you had better 的用法driv...

> 【答案带解析】 Renault Ménage: This 2-seating luxury c...
 Renault Ménage: This 2-seating luxury car provides a comfortable driving experience. But its powerful engine means you had better be prepared for a big fuel bill each week. Its fantastic look will make you the focus of all attention.Company: Renault, France.
Price:$85,000Fiat 500: Although expensive, it will soon pay for itself with the money you save on petrol. It has the most efficient and cleanest petrol powered engine. It has 4 seats and it is perfect for a family.Company: Fiat, Italy.
Price:$35,000Land Rover Discovery: With 7 seats, this car is suitable for all driving conditions. It has good control for driving in the city and the power for rough roads and carrying heavy things. But it consumes lots of fuel.Company: Land Rover, Britain.
Price:$51,999Hyundai i20: 4 seats inside. Perfect for short journeys but doesn’t have the power to make long distance driving enjoyable and comfortable. Still, at this price you can't complain and you'll be smiling when you have to fill up the tank too. It really saves fuel.Company: Hyundai, Korea.
Price:$8,000 1. Which of the following is true?A. Each car above has 4 seats.B. The four cars are made by European companies.C. Land Rover Discovery is the second most expensive of above.D. Both Renault Ménage and Fiat 500 consume lots of fuel.2. John needs to drive his two sons to school and he likes European cars. What may he choose?A. Hyundai i20 or Fiat 500.B. Fiat 500 or Land Rover Discovery.C. Renault Ménage or Fiat 500.D. Land Rover Discovery or Hyundai i20.3. Which of the following cars are greener?A. Hyundai i20 and Fiat 500.B. Renault Ménage and Fiat 500.C. Land Rover Discovery and Hyundai i20.D. Renault Ménage and Land Rover Discovery.4. If you choose a Land Rover Discovery, you will__________.A. spend less money on fuelB. take 5 people at most each timeC. be able to drive on rough roadsD. be more friendly to the environment5. Where can we see this passage?A. In a novel.B. In a news report.C. In a science magazine.D. In an advertisement. 
试题分析:本篇短文是关于四种不同型号的汽车的介绍,包括他的功能,性能,价格等。
1.C根据文中Land Rover Discovery: With 7 seats. Price:$51,999及第一个广告Renault Ménage:Price:$85,000可知Land Rover Discovery是以...
考点分析:
考点1:广告布告类
广告布告类阅读理解:
& & 阅读能力是中学生学习英语应具备的一种基本能力。学习英语的一个重要目的在于获取信息。通过阅读这一重要手段,我们可以大量地获取知识,拓展知识面,还可以增强语感,培养敏捷的思维能力。
阅读理解也是各地中考试题的必考题型之一,在中考试题中占有较大比例,主要考查学生通过文字获取信息的能力。在中考中,阅读的篇数一般是三到四篇,选材范围越来越广,除故事、幽默、人物轶事外,科普性文章也多了起来。体裁也趋于多样化,有记叙文、说明文、应用文等。还要求学生能理解及解释图表多提供的简单信息等。三四篇短文中有的难度跨度较大,以便拉开档次,体现选拔功能。并且扩大了选材范围,主要考查考生阅读所给材料,理解其中词语、句子或片段含义的能力。有时涉及对全文意思和篇章结构的理解,对一些问题作出推理和判断。阅读理解的考核中包括了对词汇、语法等语言知识的考查,要求学生具备一定的背景知识、各种常识、科普知识和一定的分析及逻辑推理能力;要求学生具有归纳段落大意、中心思想的能力。测试的方向由时间、地点、身份、人物等一些细节问题,改为测试对全文整体意义的理解程度;由考查短文的表层现象改为考对文章深层含义的理解和逻辑推断能力。另外,任务型阅读形式灵活多样,内容丰富多彩,联系实际,易考查学生的灵活运用能力和对语言的综合运用能力。在中考中占30-40分。
相关试题推荐
Audrey Hepburn won an Academy Award as Best Actress for her first major American movie, Roman Holiday, which was showed in 1953. But she is remembered as much for her help as for her acting.Born in Belgium in 1929, Audrey’s father was British and her mother was Dutch. Audrey was sent to live at a British school for part of her childhood. During World war Ⅱ, she lived and studied in the Netherlands. Her mother thought it would be safe from German attacks. Audrey studied dance as a teenager and during college. But when she returned to London after the war she realized she wasn’t going to be a ballet dancer. So she began taking acting parts in stage shows. Later she began to get small parts in movies.But it was Audrey Hepburn’s move to America that made her truly famous. In 1951 she played the character “Gigi” in the Broadway play Gigi and won popular praise. Two years later, Roman Holiday made her a star at the age of 24.Audrey made more than 25 movies. Among her most popular roles was “Hoolly Golinghtly” in Breakfast at Tiffany’s in 1961. Three years later she played “Eliza Doolittle” in My Fair Lady. She was married twice. In 1989, the UN Children’s Fund named Audrey a goodwill ambassador. She travelled all over the world in support of UNICEF(联合国儿童基金会) projects. The UN agency said she was a tireless worker. She often gave 15 interviews a day to raise money and get support for UNICEF projects.Audrey Hepburn often said her love to UNICEF was the result of her experiences as a child during World War II. She said she knew what it was like to be hungry and to be saved by international help. She was a goodwill ambassador until her death in 1993 from cancer.1.Why did Audrey live and study in Netherlands?A. She was born there.B. The schools were better there.C. She could stay away from war.D. Her parents wanted her to study ballet there.2. How old was Audrey when she acted in Breakfast at Tiffany’s?A. 32.
D. 15.3. What made Audrey work so hard to support UNICEF?A. Her parents’ wish.
B. Her love to children.C. Her wish to be famous.
D. Her own early experiences.4.What can we learn from the passage?A. Audrey lived in America in the 1950s.B. Audrey’s parents were both British.C. The character “Gigi” was her most popular role.D. Audrey gave up dancing when she went to college.5.In what order did Audrey do the following?①She began to appear in movies.②She returned to London from the Netherlands.③She played “Eliza Doolittle” in My Fair Lady.④She won an Academy Award as Best Actress.⑤She travelled all over the world in support of UNICEF projects.A.①②③④⑤
B.②①④③⑤C.①②④③⑤
D.②①③④⑤ 
Ask someone what they have done to help the environment recently and they will almost mention recycling. Recycling in the homes is very important. However, having to recycle often means we already have more products than we need. We are just dealing with the results of that over-consumption in the greenest way, but it would be much better if we did not bring so many goods home.The total amount of packaging(外包装) has increased by 12% between 1999 and 2005. It is 1/3 of a home’s waste in the UK. In many supermarkets, food products are packaged twice with plastic and paper. Too much packaging is doing serious damage to the environment. The UK, for example, is running out of land because of this unnecessary waste. If such packaging is burnt, it gives off greenhouse gases which go on to cause the greenhouse effect. Besides, the plastic from the package puts some creatures in danger, especially birds and fish.Recycling helps, but the recycling itself uses energy. The solution is not to produce such waste in the first place. Food waste is a serious problem, too. Too many supermarkets encourage customers to buy more than they need. However, few of them have the idea that this cannot continue. For example, supermarkets should encourage customers to reuse their plastic bags.But this is not just about supermarkets. It is about all of us. We have been used to the idea that packaging means excellence while anything unpackaged is of poor condition. This is especially true of food. But this idea has spread to other products, which often have far more packaging than necessary.There are signs of hope. As more of us recycle, we are beginning to realize just how many unnecessary goods are collected. We need to face the waste of our consumer culture, but we have a mountain to climb.1. What does the underlined word “over-consumption” in Paragraph 1 refer to?A. Using too much packaging.B. Recycling too many wastes.C. Buying more products than needed.D. Making more products than necessary.2.Which of the following damage of over packaging is NOT mentioned?A. It may waste land.B. It may pollute the food.C. It may do harm to the living things.D. It may make the green house effect worse.3. According to the passage, which of the following is true about recycling?A. It leads to a waste of land.B. It means burning packaging for energy.C. It is the only solution to the greenhouse effect.D. It helps reduce the harm caused by too much packaging.4. Why do people prefer packaged products?A. Supermarkets encourage them.B. People care more about packaging.C. It is necessary for all the products to have package.D. People think unpackaged products are of poor condition.5.What does the writer tell us in the last paragraph?A. Fighting waste is difficult.B. People don’t waste any more.C. People only recycle necessary goods now.D. We should continue our consumer culture. 
Some time ago I discovered that one of my chairs had a broken leg. I didn’t think there would be any difficulty in getting it repaired, as there are a lot of antique (古董) shops near my home. So I left home one morning carrying the chair with me. I went into the first shop expecting a friendly reception.
I was quite wrong.
The man wouldn’t even look at my chair.The second shop, though a little more polite, was just the same, and the third and the fourth. I realized that my approach must be wrong so I decided to try another way. I entered the fifth shop with a plan in my mind.
I placed the chair on the floor and said to the shopkeeper, “Would you like to buy a chair? Twenty pounds,” I said. “OK. I’ll give you twenty pounds for it,” he said. “It’s got a slightly broken leg,” I added. “Yes, I saw that.
It’s nothing,” the shopkeeper replied.Everything was going according to the plan and I was getting excited. “What will you do with it?” I asked. “Oh, it will be easy to sell after the repair is done.” “I’ll buy it,” I said.
“What do you mean? You’ve just sold it to me,” the man asked in surprise.
“Yes, I know. But I’ve changed my mind.
I am sorry. I’ll give you twenty-seven pounds for it.”
“You must be crazy,” he said. Then, suddenly the penny dropped. He shouted, “I know what you want. You want me to repair your chair.” “You’re right,” I said,
“And what would you have said if I had walked in and asked you to repair my chair?” “I wouldn’t have agreed to do it. We don’t do repairs, not enough money in it and too much trouble.
But I’ll repair this for you.
Five pounds will be the cost,” the man answered. He was a very nice man and was greatly amused by the whole thing.1.What happened to the writer in the first shop?A. He broke his leg.B. His chair was repaired.C. He was refused impolitely.D. The shopkeeper bought his chair.2.What does the underlined phrase “the penny dropped” in the last paragraph mean?A. The shopkeeper changed his mind.B. The shopkeeper accepted the price.C. The shopkeeper decided to help the writer.D. The shopkeeper found out the writer’s purpose.3. How much did the writer pay the shopkeeper at last?A. 5 pounds.
B. 7 pounds.C. 20 pounds.
D. 27 pounds.4. From the passage, we can learn that the writer was__________.A. honest
B. smartC. careful
D. crazy5.Which of the following statements is true?A. The writer wanted to sell his chair for 20 pounds.B. It was very easy to repair the writer’s broken chair.C. The writer succeeded in getting his chair repaired at last.D. The man in the first shop thought the chair was too old to repair. 
Amy was looking for a gift for her little daughter. Suddenly she
before a store of dolls. “Girls like dolls,” she thought as she stepped into it.Looking around, she saw a
doll – one with grey hair and a pair of glasses. In her mind appeared Joyce, her mother.When Amy was a little girl, she got her first doll from Joyce for her birthday. Then the second, third … A doll a year from Joyce never arrived
.“Why always a doll?” This
had been in Amy’s mind until one day she knew the answer.Little Joyce dreamed to have a doll. Her parents promised one for her
birthday. Sadly, they both
in a traffic accident before it arrived. The never-received gift was the most
thing in her eyes.Joyce’s story being recalled, Amy got an idea.It was Joyce’s 60th birthday. A parcel was sent to her, with a
that read,Dear Joyce,I forget to
you the parcel that you should have received on May 20, 1956, your fifth birthday. The gift inside has aged, but I felt that you might still wish to have it.Love, Angel of JoyJoyce opened the parcel and saw a lovely grandma doll. She held the doll tightly that she had waited so many years for, with tears running down her face. The doll, given by “Angel of Joy”, made her the
“child” in the world.1.A. Stopped
B. sat C. went
D. moved2.A. Mother
B. child C. grandma
D. daughter3.A. early
B. late C. sadly
D. lovely4.A. idea
B. mind C. question
D. answer5.A. Second
B. third C. fifth
D. sixtieth6.A. left
B. stepped C. dreamed
D. died7.A. helpful
B. important C. useful
D. careful8.A. gift
B. word C. card
D. parcel9.A. buy
B. send C. leave
D. show10.A. Happiest
B. saddest C. loveliest
D. smallest 
— Did you see Anna after class?— I saw her leave the classroom, but I didn’t notice __________after that.A. when did she go
B. where did she goC. when she went
D. where she went 
题型:阅读理解
难度:中等
Copyright @
满分5 学习网 . All Rights Reserved.Another Fine Mesh | CFD, Meshing, and More | Page 20
Philip Fackler, Intern on the Product Development Team.
Being the son of a man who has served as a pastor and missionary in several places, there isn’t a place I would call my hometown. The closest thing would be . Thankfully, this is where I went to high school because there I met my wife (of 8 years), Amanda. And where she is will always be home.
I have a B.A. in Mathematics from
(now University). I owe my initial interest in computational science (and CFD, specifically) to one of my professors there, .
I finished my M.S. in Computational Engineering about a year and a half ago at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, where I am currently pursuing a PhD in the same field.
My graduate research has focused on physics-based point placement for mesh generation using a “particle” dynamics simulation.
Location: Benbrook, TX (for the summer), Chattanooga, TN (for graduate school)
Current position: Product Development Intern
Current computer: Dell Vostro, Intel core i7 CPU 2.80GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 8
One word that best describes how you work: Precise
What software or tools do you use every day?
Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 for C++ (g) for writing G and Pointwise for testing and debugging…oh, and .
I also use the
apps (not at work) to talk to my wife who is back in Chattanooga, TN.
What does your workspace look like?
Philip’s current workspace.
I work downstairs in the development room within yelling-distance reach of all the fun and greatly talented people who write Pointwise and can point me in the right direction when I’m confused (which is the case more often than I would like to admit). Let me point out that the chair was my choice. I rarely sit comfortably in a chair that moves or has more than a small amount of padding.
What are you currently working on?
Most of the summer I’ve been updating or writing new CAE plugins for Pointwise (STAR-CCM+, Tecplot, Gridgen Generic, and PyFR so far). I’ve also written several Glyph scripts for carrying out useful operations in Pointwise that would be either very tedious or impossible from the user interface.
Right now I’m beginning some research work on a prototype code for high order mesh elevation and smoothing. The goal is to see if using radial basis functions for mesh movement is an effective means of propagating boundary curvature into the mesh interior without resulting in any cell overlap.
What would you say is your meshing specialty?
Point placement. I have very little experience making meshes by hand (I mean, using Pointwise), but my research as a student has focused on generating point distributions. What does it mean to have well-spaced points? And how can we generate such distributions? These are the types of questions my research considers.
Any tips for our users?
If you need some functionality that Pointwise doesn’t provide through the user interface, it’s likely very doable in a Glyph script. So write it yourself or put in a request for one. Watch this
to get introduced to Glyph scripting, and check out some great examples on the
to see what’s possible and how it’s done.
If you find yourself often repeating the same sequence of actions in Pointwise, let Pointwise write a script for you to do these steps automatically (Script & Begin Journaling…). See Help & Glyph Reference Manual.
If you need Pointwise to export to a file format not already supported, write a plugin.
David Garlisch has put a lot of work into making this task easy for anyone with experience in C or C++. Check out the
he recently made, and read the posts linked , especially the two concerning the Pointwise grid model.
What project are you most proud of and why?
Last semester (spring 2015), I took a second course on the finite element method. I knew at the start that the method’s theory is general enough to solve a wide variety of PDE-based problems and that the core logical steps are always the same for any dimensionality and problem type. So I took on the challenge throughout this course to write one code that could be used for all the project assignments given by providing “plug-and-play” problem definitions. I used a blend of inheritance and templating to express and take advantage of the genericity of the method and also minimize my use of dynamic polymorphism. It’s probably the most work I’ve ever done for a single course, and while a lot of it was unnecessary for the grade (I could have written a simpler code for each project) and the code will likely never get used, still being relatively new to the C++ way of doing things I was able to stretch myself and show myself a little more of what can be done.
What CFD solver and postprocessor do you use most often?
I rarely have a use for a CFD solver in my research. When I do, I just use a solver that I wrote. I mainly use
for visualizing my point distributions (and flow solutions on occasion), and sometimes .
Are you reading any interesting technical papers we should know about?
I just finished the . Probably I’m late on this one, since it was published in 2014, but if you haven’t read it and you are involved with CFD in any fashion, it’s worth the girth?. I’m also studying up on radial basis functions for mesh movement (see
Do you plan on attending any conferences or workshops this year?
I attended the AIAA Aviation Forum two weeks ago. I have no further conferences planned for the rest of the year since I will be busy teaching my first class this fall (Introductory Statistics).
What do you do when you’re not generating meshes?
I talk on the phone with my wife. I run. Amanda and I are beginning training (separately) for the
in Chattanooga, TN, this October. I read theology books (currently
by Michael Rydelnik and
by James Hamilton). I also follow the development progress of the
desktop environment and related Linux things primarily from .
What is some of the best CFD advice you’ve ever received?
I’m paraphrasing these:
“The most dangerous solution is one that looks about right.” –Dr. Tim Swafford
“Point locations don’t need to be exact…it’s just meshes.” –Dr. Steve Karman, Jr.
If you had to pick a place to have dinner, where would you go?
The first place that comes to mind is
in Wilmore, KY. It’s been too long…
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Applications
A visualization of vortical flow downstream of a drilling rig. Image from Scientific Computing. See link below.
MUST READ: From our friends at ANSYS comes this story of how CFD was used to design a method of . Specifically, the study showed how to “effectively curb pathogen inhalation by up to 55 times and improve fresh air inhalation by more than 190%.” What makes this work even more amazing is the researcher’s age: Raymond Wang is only 17 years old.
CFD was used in a study of
of semisubmersible offshore drilling platforms.
And another [perhaps the same?] use of . [But this one had a picture.]
Here’s an interesting compilation of research from the
including several fluids-related topics.
EnSight was used in a CAVE to visualize simulations of .
Using Tecplot Chorus an engineer can interrogate several CFD solutions simultaneously as shown in this example for a wing flap deflection. Image from Tecplot.
Tecplot released , their software product for interrogating and comparing multiple parametric CFD solutions simultaneously. This new release includes new capabilities for identifying design points that are edges of the parametric space and improved tools for managing thousands of simulations.
CFD solver
was released.
Also from the PyFR folks is this article about their use of .
Software Cradle released . [PDF]
has written a Fluent UDF for flames – specifically the interaction of turbulence and chemistry in a flame – and guest blogged about it on ANSYS’ site.
Aerosoft released .
Desktop Engineering wrote about the release of .
is a quad/quad-dominant surface mesher for Windows that’s free “for a long period of time” and uses OBJ files as the geometry definition.
A quad mesh for a T-Rex generated by ArtMesh. Image from Topologica.org. See link above.
News and Events
ANSYS has a lot of
all over the world for software developers and application engineers.
There’s an opening for a
in CFD modeling of biosciences in Maryland.
will include representatives from Airbus, Alstom, Ford, and many other companies.
in Tokyo have also been announced.
Rumor mill: AMD to go private and split into
For Your Reading Pleasure
targets scientists for whom writing programs isn’t their primary job but the tips are applicable to just about anyone.
Write programs for people, not computers.
Let the computer do the work.
Make incremental changes.
Don’t repeat yourself (or others).
Plan for mistakes.
Optimize software only after it works correctly.
Document design and purpose, not mechanics.
Collaborate.
LearnCAx is making available
for free. [Registration required.]
Want more reading?
is now available in its 2nd edition.
Are you familiar with the ?
Contests and Competitions
CEI will give a complimentary EnSight license to any participant in the
for visualizing simulation results.
Onshape is hosting a .
Crossing a Line Somewhere for Somebody for Certain
named “world’s sexiest math’s teacher” is said to enjoy modeling “wet steam flow.” No cliche is left unused in this article.
All I have to say is:
I hope this is not the start of a trend.
I ask all the ladies to not objectify me and please respect me for my mind.
Mesh Art – Coincidence or Intent?
Nick Wyman, Pointwise’s director of applied research, was working on an unreleased version of our meshing software and pressed the wrong button. The result, shown below, was what he termed objet d’art.
Nick Wyman, Objet d’Art, 2015. Click to see full size image.
Perhaps you’re thinking “Ha ha, that’s not art.” Well, consider the following. During last week’s AIAA Aviation conference in Dallas, Prof. Robert Haimes (MIT) and I spent an afternoon on an art appreciation tour around DFW and eventually found ourselves at the
standing in front of Alan Saret’s Deep Forest Green Dispersion (see images below).
What can you say now about meshes and art, intent and coincidence?
Alan Saret, Deep Forest Green Dispersion, 1969. Click image for large version.
Posted in , , , ,
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Sid Agarwal, Intern on the Technical Support Team.
I grew up in India in a small city called Karnal which also happens to be the hometown of late astronaut .
I finished my schooling with an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma in 2011. One of the IB Diploma requirements was a 4000 word essay on a topic of my choice. I wrote my essay on designing an airfoil to minimize wake turbulence. To run some experiments I built a small wind tunnel at home. Of course the project was naive and simplistic, however it made me want to learn more about fluid dynamics. That’s how I ended up at
for a BSc in Aerospace Engineering.
At Georgia Tech I had the opportunity to do some undergraduate research in CFD, or I should say, to begin to understand the challenges and complexities associated with it. All I can tell you about my results is that they were on the correct order of magnitude…most of the time. But, it made me want to learn more about CFD. So, when Pointwise offered me an internship it was a no brainer!
This summer I’m learning about grid generation with the Pointwise Support Team. Be it asking support engineers a ton of questions, or be it bugging the developers with (invalid) bugs, I am learning new things every day!
After this summer I am headed to Sweden for grad school. I will be starting my master’s at
in Stockholm. I am pretty stoked about the CFD classes I will get to take! My thesis will hopefully also be related to a CFD topic.
Current position: Support Engineer – Intern
Current computer: , 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD
MB, OS X 10.8.5
One word that best describes how you work: Sincerely
What software or tools do you use every day?
as my web browsers. Since my machine does not have , I use
for taking notes and sharing documents with my colleagues. I watch all the Pointwise training videos on .
What does your workspace look like?
Sid’s current workspace.
I work downstairs in the Support wing in
office. In addition to putting up with my questions, he also has to share his workspace with me.
My desk is pretty austere, except for the iMac on which I work. Besides the computer, there is always a
coffee mug filled with water in the morning and coffee in the afternoon. You may also see some merchandise from tech companies that John Chawner seems to have an endless supply of.
What are you currently working on?
Pointwise recently released . I was involved in the regression testing process. As part of the process, I worked through the tutorials in this latest Pointwise version to make sure that the content of the tutorial workbook is still relevant. I also helped verify that the bug-fixes for this version were working as intended.
I am currently writing (DIY) tutorials for the website. These small exercises demonstrate basic concepts and “tricks” that allow users to generate grids more effectively.
Other than that, I am working on creating a series of unstructured grid families for the trap wing geometry that was used in the . Right now I am focusing on four grid families. The first two will employ different surface meshing algorithms – Delaunay and Advancing Front. Both of these will then use the Delaunay algorithm for volume grid generation. The second two grid families will be T-Rex versions of the first two (for enhanced boundary layer resolution using anisotropic tetrahedra). This project will serve as a benchmark for future studies and workshops.
What would you say is your meshing specialty?
I am still new to grid generation and CFD in general. Creating grids for the trap wing geometry is helping me learn a lot about unstructured meshing. I am hoping that by the time I am done generating grids for this project I will have a strong grasp on the best practices and techniques for unstructured meshing – both with and without anisotropic tetrahedral extrusion (T-Rex).
Any tips for our users?
“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” – Abraham Lincoln
I remember using Pointwise for a research project at Georgia Tech. I opened the software for the very first time, imported my geometry, and started meshing right away. I didn’t spend time “sharpening the axe.” As a result, I was extremely inefficient.
There are a variety of tools such as the
and tutorials demonstrating meshing techniques, tips, tricks, and best practices available on . Spending a little time on these tutorials upfront will save you a lot of time later on.
What project are you most proud of and why?
I would go with my ongoing project of grid generation for the .
There are a lot of iterations involved in the design process because we want to adhere to good meshing practices while at the same time maintaining similar characteristics across different grid families. So I have had to revisit the grids I already created due to design decisions that were made further along in the process. That being said, it is a great project to work on!
The luxury of being surrounded by grid generation experts means that I am learning about the best meshing practices, getting instant feedback, and learning handy tricks to save time – a much more pleasant experience than me trying to figure out everything on my own on a Friday night in the Aerospace computer lab at Georgia Tech.
What CFD solver and postprocessor do you use most often?
I don’t have much experience with CFD solvers and postprocessors, yet. I have only used
for one of my projects to analyze transonic flow around a DLR F6 Wing. I used one of the structured grids submitted for the workshop.
Are you reading any interesting technical papers we should know about?
I’m reading John Steinbrenner’s Construction of Prism and Hex Layers from Anisotropic Tetrahedra to learn more about T-Rex and cell combination techniques.
Do you plan on attending any conferences or workshops this year?
Yes! I am attending
on June 23rd in Dallas. I will be at the Pointwise booth most of the time, but I am hoping to catch a presentation or two as well.
What do you do when you’re not generating meshes?
Making myself a latte in the upstairs kitchen.
Every now and then I also like taking a break from the hustle bustle of the city to go hiking. I prefer wilderness hiking because of the peace and quiet. It helps me relax. It also makes me appreciate the little things when I get back – like a warm and dry bed. However, I also enjoy hiking on well marked trails from one town to another, which is quite popular in Europe. In summer of 2013 I hiked the entire Kerry Way in Ireland. I did not mind having a Guinness and some fish & chips after long hikes and chatting with the locals. It was a pretty neat way of travelling the country! Last summer I hiked with a group of from Georgia Tech in Everest National Park in Nepal. Yes, we got a pic of THE Mount Everest.
A view of Mt. Everest on a hike through Everest National Park in Nepal.
It was a breathtaking hike with spectacular scenery and a unique cultural experience. This summer, I am hoping to hike the Kungsleden trail in Sweden.
Besides hiking, I also enjoy learning languages. I have been learning German for three years now and am pretty much fluent in it. I usually wake up twice or thrice a week at 4:30 am for my Swedish
tuition. I am trying to learn as much as I can now so that I can pick up the language faster once I move to Sweden for graduate school. I am also taking beginner French lessons on Skype every Sunday.
What is some of the best CFD advice you’ve ever received?
For the trap wing geometry project that I am working on I needed a farfield that is located at 50 times the body length. I was advised to divide such a big farfield into an inner and an outer farfield. This approach had two significant advantages:
My block(s) initialized 10-15 times faster.
It allowed me to have greater control over grid resolution in the vicinity of the wing.
If you had to pick a place to have dinner, where would you go?
Have you ever tried Indian-Chinese cuisine? It is the “Chinese” food you will find in India and is absolutely phenomenal! My favorite place is
in New Delhi.
, , , , , , ,
Grid generation is the most important step in the CFD process. Without a grid, you cannot even perform a CFD simulation. Even meshless methods require a grid, also known as a lattice. Grid generation sits at a very critical stage in the CFD process. It is the preprocessing step following CAD, prior to running a CFD simulation, and where the majority of your personal time is spent during analysis. In fact, grid generation is where you have the most direct influence over the accuracy and convergence of the simulation.
Not all grid generators are created equal however and it is up to you to determine the best tool for the job. Whether you are setting up a new CFD workflow or looking to improve a preexisting process, here are five questions to ask when shopping around for a preprocessor.
1. How well does this preprocessor fit into my design and analysis process?
What you are looking for here is the ability to import geometries and grids from the tool(s) you use and export native grids and boundary conditions to the solver(s) you use. If you are currently working with two different CAD packages, an in-house design tool, your own code for generating part of the grid, and three different CFD solvers depending on the application, ensure the software works with everything you use. This question lets you know how flexible the software is now and what you can expect in the future. Will the preprocessor easily integrate into your process, or will it try to make you fit into its process?
2. How does it handle dirty geometry?
Not all geometry is created equal. Sometimes you may import geometry from your CAD package or receive geometry from a customer, and it will be dirty. The preprocessor you use should be able to clean analytic CAD and/or allow you to mesh over the problem areas.
3. How automated is the meshing process and is it scriptable?
Let’s face it, meshing is the bottleneck of the CFD process. That being said, automation can go a long way toward reducing your time spent meshing. This question will uncover if the software employs a bottom up or top down meshing process. Each offer automation, but you may find that some approaches come at the cost of robustness and/or control. Frequently, automatic meshing methods fail to produce a mesh or produce a mesh that is not suitable for your needs. What alternatives does the preprocessor offer for completing the mesh or improving the quality of an automatic mesh that is not up to standards? You may also find that some software is extensible through scripting. Scripting can enable you to automate part or all of your meshing process allowing you to get more done in less time without sacrificing control over your grid.
4. How much control does it provide throughout the meshing process?
Every simulation is different and therefore meshing requirements change. Pick a tool that gives you options, such as the ability to generate structured, unstructured, hybrid, and overset grids when necessary. Don’t settle for one or the other or a tool that requires you to pay for each module separately. Who knows when you’ll need to use a different meshing technique to meet your project requirements. Many preprocessors sacrifice control in the quest for push-button meshing. Don’t settle for that either. Look for a preprocessor that gives you control over every step of the process. What does control buy you? You can generate higher quality grids with fewer cells by having control over refinement and grid type when and where you need it.
5. What happens when you call for technical support?
You will probably have questions, run into bugs, or have great ideas that you’d like to see implemented in the software. Having someone to contact directly is as important if not more important than the software itself. Would you prefer your first phone contact to be with a help desk person reading questions from a script, or would you like to be able to call or email your own technical support engineer directly? Dig deep here. Ask them to describe the life of a bug, how it is reported, and how long before you can expect to get a fix. Uncover the process by which feature requests become actual features in the software. Ask if support is limited and how long it typically takes to get a response to a question. And find out if they offer training. You may be surprised to learn that free training is offered once you become a customer to help you get up to speed with the software.
Before committing to an evaluation or a purchase, compare the answers you receive with the requirements of your group. If the two align you may have found the preprocessor you’ve been looking for.
, , , , , , , ,
More than once in the past week I was asked by folks attending AIAA Aviation in Dallas for BBQ and Tex-Mex restaurant suggestions.
My initial reply was to remind folks that I’m in Fort Worth and only go to Dallas when I absolutely have to.
So I reached out to my friends for recommendations and here’s what they said. (Please note: I haven’t been to any of these places myself.)
– Open 11a-3p daily, this is said to be a casual joint. Plus it seems to be relatively close to the Hilton Anatole. 2234 Irving Blvd.
Blind Butcher
– Open 4p-2a, this place is a bit more upscale and farther away. 1919 Greenville Ave.
– It’s said you’d better make reservations for this place over on 901 Ft. Worth Ave.
Pecan Lodge
– This was called the “best BBQ around” but be warned – they run out of meat as the day progresses. 11a-3p Tue-Thu & Sun, 11a-10p Fri-Sat.
– This is a new location in the Oak Lawn district and appears to be open all day. 1201 Oak Lawn.
– The original and most authentic. 1601 McKinney
– Classic architecture and authentic food. 1525 Main St.
Iron Cactus
– Patio upon patio upon patio. Three floors of patios. 1520 Main St.
Whether it’s Tex-Mex or BBQ I’m certain you’ll find some good food in Big D. And when AIAA brings a conference to Fort Worth I’ll be able to give you first-hand recommendations.
Posted in ,
News & Events
In this article about ‘s 30th anniversary we learn that a) 40% of their clients are in the automotive industry, b) they’ll bring in about $300 million this year, and c) an IPO may or may not be in their future.
Did you know there’s an
site on Stack Exchange?
Proceedings from the
are now available online.
shares a bit about their presentation from PAR CFD 2015.
An illustration of new CAD capabilities coming in STAR-CCM+ v10.04. Image from CD-adapco. See link below.
, a C++ library for FEA methods, is now avaiable.
Another example of “way out there” user interface technology is , which uses 60 GHz radar to track sub-millimeter motion (i.e. a highly accurate gesture interface). [My first reaction was to wonder whether it detected “micro changes in air density.” Only fans of Alien will get that reference.]
Here’s another preview of new features coming in , this time involving CAD data. (See image above.)
Applications & Jobs
They don’t know where, when or how but research published in Notices of the American Mathematical Society used CFD to conclude that flight
crashed into the ocean in a near vertical dive. [The article’s use of the word “solved” in its headline is laughable.]
LR Senergy was awarded a patent on a CFD-based method for simulating an entire gas/oil well for optimization called .
TotalSim seeks an experienced
with OpenFOAM experience in the UK.
Tessellated Wood
An alert reader (unfortunately I deleted their original message) pointed me to ‘s online photo blog and this untitled photograph of a stack of lumber. Despite not being a fan of photography in general, I kinda like this natural tessellation.
Jay Mantri, Untitled, 2015
Bonus Section
Because I’ll be at
in Dallas virtually all of next week, there won’t be a This Week in CFD post next Friday. (AIAA says they’re going to make me a “Social Media Ambassador” so watch for tweets and other social sharing from me tagged #aiaaAviation.) To help you avoid withdrawal, enjoy this plethora of “stupid fluid tricks.”
Ruslan Kkasanov created a follow-up to his video from two years ago and now explores the interaction of ink, oil, soap and glitter: .
Ruslan Khasonov, Odyssey. Image from Colossal. See link above.
Clemens Wirth used a special rotatable set and camera rig to film, , that’s less disorienting than you’d think and is instead full of simple wonderment.
Clemens Wirth, Gravity. Image from Colossal. See link above.
What happened when John Edmark 3D printed sculptures, spun them, and filmed them with a strobe? Magic. .
John Edmark, Blooms. Screen capture from Vimeo. See link above.
If you prefer to interact with your fluid art rather than just look at it, give
a try. Source code available.
George Corney, Fluid & Particles in WebGL. See link above.
Posted in , , ,
, , , , , , , ,
An adjoint method for conjugate heat transfer is coming in STAR-CCM+ v10.04. This image shows heat transfer on a cooled turbine blade. Image from CD-adapco. Click image for article.
At least two of the nine projects for
funded by the DoE’s National Energy Technology Lab involve CFD.
Teach yourself graphics programming with OpenGL with the free online tutorial at .
was released for OpenFOAM meshing.
was released. [A little late on this news.]
Tecplot announced a partnership with WaterCube for , a software tool for visualizing, validating, and managing river, reservoir, and stream data. Tecplot is hosting a on this topic on 02 July.
Applications and Events
This amazing image of a wind turbine wake comes from FieldView and is a teaser for how you can reduce data size by 3 orders of magnitude without loss of fidelity. Image from Intelligent Light. Click image for article.
Registration is now open for the
Best of the
web for April 2015.
You can read about the
in the latest report from Jon Peddie Research.
Exa contributed to the use of CFD for the aero design of the Ligier JS P3 . [It’s when I see cool cars like that when I question why I’m not more of a motorsports fan.]
This truly puts the user in user interface. Tactum is a project by Madlab and Autodesk Research that lets you design wearables by drawing directly on your body and sending the result to a 3D printer. Anyone ready to mesh themselves? As first seen on SolidSmack. Click image for article.
Dealing with the Absence of Content
[aka Reading This Blog]
Artist Anish Kapoor has done it again. I first encountered his work when we at Pointwise took a tour of
here in Arlington, Texas. The Jones family has filled the venue with art – and not just paintings in private suites but huge installations throughout the facility for the enjoyment of all visitors.
One of the more recent acquisitions is Kapoor’s , a 35 foot diameter polished stainless steel mirror.
This is a selfie of our Pointwise group reflected in Anish Kapoor’s Sky Mirror at AT&T Stadium.
A newer work by Kapoor is Decension, a dark, perpetually swirling whirlpool [swirlpool?]. Kapoor gives general insight into his work by saying he’s interested in unseen spaces, voids, and horizons. He ties Decension and Sky Mirror together this way [emphasis added by me]:
“The odd thing about removing content, in making space, is that we, as human beings, find it very hard to deal with the absence of content. It’s the horror vacui. This Platonic concept lies at the origin of the myth of the cave, the one from which humans look towards the outside world. But here there is also a kind of Freudian opposite image, that of the back of the cave, which is the dark and empty back of being. Your greatest poet, Dante, also ventured into a place like that. It is the place of the void, which paradoxically is full – of fear, of darkness. Whether you represent it with a mirror or with a dark form, it is always the “back”, the point that attracts my interest and triggers my creativity.” -Anish Kapoor
Read more about Decension
(including a video) and visit Kapoor’s . I propose that any commercial CFD company should be proud to have this installed in their headquarters. It’s an apt metaphor for CFD – the fluid simulation and visualization is very cool but what concerns us most deeply is what lies beneath whether it be numerical algorithms or physical models.
And then there are those of us in meshing looking up from the bottom of the dark pool. Which let’s me end with a Nietzsche quote: “When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.”
Anish Kapoor, Decension. Image from Visual News.
[Sorry. This last bit was perhaps too much of a self-indulgent digression.]
Posted in , , , ,
, , , , , , , , , ,
"Always a good read."
~Monica Schnitger
Another Fine Mesh is "A must for everyone interested in CFD!"
~CFD Online
This Week in CFD is "a bit of a mecca for the CFD community."
Email Subscription
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Join 2,398 other followers
Pointwise's Links
Learn how to examine cell aspect ratio this
in Pointwise
I’m Massimiliano Fontana and This Is How I Mesh
Mastering Geometry Cleanup Tasks in Pointwise webcast starting in 5 minutes.
Recent Posts
Top Posts & Pages}

我要回帖

更多关于 had better 的用法 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信