in the recent pastpast my moth...

Man of War: My Adventures in the World of Historical Reenactment by Charlie Schroeder | 9 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble
Man of War: My Adventures in the World of Historical Reenactment
Add to List +
Please enter a list name
You entered an invalid character [!@#$%^&*()_+-{};"]. Please enter a valid alpha numeric character.
Please name your Essential List:
New Essential List
You may add a description of the list:
Please enter a list name
You entered an invalid character [!@#$%^&*()_+-{};"]. Please enter a valid alpha numeric character.
Please name your Wish List:
New Wish List
You may add a description of the list:
(Save 26%)$16.00 List Price
Add to Bag
Pick Up In Store
Reserve and pick up in 60 minutes at your local store
Find In-store
Enter your zip code
Other sellers (Paperback)
Available on NOOK devices and apps
NOOK Devices
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 7.0
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 10.1
NOOK HD Tablet
NOOK HD+ Tablet
NOOK eReaders
NOOK Color
NOOK Tablet
Tablet/Phone
NOOK for Windows 8 Tablet
NOOK for iOS
NOOK for Android
NOOK Kids for iPad
NOOK for Windows 8
NOOK for PC
NOOK for Mac
NOOK for Web
Want a NOOK?
All Available Formats & Editions
NOOK Book (1)
Paperback (1)
Hardcover (1)
Confederates in the Attic meets The Year of Living Biblically in a funny and original memoir
In Arkansas, there is a full-scale Roman fort with catapults and ramparts. In Colorado, nearly a hundred men don Nazi uniforms to fight the battle of Stalingrad. On the St. Lawrence River, a group of dedicated history buffs row more slowly than they can walk—along with author Charlie Schroeder, who is sweating profusely and cursing the day he got a book deal.
Taking readers on a figurative trip through time and a literal journey across America, Man of War details an ordinary guy's attempt to relearn history by experiencing it. Embedding with his fellow countrymen, Charlie Schroeder jumps headlong into the idiosyncratic world of historical reenactment. From encounters with wildlife and frostbite to learning more than he ever expected about guns, ammo, and buttons, Schroeder takes readers to the front lines of bloodless battles in order to show exactly how much the past has to teach us all about our present (and explain why anyone would choose to wear wool in a heat wave).
Editorial Reviews
The Wall Street Journal"An offbeat, occasionally insightful and funny memoir"
Jen Lancaster"Man of War is an unexpected treat! I was enamored of Charlie Schroeder's travelogue through the subculture of reenactment and fascinated by his modern take on ancient warfare. (Who knew the proper buttons were so important?) They say war is Hell, yet this book is a heck of a lot of fun."
Jay Winik"Charlie Schroeder has produced a rollicking good ride in this compulsively scintillating book. From first page to last, it is an often surprising delight."
J. Maarten Troost"A hilarious romp through 3000 years of history, one forced march at a time."
Henry Alford"The wonderfully funny and humane Charlie Schroeder has served his country valiantly, and now we should all honor him by buying his book. The best way to spread the word? A period-authentic confetti cannon."
The Washington Post…[a] delightful tour of the world of historical reenactments…Schroeder has a laid-back style that feels more like chatting with a friend over a camp fire than getting a historical lesson. He also has a sense of humor…anyone who wonders what makes reenactors dress up in uncomfortable costumes and brave the elements will enjoy this book.
—Timothy R. Smith
Kirkus ReviewsAn amusing and insightful memoir about the wacky world of historical reenactments. Living in Los Angeles, the past was never a subject that writer, radio producer and actor Schroeder spent much time thinking about, preferring to immerse himself in the never-ending stream of current events and activities of modern life. However, his perspective changed after attending the "largest multicultural living history event west of the Mississippi," which featured 75 groups including Romans, Vikings and Civil War and Revolutionary War soldiers. "I found it fascinating to learn about history in a three-dimensional, interactive way," writes Schroeder. "To ask questions of people who loved a time period so much they felt compelled to dress like one of its inhabitants." The author's curiosity extended to the "vibrant, eccentric subculture" of the reenactment world and feeling what participants describe as the "period rush"--the "sensation that you've traveled back in time." During his travels, Schroeder lit a canon at an old fort during a reenactment of a French and Indian W helped row a large wooden boat down the St. Lawrence River in an attempt to experience life in the 1700s; dressed up like a N volunteered to be a radio operator in a V and reenacted the Civil War in Florida. After traveling thousands of miles, reenacting more than 10 time periods and reading dozens of books on the subject--he even staged his own historical reenactment in Los Angeles--Schroeder realized he knew less about war but more about history and contemporary America. An entertaining read. The companionable author's gimlet eye rarely misses the absurd or touching incidents he encountered during his explorations.
CHARLIE SCHROEDER is a writer, public radio producer, and actor. His writing has appeared in the New York Times, Reader's Digest, and Los Angeles Times as well as in Best American Sports Writing 2006. Radio stories he has produced have been featured on NPR, including Weekend America, Only a Game, On the Media, and Soundcheck. He lives in Los Angeles, California. .
Average Rating 5
GOOD BOOK FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT WANT TO KNOW WHAT MAKES REEANCTORS TICK.
Was this review helpful? & Thank you for your feedback.
Thank you, this review has been flagged.
If you find inappropriate content, please report it to
Publisher doesn't hold rights to book
Publisher doesn't hold rights to cover image
Inaccurate description
Objectionable content
Please enter a valid email address. Thank you. A welcome email has been sent.
Visit NOOK in:
B&N Services
Shipping & Delivery
Quick Help同义句 1.My grandpa lived alone in the country in the past My grandpa __ __ __in the country __ __百度知道
同义句 1.My grandpa lived alone in the country in the past My grandpa __ __ __in the country __ _
4. The elderly should___ ____ ____.We should treat the elderly with kindness.The box is so heavy that I can&#39.
My grandpa __ __ __in the country __ ___.Dr Zhang got very tired after he ___ ___ ____ ____the patient同义句 1.My grandpa lived alone in the country in the past.3.2;t carry it.The box is ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___,he got very tired.After Dr Zhang operated on the patient
提问者采纳
The box is so heavy that I can&#39.My grandpa lived alone in the country in the past,he got very tired.
My grandpa used to live in the country by himself.After Dr Zhang operated on the patient.21.3.We should treat the et carry it.Dr Zhang got very tired after he had an operation on the patient.The box is not light enough to carry it.The elderly should be treated kindly4
提问者评价
其他类似问题
按默认排序
其他1条回答
加油;副词+TO DO STH
太……而不能……3.注.My grandpa lived alone in the country in the past.My grandpa (used to live ) in the country ( by herself ).The elderly should(be treated kindly ),he got very tired.After Dr Zhang operated on the patient.2,修饰动词要用副词4:TOO+ 形容词&#47.The box is so heavy that I can&#39,请采纳;t carry it!如果帮到你.The box is ( too heavy for me to carry)1.分析 operate on sb = have an operation on sb
给某人动手术.Dr Zhang got very tired after he (had an opreation on ) the patient.被动语动词.We should treat the elderly with kindness!不明白再问,谢谢
等待您来回答
下载知道APP
随时随地咨询
出门在外也不愁当前位置:
>>>I grew up in the 1950s with very practical parents. My moth..
I grew up in the 1950s with very practical parents. My mother washed aluminum foil(铝箔纸)after she cooked in it, and then she reused it. She was the earliest recycle(回收)queen before people had a name for it. My father was no different. He preferred getting old shoes fixed to -buying new ones. Their& marriage was good and their dreams were focused(集中).Their best friends lived just a wave away. Though my parents have passed away, I can see them now - Dad in trousers, a T-shirt and a hat and Mom in a house dress, lawnmower(割草机)in one hand and dishtowel in the other. It was the time to fix things -a curtain rod(挂帘杆),the kitchen radio, the screen door, the oven door, and so on. They fixed all things we had. It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing and renewing made me want to scream.1 wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant being rich. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more. I often thought like that. But then my mother died, and on that clear summer night, in the warmth of the hospital room, I learned that sometimes there isn't any more. Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away and it will never return. So, while we have it, it is the best that we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and cure it when it's sick.This is true for marriage, old cars, children with bad report cards, dogs with bad hips and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it and because we are worth it.小题1:We can learn that when the writer was young, she_______.A.thought highly of her parents' habitsB.often helped her parents fix old thingsC.often threw things away without being noticedD.at times hated it when her parents fixed old things小题2:What did the writer realize afier her mother's death?A.Her mother truly loved her.B.She had wasted a lot of money.C.Things may never return once they are gone.D.She had hurt her parents for many times.小题3:What is the writer's purpose in writing the passage?A.To advise us to love what we have.B.To encourage us to recycle old things.C.To explain why her parents recycled.D.To help us know about life in the past.
题型:阅读理解难度:中档来源:不详
小题1:D小题2:C小题3:A试题分析:这篇短文主要介绍了作者的父母是实用的的父母,经常修理,回收利用旧东西,一开始作者不是很了解,她认为富有的人是有浪费的资本的。但是在母亲去世后,作者认识到要珍惜自己所拥有的人和物,爱自己所拥有的一切。小题1:归纳理解题。根据短文第三段It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing and renewing made me want to scream.描述,可知作者有时候对父母行为很不满,故选D。小题2:归纳理解题。根据第四段描述可知在妈妈死后作者认识到我们最关心的东西在用光和消失后,它将永远不会返回,故选C,小题3:归纳理解题。根据第四段So, while we have it, it is the best that we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and cure it when it's sick.及第五段可知,当我们拥有它时,它就是最好的,我们爱它,照顾它。当它坏了我们修理它,病了治愈它。婚姻,孩子及旧汽车等也是一样的,所以我们要爱我们所拥有的。故选A
马上分享给同学
据魔方格专家权威分析,试题“I grew up in the 1950s with very practical parents. My moth..”主要考查你对&&人物传记类阅读,故事类阅读&&等考点的理解。关于这些考点的“档案”如下:
现在没空?点击收藏,以后再看。
因为篇幅有限,只列出部分考点,详细请访问。
人物传记类阅读故事类阅读
人物传记类阅读:本类型选材主要是名人轶事。人物传记的叙述线索也常常以时间为序。内容一般不是一个人的生活流水账,而是选取主人公一些重要的人生阶段或生活片段来展开叙述。阅读时要把握主人公在此阶段发生的事对他本身或他人有什么重要的意义和影响。 故事类阅读:文章一般描述的是某一件具体事情的发生发展或结局,有人物、时间、地点和事件。命题往往从故事的情节、人物或事件的之间的关系、作者的态度及意图、故事前因和后果的推测等方面着手,考查学生对细节的辨认能力以及推理判断能力。阅读这类材料时,同学们一定要根据主要情节掌握文章主旨大意,同时抓住每一个细节,设身处地根据文章内容揣摩作者的态度和意图,根据情节展开想象,即使是碰到深层理解题也可迎刃而解。故事类阅读注意:初中生接触到的阅读材料大都是故事类。阅读故事类的材料,应该抓住人物线索、地点线索、时间线索和情节发展线索。特别注意的是,以上线索往往是并存的。因为情节的发展总是涉及到人物的变化、时间的推移、场景的变换等。而阅读材料后的阅读理解往往会围绕这些内容设计一些事实类的理解题。凡事实类的理解题都可以从阅读材料的表层文字中找到答案。在阅读故事类短文时,应理解文章的深层含义,也就是它的主题。在此需要注意的是,现在的阅读理解题在测试事实类的理解题的同时,往往有一道推理类理解测试题.
发现相似题
与“I grew up in the 1950s with very practical parents. My moth..”考查相似的试题有:
26842874932299898264694282764124981}

我要回帖

更多关于 in the past 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信