Pride andwithout prejudicee is ___most touching novel and I will read it___ third time

pride and prejudice英文读后感_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
pride and prejudice英文读后感
&&pride and prejudice英文读后感
阅读已结束,下载文档到电脑
想免费下载更多文档?
定制HR最喜欢的简历
下载文档到电脑,方便使用
还剩1页未读,继续阅读
定制HR最喜欢的简历
你可能喜欢Essay about Pride and Prejudice Quote Response - 299 Words
Pride and Prejudice Quote...
Pride and Prejudice Quote Response
Only available on StudyMode
(299 words
Download(s)
: June 1, 2013
Please sign up to read full document.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife," (1) "The business of [Mrs. Bennet's] life [is] to get her daughters married." (3) "An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do." (78) Volume 2
"Stupid men are the only ones worth knowing after all." (107) "In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." (130) “Her astonishment […] that he should have been in love with her so many months! So much love as to wish to marry her in spite of all objections, which had made him prevent his friend’s marring her sister […] But his pride, his abominable pride. “ (151) Volume 3
“[Mrs. Bennet} was a women of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper. When she was discontented she fancied herself nervous. The business of her life was to get h its solace was visiting and news.” (226) “Though he had detected with a critical eye more than one failure of perfect symmetry in her form, he was forced to acknowledge her figure to b and in spite of his asserting that her manners were not those of the fashionable world, he was caught by their easy playfulness.” (236) "You were disgusted with the women who were always speaking and looking, and thinking for your approbation alone. I roused, and interested you, because I was so unlike them." (262)
YOU MAY ALSO FIND THESE DOCUMENTS HELPFUL
...Stephan Meyer
Pride and Prejudice
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighborhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered the rightful property of some one ot other of their daughters” (Austen, Pride and
Prejudice 1).
These first sentences of Austen’s novel immediately establish a central motif of the work—marriageability—and equally demonstrates Austen’s use of irony. The novel is considered an Horacian satire, a direct form of satire which pokes fun at humble foibles with a witty, even indulgent tone. Austen described her work metaphorically as miniature painitngs on small bits of ivory, an art form popular in her lifetime. She prided herself on knowing to the smallest detail th e little corner of the world she created in her narrative. But as critics Sandra Gilbert and Susan Gubar have pointed out, this reference to the miniature is not necessarily the familiarity self-deprecating move of a woman writer of the time, but is in fact unsettling in that it reminds “us of the risk and instability outisde the fictional space.” In other words, Austen’s work is a metaphor for her interest in the subdivision of social space and the gender and class boundaries that such subdivision implies....
...Bibliographic Info: Austen, Jane. Kindle Version. A Public Domain Book.
Setting Time: Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice takes place at the turn of the 19th Century. During this time, they’re coming out of the 18th century phenomenon including the enlightenment era, the age of reason, and many arousing philosophical ideas. This also took place after the French revolution.
Setting Locale:
Pride and Prejudice takes place in
England. In England the man on the throne is Prince Regent who later becomes George IV. The time is stressful because England is at war in America and Napoleon is rampaging through Europe as well.
Everyone is hoping England does not follow in France’s footsteps.
Protagonist: Elizabeth Bennett is the main protagonist in the novel, although Darcy has a key role throughout the book, the novel follows Elizabeth’s uttermost thoughts. We also do not know Darcy’s true character until Elizabeth does, which makes him more of the antagonist, rather than the protagonist.
Narrator: Austen writes the novel in 3rd person omniscient. Although the narrator typically stays with Elizabeth, he also reveals things Elizabeth does not know, for example the pursuit of Charlotte by Mr. Collins. When using this type of narrative we receive Elizabeth’s thoughts mostly, yet also those of the narrator make the book more interesting to follow.
Conflict: The initial conflict is when Mr.
Bingley starts to fall in...
...status and is wealth . At the begging , Darcy seems mean, and proud of his social status , that’s why he refuses to dance and to talk with Elizabeth .And even hurts her by talking about her family’s behavior . However in the course of the story , we realize that they are a perfect math , he is attracted by her intelligence and information in addition to her beauty , what makes him brake his promise in marrying Lady Cathrine de Bourgh’s daughter . witch proves to Elizabeth that he is worthy
of her love and that she had missed judged him .
Settings :
In the 19th century , since The story is written in 1813 , but we don’t know exactly when . It takes place in England , a place called Longbourne .
The novel Pride and Prejudice, takes place in England, in the 19th century. The protagonist of the Story is Elizabeth Benet. She lives modestly with her parents and five single sisters, Jane, Mary, Lydia and Kitty.
Their father Mr. Bennet is calm man
in contrary to her husband Mrs Bennet, a woman that is all surface and no substance. She wishes to see her daughters married to suitable rich men without looking at their happiness
Jane is the eldest daughter, she is beautiful, and respectful and calm and she is the antagonist best friend.
Kitty was a tall girl with a sense of humor, she was her mother’s favorite.
Mary likes music and spend her day reading.
...British Literature
8 Dec. 2012
Personal Response
Jane Austen’s novel, Pride and Prejudice, is a great representation of how life in the 1800s would have been. Placement in society played a major role and most of her characters only did what society permitted them to do. The people who you were surrounded around either broke you or made you an influence on the town. The women seemed to look only for someone to marry them, not for someone
to love them. The women in this novel, searched for men with wealth and power. They only looked on the surface and did not care enough to look beyond. They seemed like all other women of their time, only looking for a man to call husband, and to keep them as accessories, rather than lovers.
This book, in my opinion, did not show many deep feelings, or any love involved, apart from Elizabeth. It showed that most women were materialistic and believed what you possessed made you as a person. Marriage was not a sign of love represented in the book, but as just a prize to show off to others. The book does not show the characters with much individuality, projecting all the women looking for the same thing: a handsome husband with money. Looking at this, I think that Austen did it intentionally. All the other characters were foils to make Elizabeth stand out.
Austen may have very much exaggerated the desire of women desperately wanting marriage but, Elizabeth showed that not every decision...
...  Our honorable instructor, Professor Tang assigned us to read three novels in our National Day Vacation: Hills like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and A Woman On a Roof by Doris Lessing. Of these three, I favored Pride and Prejudice most, as apparently, neither the simple story of the sun-bathing woman in A Woman On a Roof was easier enough for me to understand its “representative of modern
women figures”, nor the ugly face of the man who persuaded his girlfriend to take a “perfectly simple” abortion in Hills Like White Elephant interested enough for me. So though I was actually a fan of the novel Pride and Prejudice, with a more than five times novel reading experiences, and a more than ten times movie audience experiences ( Pride and Prejudice starred Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen), I picked up this novel and read it in my vacation.
   I presume that Pride and Prejudice was a most comical one of Jane Austen’s novels. People around me regarded this novel as a love story, yet to me, the novel is an illusion of the environment, the society at those years. Elizabeth, or Lizzie, the heroine and Mr. Darcy, the haughty hero, a literary idol of girls like me, are the exceptions of the gender relationships at that time. In my humble opinion, the relationship between Jane, the second heroine...
...Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, the reader is faced to Sterne’s statement for some characters. One of them is Fitzgerald Darcy, the male protagonist of the novel. Darcy is a wealthy man whose mind is pulled in conflicting directions, between his true love, and his cold character, mostly his personal pride, which betrays him. This internal conflict with Darcy illuminates larger themes of the work such as, love and marriage, and as indicated in
the title, pride and prejudice. One of Darcy’s objectives is to court Elizabeth and marry her, because of his attraction to her at their first meeting. Throughout the novel the reader finds that the two protagonists, Elizabeth and Darcy are one another’s true love, and true love may be the best way to end Darcy’s conflict.
The first conflicting force is his love for Elizabeth, which is in fact his true love. At their first meeting, Darcy is attracted to her, and he begins to court her, but his feelings of superiority makes him struggle in seducing Elizabeth. She starts to form certain distaste for him. Plus his disapproval of Bingley courting Jane causes Elizabeth to dislike him intensely. It is when she rejects Darcy’s proposal in marriage that he realizes how others perceive his behavior, and he wants to show Elizabeth his devotion for her. This force shows Darcy’s desires of Elizabeth and his ambitions of marrying her, but his own character betrays him. His...
...Mrs. Barr
March 25, 2010
Essay: Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen introduces the theme of marriage in the opening sentence, “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife” (1).
Austen admonished this reasoning and believed that one should only marry for love.
She believed that marriage should not occur on the grounds of superficial feelings, pressures to marry, or wealth and
social status.
It is love, and only this, which enable the characters of the novel to be happily married.
The two main characters, Elizabeth and Darcy, undergo changes both in attitude and circumstances and in the end truly discover themselves.
Elizabeth fosters her own personal dislike of Darcy after his comment at the Merryton Ball: “S but not handsome enough to tempt me” (13).
Elizabeth overhears this comment and is left feeling like she took the brunt of his arrogance.
This comment is the greatest cause of Elizabeth’s prejudice against Darcy.
A major turning point occurs after Darcy’s proposal and the subsequent letter in which Elizabeth realizes: “vanity, not love, has been my folly…Till this moment, I never knew myself” (171).
As she examines her family, she realizes her own blindness to Wickham’s account of Darcy, and it becomes apparent that Darcy was cautious to associate himself with her.
It is this introspection of her own...
...Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen's novel Pride and Prejudice is a tale of love and marriage in eighteenth-century England.
It centres on the elder sisters of the Bennet family, Jane and Elizabeth. Their personalities, misunderstandings and the roles of pride and prejudice play a large part in the development of their individual relationships. The spirited Elizabeth and softhearted Jane
have to deal with not only their own feelings but also the status of their family, both of which affect the outcomes of their marriages. The struggle is very believable and realistic because the story takes place a long time ago. The way people interact with each other today is quite different than how they would interact with each other back then.
CHARACTERS:
Pride and Prejudice is an appropriate name for the book. These notions permeate the novel thoroughly, especially in the views of Elizabeth and Darcy. Jane's temperance does not allow for these qualities to exist in her personality. Mr. Darcy is characterized as a proud, haughty, arrogant man and ends up almost immediately alienating himself from the townspeople. This opinion arises after he refuses to dance with the young ladies who have attended the ball and his obvious reluctance to talk to anyone. His pride was said to come from his extreme wealth.
Our first introduction...
POPULAR ESSAYS
Share this Document
Please enter an email address:
Have a great research document you think will help inspire other StudyMode members?
Share your document
Get full access to more research and tools for only $0.33/day
Upgrade your Membership
More great study tools:【图文】英文介绍: Austen‘s Pride and Prejudice_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
英文介绍: Austen‘s Pride and Prejudice
&&英美文学的课堂展示
大小:674.00KB
登录百度文库,专享文档复制特权,财富值每天免费拿!
你可能喜欢Prideandprejudice;Class:English1Studentnum;Name:何青艳;Author:;JaneAusten,shewasanEngli;additional;novels,Northanger;AbbeyandPersuasion,;both;published;posthumouslyin1818,andbe;Book:;
Pride and prejudice Class:English 1
Student number: Name:何青艳 Author: Jane Austen,she was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature. Her realism, biting irony and social commentary as well as her acclaimed plots have gained her historical importance among scholars and critics.Jane Austen lived and worked at the turn of the century .she was the daughter of country clergyman ,and passed all her life in doing small domestic duties in the countryside.From her teenage years into her thirties she experimented with various literary forms, including an epistolary novel which she then abandoned, wrote and extensively revised three major novels and began a fourth.From 1811 until 1816, with the release of Sense and Sensibility (1811), Pride and Prejudice (1813), Mansfield Park (1814) and Emma (1815), she achieved success as a published writer. She wrote two additional novels, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, both published posthumously in 1818, and began a third, which was eventually titled Sanditon, but died before completing it.
Book: Pride and Prejudice is the most widely read among them.Austen began to write it when she was 21.But the manuscript “went begging”for16 years at the doors of publishers before it was published in 1813.Pride and Prejudice tells the story of Mr and Mrs Bennet's five unmarried daughters after the rich and eligible Mr Bingley and his status-conscious friend, Mr Darcy, have moved into their neighborhood. While Bingley takes an immediate liking to the eldest Bennet daughter, Jane, Darcy has difficulty adapting to local society and repeatedly clashes with the second-eldest Bennet daughter, Elizabeth.It is a very thin plot ,but around it the authoress has woven vivid pictures of the everyday life of simple country society. Plot summary: The first plot,the narrative opens with news in the Bennet family that Mr Bingley, a wealthy, charismatic and sociable young bachelor, is moving into Netherfield Park in the neighborhood. Mr Bingley is soon well received, while his friend Mr Darcy makes a less favorable
impression by appearing proud and condescending at a ball that they attend (he detests dancing and is not one for light conversation). Mr Bingley singles out Jane for particular attention, and it soon becomes apparent that they have formed an attachment to each other. While Jane does not alter her conduct for him, she confesses her great happiness only to Lizzie. By contrast, Darcy slights Elizabeth, who overhears and jokes about it despite feeling a budding resentment. The second plot ,on paying a visit to Mr Bingley's sister, Caroline, Jane is caught in a heavy downpour, catches cold, and is forced to stay at Netherfield for several days. Elizabeth arrives to nurse her sister and is thrown into frequent company with Mr Darcy, who begins to act less coldly towards her.Mr Collins, a clergyman, pays a visit to the Bennets. It soon becomes apparent that Mr Collins has come to Longbourn to choose a wife from among the Bennet sisters and Jane is initially singled out, but because of Jane's budding romance with Mr Bingley, Mrs Bennet directs him toward Elizabeth. After refusing his advances, and much to the consternation of her mother, Elizabeth instead forms an acquaintance with Mr Wickham,who relates having been very seriously mistreated by Mr Darcy, despite having been a godson and favorite of Darcy's father. This accusation and her attraction to Mr Wickham increase Elizabeth's dislike of Mr Darcy. The third plot,in the spring, Elizabeth visits Charlotte and Mr Collins in Kent. Elizabeth and her hosts are frequently invited to Rosings Park, coincidentally, Darcy also arrives to visit. Elizabeth meets Darcy's cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliam, who vouches for Darcy's loyalty, using as an example how Darcy had recently stepped in on behalf of a friend, who had formed an attachment to a woman against whom \were some very strong objections.\none other than Mr Bingley, and her dislike of Darcy deepens. Thus she is of no mood to accept when Darcy arrives and, quite unexpectedly, confesses love for her and begs her hand in marriage. His proposal is flattering, he is a very distinguished man, but it is delivered in a manner ill suited to recommend it. He talks of love but also of revulsion at her inferior position and family. Despite assertions to the contrary, he assumes she will accept him. The last plot,Darcy returns to Longbourn. Chance allows Elizabeth and Darcy a rare moment alone. She immediately thanks him for intervening in the case of Lydia and Wickham. He renews his proposal of marriage and is promptly accepted. Elizabeth soon learns that his hopes were revived by his aunt's report of Elizabeth's refusal to promise not to marry him. The novel closes with a \remaining lives of the main characters. None of the characters change very much in this summary, but Kitty has grown slightly more sensible from association with Jane and Elizabeth and distance from Lydia, and Lady Catherine eventually condescends to visit the Darcy. Main characters:
Elizabeth Bennet Elizabeth Bennet,the reader sees the unfolding plot and the other characters mostly from her viewpoint. The second of the Bennet daughters, she is twenty years old and is intelligent, lively, playful, attractive, and witty―but with a tendency to judge on first impression (the \of the title) and perhaps to be a little selective of the evidenceon which she bases her judgments. As the plot begins, her closest relationships are with her father, her sister Jane, her aunt (Mrs Gardiner), and her best friend Charlotte Lucas. As the story progresses, so does her relationship with Mr Darcy. The course of Elizabeth and Darcy's relationship is ultimately decided when Darcy overcomes his pride, and Elizabeth overcomes her prejudice, leading them both to surrender to their love for each other. Mr Darcy Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy is the male protagonist of the novel and is twenty eight years old. He is the wealthy owner of the renowned family estate of Pemberley in Derbyshire, and is rumored to be worth at least £10,000 a year. This is equivalent to anywhere from around £200,000 a year to around £10 million a year in 2014, depending on the method of calculation,but such an income would have put him among the 400 wealthiest families in the country at the time. Handsome, tall, and intelligent, Darcy lacks the social ease that comes so naturally to his friend Bingley. Others frequently mistake his aloof decorum and rectitude as further proof of excessive pride (he is the \strangers, such as the landed gentry of Meryton, Darcy is greatly valued by those who know him well. As the novel progresses, Darcy and Elizabeth are repeatedly forced into each other's company, resulting in each altering their feelings for the other through better acquaintance and changes in environment. At the end of the work, both overcome their differences and first impressions to fall in love with each other.
三亿文库包含各类专业文献、行业资料、高等教育、幼儿教育、小学教育、外语学习资料、文学作品欣赏、Pride and Prejudice(论文)38等内容。 
 Pride and Prejudice论文正文_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。On the Women’s Status Seen in Pride and Prejudice 论《傲慢与偏见》中女性的地位 ...  pride and prejudice傲慢与偏见 英美文学论文_文学_高等教育_教育专区。山东农业大学 英美文学实践课报告 题目 Pride and Prejudice 学院外国语学院 专业班级英语二班...  Pride and prejudice人物性格分析_英语考试_外语学习_教育专区。Pride and ...When she knows that 2 江西理工大学 2006 届本科生毕业设计(论文) her lover...  Pride and prejudice_文学研究_人文社科_专业资料。傲慢与偏见的英文论文,对四段婚姻法的分析 Jane Austen’s view on marriage in pride and prejudice Name:Jane...  From “Pride and Prejudice” Analyzing Love and Marriage 英语专业毕业论文_理学_高等教育_教育专区。英语专业毕业论文 From “Pride and Prejudice” Analyzing ...  Views on Marriage in Pride and Prejudice 《傲慢与偏见》中的婚姻观(英汉对照)英语专业毕业论文_英语学习_外语学习_教育专区。英语专业毕业论文 ...  Marriages in Pride and Prejudice 论《傲慢与偏见》中的婚姻观_管理学_高等教育_教育专区。英语专业毕业论文 XXXXX 大学 本科生毕业论文(设计)任务书 论文(设计)...  Marriage value orientation of money in Pride and Prejudice 英语专业毕业论文_理学_高等教育_教育专区。英语专业毕业论文 Marriage value orientation of money in ...}

我要回帖

更多关于 without prejudice 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信