We have only haveone earth,so we are all r______ for it

Through the Wormhole: Does Time Exist?
&-&&42 min
Share this Documentary:1.7k
Ratings: 8.60/10 from 67 users.
When you're having fun, time flies. Waiting in a traffic jam, not so much. Your birthday was last month, and your mortgage payment is due in a few days. The fact that we perceive time is certainly no illusion. But is it really there, or is it something we invented?
Early on in human history, we decided to start measuring the days and weeks, and eventually hours, minutes and seconds. Time was useful in organizing society, planting crops and getting ready for dates. Things worked extremely well until scientists started muddling it all up.
In the 17th century, English scientist Isaac Newton was pretty sure time existed as a universal constant. But in 1908, Hermann Minkowski, expanding on one of Einstein's ideas on the relationship between space and time, suggested a space-time continuum. This theory held that space and time were inextricably mixed, with all events occurring along the same timeline. Einstein presented his theory of general relativity not long after this and proposed that time is but an illusion.
Around the same time (if you believe in time, that is), the field of quantum mechanics grew out of an effort to explain the relationship between matter and energy. This presented a little problem for scientists trying to create a single, unified theory to account for the universe and its component parts. Quantum mechanics requires the existence of time to work. General relativity does not. List of all episodes here: .
More great documentaries
Documentary Categories
Recently Added
Highest Rated
Most VotedQ & A: How long would we have if the Sun went out? – Starts With A Bang
Yo ho! It’s hot, the sun is not a place where we could live.
But here on earth there’d be no life without the light it gives.
We need its light. We need its heat. We need its energy.
Without the sun without a doubt there’d be no you and me. –
Ahh, the Sun. Beautiful and blinding to the naked eye, it’s still the source of energy that gave rise to all of the life on Earth that we know.
Image credit: GOES satellite, in the X-ray.
The Sun emits energy all over the light spectrum, from long-wavelength radio waves (many meters long) to visible light to X-rays (just a small fraction of a nanometer). The surface of the Sun is an astounding 5,800 Kelvin, hot enough to melt (or sublime) absolutely everything we know, including tungsten, diamonds, and .
But not to worry, we’re a good 93 million miles (150 million km) away from it, where the temperatures are much cooler.
Image credit: the International Space Station crew.
I was recently asked a question that sounds simple, but is actually very deep:
How long would it take for us to notice if the Sun stopped shining?
Well, there are two ways to interpret this, and so I’ll give you the answer to both interpretations.
1.) The Sun . If you heat anything up to a temperature of 5,800 Kelvin, it’s going to emit light, much like your standard household bulb does. What if, for example, you suddenly cooled the Sun down to a much lower temperature so that it didn’t emit light anymore? How long would it take us, here on Earth, to notice that?
The only special thought you need to have is that the last of the Sun’s rays would still be on their way towards us when you turned the Sun off. And light doesn’t tr it travels at the ! So, depending where in its orbit the Earth is, it would take just under eight-and-a-half minutes (anywhere from 8:11 to 8:27, according to my calculations) for the lights to go out. And in this scenario, the Sun would go from its current colossal brightness to pretty much zero, instantaneously.
But what if I wanted a more physically realistic interpretation?
2.) The Sun’s source of power —
— suddenly stopped. This is a lot more interesting, and a lot more difficult to answer. Let’s take a look at the science of what goes on inside the Sun.
The core of the Sun — the innermost quarter of it — isn’t at 5,800 Kelvin. It’s more like 14 million Kelvin. Inside, it converts about 620 million tonnes of Hydrogen into Helium every second, releasing the energy equivalent of 1.8 billion of the
ever detonated. Every second.
But that energy that gets made in the core? Yeah, you wish it looked like sunlight. Instead, it’s ultra-high-energy , which will either give you green skin and huge muscles when you get angry,
or will cause , depending on whether you listen to
or medical science.
But, fortunately, these gamma rays have hundreds of thousands of kilometers of Sun to go through before they head towards us. And this, perhaps unsurprisingly, is hard.
Each gamma-ray photon, once made, travels a maximum of a few millimeters before it gets absorbed and re-radiated. But when this happens, it gets re-radiated in a random direction and at a lower energy. It’s still a photon, mind you, so it still moves at the speed of light, but it has to bounce around an incredible number of times, losing all that energy time and time again, until it finally reaches the surface of the Sun. Some take longer and reach lower energies, others get out more quickly while they still have higher energies, producing a nice, smooth spectrum.
How long does this process take? . That’s not an uncertainty, mind you. The ones that “get lucky” and get out quickly take about 10,000 years to do it, and are responsible for the highest energy (high frequency and short-wavelength) emissions of light, such as X-ray and ultraviolet light. The ones that take longer have more collisions and lose more energy, as they spend more time bouncing around in the Sun.
So what does this mean, overall? If the Sun suddenly stopped fusing hydrogen into heavier elements, here’s how things would change (neglecting the collapse of the interior of the star that would ensue):
For the first 10,000 years, everything would appea there would be no drop in any measurable quantity coming from the Sun.
After 10,000 years, the X-rays, UV-rays, and bluer forms of light would start to disappear from the Sun’s spectrum. To us, on Earth, it would appear that the Sun was gradually cooling.
After 170,000 years of gradual cooling, the Sun would have changed colors from yellow to orange to red to deep, dark red, and would have gotten progressively dimmer. Over these 160,000 years, the Sun would drop from its current brightness to about one-thousandth of that brightness. In other words, the Sun would look as bright from Earth as it appears from Pluto today.
Beyond 170,000 years, the Sun will fade out of the visible spectrum and will only at this point, there’s nothing left to prevent the Sun from collapsing under its own gravity.
So the answer, surprisingly, is that if the Sun “went out,” we’d have about 10,000 years before we noticed anything, and even then, it would just be a gradual dimming and cooling for over 100,000 years while we figured out what to do about it!
Luckily, with the laws of physics in place, this isn’t something we have to worry about, but that doesn’t mean I won’t cash in on the film rights…
What do you say, Hollywood?
Update: I have been informed that this movie : Sunshine. And it looks like I , too. (Thanks, SteveM and Nemo.) What can I say, Hollywood? There’s still …
July 12, 2010
I think a more appropriate movie then The Core is )
Post a comment
Current ye@r *
Leave this field empty
Subscribe via:
Recent Posts
“All sins have their origin in a sense of inferiority otherwise called ambition.” -Cesare Pavese
We’re halfway&
“Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” -Joseph&
“Celebrate the independence of your nation by blowing up a small part of it.” -The Simpsons
“How well I have learned that there is no fence to sit on between heaven and&
“I have this one little saying, when things get too heavy just call me helium, the&
“We have made the discovery of a new particle – a completely new particle – which&
“It used to be that Pluto was a misfit. Now it turns out that Earth is&
“All sins have their origin in a sense of inferiority otherwise called ambition.” -Cesare Pavese
After another&
“You can be the Moon and still be jealous of the stars.” -Gary Allen
Earlier this week,&
“Those who know that the consensus of many centuries has sanctioned the conception that the earth&
Subscribe via:
Categories114网址导航}

我要回帖

更多关于 only have 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信