i want to have, one can not benot less or equal.

(0481)大学英语B复习思考题-共享资料网
(0481)大学英语B复习思考题
(0481) 《大学英语 B》复习思考题Part I Use of English Directions: In this part, you will read some incomplete dialogs. After each of them, there are 4 choices. Choose one best answer to complete each of them.1. Scarlet: I'd like to buy a ticket to Detroit. Clerk: Scarlet: I am not sure. What is the difference? A. Round-trip or One-way? C. What can I do for you? B. Go ahead. D. Are you living in Detroit?2.Tommy: How is everything with you? John: A. And you? C. Yeah, it?s beautiful. B. On top of the world, thanks. D. Can?t complain.3. Larry: Why not stay here a little longer? Mary: I?d love to, but I really have to go. Thank you for inviting me. Larry: A. Well, hope to see you again. C. Pleased to meet you. B. On top of the world, thanks. D. It is easy to get to your place.4. Larry: I hate the nasty weather in this season of the year. Amy: No wonder you look so depressed. Larry: Yeah, A. I can't agree more. C. Thanks for saying that. 5. Janet: Can we talk for a second? Amy: A. Sorry, I am busy at the moment. C. Sure, is there anything wrong? B. Where shall we meet? D. What can I do for you? B. I feel under the weather. D. It is none of your business.6. Jamie: I am taking my final examination tomorrow. Lily: Oh, really? A. Congratulations! C. You made it. B. Good luck! D. May I help you?7. General Manager: I think that is all for the coffee break. Stop the jokes and let us carry on with our discussion. Johnny: Okay. General Manager: Next topic is about? A. My pleasure. B. I?m glad to hear that. D. Cheers!C. Let?s get to the point. 8. Doctor:Patient: I am a teacher for a training center. Doctor: Do you often get tired? Patient: Yes, sort of. A. Where do you work? C. What is your job? B. How do you feel now? D. What is you address?9.Jack: Would you mind passing me the paper for me ,Henry? Henry: A. Sure, my pleasure. , here you are. B. Yes , I mind. D. Not at all.C. I?d like to help, but I am afraid that I can not. 10.John: Mary ,this is Joe?s brother David. Mary: I?m very glad to meet you. David: It?s a pleasure to meet you. Mary: David: It?s really different from what I expected. John: Don?t worry . You:ll get used to it in no time. A. How is Joe?B. How do you like Florida so far? D. Would you like some tea?C. Would are you doing so far?11.Jason: So, Annie, what do you do? Annie: A. I am cooking some fruit pie for the buffet. B. I am free now. What can I do for you? C. I am an actor. 12. Interviewer: Interviewee: Not at all. Go ahead please. A. What?s your major in university? B. Would you mind if I ask you several questions? C. How did you get to know our company? 13. Lisa: Ben: I have been working as an accountant for years. A. What?s your occupation? B. What?s your work? D. Why do you chose our company? D. How do you do? C. What about working for our company? D. Can you tell me where you are from? 14. Paul: Jason: Phew! These bags are so heavy that I cannot go on one more step. Paul: Just put them down. Let me open the door. A. Here you are! C. Here we are! 15.Casey: Hello? Fred: Hi, Stacey? Casey: This is Casey. Casey: Stacey, a guy. Stacey: Hello? This is Stacey speaking. Fred: This is Fred. A. You got the wrong person. B. I am not she. C. Who is this speaking? D. She is in the kitchen. Just a minute, please. B. Here it is! D. Okay, see you tomorrow.16. Susan (wife): It is a beautiful day. Let?s do something. Andy (son): Nathan(father): I?m sorry, but I?m busy today. I have to work. A. No, I am not feeling like doing anything. B. How about going to the beach together? C. I can go roller lading with Jack. D. What shall we do?17. Tom: Don?t forget to come to my birthday party tomorrow. Jim: A. I don?t . B. I won?t. C. I can?t. D. I haven?t.18. Sandy: It?s lovely today .Shall we go and play football? Bob: A. Yes, we shall. C. You are all right. When shall we meet? B. It?s very kind of you. D. That?s a good idea.19. Mary: Happy birthday to you, Kate. This is for you. Kate: A. Thank you so much. How nice of you! B. How much is it? C. Sorry, I haven?t got any gift for you. D. Oh, it?s a watch.20. Salesgirl: Good morning! What can I do for you? Customer: Yes, please. Can you suggest some light and cool material? Salesgirl: What about that white cotton T-shirt? A. How much do you sell a T-shirt? B. Have you any smaller size?C. I?m afraid this T-shirt is too big for me. D. I?d like to buy some T-shirt. 21. Lucy: Have a nice journey home and do Rose: Thank you, I certainly will. A. let me help you with your math. B. happy birthday to you . C. remember me to your mum. D. not forget to post the letter.22. Jim: Well, why not try some easier stories? Tom: Jim: Maybe you can go to the school library for help. A. I am sure these materials will improve my English. B. I really want to be the best one. How can I? C. Where can I get them? D. So I think this is the reason why we?d better use easier ones. 23. Wendy: I am going to New York for my new life. Jason: Well, A. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. B. New York is very exciting. C. That?s right. D. A very expensive place.24.Charles: How?s you aunt now? She must be well and healthy. Mary: Well, actually, she passed away two weeks ago. Charles: A. Oh, it was easy. B. Oh, I am sorry to hear that. I didn?t know.C. It is OK. Please don?t bother yourself. D. Everyone has to die some day. 25. Brad: Can you stop at the supermarket on your way home to pick up some things? Susan: Brad: It is only a few things. Can you buy some milk, some flour, and some eggs? A. Sure, I am glad to do that. C. Cool! Another party? B. Well, I?m really very busy today. D. Which supermarket?26. Henry: Hello, honey. I?m home. What?s for dinner? Wendy: It?s Monday. Sweetie. On Mondays, we have spaghetti. Remember? Henry: Spaghetti again? A. Cool, my favorite. B. I don?t want spaghetti tonight. D. Me, too.C. This is what I expected.27. Andy (father): It smells great in here. I am hungry. Susan (mother): Teddy (son): Me, too, and thirsty. A. What about you, Teddy? C. Please come with me. 28. Susan: Teddy, Teddy: My stomach hurts. I feel sick. Andy: He doesn?t look well. Maybe we should go home. A. What would you like to drink? C. What?s the matter? 29. Terry: I?m thirsty. Robert: Me, too. Terry: Let?s get something to drink. Robert: Good idea. Terry: Robert: That?s okay with me. A. Let?s go. C. Where shall we go? 30. Tom: Rose: Fine, thank you. A. How is everything with you? C. What has happened to you? 31. Terry: Will you do me a favor? Jack: Yes, A. Please. B. I?ll glad to. C. I like it. D. I?ll be glad to. B. How do you do? D. What can I do for you? B. Who will pay the bill? D. Why don?t we go to that coffee shop over there? B. What do you think of the hamburger? D. Are you full? B. You are always hungry. D. What do you want ?32. Wendy: Thank you for everything you have done for me during my stay here. John: A. All right. Good-bye. C. It?s very kind of you. B. You are welcome. D. No, thanks.33. Lily: Are you going back to your hotel, Mr. Smith? If you are, I can give you a lift. Smith: It?s very kind of you, but they?re sending a car for me. A. Thank you. C. Good-bye. 34.John: Mr. Smith: How do you do? B. See you later. D. Thank you just the same. Pierre Dubois: Hello. Mr. Smith: What?s your impression of the United States? Pierre Dubois: Well, I can?t get over how different the weather is here. Mr. Smith: Oh, you?ll get used to it soon! A. Good morning, Mr. Smith. B. Nice to meet you, Mr. Smith.C. Mr. Smith, I?d like to introduce a friend of mine, Pierre Dubois. D. What can I do for you, Mr.Smith? 35. A: Have a nice weekend! B: Thanks. You too! A: B: Well, my family?s away and I can?t afford to do much. What about you? A: Oh, I haven?t decided what I?m going to do yet. A. Where are you going? B. Can we eat rogether on the weekend? C. Do you have any plans? D. Are you going to spend the weekend with your family?36. Lisa: I I can?t find the book you want to borrow. I?ve looked for it everywhere. Jack: I am sorry to have troubled you. B. Don?t be worried. D. OK.A. It doesn?t matter.C. Thank you just the same.37. Karen: What a wonderful game! Congratulations, Ben. Ben: A. Thank you. C. The same to you. 38. Lucy: Teddy: It?s quite warm and nice. A. What?s the temperature today? C. What?s the weather today? 39. Salesgirl: What can I do for you? Customer: Would you show me some pens? Salesgirl: Certainly. What about these pens? Customer: This one looks nice. A. I?ll look for it. C. I?ll buy them. 40. Terry: Oh, hi, Caroline. Caroline: Hello, Terry. B. I?ll take it. D. I?ll get some of them. B. What?s the weather like out? D. What?s the day today? Karen. B. No, no, I didn?t play well. D. Nothing to me. A. How do you do? C. What?s the matter?B. Can I help you? D. How is everything?41. Peter: Excuse me. I don?t think we?ve met. My name is Peter Green. Paul: How do you do? I?m Paul Jamison. Peter: A. That?s all right. B. It?s nice to meet you. D. Sorry, I don?t know.C. It?s nice to have met you. 42. Mrs. Castle: Terry! Terry: Yes, mum. Mrs. Castle:I?m trying to write a letter.Terry: Oh, sorry, I?ll turn it down. A. You?d better not to play your radio so loud. B. Anything else?C. Would you mind not playing your radio so loud? D. I hope you don?t mind playing your radio so loud. 43. Man: Excuse me, could you tell mw where the Hospital is, please? Woman: The hospital? Let me see. Oh, yes. It?s on Market Road, opposite the Asia Hotel. Man: A. Is it far from here? C. How can I get there? B. How far is it from here? D. Is it neat here?44.Tim: My brother fell off his bike and broke his leg. Peter: A. That?s too bad. C. I?m sorry to hear that. Is he feeling better now? B. He is too careless. D. He should be careful.45. Bob: I just heard that the tickets for tonight?s show had been sold out. Terry: Oh no! A. I was looking forward to that. C. I know it already. 46. A: What did he to? B: A: He is a tall man. C. He was a scientist. 47. Bill: Hello, Kate. Kate: Hello, Bill, B. he did very well. D. He was well. B. It doesn?t matter.D. It?s not at all interesting. Bill: I?m going to do some shopping in the town. Kate: I?m going to catch a train. I?m waiting for a bus. A. What?s the matter with you? C. Nice to have seen you here. B. Good-bye. D. Nice to see you here.48. Mrs. White: You have a beautiful garden. Mr. Brown: Mrs. White: Do you do all the work yourself? Mr. Brown: Yes. A. Yes, but I don?t enjoy working here. B. Thank you. I enjoy working in the garden. C. Really? But I don?t think so. 49. Librarian: Student: I?d like to borrow The Lost Necklace in English. A. What do you want ? C. Can I help you? B. What are you going to do? D. Can you help me? D. I?m afraid not.50. Lily: Do you mind if I read the text aloud here? Jack: Lily: Thank you very much. A. Yes, I do. C. Yes, I don?t B. No, I don?t. D. No, I do.Part II Vocabulary and structure Directions: In this part, you will read some incomplete statements. After each of them, there are 4 choices. Choose one best answer to complete each of them.1. F they ______, I?m told, for almost a hundred years. a. haven?t been risen c. haven?t risen a. over a. to go b. out of b. go b. haven?t raised d. haven?t being raised c. away c. going d. through d. will go2. Don?t make a fuss, he?ll soon get ______ his disappointment and be cheerful again. 3. He has no alternative but ______ and ask his brother for assistance. 4. Even when stranded in an isolate village by snow, ______. a. it seemed my journey was still exciting b. my journey still seemed exciting c. I still thought my journey exciting d. my journey was still thought to be exciting 5. “Let?s go, Tom. It?s time we ______.” “All right, Mary. I?ll finish it in a few seconds.” a. play baseball c. will play baseball b. played baseball d. are playing baseball 6. After a while, he left Newton?s to start ______his own as an illustrator. a. for a. so much b. with b. so many c. as c. as much d. on d. as more 7. Jim took his golf bag out of the car, wishing he had ______ freedom as Mr. Smith. 8. No sooner ______ the parrot flew out and settled in the same tree as the cat. a. had Mary opened the cage than c. did Mary open the cage when a. Had you arrived earlier b. Mary opened the cage that d. Mary opened the cage when b. If you arrived earlier9. ______, you would have seen my nephew CC a very outstanding and promising boy. c. Did you arrive earlier d. Unless you had arrived earlier 10. ______ told by the doctor to stop smoking, Mr. Smith carried neither matches nor cigarettes. a. Had been a. he was knowing b. Have been b. he is knowing d. knows c. with whom b. to be forbidden d. forbidding b. for fear that b. that c. untill c. as that d. unless d. as though d. to whom c. Having been d. Has been 11. Although ______ French, he attended the course. c. having a knowledge of a. who a. forbidden c. be forbid a. lest a. as again if you ______. a. will a. to perform c. to be performed a. to a. threeCfourths c. threes-fourths a. the Bach ______. a. as he will come c. he comes b. as he shall come d. as he comes b. the Bachs d. be performed b. be c. being b. three-fourth d. threes-fourth c. the Bach?s d. the Bachs? d. for 18. It ______ a fine day, we went for a picnic. 19. At least he was there in time to tell his adventures to Jim while Jim did ______ of the work. b. do c. have b. performing d. married 17. The composers soon began to write musical dramas about Bible stories ______ in Church. b. whom12. Elizabeth, ______ Jane very soon communicated the chief of all this, heard it in silent indignation. 13. A law was even passed in one state of America ______ short skirts.14. It is very improbable they should meet at all ______ he really comes to see her. 15. Women wearing the gowns were said to look ______ they had just stepped out of bed. 16. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you20. For two hundred years before Johann Sebastian Bach was born, ______ had been musicians. 21. It?s very likely that he may fall in love with one of them, and therefore you must visit him as soon22. It is essential that a child ______ loving attention. a. receives c. must be given a. of who a. Learned a. a 52-hour week c. an hour 52 week a. to hear a. Like do sth.) a. have been used to considering c. use to consider d. 52 hours week b. to hearing b. Compared b. of whom b. To learnb. is given d. should be given c. who c. Having learnt b. a 52 hours week d. whom d. Learnt23. The person ______ I speak is a gentleman and a stranger. 24. ______ he had been ill, I enquired about him. 25. Eventually they went on strike and achieved a reduction in hours to ______.26. You want to tell me, and I have no objection ______ it. c. hearing c. As with d. having heard d. With 27. ______ everything else, art changes with time. 28. “I ______ poetry as the food of love,” said Darcy.(be used to doing sth. Be used to sth.; used to b. have used to consider d. use to considering29. He continued after a pause, ______ Bingley join the group. a. seeing b. seen c. to see d. on seeing 30. Not that I mean to find fault ______ you, for such things I know are all chance in the world. a. to b. for c. with d. on 31. This book is borrowed from the library. You ______ all over it. a. shouldn?t have scribbled c. need not scribble a. are you aiming at c. you are aiming at a. Having absorbed c. Absorbing a. was well informed c. well informed a. what a. what a. arriving a. has never lived c. never lived b. which b. of which b. is arriving b. has well informed d. was well informing c. that c. that which c. will arrive b. had never lived d. would have never lived d. where d. that d. would arrive b. ought to not have scribbled d. have not to scribble b. are you aiming for d. you are aiming for b. Absorbed d. Be absorbing32. Harry wishes to be a doctor. Can you tell me what ______?33. ______ in his scientific research, he had no time left for recreational activities.34. He read the newspapers regularly so he ______ about the world situation.35. In the year A.D 79, a volcano erupted in ______ is now Italy. 36. I?m reading the novel ______ my husband recommended to me. 37. Ms. Franklin just called the office and said she ______ within the hour. 38. He acted as if he ______ in England before. 39. I know you?re planning to travel this summer, but do you know ______? a. how much cost it will be b. how much has it cost c. how much it will cost d. how much will it cost 40. His son must have a real talent ______ into fights. a. for to get a. at any cost b. having got c. getting b. to any cost d. for getting 41. The stolen jewels must be recovered ______. c. with any expenditure d. no matter any expenditure 42. John was so worn out that he just ______ down and slept for 24 hours. a. lied b. laid c. lay b. had lain 43. In the discussion, one speaker held that, since we live in a money-oriented society, the average individual cares little about solving ______. a. anyone else?s problems b. anyone?s else problems c. anyone else problems d. problems of anyone?s else 44. I raced through my breakfast and dressing, all thought of weariness ___ as my wife hurriedly packed my bag. a. gone a. ought you a. I haven?t either c. neither I have a. was b. is b. going b. shouldn?t you b. I have neither d. either have I c. were d. be c. had gone c. won?t you d. went d. don?t you 45. You ought to go by plane, ______? 46. He has not been to Paris yet, and ______.47. If she ______ to come tomorrow, I would tell her everything. 48. He will finish the job quickly ______. a. if he applies himself to the task c. if he will apply himself for the task a. must have been using b. must be using c. should have been using a. for a. outlined a. go through a. get over a. shut down a. caught b. with b. output b. go back on b. get across b. shut up b. disliked d. must use c. to c. outlet c. go over c. get down to c. shut out c. advised d. in d. outbroke d. go by d. get through d. shut away d. overheard 50. We can make use of the money only ______ respect of instructions from the manager. 51. In his first formal address to the College Paul ______ his general intentions. 52. Please don?t ______ what I say! My taste in films is not very reliable. 53. John hasn?t been working hard and I dare to say that he will not ______ his examinations. 54. The window was open, but the rain ______ the air as effectively as a curtain. 55. I?m not quite sure of it, for I ______ him saying that he was closing down his shop. b. if he applied himself to the task d. if he apply himself for the task49. T someone ______ the telephone. 56. He was a most ______ man, who attended Mass in the local church every other week. a. optimistic a. correspond 58. a. surrendered a. on the whole a. sense a. lift a. whirl a. consult a. thrash a. inspiring a. reigned a. tune ______. a. depressed b. condensed c. squeezed d. squashed d. penal 69. A ______ of experts gave its opinion on ways to solve the traffic problem. a. panel b. parcel c. patrol 70. The bank of the river was covered in ______. a. mood b. moss c. mock d. moisture 71. Your duties will ______ putting the children to bed. a. conclude a. amazed a. life a. attitude a. took up b. exclude b. interested b. lot of money b. activity b. emerged up c. include c. fond c. living c. hobby c. lined up d. involve d. proud d. diet d. grade d. played up 72. All of them are ______ at Lana?s achievement. 73. In USA Peter had to earn a _____ as a motorcar salesman. 74. Students should develop a good ______ about tests. 75. As the general came the soldiers quickly ______. b. pious b. apologize c. jealous c. frustrate d. muscular d. reconcile 57. Since the couple could not ______ their differences, they decided to get a divorce. He thought he could prevent himself from being influenced by the opinion that ______ him. b. sustained b. on the sly b. mind b. promotion b. wind b. wrestle b. shield b. striking b. governed b. rhythm c. surrounded d. subdued 59. When she thought no one was looking she opened the cupboard and took a few sweets ______. c. on second thought d. on the side c. thought c. raise c. rotate c. argue c. shed c. exciting c. controlled c. prayer d. sentiment d. rise d. reel d. compete d. thresh d. overwhelming d. mastered d. hymn 60. The students felt a ______ of achievement in their writing ability at the end of the semester. 61. Conditions everywhere have been seriously worsened, owing to the postwar ______ in pieces. 62. Cowboys ______ their ropes round and round above their heads before throwing them. 63. The policeman had to ______ with the criminal in order to get the handcuffs on him. 64. Soon after we gathered in all the wheat crop, we began to ______ it by using a machine. 65. There is a ______ resemblance between Jane and Mary, who are just in the same class. 66. The king ______ over a great variety of peoples and lands for as long as forty years. 67. Every year at sunrise on a May morning the choir gather on the top of the tower to sing a ______. 68. The checkCCout girl always puts the bread on top of the other groceries so that it does not get 76. An elliptical expression has words ______. a. missing a. cash a. bring out a. bring a. primitive a. natural a. suggested a. attainment a. substitute a. laying… lain c. lying… lied 86. Tell the children to ______ the fire. a. put off a. attention a. gentle a. stand up for a. at least a. combine a. raise a. emitted a. exterior a. sat b. put out b. watch b. hoarse b. face up to b. at the least b. contact b. increase b. admitted b. external b. kept c. put aside c. sight c. indifference c. stand up to c. in the least c. relate c. growth c. omitted c. interior c. installed d. put down d. notice d. temperate d. be faced with d. at most d. connect d. ascent d. remitted d. elastic d. sank 87. She passed me in the street, but took no ______ of me. 88. My new teacher is both ______ and encouraging towards me. 89. My wife?s health will not ______ this cold damp climate. 90. Mike was not upset ______ by the storm. 91. A good student must ______ what he reads with what he sees around him. 92. Crime is certainly on the ______ in many big cities. 93. You have ______ my name from your list. 94. This newspaper doesn?t pay enough attention to ______ affairs. 95. The newcomer ______ himself in the large leather chair. 96. Every citizen in a democratic country may ______ the protection of the law. b. disappearing b. cheque b. bring to b. nurse b. ancient b. central b. assured b. engagement b. neutrality c. losing c. price c. bring up c. take care c. ancestral c. neutral c. showed c. investment c. equality b. lying… laid d. lying… lain d. vanishing d. value d. bring on d. look d. parental d. middle d. ensured d. endorsement d. equivalent 77. Last week he went to the ______ register to withdraw money. 78. The publishing company intends to ______ a new series of educational books. 79. After the baby?s mother died her aunt took the duty to ______ her. 80. In ______ times the most important examinations were spoken, not written. 81. I?m ______ in this argument: I don?t care who wins. 82. They ______ him that he and his Party had the full support of the Openshaw Branch. 83. Owing to a previous ______, I shan?t be able to come. 84. Is there a French word that is the exact ______ of the English word ?home?? 85. He was ______ on the grass and had evidently ______ there all night. a. claim a. lack a. in evidenceb. provide b. little b. in earnestc. insist c. need c. in placed. supply d. short d. in effect97. My face turned white and my body wasted away owing to ______ of proper food and exercise. 98. The coach says that players must be in bed by midnight, and that rule is ______ tonight. 99. There was ______ often minutes between the two parts of the concert. a. a period b. a space c. a rest d. an interval 100. Only experts can ______ the old coins that are dug up in our town. a. determine b. date c. decide d. declarePart IIReading ComprehensionDirections: There are some reading passages in this section. Each passage is followed by some questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four suggested answers marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best answer to each question. Test One Passage One Questions 1 to 5 are based on the following passage: Every human being, no matter what he is doing, gives off body heat. The usual problem is how to get rid of it. But the designers of the Johnstown campus of the University of Pittsburgh set themselves the opposite problem C how to collect body heat. They have designed a collection system which uses not only body heat, but the heat given off by such objects as light bulbs and refrigerators as well. The system works so well that no fuel is needed to make the campus?s six buildings comfortable. Some parts of most modern buildings C theaters and offices as well as classrooms C are more than sufficiently heated by people and lights and sometimes must be air-conditioned even in winter. The technique of saving heat and redistributing it is called “heat recovery”. A few modern buildings recover heat, but the University?s system is the first to recover heat from buildings and reuse it in others. Along the way, Pitt has learned a great deal about some of its producers. The harder a student studies, the more heat his body gives off. Male students send out more heat than female students, and the larger a student is, the more heat he produces. It is tempting to conclude that the hottest prospect for the Johnstown campus would be a hard-working overweight male genius. 1. What is characteristic of the buildings on Johnstown campus of the University of Pittsburgh? A. They are more comfortable to live in than other buildings. B. They collect body heat to regulate the temperature inside. C. They use light bulbs to heat the classrooms. D. They consume less fuel to keep the classrooms cool. 2. According to the passage, the technique of heat recovery is used ________. A. to provide a special form of air-conditioning B. to provide heat for the hot water system C. to find out the source of heat D. to collect heat and reuse it 3. The phrase “the hottest prospect” in this passage refers to ________. A. the person who suffers most from heat B. the person who needs more heat than others C. the person who gives off most heat D. the person who make better use of body heat 4. Which of the following statements is NOT true according the passage? A. The harder a student works, the more heat he or she produces. B. The bigger a student is, the more heat he or she sends out. C. A girl student sends out more heat than a boy student. D. A large and hard-working boy student gives off the most heat. 5. Which of the following may be the best title for this passage? A. Recovery of Body Heat C. Modern Building?s Heat System B. Body Heat and Sex D. Ways of Heating Buildings Passage Two Questions 6 to 10 are based on the following passage: The Earth has a force that pulls thing toward itself. We call this force gravity. This is something we live with all the time, and we take it for granted and hardly ever think about it. But it is a most important factor in rocket operation and must overcome if we are to get anywhere in space, or off the ground at all. Take the throwing of a ball as an example. The harder the ball is thrown, the faster and higher it will go. What is the secret? Its speed. If we could throw the ball hard enough it would go up and up forever and never come down. The speed at which it would have to be thrown do this is known as escape speed. Of course, we cannot throw a ball hard enough because the speed required to escape completely from the Earth?s gravity is seven miles per second, or over twenty-five thousand miles per hour. Once escape speed has been reached by a spacecraft, no further power is needed. A rocket aimed at the Moon, for instance, will ?coast?(滑行)the rest of the way because the Earth?s gravity cannot then pull it back, and there is no air resistance in space to slow it down. This ?coasting? is known as ?free fall?. That does not mean the rocket is falling down towards the Earth but that it is traveling freely in space without the aid of power, like a bicycle coasting downhill. Free fall is an important feature of space travel: it would be impossible to carry enough fuel to provide powered flight all the time. 6. What is the most important factor for a rocket to escape from the Earth? A. To travel as fast as it can. B. To overcome the Earth?s gravity. C. To reduce the air resistance. D. To carry enough fuel with it. 7. How fast will a rocket go to escape completely from the Earth?s gravity? A. Seventy miles per second. B. Seven thousand miles per hour. C. Twenty-five thousand miles per second. D. Twenty-five thousand miles per hour. 8. As there is always the Earth?s gravitational pull, people ________. A. accept it without questioning it C. seldom think about how to use it B. never notice its presence D. often try to escape from it 9. When a bicycle ?coasts? downhill, it ________. A. runs faster and faster B. runs freely without any further power C. is no longer affected by the Earth?s gravity D. does not meet with air resistance 10. Why is it not necessary to provide powered flight in space all the time? A. Few spacecraft complete their flight operations. B. The spacecraft will be attracted by the Moon. C. No further power is needed after the escape speed is reached. D. ?Free fall? takes the place of the Earth?s gravitational pull. Passage Three Questions 11 to 15 are based on the following passage: Crime is a very serious problem in Britain. One sort of crime which particularly worries people is juvenile delinquency C that is, crimes committed by young people. For some years juvenile delinquency had been increasing. There are two main sorts of juvenile crimes: stealing and violence. Most people do not understand why young people commit these crimes. There are, I think, a large number of different reasons. These crimes are not usually committed by people who are poor or in need. Young people often dislike and hate the adult world. They will do things to show that they are rebels. Also in Britain today it is easier for young people to commit crimes because they have more freedom to go where they like and more money to do what they like. There are two other possible causes which are worth mentioning. More and more people in Britain live in large towns. In a large town no one knows who anyone else is or where they live. But in the village I come from crimes are rare because everyone knows everyone else. Although it is difficult to explain, I think the last cause is very important. Perhaps there is something with our society which encourages violence and crime. It is a fact that all the time children are exposed to films and reports about crime and violence. Many people do not agree that this influences the young people, but I think that young people are very much influenced by the society they grow in. I feel that the fault may be as much with our whole society as with these young people. 11. From the passage we know that many British people are confused about ________. A. the causes of juvenile crimes B. the rise of the crime rate C. the problem of crimes in their country D. the various kinds of juvenile delinquency 12. One reason why young people in large cities are more likely to commit crimes is that ________. A. they need more money B. they are free to move C. they live a better life D. nobody knows anything about others 13. According to the passage, which groups of the following young people are LEAST likely to commit crimes? A. Those living in big cities. B. Those living in the countryside. C. Those who are very poor. D. Those who are in need of help. 14. Unlike many others, the author holds that one important cause for juvenile delinquency is that ________. A. young people nowadays do not like adult world B. young people in Britain today are freer than before C. young people are influenced by crime and violence in films and newspapers D. too many young people have come to live in big cities 15. According to the passage, which is to blame for juvenile crimes, apart from the young people themselves? A. The adult world. B. Their parents. C. The society. D. The development of the cities.Passage FourQuestions 16 to 20 are based on the following passage: George Bellows () was perhaps the most popular artist America has produced-people loved him because he was one of them. He had a genius for finding subjects to paint in the interesting life around him. He painted prizefights, political power, revival meetings, and dead-end kids swimming in New York's East River. His pictures captured the exorbitant vitality of the home-rum hitter. Bellow's prizefight pictures are unsurpassed in American art in spite of the good-humored criticism of professional boxers. One of the best of these paintings, Stage at Sharkey's captures, Stag at Sharkey's, captures the thrilling climax of a brutal professional battle. &I've never seen so O.K. a picture of two boys throwing leather,& says former world champion boxer Mickey Walker, himself an exhibiting painter, &but as a fighter I am kayoed by the thing. Here is the big guy delivering the knock-out punch, a left hook on the jaw, and a cross to follow, but he has his right foot way up in the air---- nobody could flatten nobody with his right foot up in the air. I' it's a great picture, and as an artist, I'm a bum, just a fighter who can paint a little. Bellows was an artist, and there' that's why the foot is in the air.&16. Bellows' choice of subject fell mainly in the area of _______. A) athletics B) everyday activities C) prizefights D) circus scenes 17. Stag at Sharkey's is Bellows' __________. A) greatest painting B) sole painting of a professional prizefight C) painting of a knock-out punch D) none of the above 18. According to the selection, Bellow's prizefight pictures may be called ______. A) accurate in every detail B) good-humored criticism C) the best in American art D) both B and C 19. Walker's comments indicate that he thought Bellows had ______. A) deliberately destroyed the realism of the picture B) made an insignificant error C) added to the artistic balance of the picture D) either B or C 20. An appropriate title for this selection would be ________. A) The People's Choice B) One Artistic Technique C) Paintings of Boxing Matches D) When the Critic Was a BoxerTest Two Passage 1I don?t often lose things and I?m especially careful with money, so I was quite surprised when I reached for my wallet and it wasn?t there. At first, I thought it was possible that I could have left it at home. Then I remembered taking it out to pay for the taxi, so I knew I had it with me just before I walked into the restaurant. I wondered if it was possible that it could have slipped out of my pocket while I was eating dinner. Thinking about that possibility, I turned and walked back to the table where I had been sitting. Unfortunately, there were several people sitting at the table at the time, so I called a waiter and explained to him that my wallet had fallen out of my pocket while I was sitting at the table a few minutes earlier. I had the waiter go over to the table to see if my wallet was on the floor. While the waiter was looking for it, the manager of the restaurant came up to me and asked me if anything was wrong. I didn?t want to get a lot of people involved in the problem, but I knew I had to get the wallet back. I told the manager what had happened. He had me describe the wallet to him, and then he insisted that I report the missing wallet to the police. I told him that I didn?t particularly want to get the p besides, I was in a hurry because I had an appointment with my doctor in just a few minutes. I explained to him that my biggest worry at the moment was how I was going to pay the check. He told me not to worry about that. He had me write down my name and address, and he said he would send me a bill. 1. Why was the writer so sure he had brought his wallet with him? A. He remembered that he didn?t leave it at home. B. He always felt his pocket for the wallet before he left home. C. He believed his own memory. D. He had taken it out to pay the taxi-driver. 2. According to the passage, the writer most probably lost his wallet when _____. A. he took it out to pay for the taxi B. he walked into the restaurant C. he was eating dinner D. he was ordering his dish 3. Why did the writer walk back to the table where he had been sitting? A. He was sure his wallet was still there. B. It was possible that he could find his wallet there. C. He could ask someone there about his wallet. D. He saw the wallet lying on the floor near the table. 4. As the writer didn?t want to get a lot of people involved in the problem, _____. A. he only told the manager what had happened B. he didn?t tell the manage anything C. he reported to the police immediately D. he only told the story to the manager and the waiter 5. Why did the manager tell the writer not to worry about paying the check? A. He was going to report the incident to the police. B. He could pay the doctor for the writer. C. He would send the writer a bill later for his meal. D. He was sure the missing wallet would soon be recovered.Passage 2Cathy and Wayne are in their late 20?s, have been married five years, and are childless. The last time a member of Cathy?s family asked, “When are you going to start a family?” her answer was, “We?re a family!” Cathy and Wayne belong to a growing number of young married couples who are deciding not to have children. A recent survey showed that in the last five years the percentage of wives aged 25 to 29 who did not want children had almost doubled. What lies behind this decision which seems to fly in the face of biology and society? Perhaps the most publicly outspoken childless couple are Ellen Peck and her husband William. They are not against parenthood but against the social pressures that push people into parenthood whether it is what they really want or not. “It?s a life-style choice,” Ellen says. “We chose freedom and spontaneity (自发性), privacy (清 静) and leisure. It?s also a question of where you want to give your efforts ? within your own family or in the larger community. This generation faces serious questions about the continuity of life on earth as well as its quality. Our grandchildren may have to buy tickets to see the last redwoods (红杉) or line up to get their oxygen ration (氧气量). There are men who complain about being caught in a traffic jam for hours on their way home to their five kids but can?t make the association between the children and the traffic jam. In a world seriously threatened by the consequences of overpopulation we?re concerned with making life without children acceptable and respectable. Too many children are born as a result of cultural pressure. And the results show up in the statistics on divorce and child-abuse.” 6. What does the member of Cathy?s family mean by saying “When are you going to start a family?” A. When are you going to have children? B. When are you going to get married? C. When are you going to buy a house? D. When are you going to move to a new house? 7. The number of childless young couples _____. A. is decreasing B. is increasing C. has more than doubled D. remains unchanged 8. “To fly in the face of” in the second paragraph means _____. A. to run into B. to come across C. to follow D. to go against 9. Which of the following statements is true of the Pecks? A. They propose that young couples have no children. B. They urge that family planning be made obligatory. C. They think that no pressure should be put on young couples who do not want children. D. They think that there would be no divorce or child-abuse if young couples are not pressured into parenthood. 10. Which of the following is NOT a consequence of overpopulation mentioned in this passage? A. Traffic jam. B. The using up of precious natural resources. C. The lowering of the quality of life. D. War.Passage 3Cars are important in the United States. Without a car most people feel that they are poor. And even if a person is poor he doesn?t feel really poor when he has a car. Henry Ford was the man who first started making cars in large numbers. He probably didn?t know how much the car was going to affect American culture. The car made the United States a nation on wheels. And it helped make the United States what it is today. There are three main reasons the car became so popular in the United States. First of all the country is a huge one and Americans like to move around in it. The car provides the most comfortable and cheapest form of transportation. With a car people can go any place without spending a lot of money. The second reason cars are popular is the fact that the United States never really developed an efficient and inexpensive form of public transportation. Long-distance trains have never been as common in the United States as they are in other parts of the world. Nowadays there is a good system of air-service provided by planes. But it is too expensive to be used frequently. The third reason is the most important one, though. The American spirit of independence is what really made cars popular. Americans don?t like to wait for a bus or a train or even a plane. They don?t like to have to follow an exact schedule. A car gives them the freedom to schedule their own time. And this is the freedom that Americans want most to have. The gas shortage has caused a big problem for Americans. But the answer will not be a bigger system of public transportation. The real solution will have to be a new kind of car, one that does not use so much gas. 11. When do most Americans feel they are poor? A. When they don?t have a car. B. When they live in a huge country. C. When they don?t use planes. D. When they have a car. 12. What is the most important reason that cars become popular in the United States? A. Because the United States is huge. B. Because public transportation is not so good. C. Because Americans like to be independent. D. Because Americans like to move around. 13. What public transportation is good in the United States? A. Buses. B. Trains. C. Taxis. D. Planes. 14. What has caused a big problem for Americans? A. A new kind of car. B. Public transportation. C. The gas shortage. D. Poor people. 15. Which of the following is not mentioned according to this passage? A. Cars have made the nation on wheels. B. Cars have made the United States have a gas shortage. C. Nearly 80% of the American people have cars. D. Cars have made American independent.Passage 4We were late as usual. My husband had insisted on watering the flowers in the garden by himself, and when he discovered that he couldn?t manage he had asked me for help at the last moment. So now we had an hour to get to the airport. Luckily, there were not many cars or buses on the road and we were able to get there just in time. We checked in and went straight to a big hall to wait for our flight to be called. We waited and waited but no announcement was made. We asked for information and the girl there told us that the plane hadn?t even arrived yet. In the end there was another announcement telling us that passengers waiting for Flight LJ108 could get a free meal voucher (凭单) and that the plane hadn?t left Spain for technical problems. We thought that meant that it wasn?t safe for the plane to fly. We waited again for a long time until late evening when we were asked to report again. This time we were given free vouchers to spend the night in a nearby hotel. The next morning after a bad night because of all the planes taking off and landing, we reported back to the airport. Guess what had happened while we were asleep! Our plane had arrived and taken off again. All the other passengers had been woken up in the night to catch the plane, but for some reason or other we had been forgotten. You can imagine how we felt! 16. The plane the writer and her husband would take _____. A. came from Spain B. passed by Spain C. was not to leave till the next morning D. was waiting for the passengers 17. The plane was delayed _____. A. by the bad weather B. by the passengers C. because of many cars on the road D. because something was wrong with the machine 18. The passengers were given a free meal because _____. A. they arrived at the airport early B. they hadn?t had a meal yet C. they had no money with them D. the plane was delayed 19. They were in a big hall, waiting for _____. A. the girl to give them information B. their flight to be announced C. the free meal voucher D. other passengers to arrive 20. The plane took off again _____. A. as soon as it had arrived B. after all the passengers were woken up C. while the couple were asleepD. early the next morning Test ThreeQuestions 1 to 5 are based on the following passage: For some minutes, all was quiet in the street. Then, from across the street, someone came walking. It looked like a man of middle height, dressed in a big raincoat, a soft hat and rubber-soled boots or shoes, and making little at most a soft, sliding sound. No one was in sight. It was a street with two rows of about fifty small houses, and there were three lamps on either side. The lamp nearest the child's house could be seen clearly, but the others were almost hidden by the smoke air. A car passed the end of the street and its lights sowed faintly, but clearly enough to show the smooth skin of a woman's face. The car disappeared as the woman, wrapped up in her coat, reached the doorway of the child's house. She put a key in the lock quickly, pushed the door open and stepped inside, then closed the door without looking round. She began to breathe hard. She leaned against the door for a moment, then straightened up as if with an effort to walk towards the door of the front room, the passage leading to the kitchen, and the narrow staircase. She hesitated outside the door, then went up the stairs, quickly but with hardly a sound. There was enough light from the narrow hall to show the four doors leading off a small landing. She pushed each door open in turn and shone a torch inside, and the light fell upon beds, wall, furniture, a bathroom hand-basin, a mirror which fla but this was not what the woman was looking for. She turned away and went downstairs, and hesitated again at the foot of the stairs, then turned towards the kitchen. Clearly there was nothing there, or in the small wash-room, that she wanted. T the front room and a smaller one next to it. She opened the front room door. After a moment, she saw the child's bed and the child. 1. The light of the car passing the end of the street showed that ________. A) a woman was driving the car. B) Someone was standing by a street lamp C) A man and a woman were walking up the street D) A woman was walking by herself up the street 2. When the woman had closed the front door, she ______. A) looked round quickly B) started breathing again. C) Rested before moving D) Walked straight towards the front room 3. The woman went upstairs ________. A) in complete silence B) after hesitating for a moment. C) After looking inside the kitchen D) As quickly as she could 4. When she was upstairs, the woman _______. A) saw that there was a wash-basin in each room. B) Noticed a mirror which she was looking for C) Found a torch inside one of the rooms D) Opened four different doors 5. Once she was in the house, the woman behaved as if what she was looking for _____. A) might be in the kitchen B) was more likely to be upstairs C) would be easily seen by the light from the hall D) would look frightening to a childQuestions 6 to 10 are based on the following passage:Albert Einstein had a great effect on science and history, greater than only a few other men have achieved. An American university president once commented that Einstein had created a new outlook, a new view of the universe. It may be some time before the average mind understands fully the identify of time and space and so on---- but even ordinary men understand now that the universe is something larger than even thought before. By 1914 the young Einstein had gained world fame. He accepted the offer to become a professor at the Prussian Academy of Science in Berlin. He had few duties, little teaching and unlimited opportunities for study, but soon his peace and quietness were broken by the First World War. Einstein hated violence. The misery(悲惨) of war affected him deeply, and he sat unhappily in his office doing little. He lost interest in his research. Only when peace came in 1918 was he able to get back to work. In the years following World War Ⅰ honors were increasingly heaped on him. He became the head of the Kaiser Whihem Institute of Theoretical Physics. In 1921 he won the Nobel Prize, and he was honored in Germany until the rise of Nazism when he was driven from Germany because he was a Jew. 6. The main idea of the first paragraph is _____. A) the time when people know Einstein. B) the feeling of an American college president C) the change in human thought produced by Einstein D) the difficulty of Einstein's thought to teachers. 7. According to the American university president, ________. A) everyone understands Einstein's theory today B) Einstein achieved more than any other scientists in history C) The theory of relativity can be quickly learned by everyone D) Our ideas about the universe are different today because of Einstein 8. According to Paragraph 2, Albert Einstein _______. A) was a famous chemist B) headed a research institute C) was famous in the world D) enjoyed reading about war 9. According to the passage Einstein did his greatest work _____. A) during World War Ⅰ C) when Naziizm rose 10. It may be concluded that ______. A) Albert Einstein was forced to serve in the German army B) when he was young D) between
B) Albert Einstein had no other interests besides science C) Germans usually have a high respect for science D) His reputation was ruined because of his work during World War IQuestions 11 to 15 are based on the following passage:The wheel was one of man's first invention and yet it has also proved one of the most useful. So wide and varied are the uses of wheels, in machines and vehicles of all kinds, that it is difficult to imagine what the world would be like without them. it is surprising to hear it said, therefore, that the wheel's importance will perhaps be greatly reduced by the end of the century by an invention so new as to be still unnamed. The invention is a machine that floats above any surface on a cushion (垫子) of air. The cushion is formed when air is blown into the bottom of the machine. This part is shaped like a saucer turned upside down. If air is brown into this saucer, the machine rises to a height that may vary from a few inches to a few feet. Industry is already using one form of the invention to deal with heavy loads. It can lift them with ease and since there are no wheels, and therefore no friction, they can be put into motion with the touch of a finger. The new invention, however, is having a great effect on transport. Not only does it make expensive road systems unnecessary, but it enables vehicles to travel equally well over land or water. This unique ability to reach most destinations has given rise to the prediction that wheeled vehicles may be as uncommon at the end of the century as aero-planes were at the beginning. 11. The first paragraph tells us that _____. A) the wheel was man's earliest invention. B) The wheel's usefulness has yet to be proved. C) Wide wheels have a variety of important uses. D) A new invention may make wheels less important. 12. The phrase &with the touch of a finger& in the third paragraph means _______. A) without difficulty C) without friction D) by hand 13. The passage tells us that the new invention ______. A) is more important for industry than for transport B) will one day be used instead of aeroplanes C) makes it possible to travel without using roads D) will replace wheeled vehicles in a hundred years 14. be ______. A) rare B) plentiful C) unimportant D) expensive 15. According to the passage, the new invention _____. A) will soon get a name B) can go almost anywhere C) is lighter than air D) was uncommon a century ago At the end of the century, vehicles using the new invention will probably B) by electricity Questions 16 to 20 are based on the following passage:Today is the anniversary of that afternoon in April a year ago that I first saw the strange and appealing doll in the window of Abe Sheftel's stationery (文具) and toy shop on Third Avenue near Fifteenth Street, just around the corner from my office, where the plate on the door reads: Dr. Samuel Amory. I remember just how it was that day: the first hint of sprit floated across the East Rive, mixing with the soft-coal smoke from the factories and the street smells of the poor neighborhood. As I turned the corner on my way to work and came to Sheftel's, I was made once more aware of the poor collection of toys in the dusty window, and I remembered the approaching birthday of a small niece of mine in Cleveland, to whom I was in the habit of sending modest gifts. Therefore, I stopped and examined the window to see if there might be anything appropriate, and looked at the confusing collection of unappealing objectsCCa red toy tire engine, some lead soldiers, cheap baseballs, bottles of ink, pens, yellowed stationery, and garish(花花绿绿的) cardboard advertisements for soft-drink, and thus it was that my eyes eventually came to rest upon the doll tucked away in one corner, a doll with the strangest, most charming expression on her face. I could not wholly make her out, due to the shadows and the film through which I was looking, but I was aware that a tremendous impression had been made upon me as though I had run into a person, as one does something with a stranger, with whose personality one is deeply impressed. 16. Why does the author mention his niece? A) She likes dolls. B) The doll looks like her. C) She likes near Sheftel's. D) He was looking for a gift for her. 17. Why did the author go past Sheftel's? A) He was on his way to work. B) He was looking for a present for his niece. C) He wanted to buy some stationery. D) He liked to look in the window. 18. The story takes place in the _____. A) early summer. C) Early spring 19. When was he story written? A)One year after the incident. B) Right after the incident C) In the author's old age. D) On the author's birthday 20. Most of the things in the store window were ______. A) expensive B) appealing C) neatly arranged Test Four D) unattractive B) Midsummer D) Late springQuestions 1 to 5 are based on the following passage:Are some people born clever, and others born stupid? Or is intelligence developed by our environment and our experience? Strangely enough, the answer to these questions is yes. To some extent our intelligence is given to us at birth. On the other hand, a child who lives in a boring environment will develop his intelligence less than one who lives in rich and varied surroundings. Thus the limits of person's intelligence are fixed at birth, whether or not he reaches those limits will depend on his environment. This view, now held by most experts, can be supported in a number of ways. It is easy to show that intelligence is to some something we are born with. The closer the blood relationship between two people, the closer they are likely to be in intelligence. Thus if we take two unrelated people at random from the population, it is likely that their degree of intelligence will be completely different. If, on the other hand, we take two identical twins, they will very likely be as intelligent as each other. Relations like brothers and sisters, parents and children, usually have similar intelligence, and this clearly suggests that intelligence depends on birth. Imagine now that we take two identical twins and put them in different environments. We might send one, for example, to a university and the other to a factory where the work is boring. We would soon find differences in intelligence developing, and this indicates that environment as well as birth plays a part. This conclusion is also suggested by the fact that people who live in close contact with each other, but who are not related at all are likely to have similar degree of intelligence. 1. The writer is in favor of the view that man's intelligence is given to him ______. A) at birth B) through education C) both at birth and through education D) neither at birth nor through education. 2. If a child is born with low intelligence, he can _____. A) become a genius B) still become a genius if he should be given special education. C) Exceed his intelligence limits in rich surroundings. D) Not reach his intelligence in his life. 3. In the second paragraph &if we take two unrelated people at random from the population& means if we ______. A) pick any two persons. B) Take out two different persons. C) Choose two persons who are relative D) Choose two persons with different intelligence 4. The example of the twins going to a university and to a factory separately shows ______. A) the importance of their intelligence B) the role of environment on intelligence C) the importance of their positions. D) The part that birth plays. 5. The best title of this passage can be ______. A) Surroundings. B) Intelligence. C) Dependence on Environment D) Effect of Education Questions 6 to 10 are based on the following passage:Robert Spring, a 19th century forger(伪造者), was so good at his profession that he was able to make his living for 15 years by selling false signatures of famous Americans. Spring was born in England in 1834 and arrived in Philadelphia in 1858 to open a bookstore. At first he prospered (繁荣) by selling his small but genuine collection of early U.S. autographs (亲笔签名). Discovering his ability at copying handwriting, he began imitating signatures of George Washington and Ben Franklin and writing them on the title pages of old books. To lesson the chance of detection, he sent his forgeries to England and Canada for sale and circulation. Forgers have a hard time selling their products. A forger can't approach a respectable buyer but must deal with people who don't' have much knowledge in the field. Forgers have many ways to make they work book real. For example, they buy old books to use the aged paper of the title page, and they can treat paper and ink with chemicals. In Spring's time, right after the Civil War, Britain was still fond of the Southern states. So Spring invented a respectable maiden lady known as Miss Fanny Jackson, the only daughter of General &Stonewall& Jackson. For several years Miss Fanny's financial problems forced her to sell a great number of letters and manuscripts (手稿) belonging to her famous father. Sprint had to work very hard to satisfy the demand. All this activity did not prevent Sprint from dying in poverty, leaving sharp-eyed experts the difficult task of separating his forgeries from the originals. 6. Why did Sprint sell his false autographs in English and Canada? A) There was a greater demand than in America. B) There was less chance of being detected there. C) Britain was Spring's birthplace. D) The prices were higher in England and Canada. 7. After the Civil War, there was a great demand in Britain for _______. A) Southern money B) Southern manuscripts and letters. C) Signatures of George Washington and Ben Franklin. D) Civil was battle plans. 8. Robert Spring spent 15 years _______. A) running a bookstore in Philadelphia. B) As a forger C) Corresponding with Miss Fanny Jackson D) As a respectable dealer 9. A) According to the passage, forgeries are usually sold to ______. A) sharp-eyed experts B) book dealers C) persons who aren't experts D) owners of old books 10. Who was Miss Fanny Jackson? A) The only daughter of General &Stonewall& Jackson. B) A little-known girl who sold her fathers' papers to Robert Spring. C) Robert Spring's daughter D) An imaginary person created by SpringQuestions 11 to 15 are based on the following passageBenjamin Franklin was born in 1706 in Boston, Massachusetts. His mother and father were of Puritan (清教徒的) religion. They left England and moved to the English colony of Massachusetts in order to escape persecution (迫害) for their religion. In Boston, Franklin left school when he was ten years old and worked for his father for two years. Then he went to work on his brother's newspaper. He became the editor of this paper when he was sixteen. Because he wanted to be independent, he went to Philadelphia. There he bought his own newspaper. He worked hard and saved his money. And by the age of 24 he was one of the most successful men in Philadelphia. In 1732 Franklin published a book &POOR RICHARD'S ALMANAC(历本)&. Most almanacs contained information for farmers, such as information about the days and weeks of the year and about the weather. To his almanac, Franklin added wise sayings, his observations about life, some of these sayings are still famous today. For example, &Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise,& and &Waste not, want not,& and &A penny saved is a penny earned.& 11. Benjamin Franklin was of _____. A) English origin. C) French origin A) they wanted to make a fortune B) they wanted to meet their relatives there C) they were persecuted in England D) they wanted to have a visit there 13. At the age of 11, he worked for ______. A) his brother B) his father C) himself D) someone else 14. He moved to Philadelphia because ______. A) his brother didn't like him. B) he wanted to be dependent C) he became the editor of the paper D) he wanted to live on himself. 15. Franklin's almanacs contained ______. A) information for farmer C) poor Richard's ideas B) wise sayings D) both A and B B) American origin D) Not mentioned12. His parents moved to Massachusetts because ______.Questions 16 to 20 are based on the following passage:The potential of closed -circuit television and other new electronic teaching tools is to great that it is inspiring to imagine & the school of tomorrow&. Televised lessons will be given in a central building having perhaps four or five master studios (播音 室). The lessons will be carried into classrooms all over a city, or even an entire country. After a televised lesson has been given, the classroom teacher will take over for the all important &follow up& period. The students will ask any troublesome questions, and difficult points will be cleared up through discussion. The teacher in the classroom will have additional electronic tools. On the teacher's desk, the traditional birth red apple will have been replaced by a multiple-control panel (操纵盘) and magnetic tape players. The tape machine will run pre-recorded lessons which pupils will follow by headphones. The lessons will be specifically connected closely to the students' levels of ability. For instance, while the class as a whole studies history, each student will receive an individual history lesson, directed to his particular level of ability. Should questions arise, the students will be able to talk directly to the teacher on individual &intercom& (对讲机) without disturbing the rest of the class. In this way, the teacher will be able to conduct as many as three classes at the same time. 16. Closed-circuit television will probably carry lesson to _____ A) a single classroom B) one school C) all the classrooms in the world D) all the classroom in a city or a country. 17. After the television lesson _____. A) the students will go to their next class B) the classroom teacher will take over C) the students will ask questions D) both B and C 18. In the schools of tomorrow, the teachers' desk will _____. A) contain electronic equipment B) actually be a television set C) no longer exist D) look like an isolation cabin 19. In the schools of tomorrow, students will ______. A) all study different subjects at the same time B) study at different levels with a subject at the same time. C) Not study D) Not have to read books 20. Electronic tools will enable the teacher to ______. A) teach more than one class at the same time B) retire C) teach only a small number of pupils D) rely on TV station only Test Five Questions 1 to 5 are based on the following passage: Early in the 16th century men were trying to reach Asia by traveling west from Europe. In order to find Asia they had to find a way past South America. The man who eventually found the way from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific was Ferdinand Magellan. Magellan sailed from Seville (赛维利马) in August 1519 with five ships and about 280 men. Fourteen months later, after spending the severe winter on the coast of Patagonia (巴塔哥尼亚), he discovered the channel which is now called Magellan's Strait (海峡). In November 1520, after many months of dangers from rocks and storms, the three remaining ships entered the ocean on the other side of South America. They then continued, hoping to reach Asia. But t}

我要回帖

更多关于 have less to do 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信