?当在饭店里不确定要吃什么的时候,可以这样要求侍者来给一些建议。8. Why not? 为什么不呢?表示自己赞同对方的建议。ACT 2-2 “所以我们才有缘相识。”【故事梗概】点餐之后,Susan 和 Harry 试着展开谈话。他们聊到了双方的职业。Harry 讲到他有一个 9 岁的女儿 Michelle,并给 Susan 看了女儿 的照片。Susan: I hope you're hungry. Harry: What? Oh, yes. Starving.Well, I... Susan: [at the same time] Well, I... Harry: What do you do at Universe Toy Company? Susan: I'm the vice-president of new toy development. Harry: Terrific! Susan: I know you're a CPA. Harry: That's true. Harry Bennett, certified public accountant. I love numbers. I do some work for Smith and Dale, your company's accounting firm. Susan: And so... Harry: Here we are. Susan: Yes. Harry: I have a daughter. Susan: I know. How old is she? Harry: She's nine years old. Susan: That's a nice age. What's her name? Harry: Michelle. Susan: Do you have a picture of her? Susan: She's very pretty. Harry: Thank you.【语言点精讲】1. Well, I... Well 在这里是个语气词。有一些人讲一句话的时候,因为可能要想一想才说,所以往往先说一个&Well&。Harry 和 Susan 几乎同时讲 话,他们想使气氛变得自然、松驰一些。尤其今天是他们的第一次约会。可能双方都有点紧张吧!2. I'm the vice-president of new toy development. 我是主管新玩具开发的副总裁。Susan 在这家 Universe Toy Company(宇宙玩具公司)担任重要工作,别人将新玩具的构想交给她 进行深入研究。3. CPA 是 certified public accountant 的缩写,是指有执照的会计师、职业会计师。会计师为公司处理账务报表。要成为一名会计师,须通过 政府的考试。4. And so... Here we are. 所以我们才有缘相识。 Susan 和 Harry 是通过共同的业务伙伴才有了今天这次约会。两个人初次见面,虽不拘泥于繁文缛礼,却也不能过分打听别人的隐私。 本情景中的 Susan 和 Harry 都属比较坦诚开朗的人,对白也很好地体现了分寸的掌握。ACT 2-3 “请原谅我,苏珊,可是...我得走了。”【故事梗概】开始上菜了,这时 Harry 接到了保姆打来的电话,他被告知自己的女儿 Michelle 生病了。他向 Susan 表达了歉意后提前离开。 Somsak: Rose-petal salad. And there's a phone call for you, Mr. Bennett. Harry: Excuse me, Susan. Susan: I hope nothing is wrong. Somsak: I'll get the rest of the dinner. Excuse me. Harry: Please forgive me, Susan, but...I have to leave. I feel terrible, but... Susan: What's the matter? Harry: My daughter isn't feeling well. Susan: Oh no! Is it serious? Harry: I don't know. The baby-sitter says she has a stomachache, and she's crying. I'll have to go home. Will you forgive me? Susan: Of course. I'm so sorry for Michelle. And you didn't have a chance to eat. Harry: Oh, it's OK. Let me take you home first. Susan: No, no. Please, go ahead. Harry: It's our first date. Susan: We'll make another. Please don't worry. Harry: I'll phone you. Susan: I hope your daughter is all right. Good-bye. Harry: Good-bye.【语言点精讲】1. There's a phone call for you. 有你的电话。2. Please forgive me, Susan, but...I have to leave. I feel terrible, but... 请原谅我,苏珊,可是...我得走了。我觉得非常抱歉,可是... Please forgive me, but...(对不起,但是...)以及 I feel terrible, but...(我感到十分抱歉,但是......)都是用来征求对方原谅时 的说法。but 后面加的是自己需要征求对方原谅的事情。3. I'll have to go home. Will you forgive me? 我不得不回家去。你能原谅我吗? 这里包含着征求对方原谅的另一种说法,即先讲需要征得谅解的事情,然后再说& Will you forgive me?&或者&Will you excuse me?& 4. What's the matter? 怎么了?发生了什么事?用来询问对方遇到了什么困难。5. Oh, it's OK. 这是很口语化的讲法。意思是“噢,没关系”,相当于&Oh, it's all right. &6. Please, go ahead. 在这里的意思是“你先走吧。”7. I hope your daughter is all right. 我希望你女儿安然无恙。表示一种祝愿。 在 Susan 听说有 Harry 的电话后,她先后还讲了下面几句话表示关心和祝愿: I hope nothing is wrong. (我希望没事。) Oh, no! Is it serious? (糟糕,严重吗?) I'm so sorry for Michelle. (我真为 Michelle 难过。)ACT 3-1 “你觉得他怎么样?”【故事梗概】Harry 离开后,Susan 把他们点的饭菜打包回家里和 Marilyn 共享。她和 Marilyn 一边吃东西,一边谈论 Harry。虽然 Harry 在第一 次约会时就中途离开,Susan 却对他的印象不错。突然,有人敲门,来访者居然是 Harry。Marilyn: What happened? Susan: The baby-sitter called. His daughter is sick. Marilyn: What's wrong? Susan: I think she has a stomachache. He's a good father. Marilyn: So...what do you think of him? Susan: He's very nice. But I think he was nervous tonight. It was his first date in two years. Marilyn: Will you see him again? Susan: I hope so. Marilyn: This food is delicious. Susan: He didn't get a thing to eat. Marilyn: You ordered enough for three or four people, but I'm not complaining. The food is delicious. Susan: Who is that? Marilyn: Do you think it's... Susan: No. [She goes to the door and looks through the peephole] You won't believe it, Marilyn! Marilyn: I believe it. Even without looking.【语言点精讲】1. What happened? 怎么了?出什么事了?Marilyn 随后问的 &What's wrong?&也是同样的意思。2. What do you think of him? 你觉得他怎么样?Marilyn 实际想知道 Susan 对 Harry 的印象。 这里的&think of&是“对…有(某种)看法”的意思。3. I hope so. 我希望如此。在这里相当于&I hope to see him again. &(我希望还能见到他。)4. He didn't get a thing to eat. 相当于 &He didn't eat anything.&(他什么也没吃。)Susan 鼓励 Harry 回家去照顾生病的女儿在先,又惦念他未吃饭。注意她在说 这句话时的语气,关心挂念的心情溢于言表。5. I'm not complaining. 我不在意。常在非正式场合使用。也可以说&It's not a problem for me.&6. Do you think it's... Marilyn 想说的是&Do you think it's Harry?&(会不会是 Harry?),Marilyn 期待着 Susan 来回答,所以她省略了句子的后一半。7. You won't believe it. 你简直无法相信。用以表现一种惊讶的情绪。也可以说&You can't imagine it.&ACT 3-2 “抱歉,我失陪了。”【故事梗概】 Susan 把 Harry 请入房间,Harry 加入了她和 Marilyn 的晚餐。随后,Marilyn 知趣的起身告辞,留给 Susan 和 Harry 一段独处的时 间。Harry: Hi! Susan: How... ? Harry: Your downstairs neighbor let me in. Susan: Did you go home? Harry: I did, but everything is OK, so I decided to come back. To apologize for leaving so early, I brought you a little gift. It's a bonsai tree for your new apartment. Hi, Marilyn. I hope it's not too late. Marilyn: Oh, not at all. We're still eating. Susan: Please, come in. Join us. It's our meal from the restaurant. And how is your daughter? Harry: Oh, she's fine. It was only a tummy ache. Susan: It's good that you went back. Harry: Yes, I think it's important for me to be there since her mother died. Susan: I agree. Aren't you hungry? Harry: As a matter of fact... I am hungry. Marilyn: There's lots of food left. Harry: Mmm, this is delicious! Susan: Enjoy! Marilyn: I'm going to excuse myself. I have a lot of work to do to get ready for tomorrow. Good night, Harry. It was nice meeting you. Harry: Bye, Marilyn. Marilyn: Good night, Susan. Susan: Good night, Marilyn.【语言点精讲】1. How...? 这句话实际上要问&How did you go inside the building? & Harry 明白 Susan 要问什么,所以没等 Susan 说完,他已回答了&Your downstairs neighbor let me in.&(你楼下的邻居放我进来 的。) 2. To apologize for leaving so early, I brought you a little gift. 为了就早走了一步向你道歉,我给你带来一件小小的礼品。 To appologize for... 为了就某事道歉...3. It's a bonsai tree for your new apartment. bonsai tree 是指“盆栽,盆景”。 美国人有时喜欢送给朋友一盆绿色的盆景来向朋友表示希望友谊长存。4. I think it's important for me to be there since her mother died. 我认为我在场是很重要的,因为她母亲不在了。 since 在这里是“因为,由于,既然”的意思。5. Aren't you hungry? 你一定饿了吧?因为 Susan 知道 Harry 没有吃晚饭,所以她没有问&Are you hungry?&,而是用了反问句,意思相当于 You must be hungry.6. There's lots of food left. 在口语中,以 There 开始,表示“有...”的句子,常用单数形式 there's,尽管后面接的有可能是复数名词。这是语言自然演变所致。书 面语中仍宜区分。7. I'm going to excuse myself. 抱歉,我失陪了。相当于&Sorry, I have to leave.& Marilyn 想让 Susan 和 Harry 有单独交谈的机会。句中&be going to do&表示比较短时期内的未来可以推定会发生的事或预订要做的 事。ACT 3-3“ 你生活中还有别的女人吗?”【故事梗概】客厅里只留下了 Susan 和 Harry,他们的谈话涉及到了更多的私人问题。Susan: She's going to a fashion show here in the city tomorrow. She is sleeping here so she won't have to travel from Riverdale in the morning. Harry: You two must be close. Susan: We are. The whole Stewart family is close. Harry: I like that. [Later that evening...] Harry: And then, two years ago, my wife died. Susan: You miss her. Harry: I do...yes, but I have Michelle...and with time... Susan: Is there anyone else in your life? Harry: No, not yet. What about you? Susan: Oh, I date occasionally, but my work keeps me busy.【语言点精讲】1. She's going to a fashion show here in the city tomorrow. be going to 表示在最近的将来预定或按计划要作的事。fashion show: 时装表演。2. You two must be close. 你们两个一定很要好。must be 表示一种肯定的推测。close 在这里的意思是“亲密的,关系好的”。3. I have Michelle...and with time... &and with time...& 随着时间的流逝,相当于&as time goes by.&4. Is there anyone else in your life? 这句话是在委婉的问& Do you have a special woman or girlfriend in your life? &(你生活中还有别的女人吗?)5. What about you? 你呢?这句话通常用来反问对方。 在本语境中, 意思是&Do you have a special man or boy friend in your life?& (你有没有男朋友?)6. Oh, I date occasionally, but my work keeps me busy. 噢,我偶尔也和人约会,可是我工作太忙了。 keep+宾语+宾语补足语,使...处于某种状态(情况)。用作宾语补足语常见的词有现在分词、过去分词、形容词、副词以及介词短语。ACT 3-4“这是不是说我以后可以再见到你?”【故事梗概】 Harry 和 Susan 聊到了半夜。Harry 起身告辞。在 Harry 离开前,Susan 给出了希望进一步交往下去的暗示。Harry 在离开时撞倒了 Susan 放在门外的雨伞架。Harry: Ooh, speaking of keeping busy -I have an early start tomorrow, and the baby-sitter has to get home. Where did the time go? It's midnight. Thank you,Susan. I had a nice evening. Susan: Me too, Harry. Harry? Harry: Yes? Susan: I'd like to meet your daughter someday. Harry: Does that mean that I can see you again? Susan: Of course. Harry: Wonderful. I'll call you, and we'll go out to dinner. Susan: Please do. Harry: I promise I won't leave early. Susan: It was for a good reason. Harry: You know something? Susan: What? Harry: I think we're going to be good friends. Good night, Susan. Susan: Good night, Harry. Have a safe trip home.Susan: Are you all right? Harry: Sorry. Susan: I never liked that umbrella stand. Good night, Harry.【语言点精讲】1. Ooh, speaking of keeping busy... speaking of,提到。用以转换话题的惯用语。2. Where did the time go? 时间到哪里去了?时间过得真快。 3. Does that mean that I can see you again? 这是不是说我以后可以再见到你? &Does that mean that ...?&(这是不是不说...?这是不是意味着...?)用来向别人确认一件事或者一种说法。4. You know something? 这是一种引起话题的说法。意思为“你知道吗?我想告诉你一件事。” 这句话是&Do you know something?&的口语形式。5. I think we're going to be good friends. be going to do,将会,表示比较短时期内的未来可以推定会发生的事或预订要做的事。 注意 Harry 的发的是它的口语音:gonna6. I never liked that umbrella stand. 我一直不大喜欢那个伞架。 如果有人不小心碰倒或摔坏了我们的东西,我们常讲: &I never liked it.& 或 &I never liked it anyway.&,为的是让对方不感到太尴 尬。如果客人吃饭时摔了盘子,我们可以说: &I never liked that dish anyway.& umbrella stand: 伞架。走遍美国精讲笔记】第 3 课:祖父的行李箱 ACT 1 - 1难度:容易 作者:沪江英语 来源:沪江英语 评论:8 划词:已启用收藏看美剧《吸血鬼日记》学英语,马上注册交流学习吧!ACT 1-1 “我们要去车站接他吗?”【故事梗概】早上,在 Stewart 家的厨房,Ellen 和 Marilyn 正在厨房里准备早饭。她们兴奋地谈到祖父即将从佛罗里达州到达的事并决定上楼去为 他布置房间。这时 Richard 和 Robbie 走进了厨房。Ellen: Marilyn, you want coffee or tea? Marilyn: Coffee, please. Ellen: I am so excited! At this time tommorrow morning Grandpa will be sitting in the kitchen with us. Marilyn: When does he arrive? Ellen: At six o'clock this evening. Marilyn: By plane? Ellen: No, by train. Marilyn: Are we picking him up at the station? Ellen: Not Grandpa. He doesn't want anybody picking him up. He likes to be independent. Marilyn: Huh. Ellen: Oh, let's go upstairs and prepare Grandpa's room. Marilyn: Great! Let's do it! Richard: Good morning, Mom. Robbie: Morning. Ellen: Well, hi, fellas. Richard: Hello. Marilyn: Hi, honey. Richard&Robbie: Morning, Marilyn. Marilyn: We're going upstairs to set up Grandpa's room. There's coffee ready.【语言点精讲】1. You want coffee or tea? 你要咖啡还是要茶?是&Do you want coffee or tea?&的非正式说法。 这是选择疑问句。注意 Ellen 使用了先升后降的语调,即连词 or 前面的部分用升调,后面的部分用降调。2. At this time tommorrow morning Grandpa will be sitting in the kitchen with us. will be sitting: 将坐在。动词的将来进行时可表示在将来某一时刻或某段时间正在进行的动作。3. When does he arrive? 他什么时候到?一般现在时可表示安排或计划好的将来的动作(常用 come, go, arrive, leave 等动词)。4. By plane? -- No, by train. by plane,乘飞机。by train,乘火车。用介词 by 表示交通方式,又如: by boat(乘船),by bus(乘公共汽车),by taxi(乘出 租汽车)。 5. Are we picking him up at the station? 我们要去车站接他吗? pick sb. up: 用车来接某人。pick up 是短语动词。短语动词是由动词与介词或副词组成的固定词组,又如后文出现的 set up(准备, 收拾)也是短语动词。6. Well, hi, fellas. fella(小伙子,孩子,伙计),是 fellow 的非正式场合的用语。ACT 1-2 “我希望爷爷会喜欢和我们住在一起。”【故事梗概】Richard 和 Robbie 在厨房里一边准备早饭,一边谈论性格独立的祖父。Richard 想要给他准备一份特别的欢迎礼物。Robbie: I'm really excited about seeing Grandpa. Richard: Me, too. Milk, please. Robbie: He's so funny. He always makes me laugh. I hope Grandpa's going to like living with us. Richard: I think he will. It just takes time to feel comfortable in a new place. Robbie: Won't he miss being in Florida? Richard: Well, he will. But I think he'll like being here with the family. Robbie: Are you sure about that? It's crazy here most of the time. Richard: But it's fun. Robbie: That's for sure. Richard: You know, maybe I'll put together some photos of Grandpa as a &welcome& present. Robbie: That's a neat idea. What can I do? I've got it! I have a picture of Grandpa and Dad and me in my wallet. It's from the Fathers and Sons' Breakfast at my junior high school graduation. Richard: Oh, I remember this picture. Robbie: I'd really like to pick up Grandpa at the railroad station. Richard: Railroad stations or airports - Grandpa always tells us he'll get here by himself. Robbie: He's something!【语言点精讲】 1. He's so funny. He always makes me laugh. 如强调的是现在仍是如此的情况或习惯,一般用属于现在范畴的时态,如: He's so funny. He always makes me laugh.(他真逗,他总是引得我笑。) It's crazy here most of the time.(咱家总是这样乱哄哄的。) Grandpa always tells us he'll get here by himself.(爷爷总是对我们说他会自己到家。)2. I hope Grandpa's going to like living with us. like 表示喜欢一种经常性行为或状况时,后面用动名词(doing),如: I hope Grandpa's going to like living with us.(我希望爷爷会喜欢和我们住在一起。) But I think he'll like being here with the family.(可是我认为他会喜欢在这儿和全家人在一起。) 但表示喜欢一个一次性的行为时则用动词不定式(to do),如 Robbie 说的: I'd really like to pick up Grandpa at the railroad station.(我真想到火车站去接爷爷。)3. That's for sure. 那倒是,我同意你的看法。这是一种口语式的表达方式。4. That's a neat idea. 那是个好主意。这里 neat 相当于&great, fine&,这是一种口语式的表达方式。5. I've got it! I have a picture of Grandpa and Dad and me in my wallet. 注意&Grandpa and Dad and me&中人的排列顺序。在说话的时候,如果同时提到几个人,应该是年长的在前,年幼的在后。如果同 时说到自己和别人,应该是别人在前,自己在后。6. the Fathers and Sons' Breakfast 许多美国中学每年都要给学生安排一次“父子餐”活动。这一天父亲专门到学校来跟孩子一起共进早餐、午餐或晚餐,并一起拍照纪念。7. He's something! 他很了不起!他是个人物!这里的 something 相当于&great, wonderful&,这是一种口语的用法。ACT 1-3 “我们正在纳闷这大箱子里是什么。”【故事梗概】Ellen 和 Marilyn 在楼上布置祖父的房间。Philip 拿过来几个自己最好的衣架。祖父已经先把自己的大行李箱托运了回来,它是锁着的。 大家很好奇行李箱里装的是什么。 Marilyn: Is this all Grandpa's stuff? Ellen: That's it. But I'm sure he has a few bags with him on the train. Marilyn: What's inside? Ellen: I don't know. It's locked. Philip: Hi. Ellen: Oh, hi, darling. Marilyn: Morning, Philip. Philip: I want to put some of my good hangers in Grandpa's closet.You know I'm very excited about his arrival. Ellen: We are, too. Susan called early this morning. She's unhappy because she's had to go to Chicago on a business trip and can't leave till tonight. She wants to be here for Grandpa. Philip: Well, Grandpa will be disappointed, too. He loves Susan. She always reminds him of Grandma. Well, how's everything here? Marilyn: Fine. We were just wondering about this trunk. Ellen: It's locked. Philip: Oh, I have the key. Grandpa sent it to me.【语言点精讲】1. That's it. 是的,用来表示赞同。2. But I'm sure he has a few bags with him on the train. 可是我肯定他在火车上还带着几个旅行包。 I'm sure (that) ...的意思是“我肯定...,我确定...”,用以发表自己的意见或信念,表示对...有把握。 bags 在这里是指手提箱、小件行李,而 trunk 则是指大箱子。3. We are, too. 是&We are also very excited.&的意思。当 too 在句尾时,有时不必重复它前面的每个词。 又如: &Ellen wants to prepare Grandpa's room, and Marilyn does, too.& 在这一句中 does 指&wants to prepare Grandpa's room&。 4. She's unhappy because she's had to go to Chicago on a business trip and can't leave till tonight. 她很不高兴,因为她不得不出差到芝加哥去,直到今天晚上才能离开那里。 have to do sth. 不得不做某事。on a business trip 出差。till 直到,直到...为止5. She always reminds him of Grandma. 她总使爷爷想起奶奶。&remind sb of ...&是“使某人想起...”的意思。6. We were just wondering about this trunk. 我们正在纳闷这大箱子里是什么。 We were just wondering about... 是一种间接询问的方式。 wonder,想知道,纳闷。ACT 2-1 “这世界真小。”【故事梗概】在 Stewart 一家为祖父 Malcolm Stewart 的到来而兴奋的同时,Malcolm 正在一列由佛罗里达州开往纽约市的火车上。Malcolm 坐 在车厢里,一位女士 Elsa 坐到了他的旁边。他们攀谈了起来。原来 Elsa 也是来自于佛罗里达州的,并且他们的家离得不远。Elsa: Excuse me. Is this seat taken? Grandpa: No, it's not taken. Elsa: Oh, thank you. Grandpa: Oh, let me help you with this. Elsa: Oh, thank you. Grandpa: Do you want to sit by the window? Elsa: No, no, no. I like the aisle seat better. Please, you sit by the window. Grandpa: My name is Stewart…Malcolm Stewart. Pleased to meet you. Elsa: I'm Elsa Tobin. How do you do? Grandpa: Do you live in New York? Elsa: No, no. I'm from Florida. Grandpa: I am, too. But didn't you just get on? Elsa: No, no. I just changed my seat. A man next to me was smoking, and smoke really bothers me. Where are you from in Florida? Grandpa: Titusville. It's near Orlando. Elsa: Small world. I'm from Titusville, too. Grandpa: Really? What part? Elsa: My husband and I live near Spaceport. Grandpa: I know that area. My house is only a few miles from Spaceport. Do you still live there? Elsa: Oh yes, yes. My husband's there now. He couldn't take time off to come to New York with me. Do you still live there? Grandpa: No. I sold the house and the furniture, put a few personal things in an old trunk, and shipped it to my children in New York. That's my destination.【语言点精讲】1. Excuse me. Is this seat taken? 对不起,这座位有人吗?在美国,如果别人身边有空位置,应征得那人的同意方能落坐。也可这样说- &Excuse me, may I take the seat?&或&Excuse me, anyone sitting here?&2. Oh,let me help you with this. 让我来帮你吧。这是主动向别人提供帮助时的说法。本情境中,祖父 Malcolm 主动帮助 Elsa 把手提箱放到了行李架上。在美国,公共 场合主动帮助女士,是男士有教养的表示。3. I like the aisle seat better. Please, you sit by the window. 我喜欢靠走道的座位。请你坐在窗边吧。 the aisle seat 靠走道的位置。by 在这里相当于&next to&。4. But didn't you just get on? 反问句&Didn't you...?&的意思是“难道你不是…?”,表示问者很有理由相信是这么一回事,相当于 &I think you..., am I right?& get on -上车,上。 get on 可用于火车、公共汽车、飞机等。5. Small world. 这世界真小。感叹语,熟人邂逅或在外乡遇见同乡人时用。也可以说&It's a small world.&6. He couldn't take time off to come to New York with me. 他脱不开身,不能和我一起上纽约来。 take time off 的意思是“不上班,不去工作,抽出时间,挤出时间”。 ACT 2-2 “说确切点,是 47 年。”【故事梗概】在火车上,祖父 Malcolm 与 Elsa 的谈话在继续。一位乘务员走过来到他们身旁,他要看看 Elsa 的车票。Elsa: Are you married? Grandpa: My wife died four years ago. She was a wonderful woman. A real friend. Elsa: I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry. Grandpa: Lots of wonderful memories. We were married almost fifty years. Well, forty-seven, to be exact. Elsa: John and I celebrate our fortieth anniversary next month. Grandpa: Oh, congratulations! That's nice. What does John do? Elsa: He's an aerospace engineer and works for Orlando Aircraft Corporation. He started with them almost forty years ago. What do you do? Grandpa: I just retired. Had my own company. A construction company. Roads, bridges, big stuff. But I just sold it and retired. Conductor: Excuse me, ma'am. Ticket, please. Elsa: Would you kindly hold these keys, please? I have a ticket, I know, I was in the smoking section. Conductor: It's OK, lady.Take your time. Grandpa: I'm sure it's in your purse, Mrs. Tobin. Elsa: Oh, here it is. Grandpa: And here are your keys. Elsa: Thank you.【语言点精讲】1. Are you married? 你结婚了吗? 动词的过去分词形态常用作形容词,放在 be 动词后面,作表语来修饰主词。如本句中的 married2. I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry. 在谈话的过程中,我们可能会谈到一些不愉快的话题,这种情况下,我们应该表示遗憾或者惋惜。如本情景中,祖父 Malcolm 谈到自己 的妻子 4 年前去世了,Elsa 女士对此的回应是- &I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry.&(我听了很难过,真的很难过。) 3. We were married almost fifty years. Well, forty-seven, to be exact. 我们结婚有差不多 50 了,呃,说确切点,是 47 年。 to be exact 确切点说,用于对刚说的话进行解释或修正。 美国人比较重视结婚纪念日,在祖父和 Elsa 的话中都谈到了自己结婚的时间。4. Congratulations! 太好了,恭喜你,祝贺你。当别人告诉你他的喜讯时,就可以向他表示祝贺,对他说&Congratulations!&5. Would you kindly hold these keys, please? 请你代我拿着这些钥匙,可以吗? &Would you kindly…?&的意思是“能麻烦您...吗?请您…好吗?”用于正式的、客气的请求别人做某事。6. Take your time. 慢慢来,别着急。ACT 2-3 “我迫不及待想见到他们。”【故事梗概】在火车上, 祖父 Malcolm 同 Elsa 女士谈到了各自去纽约市的原因。 Elsa 是要去拜访朋友, Malcolm 则要是搬去和自己的儿孙同住。 而 Malcolm 还没有决定是不是要永久住下来,他既不喜欢独自一人生活,又不想失去独立性。Grandpa: Do you have family in New York? Elsa: No, no. But I do have very close friends in New York City. We like to go to the theater together. You said you have family in New York. Grandpa: Yes, indeed. A son and his wife and their three children - my grandchildren. Elsa: You must be excited. Grandpa: I can't wait to see them! Elsa: Are you going to live with them? Grandpa: Yes. Elsa: Permanently? Grandpa: Well…they want me to, but it's too early to know for sure. I'm pretty independent. I tried to teach my kids the importance of independence, but I'm not sure I want to be alone. Some people don't mind being alone. I do. Elsa: I understand. But tell me. Why did you stop working? Grandpa: I retired because …I wanted to be with my family. I didn't want to be alone anymore!【语言点精讲】1. But I do have very close friends in New York City. 可我确实有很亲密的朋友在纽约市。句中的 do 表示强调,说话时要重读。2. Yes,indeed. 对,没错。indeed 用来强调肯定的语气。3. You must be excited. 你现在一定很激动。 这里情态动词 must 加上 be,用来表示一种比较肯定的推测,“想必,一定”,而不作“必须”讲。4. I can't wait to see them! 我迫不及待想见到他们。 &can't wait to do sth.& 表示“急于做某事,迫不及待要做某事”,也可以说&can hardly wait to do sth.&5. Well…they want me to, but it's too early to know for sure. 嗯…他们要我这样,但是现在还太早,难以肯定知道。 &too...to...&的意思是“太...以至于不能...”6. Some people don't mind being alone. I do. 有些人不在乎一个人过。我不行。 这里的&mind& 表示“介意,不喜欢,讨厌,反对”等意思,后面如接动词,要用动名词形式。这里的&I do&是&I do mind being alone& 的缩略,表示“我介意,我讨厌(一个人生活)”7. Why did you stop working? 你为什么停止工作了? &stop doing& 表示停止做某事,即不再做下去。ACT 3-1 “你很幸运有关心你的家人。”【故事梗概】 火车到达了纽约市。Eisa 和祖父 Malcolm 互相告别。[On the Amtrak train later that day. The train is arriving in New York City.]Voice: Ladies and gentlemen, Amtrak is happy to announce our arrival in New York City. The train will be stopping in five minutes. Please check to be sure you have your belongings. And have a good stay in the Big Apple. Thank you.Eisa: Well, here we are. It was so nice meeting you, Mr. Stewart. Grandpa: And nice meeting you, too, Mrs. Tobin. Please look us up. We're in the phone book. Dr. Philip Stewart, in Riverdale. Eisa: Your son? Grandpa: That's right. And have a good time in New York. Eisa: And don't be so independent. You're very lucky to have a caring family.【语言点精讲】1. Amtrak Amtrak 是火车公司的名字,一般译为“美国火车公司”。是由三个词组合而成的:American, travel 和 track。2. And have a good stay in the Big Apple. 祝你在纽约过得愉快。Have a good stay in...用于祝对方来访愉快。 the Big Apple,纽约市的别称。3. Please look us up. look (us) up 相当于&call or visit (us)&,即“与(我们)联系,到(我们)家里来玩”。这个短语用来邀对方来访。4. We're in the phone book. 你可以在电话簿中找到我们(家的地址和电话号码)。美国的电话簿上不只有姓名和电话号码,还列有住址。5. And don't be so independent. You're very lucky to have a caring family. 还有,别太不依赖别人了。你很幸运有关心你的家人。这是 Eisa 的临别赠言。短暂的旅途交谈使 Eisa 洞察了 Malcolm 的心境,她临别 的赠言既率直又温情。 independent 独立的,不依赖的,有主见的。这是美国人非常重视的一种品质。 family 既是家庭,又是家里人。在从父母的角度说时,family 常指子女,如:They have a big family. (他们子女多。)看美剧学口语【6 月班】江湖上有个传说――看美剧能提高英语水平,看美剧学口语【6 月班】为你揭秘!! 适合对象:具有高中以上英语水平的同学;想要摆脱字幕畅享美剧的英语爱好者;想要透过经典美剧了解西方文化的同学;美剧粉丝达 人。ACT 3-2 “这照片使我想起了过去的岁月。”【故事梗概】在 Stewart 家的客厅里,一家人在和祖父 Malcolm 交谈。在家中 Malcolm 受到了儿孙两代人的热烈欢迎,惟一的遗憾是没有见到酷似 故去的祖母的孙女 Susan.Robbie: When can we go fishing? Grandpa: Robbie, we'll go fishing soon, and we'll take your dad with us. Philip: I'm ready, Grandpa. You name the day. Ellen: That's a great idea, Grandpa! Philip needs a day off. Robbie: Let's give him our presents - now. Richard: Good idea. Grandpa: Presents - for me? Richard: From me and Marilyn. Robbie: And this one's from me. I looked all over the house to find it. Grandpa: Richard, these are terrific pictures. This one really brings back memories. You remember that day, Robbie? Robbie: I sure do. It was fun. Grandpa: Oh, I'm sorry Susan isn't here. I miss her very much. Ellen: She feels bad, too, Grandpa. She called to say the plane was delayed. You know airports. Grandpa: I can't wait to see her. She looks just like Grandma at that age.【语言点精讲】 1. You name the day. 你说哪天吧。 name 用做动词时, 在口语中常用于提出建议, 做出安排或说出什么的名字。 又如: Name the place, and we'll be there. (你说哪里,我们就去哪里。) He named a Price.(他开了个价。)2. Philip needs a day off. a day off 休息一天,休一天假。3. Let's give him our presents - now. 咱们把礼物给他吧――现在就给。 美国人有时喜欢送给久别重逢的亲友一个 welcome present 表示对他们的欢迎。所以 Stewart 一家送给 Grandpa family's welcome present 来表示他们对他的爱。4. I looked all over the house to find it. 我在家里找了个遍才找到的。 all over the house 指屋子里的每个角落。5. This one really brings back memories. bring back memories (使我想起了过去的岁月)。用来表达一种怀旧的感情。6. I can't wait to see her. She looks just like Grandma at that age. 我迫不及待地想见到她,她长得和她奶奶在她那个年龄时一样。 can't wait to do sth. 迫不及待地想做某事 look just like... 看起来就和...一样ACT 3-3 “这是我们家的家谱”【故事梗概】祖父感到累了,他想要休息了。Ellen 和 Philip 陪他去了他的房间。祖父打开了自己寄来的大行李箱,并拿出了自己制作的家谱送给了 自己的儿子和儿媳。出差的 Susan 赶了回来,她冲进了祖父的房间。 Grandpa: I'd better unpack. I started traveling twenty-four hours ago. I'm not so young anymore. Ellen: Don't you want something to eat? Grandpa: No, thanks. After a good night's sleep, I'll enjoy breakfast even more. Philip: Well, come on, Dad. Ellen and I'll take you to your room. Robbie: I'm sure glad you're here, Grandpa. Richard: Good night, Grandpa. Marilyn: Pleasant dreams. Grandpa: Philip, do you have the key to the trunk? Philip: I have the key, but it doesn't work. Grandpa: I sent the wrong key. I have something for you. I made it myself. I think you'll enjoy it. I researched it for over a year. It's our family tree. Ellen: Oh, Grandpa! How exciting! Philip: Fabulous! Why, I didn't know that your grandfather was born in Germany. Grandpa: Lots of interesting information about our family. A gift from me. Ellen: Thank you so much. Susan: Grandpa! Grandpa! Oh, Grandpa, I'm so happy to see you! Grandpa: Oh, you look so beautiful, Susan. My granddaughter. Like I always said, you look just like Grandma. Philip: I think you're going to be very happy here with us. Ellen: I know you will. Grandpa: I don't feel alone anymore.【语言点精讲】1. I'd better unpack. I'd better do sth. 我最好做某事 unpack: 打开(行李等),是反义前缀 un 加上动词 pack 构成的。2. Pleasant dreams. 做个好梦,在别人准备就寝前的道别语。亦说 &Sweet dreams.&3. I have the key, but it doesn't work. 钥匙在我这儿,但它打不开。 work 的意思是“起作用,行得通,有效”,是不及物动词,不带宾语。 4. It's our family tree. family tree: 家谱,家族的历史。 美国人现在流行写“家谱”,甚至有专门的公司帮助寻找家谱。5. Fabulous! 太好了。这是口语用法。 美语中说某物很好,有不少夸张性的说法,如:wonderful,marvelous,fantastic,terrific 以及这里出现的 fabulous 等。其中除 了 wonderful 外,都不宜用于正式场合,因为不免有些孩子气。另外,注意 terrible 是很糟糕的意思,请不要与 terrific 混淆。6. Why, I didn't know that your grandfather was born in Germany. Why: 你看。 这里的 why 不是疑问词,而是用在句首表示惊讶的情绪。7. Like I always said, you look just like Grandma. 我一直这么说,你长得像奶奶。 Like I always said: 就像我一直说的那样。这是一种比较口语的说法,在书面的较正式的语言中,通常不用 like 而用连词 as。【走遍美国精讲笔记】第 4 课:没问题 ACT 1 - 1难度:容易 作者:沪江英语 来源:沪江英语 评论:16 划词:已启用收藏听歌学英语,轻松有趣,赶快注册一起交流吧!ACT 1-1 “没问题,小事一桩。”【故事梗概】星期五傍晚,从有氧运动高级班回来的 Marilyn 一进屋就一屁股坐在地板上。她累坏了。她告诉 Richard 高级班的运动强度很大,但是 Richard 认为如果换作他,这种程度的锻炼完全是小菜一碟。Marilyn: I am exhausted. My new exercise class is so hard. Richard: Your new exercise class? Marilyn: Yeah. My new advanced exercise class. Richard: Why advanced? Marilyn: My instructor thought that the beginner's class was too easy for me. Richard: Too easy for you? Marilyn: Don't laugh. In the beginner's class, they give you a chance to rest between exercises. Richard: So? Marilyn: The advanced class is nonstop. Richard: I lift weights every morning for sixty minutes without stopping. No problem. Marilyn: Listen, Richard, doing aerobics for an hour is a lot different than lifting weights. Richard: Yeah. Quite a bit different. I think aerobics is easy. I could work out in your class with no problem. Marilyn: You think so? Richard: Oh, without a doubt. When's the next class? Marilyn: Tomorrow morning at ten o'clock. Try it. Richard: Tomorrow morning after lifting weights, I'll try aerobics. It's a snap. Tomorrow morning at ten o'clock.【语言点精讲】1. My instructor thought that the beginner's class was too easy for me. 我的教练认为初学班对我太容易了。 too+ 形容词或副词+ for sb.,表示对于某人来说是过于……了。2. No problem. &No problem.&与后文出现的&It's a snap. &都是“没问题,小事一桩”的意思,用来表示某事很容易,做起来毫无问题。3. Doing aerobics for an hour is a lot different than lifting weights. 连续做 1 小时有氧运动可跟练哑铃大不一样。 different than: 跟...不一样。这里用 different from 更规范,但很多美国人跟 Marilyn 一样,在 different 之后使用 than,这已经 成为了一种约定熟成的用法。 aerobics: (通过散步、跑步、游泳、划船、骑车、舞蹈、体操等有节奏运动等增强心肺循环功能的)有氧运动,健身操。也可以说 aerobic exercise. lift weights: 举重。在这里指练哑铃。4. I could work out in your class with no problem. 要我到你们班上去锻炼锻炼,绝不会有困难。Richard 说这话的意思是,假如有机会一试的话,即可证明我的能力。 I could...: 我可以……,我能…… work out: 这里的意思是锻炼,尤指健身、健美训练。 5. You think so? 你真的这样认为吗?当对别人的意见不能确定或赞同时,可以使用}

我要回帖

更多关于 look自行车价格表 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信